criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Tips on Starfighter Assault?

In GA, if you can't beat 'em so you join 'em. But on Starfighter assault the team balance is always skewed toward the lightside it seems unless there is no team balance. They are smaller, vastly more agile and certainly have better abilities. Since you can't just start being an officer, for instance, how the heck do you start winning and beat the A wings, X wings, etc.? Since Ties are so clunky its hard to target the others let alone out maneuver them.

Replies

• Yes the light side ships are superior to the dark side (in the original and first order era’s as the Tri-fighter is excellent) but it’s still possible to do well with them, the bomber is good for avoiding being locked on to and packs quite a punch but is slow turning, the tie fighter is my go to ship as it’s pretty good all round, it can out turn an X-wing and it’s barrage will take out most things! I don’t use the tie interceptors as they are not (in my opinion) as good as the tie fighters.
  • It doesnt matter which faction you play as or which ship you choose. If you know your ships advantages and disadvantages upu will still wreck it.

Try flying in first person. It allows you to fly much closer to cover and most will crash trying to get you. Also you get a more focused view of whats in front of you. Just make sure you have a mental idea of what others are doing around and behind you.

Always turn up or down. Turning left or right to turn around makes no sense as it takes ages. Where as taking a dive and turning around takes no time at all.

Turn on advanced flight and turn off auto level. Learn how to barrell roll effectively.

When you barrell roll combine it with a vertical flip and you have done an advanved maneuver.

Oh and learn which star cards are reaaally good.

Engine power/speed is a very effective one as it means you fly faster which means you can keep just out of range of blaster fire and it means when you slow right down to do a tight turn you can get back up to max speed fast leaving players wondering what the hell just happened.

I use engine upgrades on the falcon and it improves your survivability by 40%
  • Plus TIE fighters are faster than X-wings and have more power and better turn speed. Separatist fighters are worse than the ARC by quite some amount. But FO fighters again easily out do xwings.

The TIE interceptor is a mini tank and is as fast as an a wing. The Tri fighter is an absolute beeeeaast. And FO tie inteceptor is classss.

The TIE bomber is quallllity and can reduce a spawn wave to dust. Same with the separatist bomber.

You just need to git gud.
  • New_Roosterman
    458 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Light side ships "better"? Not really. It just takes some adapating. With the dark side, I'd suggest staying with the fighter class as it is the best allround ship to adapt to and get the feel of the Empire/Separatists/First Order. Once you start feeling comfortable with that class, try the bomber. Leave the interceptor class for later, especially the TIE Interceptor for the Empire as you will find its rapid overheating on its cannons frustrating.

With a dark side fighter, use the barrage ability wisely. Make sure you have a shot lined up properly before you use it. You can shred most light side ships with it.

Also if you stick with the fighter class at first when playing the dark side, use your after burner ability judiciously. It is good for breaking missile locks, and for getting you "out of dodge". As I often say to people, think "hit and run" tactics when using them and you'll start getting a handle.

Finally, use cover to duck behind. Many people fly a straight line, and don't use the cover on the maps. It makes you easy pickings.

Anyways, happy hunting.
    Post edited by New_Roosterman on
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • I thought your tips were good until I went up against some noob on GA. I am a level 21 fighter. I have increased health, increased weapon damage, increased weapons systems. I owned him first and saw A level 4 noob using no star cards. But every single time he would beat head on even though I shot first and used barrage without missing, just they way he was. Total bull.
  • Btw, I was a Tie, he was an X wing.
  • Honestly, I think he was aim botting. I also noticed he would get an immediate lock on me while I was not even in his line of sight.
  • I thought your tips were good until I went up against some noob on GA. I am a level 21 fighter. I have increased health, increased weapon damage, increased weapons systems. I owned him first and saw A level 4 noob using no star cards. But every single time he would beat head on even though I shot first and used barrage without missing, just they way he was. Total bull.

Head to head with an X-Wing can be dangerous as they do have slightly more health. Also add in the R2 unit's repair ability and it can help him survive. The X-Wing has quad fire, so it in turn can shred an average TIE with it.

Yes it is possible he could have been cheating, but also it is possible he could have fired first which is why he took you down. As such, consider avoiding head to head attacks, especially against Y-Wings.
    51bvn954fmlp.png
  • Ok if I revive this topic?
    Ahead of the triple xp weekend I'm trying to "git gud"
    So noob question, but am I actually trying to hit that white circle ahead of the ships? Is that the sweet spot?
    I never seem to be able to get a number of hits in before I'm toast so only end up with single figure eliminations by the end of the game. The only way I seem to rack up points is by playing the objective.
    I'd just like to get up to at least 20 kills too.
    Any help appreciated.
  • The dot is the sweet spot. Eventhough I would like to have a chance to toggle it off.
  • jonci
    921 posts Member
    Yeah its the sweet spot, but to be fair don't try and aim directly at it, it messes you up by trying to concentrate on one spot instead go in the general area just in front, as the ships is moving its easier to hit there.

Don't chase a target, get a few hits in n move on nothing worse that getting in a wizzing contest with 1 player, n if you are a noob you will generally lose against a more experienced player, besides if any one else finishes them off you get an assist kill, also look for any that are nearly low health n finish them off, preferably up close n personal will give you the missile kills for those milestones you have to do.

Fly around not straight, n expect to die a lot, there are a lot of great players out there n will punch the cobblers out of you any chance they get.

Get kills by clearing those rat spawn campers as well, they think its cool to do it but its cheap, i get quite a few kills clearing them out, (look around quickly on respawn as well just in-case the vermin are waiting.
    Its a great mode n you will have fun playing it.
  • I have noticed that the imbalance on this is worse than nearly any other game mode continually. I have improved significantly but as usual my team gets creamed with me as the only top 5 guy from my team.
  • Gold_Cpt_Vander
    53 posts Member
    edited January 14
    I have noticed that the imbalance on this is worse than nearly any other game mode continually. I have improved significantly but as usual my team gets creamed with me as the only top 5 guy from my team.

Actually there is balancing. We have seen that after some rounds top scorers are moved between the teams. And the maps have always one "Attacking" and one "Defending" team.
    And Defending with an Y-wing is easy. As well as is defending as you have it on respawn closer to the defence zone.

If you attack you always split up your focus between fighters and objectives. Like when you try to hit the 3 blockade runners as Empire above Endor. There is always a blob of rebel fighters under the star destroyer. Get a bomber, get near the objective, try to scratch it, die and repeat.
    Star Cards:
    Star Cards are great and improve your fighter drastically. The biggest step is when hitting lvl 12. Even though you get toast when hit fully by a lvl 0 Tie-Fighter barrage. And that is good that it is like that.

Targeting out of sight:
    Check Keyboard setup. There is a button for:
    -looking back
    -Select Target manual
    -Target Enemy that is firing on you. (At least I think the button does that.)

Git gud:
    I started I think 3 or 4 weeks ago and have improved drastically. The main step was to change mouse sensitivity. Check youtube. There are videos on pushing them way up so you can turn around without moving the mouse big time. And also reduced tolerance so the crosshair really moves where you are pointing.
  • Hi,

Really pleased to see some love for the best game mode in SWBFII.

I'm an SFA mainer but I have been playing a lot less over the past few months due to lack of content.

There are some great points above, and I'm really pleased @Gold_Cpt_Vander mentioned the look-behind button.

Here are some my tips:

1) Don't ever get into 1 to 1's (unless you're in the TIE Sliencer) where you just fly around in circles avoiding/chasing each other. It keeps you off your mission for too long, is a complete waste of time for the pay off if you manage to kill them, and you run the risk of enemy teammates seeing what's going on and picking you off easily. Start your tight turn, then speed boost off towards teammates, debris or other obstructions.

2) Use brake to get tighter turns but be careful who's around as a slow SF is a dead one.

3) Always try to attack with the sun or light behind you, and if you are escaping pursuit to try and regen health, fly towards the sun, jinking around.

4) Right tool for the right job. If you're not going for Objectives, and instead are going for kills, use the interceptor. Even the TIE Interceptor which gets a lot of hate for it's overheating and alleged weakness is a monster. I can't think when I last used a basic fighter by choice. I think the X-wings are terrible because they're neither one nor the other. I like the ARC170 and the rear gunner is great when defending on Kamino, but normally I'll run an interceptor. Which brings me to:

5) Level up your Star Cards for lasers before anything else. As said upthread, whatever you do, you should get used to being killed a lot, so using skill points on speed or health is a waste, I think. The Resistance and Alliance A-wings are unstoppable with the 3 laser SCs; fire rate, damage, overheating. I've not mentioned torps because, well, it's so easy to out-manoeuvre missiles, they're only really good for turrets and obj play, which really you're not going to be doing so much in an interceptor. (I'm a complete hypocrite here, though, because I use an A-Wing on the FO Star Destroyer with torps, but that's because its manoeuvrability inside the Star Destroyer (phase one) is so much easier with an A-wing.

6) Turn-rate SC is a great addition if you're having problems shaking attackers - especially if you can't get to the battlefront because of spawncamping pigs. But as you get better, I think you'll need this less and less.

7) Get used to the differences in play in Arcade. Set a custom game up and get experience.

8) AI SFs will constantly veer away from the objective if you start attacking them, and before you know it you can be chasing a lone TIE at the edge of the map. Go for players.

9) Mind games: Make judicious use of the missile lock ability. Many players panic when you do this, and you can mess with their focus. You don't have to even use it to kill them. Mostly this is for hero ships. An experienced Slave 1 with upgraded turn/speed and seismic charge radius can annihilate teams, so it's good to give him a scare. But make sure if you're in an interceptor, you don't fall within his boom radius if you do decide to go after him.

10) Escaping Slave 1: When you see the little white Seismic charge icon on the screen, aim your ship up or down (vertical to the objective plane) and boost the hell up or down. You'll survive Boba that way, even without the Y or X-wing astromech regen ability.

11) make Y-wing takedowns your priority fodder. These'll do serious damage and many users spam the Ion Cannon with its super-tracking. If you get caught in a barrage of Ion bolts, move on a plane below the Y-wing or directly above. The turret doesn't track 360, and can't fire down, the Y is slow, and you'll have the upper hand.

12) Dumb-fire missiles and torps on static objectives.

13) Slow down when firing at an objective if it's safe to do so, so you get more hits.

14) Try to always take down a revenge fighter as long as it doesn't contradict point 1. You get 100 points for revenge

15) Hang back a bit when reamamtes are attacking an objective. The enemy will swarm onto them, and you can sweep them up from behind.

16) Fondor and Kamino, are points magnets. If you're leveling up, these maps can give you huge rewards.

17) Hit and fade. Hit and fade.

18) Many players favour the FO TIE Intercepor over the vanilla fighter, but I find the fighter far more damaging.

19) Play as much HSF as possible (if you can find a match!). It's the most reliable way to upgrade your hero ships unless you're such a good player you can get them quickly in SFA. If you do want to upgrade them, take out turrets as you'll get the same points as a normal SF rather than the reduced rate. Never go head to head with another Hero unless you're in the falcon, Slave 1, or Sith Infiltrator. IMO Lando's Falcon is the best Falcon due to its high manoeuvrability when SCs are upgraded. It's also the most entertaining in terms of dialogue :wink: . But, this might not be true for you. We all have our preferences.

20) Speaking of Hero Ships: it can be tempting to go on killstreaks with Slave 1 etc, but I think you're better serving your team when you hit the objective. It requires canny flying - esp in Fondor and D'Qar field generators - but you'll be smashing the obj to pieces. If you're a defending hero or villain, please use your ship to take out any enemy heroes. I've seen more games than I can count where H or V ships are flying above the skirmish taking out fighters and not contributing to the match. Again, this is of course your right to decide, but it's a bit of a waste.

21) Yoda becomes unstoppable when you upgrade his health regen card. Poe is always a safe bet in a match due to speed and BB8. Luke's not as good due to his overheating, but his Jedi instincts torpedo slays everytime. Kylo's Silencer has incredibly powerful missiles but they're slow.

22) If you've the choice to pursue a moving or static objective, go for the static one: When I play Endor Debris or Fondor I see players make a beeline for the Corvettes/Cruisers (it's the only objective afterall); it's easier to do more damage on a moving target that you can follow, than a static one that requires many fly bys. the enemy knows this, and so will tail you bejond the corv and smash you. When the round generators appear, chain link them.

23) Learn to fly close and fast in debris. After a while it becomes second nature.

I'm sure there're countless more but I'll have to come back as I remember any.

pH
  • Everything written above is true. Except maybe 5) and 6). Upgraded Turnrate on an A-Wing/interceptor let you turn super fast on low speed and you can hit the enemy ship if you are in a circle battle. So Turnrate SC and Faster Dakka SC, and Better Cooling SC is enough to take anything down.

Maybe a
    24) Never fly straight into the red blob from spawn point height. After Respawning fly up or down and then move to the Action.
  • Also, you might find the lag in SFA terrible in the SF triple XP weekender. Try HSF if so.

pH
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm an SFA mainer but I have been playing a lot less over the past few months due to lack of content.

There are some great points above, and I'm really pleased @Gold_Cpt_Vander mentioned the look-behind button.

Here are some my tips:

1) Don't ever get into 1 to 1's (unless you're in the TIE Sliencer) where you just fly around in circles avoiding/chasing each other. It keeps you off your mission for too long, is a complete waste of time for the pay off if you manage to kill them, and you run the risk of enemy teammates seeing what's going on and picking you off easily. Start your tight turn, then speed boost off towards teammates, debris or other obstructions.

2) Use brake to get tighter turns but be careful who's around as a slow SF is a dead one.

3) Always try to attack with the sun or light behind you, and if you are escaping pursuit to try and regen health, fly towards the sun, jinking around.

4) Right tool for the right job. If you're not going for Objectives, and instead are going for kills, use the interceptor. Even the TIE Interceptor which gets a lot of hate for it's overheating and alleged weakness is a monster. I can't think when I last used a basic fighter by choice. I think the X-wings are terrible because they're neither one nor the other. I like the ARC170 and the rear gunner is great when defending on Kamino, but normally I'll run an interceptor. Which brings me to:

5) Level up your Star Cards for lasers before anything else. As said upthread, whatever you do, you should get used to being killed a lot, so using skill points on speed or health is a waste, I think. The Resistance and Alliance A-wings are unstoppable with the 3 laser SCs; fire rate, damage, overheating. I've not mentioned torps because, well, it's so easy to out-manoeuvre missiles, they're only really good for turrets and obj play, which really you're not going to be doing so much in an interceptor. (I'm a complete hypocrite here, though, because I use an A-Wing on the FO Star Destroyer with torps, but that's because its manoeuvrability inside the Star Destroyer (phase one) is so much easier with an A-wing.

6) Turn-rate SC is a great addition if you're having problems shaking attackers - especially if you can't get to the battlefront because of spawncamping pigs. But as you get better, I think you'll need this less and less.

7) Get used to the differences in play in Arcade. Set a custom game up and get experience.

8) AI SFs will constantly veer away from the objective if you start attacking them, and before you know it you can be chasing a lone TIE at the edge of the map. Go for players.

9) Mind games: Make judicious use of the missile lock ability. Many players panic when you do this, and you can mess with their focus. You don't have to even use it to kill them. Mostly this is for hero ships. An experienced Slave 1 with upgraded turn/speed and seismic charge radius can annihilate teams, so it's good to give him a scare. But make sure if you're in an interceptor, you don't fall within his boom radius if you do decide to go after him.

10) Escaping Slave 1: When you see the little white Seismic charge icon on the screen, aim your ship up or down (vertical to the objective plane) and boost the hell up or down. You'll survive Boba that way, even without the Y or X-wing astromech regen ability.

11) make Y-wing takedowns your priority fodder. These'll do serious damage and many users spam the Ion Cannon with its super-tracking. If you get caught in a barrage of Ion bolts, move on a plane below the Y-wing or directly above. The turret doesn't track 360, and can't fire down, the Y is slow, and you'll have the upper hand.

13) Slow down when firing at an objective if it's safe to do so, so you get more hits.

14) Try to always take down a revenge fighter as long as it doesn't contradict point 1. You get 100 points for revenge

15) Hang back a bit when reamamtes are attacking an objective. The enemy will swarm onto them, and you can sweep them up from behind.

16) Fondor and Kamino, are points magnets. If you're leveling up, these maps can give you huge rewards.

18) Many players favour the FO TIE Intercepor over the vanilla fighter, but I find the fighter far more damaging.

19) Play as much HSF as possible (if you can find a match!). It's the most reliable way to upgrade your hero ships unless you're such a good player you can get them quickly in SFA. If you do want to upgrade them, take out turrets as you'll get the same points as a normal SF rather than the reduced rate. Never go head to head with another Hero unless you're in the falcon, Slave 1, or Sith Infiltrator. IMO Lando's Falcon is the best Falcon due to its high manoeuvrability when SCs are upgraded. It's also the most entertaining in terms of dialogue :wink: . But, this might not be true for you. We all have our preferences.

20) Speaking of Hero Ships: it can be tempting to go on killstreaks with Slave 1 etc, but I think you're better serving your team when you hit the objective. It requires canny flying - esp in Fondor and D'Qar field generators - but you'll be smashing the obj to pieces. If you're a defending hero or villain, please use your ship to take out any enemy heroes. I've seen more games than I can count where H or V ships are flying above the skirmish taking out fighters and not contributing to the match. Again, this is of course your right to decide, but it's a bit of a waste.

21) Yoda becomes unstoppable when you upgrade his health regen card. Poe is always a safe bet in a match due to speed and BB8. Luke's not as good due to his overheating, but his Jedi instincts torpedo slays everytime. Kylo's Silencer has incredibly powerful missiles but they're slow.

22) If you've the choice to pursue a moving or static objective, go for the static one: When I play Endor Debris or Fondor I see players make a beeline for the Corvettes/Cruisers (it's the only objective afterall); it's easier to do more damage on a moving target that you can follow, than a static one that requires many fly bys. the enemy knows this, and so will tail you bejond the corv and smash you. When the round generators appear, chain link them.

23) Learn to fly close and fast in debris. After a while it becomes second nature.

pH

So which star cards? I typically have full health, faster firing and more primary weapon damage.
  • Personally
    Phyrebrat wrote: »
    Hi,

Here are some my tips:

pH

So which star cards? I typically have full health, faster firing and more primary weapon damage.

Personally I’d swap the health one for heat reduction when firing.

When it comes to SC I think it’s better to use ones that can’t be increased by better skills. So, your lasers are always going to be a certain cap unless you use their SC. But the person above prefers tighter turns so he uses that one.

pH
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    edited January 16
    Here are some my tips:
    1) ...
    23)
    pH
    Awesome post. A lot of very helpful tips.
    I'd only slightly disagree with number 4 because I find the Tie Interceptor doesn't fit my play-style. Everybody has to find which ships work best for them. But "Right tool for the job" works.

Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Here are some my tips:
    1) ...
    23)
    pH
    Awesome post. A lot of very helpful tips.
    I'd only slightly disagree with number 4 because I find the Tie Interceptor doesn't fit my play-style. Everybody has to find which ships work best for them. But "Right tool for the job" works.

Thanks.

I agree; I’ve been using tips from here and YT on how to HvV and sometimes I’ve changed and gone back to certain ways of playing/reverting back to my original SC load out because, well, I do better with it.

Like you said: right tool for the job, and also: what you prefer.

pH
  • jonci
    921 posts Member
    Different load outs for different people find and equip what suits you.
    I think the Hero mode for 3 x XP weekend, if people fill it, it allows more concentrated points gathered.
    Just be good to each other and swap ships between yourselves and get an even grind is all i ask if you are in game with me on PC. (We all have a few to go so share the love rather than hogging).
    Don't forget light side ships can still turret farm in hero mode so try and get an agreement from the opposition they let you farm, then once turrets have gone, you fight then do the same for them every one wins then, i have done it before on double XP days).
    Remember it is quicker and harder than normal SA but stick in there you will get the XP easier than normal SA, even if you don't get many kills, hits count as well.
  • Love Starfighter Assault, probably my favourite mode as for some reason I seem to find it easier than GA.

Basic tips - don't fly in a straight line, concentrate on the objective to get into a Hero Ship first and target the nearest ship whenever possible. Y-Wings are tanks, use the ion cannon to slow down faster opponents then blow them to bits with boosted proton torpedoes while they are disabled. Lots of easy kills!

TIE Bombers are great for taking out larger ships obviously, but also good for taking out enemy bombers. X-Wings are great all rounders and A-Wings are fast and hard to hit with the right star cards, almost too fast as it's easy to overshoot opponents.

When playing as a TIE fighter or interceptor use debris fields for cover, weave in and out and turn frequently and sharply. They are easy to pick off if you don't move constantly.

Use advanced flying controls when you feel comfortable. Turning off roll at first can help too.
  • try not to fly into open space and find cover unless one of those missions is require to fly on open space... my tip right there! MTFBWY Fighter Pilot
  • Careful with your y-wings and ion. If you use it to dogfight and spam the ion as advised above, you’ll be targeted relentlessly by opponents for it.

Just look at the comments on y-wings in the triple XP thread in Gen Disc. Many of us make it a priority to punish punks who either spawn camp or Ionspam in SFA.

I’ve just been hounding a certain spammer on endor until he quit.

Sorry not sorry

pH
  • While not yet lvl 40 on any starfighter (but close since I largely played ground based ones namely GA and HvV), I want to thank you all for the tips! I have consistently excelled and almost always get in the top 5 now!
  • My advice is dont play it, its a terrible mode
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • Gold_Cpt_Vander
    53 posts Member
    edited January 21
    Laser921 wrote: »
    My advice is dont play it, its a terrible mode

Definitely not, it is the best part of Battlefront 2. You have a good chance vs most Hero Ships if you don't fight them head on. I want to see that if you try to chase a Hero in GA. Hell if you are on a Trifighter you can take down a Falcon almost on yourself with bigger dakka, and more dakka.
    And my best memories are when you chase down Yoda, that green butted midget across half the map and get him in the end. :)
    Despite his Ion-Aoe attacks.
  • Laser921 wrote: »
    My advice is dont play it, its a terrible mode

I get it’s the ‘’cool’’ thing to hate on everything in 2019. The truth is SA could be a standalone game. It’s that good.

I hope EA keeps the rights to Star Wars games going forward. They did a great job with this one and if the rumors beginning to swirl around on the internet have any truth to them the next installment has the potential to be in conversations as one of the greatest games of all time.
  • Just started playing SA again and by enlarge I'm enjoying it, but have to say I'm taken out by anything and everything far too easily even when I'm a bomber which are meant to be tanks.

How are other players able to target and track me so easily, I'll try an shake them off but I can't lose them, then it sounds like a couple of hits and I'm dead whatever class I'm in.
  • G_Funk24 wrote: »
    Just started playing SA again and by enlarge I'm enjoying it, but have to say I'm taken out by anything and everything far too easily even when I'm a bomber which are meant to be tanks.

How are other players able to target and track me so easily, I'll try an shake them off but I can't lose them, then it sounds like a couple of hits and I'm dead whatever class I'm in.

Fighters are very slow in the game. So even if you fly very fast and hit the booster enemies have still enough time of shooting you down.
    The only way to evade enemy fire is to change directions very fast. Left right, up-down, and turning on your axis while at it. That way your white pre-fire spot wil dance around wildly. Most players have then difficulties to hit you. Check youtube for adjusting pc-mouse speed for SA. The standard ones are very sloppy and you can tighten them so you can easily switch directions without having to move your mouse 10cm around.

On any bomber this is very difficult. As on the bomber get the star cards to have higher R2 repair, or longer duration of counter measures.
  • Here's one non-obvious tip - if you're a bomber and find yourself hardly being attacked, it means the enemy is smart and going mostly for the marked objective targets. Switch to a fighter or interceptor and start taking down their attackers. Otherwise you'll probably lose... fast.