criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Is this game dead?

Nihil
208 posts Member
So I came back after about half a year and after a few days of playing I noticed something.
Outside og Galactic Assault where somehow you get Kashyyk over and over again constantly, other game modes are pretty hard to play because of insufficient players.

And an additional thing is the forum.
I made for example a post 2 days ago and i noticed that my post is still in the middle section of the 1st page. Usually if a game has an active playerbase, the forums are that active too that posts which are not getting replies, are falling back to the 2nd, 3rd 4th....ect page in just hours. But here.....2 days and still on first page with only about 2-3 topics having an active conversation.

Is there something we should be worried about? :D

Replies

  • d0kRX
    1490 posts Member
    Nope, nothing to worry about. But when in doubt load up BF2015 and play some cargo! it simply is one of the BEST game modes ever created and I don't know why they didn't add it to this game as well.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • Its hard to find game modes for Ewok Hunt, Hero Showdown....the most. Those two game modes are typically the most empty. You can still find some game modes for Hero Showdown at least on the console.

    Then the next two hardest game modes to find games for are Hero Starfighters & Starfighter Assault. Typically you will find more Starfighter Assault games than Hero Starfighter games. Again you can still find games for both though on the consoles....it just takes longer to find a game like 5 minutes or so instead of immediately.

    The rest of the game modes are going pretty strong still. HvV & GA are the two most played game modes.


    @d0kRX Agree SWBF 2015 is still going strong and it's been out over 3 years now. Man I want to play it right now. That game is far less buggy and has so many awesome games modes and maps.
  • No I don't think it's dead but definitely could use better updates on game modes. I also think they never should have limited player experience and max level to 50.
  • Its hard to find game modes for Ewok Hunt, Hero Showdown....the most. Those two game modes are typically the most empty. You can still find some game modes for Hero Showdown at least on the console.

    Then the next two hardest game modes to find games for are Hero Starfighters & Starfighter Assault. Typically you will find more Starfighter Assault games than Hero Starfighter games. Again you can still find games for both though on the consoles....it just takes longer to find a game like 5 minutes or so instead of immediately.

    The rest of the game modes are going pretty strong still. HvV & GA are the two most played game modes.


    @d0kRX Agree SWBF 2015 is still going strong and it's been out over 3 years now. Man I want to play it right now. That game is far less buggy and has so many awesome games modes and maps.

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.
  • Cadoth
    1182 posts Member
    Nihil wrote: »
    Its hard to find game modes for Ewok Hunt, Hero Showdown....the most. Those two game modes are typically the most empty. You can still find some game modes for Hero Showdown at least on the console.

    Then the next two hardest game modes to find games for are Hero Starfighters & Starfighter Assault. Typically you will find more Starfighter Assault games than Hero Starfighter games. Again you can still find games for both though on the consoles....it just takes longer to find a game like 5 minutes or so instead of immediately.

    The rest of the game modes are going pretty strong still. HvV & GA are the two most played game modes.


    @d0kRX Agree SWBF 2015 is still going strong and it's been out over 3 years now. Man I want to play it right now. That game is far less buggy and has so many awesome games modes and maps.

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.

    I think we were in the same match of hero star fighters something like two days ago and you were saying in the chat that you’ve never played it, then we all quitted because of the infinite waiting time. But maybe it wasn’t you
  • Nihil wrote: »

    Is there something we should be worried about? :D

    On Xbox I find games no problem , just wait till Earl arrives then people will play more!
  • Nihil wrote: »

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.

    The point of the mode is to upgrade your hero starfighers that's it....if you try to upgrade your hero starfighters on SFA then it would take you a year and a half or more to accomplish. The game can actually be pretty fun once you understand most of the hero ships and have some star cards for them.

    Yeah i could see if your starting off with no star cards and getting dominated by the people with them that the game mode wouldn't be very fun.
  • Nihil wrote: »

    Is there something we should be worried about? :D

    On Xbox I find games no problem , just wait till Earl arrives then people will play more!

    Yeah and wait until after that when Anakin comes......I'm sure more people care about Anakin than Dooku.


    I want Dooku though personally because I just love his elegant lightsaber combat.
  • Nihil wrote: »

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.

    The point of the mode is to upgrade your hero starfighers that's it....if you try to upgrade your hero starfighters on SFA then it would take you a year and a half or more to accomplish. The game can actually be pretty fun once you understand most of the hero ships and have some star cards for them.

    Yeah i could see if your starting off with no star cards and getting dominated by the people with them that the game mode wouldn't be very fun.

    Yeah but that's the issue. HvV starfighter assault is almost the same as Starfighter assault, but without an objective and that you are only starting as a starfighter.
    The game mode should be similar to HvV regular game mode. Where you respawn as a hero ship and you are going for 10 kills.
  • No. It is pretty easy to find games.

    Haven't played since ages and you still didn't gave up on OOM-9? :D
  • It's a slow death. It's taking longer to find full matches, and many of the datacenter options are now gone. I think EA has just about abandoned Battlefront 2. Hopefully the new game that's coming out this year will be interesting, but I believe it is single player only.
  • EA/DICE's basic problem is the Cost of Entry is too high.

    PC/Xbox/PS 4 (decent hardware costs - $100s) + High Speed Internet connection (or lower for mediocre speeds or for people like me who live in areas with little-to-no-options - $100s) + EA/DICE software + Add-ons ($100s) .. just to get started.

    Fortnite, e.g., is more popular among young kids because they can just play with $100s less investment cost in software. Fortnite makes enough with in-game purchases to sustain themselves; my son never complains of lack of matches or mismatches. Fortnite comes out with game updates almost every quarter now. (And, granted, Fortnite doesn't have to pay royalties to Disney for licensing Star Wars stuff, I feel like our dues have been MORE THAN paid to Disney in the software purchases alone.)

    EA/DICE's second problem is Complexity.

    By comparison (to Fortnite), BF1 and BF2 feel like they are still incomplete. Updates are far-&-few. Bugs are numerous (but, that is somewhat forgivable given how broad the abilities are in BF2 - with all the additional calculations going on, these things are going to happen). BF1 has far fewer bugs because it is a simpler construct---most of the grunts have similar skills & abilities. One blue-star in BF1, say, got you a thermal detonator. In BF2, there aren't any more blue star power-ups anymore, but there are 15 or 20 different varieties of thermal detonators and each has its own effect and power-rating. Each Hero or Villain has its own abilities: also with varying degrees of effect. All that makes for dizzying amounts of data to calculate in each second of game time.

    Fortnite has a few bugs that I've seen when my son plays, but the set is fewer. The game variety is limited to skin/appearance selection before game play. Stuff that will not affect game play itself, which hasn't altered dramatically in the past couple of years. Two big pluses for Fortnite then: reduced data packets & processing requirements mean the game lag is better & Fortnite can afford to permit voice communication between players. Battlefront, with each new Hero or Villain, adds in a plethora of new variables for the CPUs and GPUs of the world to process and another chunk of data packets to stream across the internet. Inter-team communication is implausible.

    Note: you can really see this ugly aspect rear its head when the Game Masters permit 5 or more Heros/Villains in GA games.

    EA/DICE's tertiary problem - Heroes versus Grunts

    There seem to be a great number of players here clamo(u)ring for more specializations: more heroes, more villains, more special abilities. Which is fine---given how much we've all invested in these software projects, it seems more than reasonable that end users would want (and should get) such from EA/DICE developers.

    I myself would like to see a return to focus on grunts; restricting Hero & Villain use to say 2 per-side in a GA. 3-aside already stresses out many of the confined areas of combat: Endor stage 4, Kasshyk stages 3 & 4, Naboo stages 3 & 4, Starkiller base stage 2, Crait stage 2, etc. It's hard enough for the match-making algorithm to balance teams based on grunt-skill alone. It's impossible, I think, to do so when you then throw in Heroes and Villains of varying skill in to the mix. And this is one of the main complaints we often see in these forums - match-making imbalances. I personally, do not care whether we win or lose... it's a game to me. I actually think the match-making algorithm is working rather well. From time-to-time, I get placed on a team with little-to-no-hope of accomplishing anything... so be it.

    Still, I'd like DICE/EA to spend time fixing up the grunts. Here's why:
    1. A solid grunt line should be a staple of this software product. Heroes and Villains are the exceptions to the game. Even Iden Versio was advertised as a grunt - albeit one with exceptional talents - but a grunt none-the-less. Neither BF1 nor BF2 really centered its theme around "play like a jedi" in their release promotions.
    2. All players begin Battlefront as grunts. Jedi & Sith operatives come later.
    3. At any given time, numerically, grunt troops out-number Heroes and Villains. Even when taking Heroes v. Villains in to consideration, I'd bet there are still far more grunts being played at any given time on the systems world-wide than non-grunts.
    4. Grunts gel better with teammates. Grunts, e.g., cannot spawn in with jedi or villains and keep pace with them; grunts have less maneuverability. One often sees heroes or villains grouping together in galactic assaults - as they can protect each other. Grunts, do the same thing, as they tend to have similar capabilities. (Still not sure why Bossk, Han, Finn, or even Leia can jump like a jedi ... . I really hope they curb a LOT of the jedi/sith maneuverability when Anakin & Dooku are released. It's rather absurd to see all heroes and villains able to run and jump like jedi. Those should be special skills, maybe even star-card skills, reserved for a select few.)
    5. Focusing on grunt effects (more emotes, e.g., I like the idea of an emote-wheel, more weapon choices as BF1 gave us, more build-out flexibility, etc.) will improve game play overall and even out more of the imbalances often reported in these forums. Especially if they could have incorporated many of the BF1 aspects in to BF2, ... say give the BF1 users an upgrade path to BF2 ... many more players would BE in BF2. To-date, my family and I still spend a lot of time in BF1 because we can enjoy that code more as grunts---we don't have to suffer as many over-powered heroes in that version as grunts. (yes, yes, Luke and the others are just as Exceptional in that version, but there are fewer of them... )

    If EA/DICE can sustain a solid grunt offering, then they can carry on with experiments and add-ons of the exceptional heroes & villains... hopefully without tipping the scales too greatly in any direction, without adding too much complexity for the CPUs & GPUs, and without an extensive amount of new network traffic. Battlefront begins with the grunts.
  • Nihil wrote: »
    Nihil wrote: »

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.

    The point of the mode is to upgrade your hero starfighers that's it....if you try to upgrade your hero starfighters on SFA then it would take you a year and a half or more to accomplish. The game can actually be pretty fun once you understand most of the hero ships and have some star cards for them.

    Yeah i could see if your starting off with no star cards and getting dominated by the people with them that the game mode wouldn't be very fun.

    Yeah but that's the issue. HvV starfighter assault is almost the same as Starfighter assault, but without an objective and that you are only starting as a starfighter.
    The game mode should be similar to HvV regular game mode. Where you respawn as a hero ship and you are going for 10 kills.

    No objective.................that's hilarious!!!The objective is the same objective has any elimination game mode ever created in any video game ever......be the last team to survive! They do best of 3 to ensure that the first victory wasn't just a fluke.

    The game mode is pretty fun......it's practically the same thing as regular HvV, but better because there aren't randomly assigned targets and you just have to eliminate the other team. A LOT of people in this game ACTUALLY have more of a problem with the target game mode system in HvV than the elimination game mode itself. More people have actually requested changes to HvV or a new HvV game mode itself because most people hate the target system. That is the entire reason why the game mode Hero Showdown was created. People have come to accept the target HvV game mode, but there are still regularly requests from the community to create yet another HvV game mode because of the dislike for the target system.

  • Nihil
    208 posts Member
    edited January 15
    Nihil wrote: »
    Nihil wrote: »

    Yeah I wanted to try hero starfighter, and did 2 days to find a game. (maybe i was just unlucky)
    But no wonder that game mode isn't popular. It's basically a short dumbed down version of Starfigter Assault without objective, and only difference is, you start with a Hero Ship. But just for start.

    The point of the mode is to upgrade your hero starfighers that's it....if you try to upgrade your hero starfighters on SFA then it would take you a year and a half or more to accomplish. The game can actually be pretty fun once you understand most of the hero ships and have some star cards for them.

    Yeah i could see if your starting off with no star cards and getting dominated by the people with them that the game mode wouldn't be very fun.

    Yeah but that's the issue. HvV starfighter assault is almost the same as Starfighter assault, but without an objective and that you are only starting as a starfighter.
    The game mode should be similar to HvV regular game mode. Where you respawn as a hero ship and you are going for 10 kills.

    No objective.................that's hilarious!!!The objective is the same objective has any elimination game mode ever created in any video game ever......be the last team to survive! They do best of 3 to ensure that the first victory wasn't just a fluke.

    The game mode is pretty fun......it's practically the same thing as regular HvV, but better because there aren't randomly assigned targets and you just have to eliminate the other team. A LOT of people in this game ACTUALLY have more of a problem with the target game mode system in HvV than the elimination game mode itself. More people have actually requested changes to HvV or a new HvV game mode itself because most people hate the target system. That is the entire reason why the game mode Hero Showdown was created. People have come to accept the target HvV game mode, but there are still regularly requests from the community to create yet another HvV game mode because of the dislike for the target system.

    I think you heavily misunderstood my point.
    Objective.......understand: A stratagical or tactical goal your team has to accomplish together.
    Yeah in a literal meaning, "be the last man standing" in a deathmatch or team deathmatch game can be called as an objective. But it is something one of the 2 sides in a game will reach.....whatever the circumstances and independently how focused people are on reaching it. But i had hoped, i don't need to explain this. Take a real life example. Yes, taking in enough nutrition each day to stay alive is literally an objective of your life. But if you speeak about goals or objectives in your life you want to achive, your last thought will be. "well I want to manage to eat enough".
    Now do we understand each other? ;)

    And I disagree. That game mode isn't better than regular HvV. And even in regular HvV, the targets are not totally randomly assigned.care and observe, you will know who will be the next target.
    And the not that good targeting system of HvV isn't as close as a huge problem as the "respawn as a regular fighter" in HvV Starfighter.
    Not being able to play for the entirely of the HvV Starfighter as a Hero ship just elliminates the games purpose. But no wonder almost nobody is playing it. This is the hardest game mode to find a match.
    And again, have to argue with the point that Hero Showdown was created because of the issues of HvV. If this is so, they would have just change that game mode and not create a new one in parallel. hero Showdown was created because of the popularity of this kind of game mode in the past and people wanted to have it as a NEW game mode.
  • Nihil wrote: »

    I think you heavily misunderstood my point.
    Objective.......understand: A stratagical or tactical goal your team has to accomplish together.
    Yeah in a literal meaning, "be the last man standing" in a deathmatch or team deathmatch game can be called as an objective. But it is something one of the 2 sides in a game will reach.....whatever the circumstances and independently how focused people are on reaching it. But i had hoped, i don't need to explain this. Take a real life example. Yes, taking in enough nutrition each day to stay alive is literally an objective of your life. But if you speeak about goals or objectives in your life you want to achive, your last thought will be. "well I want to manage to eat enough".
    Now do we understand each other? ;)

    And I disagree. That game mode isn't better than regular HvV. And even in regular HvV, the targets are not totally randomly assigned.care and observe, you will know who will be the next target.
    And the not that good targeting system of HvV isn't as close as a huge problem as the "respawn as a regular fighter" in HvV Starfighter.
    Not being able to play for the entirely of the HvV Starfighter as a Hero ship just elliminates the games purpose. But no wonder almost nobody is playing it. This is the hardest game mode to find a match.
    And again, have to argue with the point that Hero Showdown was created because of the issues of HvV. If this is so, they would have just change that game mode and not create a new one in parallel. hero Showdown was created because of the popularity of this kind of game mode in the past and people wanted to have it as a NEW game mode.

    Yeah and you misunderstand me.....elimination is a game mode and it requires even more strategy and tactics than regular HvV where you continue to spawn in as a hero.

    I know that there is a slight pattern to how the target is picked......but it's still also partly random and the system also partly sucks. Most everyone knows that.

    The problems are as follows:
    1. The system picks a new target when only one person is alive on the team.....it obviously has picks them. Instead it could wait until the team respawns to pick the next one. The other team might have all 4 characters already attacking or surrounding that player waiting for them to be selected as the target, so they can get a quick and easy 2nd victory.
    2. You could also have your whole team alive and you get selected as the target and get force pushed off the ledge right when it gets close to finishing...which easily happens to blaster heros.....by the time you become the target you are still falling off the ledge and the enemy gets another instant win. If you are falling and not touching the ground the system should select a different target, so that people can't abuse force pushes off the ledge while the timer is counting down. It's really unbalanced for the lightside because of this fact. The lightside has 5 blaster characters that this can easily happen to, while the dark side only has 3.5. I say 3.5 for the darkside because boba gets both evade and his jet pack which can either cancel the force push or allow him to get out of range sometimes.....the rest of the blaster heros only get the evade maneuver. The system should require that the next person to become the target should be standing on the ground in bounds. If you force push them off the ledge before the timer finishes counting down then it should switch to another person This happens a lot too when the first issue happens, which is why it is an even bigger problem. It's fine to rush in and force push someone off the ledge, but when the person is free falling to their immediate death the target selection should know this and switch to some else or just wait until the rest of the team respawns to select the next target.
    3. People have gotten really good about timing these all out because they know that most likely, even though not always, the specific person that they are facing will become the next target.
    4. Another issue is that people still go AFK a lot in HvV and it will pick them a lot of the time because they are sitting there in bounds and they are alive........another easy kill. The game should require a random button press to join the next game to ensure that the person is at the controls when the game starts and not AFK. At some point since they are still AFK it will out kick them and if they are the target then the enemy team gets another instant victory without doing anything.
    5. Another problem is that if the teams becomes unbalanced from people quitting, usually due to any of the above issues, or because they are getting dominated, the game mode doesn't wait to rebalance the teams. It continues to allow the dominating team to steam roll the team with less players. This happens a lot to the lightside because of all reasons that the darkside has become OP in HvV. If you compare Hero starfighter to HvV you will see that the elimination game mode has a better setup because after each round it waits to ensure that the teams are balanced before beginning the next, so the victory will be determined by skill and actual game play rather than an imbalance of team players. You are able to do this with the elimination game mode, but not with the current target system in the HvV mode. This now generally leads most all of the new players quitting out of the game and emptying the lightside team and giving an instant game over victory achieved to the darkside. Happens to lightside too, but not as much.
    6. The other major problem and this happens a lot when you are playing by yourself, is that the "Game Balancing" in the system currently rebalances the teams to ensure that you will lose if you have won the last 3 rounds and allow the other team to win, so that they don't quit. I have played thousands of HvV games by myself....so I speak from experience.Dice might have changed it slightly via a server side update within the last week or two because now it seems like every 5th or 6th round it rebalances the teams so that you lose now instead of every 3rd round. This issue adds to the previous issue.

Sign In or Register to comment.