criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

NFL Fans?

Replies

• Rook008
    842 posts Member
    edited January 18
    They've moved up, but I agree about your two points.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-top-forbes-2018-list-of-most-valuable-nfl-franchises-bills-ranked-dead-last/
    According to Forbes, the five most valuable franchises in the world are the Cowboys ($4.8 billion), Manchester United ($4.23 billion, Real Madrid ($4.09 billion), Barcelona ($4.064 billion) and the New England Patriots ($3.8 billion).
    NFL's 10 Most Valuable franchises
    1. Dallas Cowboys ($5 billion)
    2. New England Patriots ($3.8 billion)
    3. New York Giants ($3.3 billion)
    4. Los Angeles Rams (3.2 billion)
    5. Washington Redskins ($3.1 billion)
    6. San Francisco 49ers ($3.05 billion)
    7. Chicago Bears ($2.9 billion)
    8. New York Jets ($2.85 billion)
    9. Houston Texans ($2.8 billion)
    10. Philadelphia Eagles ($2.75 billion)

Edit: The complete list: https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#header:valueList_sortreverse:true
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    They've moved up, but I agree about your two points.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-top-forbes-2018-list-of-most-valuable-nfl-franchises-bills-ranked-dead-last/
    According to Forbes, the five most valuable franchises in the world are the Cowboys ($4.8 billion), Manchester United ($4.23 billion, Real Madrid ($4.09 billion), Barcelona ($4.064 billion) and the New England Patriots ($3.8 billion).
    NFL's 10 Most Valuable franchises
    1. Dallas Cowboys ($5 billion)
    2. New England Patriots ($3.8 billion)
    3. New York Giants ($3.3 billion)
    4. Los Angeles Rams (3.2 billion)
    5. Washington Redskins ($3.1 billion)
    6. San Francisco 49ers ($3.05 billion)
    7. Chicago Bears ($2.9 billion)
    8. New York Jets ($2.85 billion)
    9. Houston Texans ($2.8 billion)
    10. Philadelphia Eagles ($2.75 billion)

Edit: The complete list: https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#header:valueList_sortreverse:true

The Jets are very high on that list!
  • I was somewhat surprised by that too, but NY is a big market? I don't know, they haven't won a Championship in 50 years and haven't been competitive recently unless you go back to the beginning of the Rex Ryan era in the 2009 and 2010 seasons.
  • One of the worst calls in modern sports history in Saints/Rams game. Sinister things happening in the nfl. Literally took a Super Bowl away from the Saints.
  • Yeah, that non-call is going to be talked about for a long time. It was clearly pass interference, and would have been a Saints first down. At the very least it would have allowed them to run most of the time remaining off the clock.
  • One of the worst calls in modern sports history in Saints/Rams game. Sinister things happening in the nfl. Literally took a Super Bowl away from the Saints.

I saw that. Absolutely horrible. I feel so bad.
  • Best. Game. EVER!!!!!!!

Just to be clear, I’m referring to the Patriots-Chiefs game.
  • Yeah, we know which game you were talking about, lol.
    Congrats to the Pats and Rams fans. (any Rams fans here?)
  • Best. Game. EVER!!!!!!!

You mean the "lined up in the neutral zone" game?
  • t3hBar0n wrote: »
    Best. Game. EVER!!!!!!!

You mean the "lined up in the neutral zone" game?

Yes lol. That guy will have the worst offseason of his life.
  • @MyLittleGreenFriend
    Congratulations on the win. I always tell people that regardless of whatever else is happening in the league, every Super Bowl goes through NE. And I’ve also referred to Belichick and Brady as the Emperor and Vader for over a decade now. They are the evil empire... heh. I wanted to see Brees vs Brady but oh well. Anyway, it was a great game. Somehow the ball amost always bounces in their favor. It defies the odds.(offsides on an interception!)

As a Dolphin fan, I’ve had hours, days, weeks, months, and years worth of grievances against them. Still, the level of consistent excellence that NE has displayed for such a long time is unrivaled in sports, in my opinion, and despite my angst I applaud them. I expect them to win. There are no Skywalker’s on the Rams. A Skywalker just got beat. (Patrick Skywalker)
  • Should be a good Super Bowl.
  • Everyone I knew pulled for the Patriots the first time they matched up against the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Now everyone I know is pulling for the Rams. LOL.

I just hope it's a good game either way.
  • So this isn't pass interference? Holy blind referee, Batman!
    NoFlag.gif
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • Saints fans are actually suing the NFL over the missed pass interference call.
  • Saints fans are actually suing the NFL over the missed pass interference call.

It will come to nothing I expect.

I would agree. But there is a rule that allows the NFL to change the outcome of the game.

Absolutely will come to nothing.

What kind of reward do they expect a judge or jury to award them for damages?

This is nothing more than the beginning of a grieving process that will never end.

I would agree. But there is a rule that allows the NFL to change the outcome of the game.

Yeah, that's not happening. Technically the Commissioner has the power to have a portion of a game replayed at a certain point, but not in matters of judgement calls, like Pass Interference.

There's nothing that can be done outside of potential rules changes. And even if you allow a call of Pass Interference to be reviewable, they're likely not to allow a non-called penalty to be reviewable at all.
    Saints fans are actually suing the NFL over the missed pass interference call.

It will be thrown out and they should be fined for wasting the courts time. Purchasing a ticket to a sporting event in no way entitles the holder of said ticket to a specific outcome... it is an absurd lawsuit and the attorney who filed it should be punished for filing such a meritless claim.

It will be thrown out and they should be fined for wasting the courts time. Purchasing a ticket to a sporting event in no way entitles the holder of said ticket to a specific outcome... it is an absurd lawsuit and the attorney who filed it should be punished for filing such a meritless claim.

Are you a lawyer? You seem to be very knowledgeable about these things.

He’s right. It wasn’t a bad or wrong call, technically. There was no call at all. Even Goodell’s hands are tied. You can’t dispute a call that wasn’t even made. And considering the circumstances, it didn’t even decide the game. The Saints got first possession in OT. The game was theirs to win or lose. Interception. First judge’s desk this comes across, if it even gets that far, will throw it out.

He’s right. It wasn’t a bad or wrong call, technically. There was no call at all. Even Goodell’s hands are tied. You can’t dispute a call that wasn’t even made. And considering the circumstances, it didn’t even decide the game. The Saints got first possession in OT. The game was theirs to win or lose. Interception. First judge’s desk this comes across, if it even gets that far, will throw it out.

All of that is true. I was hoping that Saints would get into the Super Bowl, because if they won, I thought that Brees might have retired, since he doesn't get many chances to win Super Bowls and he would have liked to have gone out on top. And if Brees retired, Brady would have a much better chance to break his passing yards record.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    Which NFL players have good Star Wars names?

I think Dak is a great SW name.

And there used to be a kicker named Kai Forbath (I think he's currently unemployed). I always thought his name sounded ominous, like a Sith Lord or something.

I'm late on this, but the Texans have a kicker called Ka'imi Fairbairn. The last name doesn't really sound like a SW name, but the first name definitely does.

All of that is true. I was hoping that Saints would get into the Super Bowl, because if they won, I thought that Brees might have retired, since he doesn't get many chances to win Super Bowls and he would have liked to have gone out on top. And if Brees retired, Brady would have a much better chance to break his passing yards record.

Man... I was hoping the same. I really wanted to see a Brees/Brady SB. Two HoF bound titans of their generation in a SB near the end of their careers. As it stands, let me be the first to congratulate you. I see no way that NE doesn’t win this one. And just in case you didn’t see it before...
    @MyLittleGreenFriend
    Congratulations on the win. I always tell people that regardless of whatever else is happening in the league, every Super Bowl goes through NE. And I’ve also referred to Belichick and Brady as the Emperor and Vader for over a decade now. They are the evil empire... heh. I wanted to see Brees vs Brady but oh well. Anyway, it was a great game. Somehow the ball amost always bounces in their favor. It defies the odds.(offsides on an interception!)

As a Dolphin fan, I’ve had hours, days, weeks, months, and years worth of grievances against them. Still, the level of consistent excellence that NE has displayed for such a long time is unrivaled in sports, in my opinion, and despite my angst I applaud them. I expect them to win. There are no Skywalker’s on the Rams. A Skywalker just got beat. (Patrick Skywalker)

And there used to be a kicker named Kai Forbath (I think he's currently unemployed). I always thought his name sounded ominous, like a Sith Lord or something.

I'm late on this, but the Texans have a kicker called Ka'imi Fairbairn. The last name doesn't really sound like a SW name, but the first name definitely does.

Yes!

I've noticed that one since my post, and thought it made for a good SW name.

No I work in healthcare. I just watched a lot of CourtTV back in the day and to this day I still follow and try to read all the supreme court decisions when they come down. I just enjoy the legal application of logic and the way courts arrive at their decisions. In this case it is fairly obvious that the plaintiff has no claim that they are entitled to a specific outcome... thus not getting the outcome they wanted is not grounds for a lawsuit and filing one is frivolous.
  • Ppong_Man12
    2721 posts Member
    edited January 26
    Post edited by Ppong_Man12 on
    AzorAhai wrote: »

Yes!

Fun fact: The AFC South standings this year were the exact opposite of the AFC South standings last year. It isn't that interesting, but it's just crazy how fast things can change in football.

Yes!

Fun fact: The AFC South standings this year were the exact opposite of the AFC South standings last year. It isn't that interesting, but it's just crazy how fast things can change in football.

Yeah, the two teams that made the playoffs last year are different than the 2 who made it last year. I 'football hate' the Colts and Texans, but would like to see the AFC south nab both wild card spots.

Yes!

Yeah, the two teams that made the playoffs last year are different than the 2 who made it last year. I 'football hate' the Colts and Texans, but would like to see the AFC south nab both wild card spots.

I'm also a soccer(in the US)/football(everywhere else) fan, and something like that would never happen in that sport, because the teams don't have equal money. Speaking of money, do you think Mahomes will accept his 200 million dollar contract? I think that if he does, the Chiefs probably won't have a Super Bowl caliber team until he retires. 200 million will leave them with hardly any money to spend on the other positions, especially since they also have stars like Hill and Kelce. What do you think?

Yes!

I'm also a soccer(in the US)/football(everywhere else) fan, and something like that would never happen in that sport, because the teams don't have equal money. Speaking of money, do you think Mahomes will accept his 200 million dollar contract? I think that if he does, the Chiefs probably won't have a Super Bowl caliber team until he retires. 200 million will leave them with hardly any money to spend on the other positions, especially since they also have stars like Hill and Kelce. What do you think?

Well, I'm sure there will be ways to get out of it down the road should the Chiefs need to, but we're in a day and age where an elite QB can mask a LOT of deficiencies on a team. Just look at the Packers...they're always going to be in the playoff conversation (until they aren't) just because of Rodgers.

A healthy Rodgers is my favorite QB of all time, really. I'm a big Steve Young fan too.

But this Mahomes kid, he's got that ability to make throws regardless of his balance, just like Rodgers. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about cap space and the going rate for QBs or anything (I could be in about 30 minutes...lol, but I'm lazy today). But I've always argued that a team is not going to pay more than they think a guy is worth to them.

I say that, but I thought the Dolphins signing Suh was a braindead maneuver that had little chance of paying off. I blame Mike Tannenbaum for that decision.

TL;DR - I see where you're coming from, but I also see so much talent in Mahomes. It remains to be seen if he's just a flash in the pan or not, but I'm sure they will have a way out down the road if he can't carry his weight on that contract.

Yes!

Well, I'm sure there will be ways to get out of it down the road should the Chiefs need to, but we're in a day and age where an elite QB can mask a LOT of deficiencies on a team. Just look at the Packers...they're always going to be in the playoff conversation (until they aren't) just because of Rodgers.

A healthy Rodgers is my favorite QB of all time, really. I'm a big Steve Young fan too.

But this Mahomes kid, he's got that ability to make throws regardless of his balance, just like Rodgers. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about cap space and the going rate for QBs or anything (I could be in about 30 minutes...lol, but I'm lazy today). But I've always argued that a team is not going to pay more than they think a guy is worth to them.

I say that, but I thought the Dolphins signing Suh was a braindead maneuver that had little chance of paying off. I blame Mike Tannenbaum for that decision.

TL;DR - I see where you're coming from, but I also see so much talent in Mahomes. It remains to be seen if he's just a flash in the pan or not, but I'm sure they will have a way out down the road if he can't carry his weight on that contract.

Mike Tannenbaum... Geez Louise... Yeah, just pick a name at random from the Dolphins front office and yeah... they’re not doing a good job, whatever their job is. Suh was a great player to try and get, but your right. The money was the Epic Fail.

Yes!

Mike Tannenbaum... Geez Louise... Yeah, just pick a name at random from the Dolphins front office and yeah... they’re not doing a good job, whatever their job is. Suh was a great player to try and get, but your right. The money was the Epic Fail.

The way it looked was more of a flashy signing than anything else. I saw a team that needed to win a super bowl within 2 years for it to mean something more than flash.
  • My Super Bowl prediction is:

Patriots 24
    Rams 28
  • Gotta bump with a go Pats, hope the Brady bunch gets another one.
  • MyLittleGreenFriend
    3521 posts Member
    edited February 1
    Guys, I made a Rams vs Patriots map based on who each state will cheer for using an election map. Here you go:

https://www.270towin.com/maps/K828k

The Rams are red and the Patriots are blue.
    Post edited by MyLittleGreenFriend on
  • I laughed pretty hard at that map, especially Louisiana being blue.

Anyway, I want the Rams to win, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
  • I would put money on the Rams, but I'm not necessarily pulling for them.

I want to see a good game. If either team is down by 14 in the 4th quarter, that's who I'll pull for.
  • I want to see a good, competitive game as well. Late game heroics would be cool too.
    My favorite Super Bowl of all time would have to be number 42, where the late game heroics resulted in a wild-card team (and 12-point underdog) beating an undefeated team.
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    I want to see a good, competitive game as well. Late game heroics would be cool too.
    My favorite Super Bowl of all time would have to be number 42, where the late game heroics resulted in a wild-card team (and 12-point underdog) beating an undefeated team.

That was a GREAT game!!!

Eli evades a sack, throws the ball to David Tyree, who makes the catch with one hand, wedging the ball against his helmet.

Super-heroics on both ends of that play. Greatest play I've ever seen!

And I'm no Giants fan!
    Rook008 wrote: »
    I want to see a good, competitive game as well. Late game heroics would be cool too.

That was a GREAT game!!!

Eli evades a sack, throws the ball to David Tyree, who makes the catch with one hand, wedging the ball against his helmet.

Super-heroics on both ends of that play. Greatest play I've ever seen!

And I'm no Giants fan!

Honestly, I have no idea why people don't want the Patriots to make the Super Bowl. Out of the last five Super Bowls, the three that the Patriots have appeared in are all easily in the top five best Super Bowls ever. And the two that they weren't in were both snorefests.
    That was a GREAT game!!!
    I'm a Giants fan, imagine how great I thought that game was! :)

• Honestly, I have no idea why people don't want the Patriots to make the Super Bowl. ...

It's a combination of a lot of things, I think.
    For me, its...
    • I'm also a Jets fan, so the Pats winning the AFC East every year gets old quick. The Pats doing well in general is troublesome.
    • Seeing the same team year after year gets old. There are a lot of teams and players in the AFC that I'd like to see in the big game. I'm not a big Baseball fan, but I could never root for the Yankees because of their history. I'd rather root for the Mets.
    • The history of unfair play/cheating that seems to linger around some players and the Head Coach.

But in general, blowouts are absolutely no fun to watch. With the two teams playing this year, it should be a good game. I think it would have been more fun with the Chiefs playing the Rams, but Dee Ford was Offsides. :'(

• Hope everybody enjoys the game!
  • @MyLittleGreenFriend

2:30 left in the game.
    I’d like to be the first to congratulate you on another Super Bowl.

Being a true NE fan... Man, I figure it makes life just a little bit sweeter for you.

GG
  • Rook008
    842 posts Member
    edited February 4
    @MyLittleGreenFriend

I'll be the second. :)
    However, I found the game to be incredibly boring to watch, not exactly what I would consider a good game. The Rams were out-coached and out-played in all phases.
  • @MyLittleGreenFriend

2:30 left in the game.

Being a true NE fan... Man, I figure it makes life just a little bit sweeter for you.

GG

Thanks. It looks like Brian Flores will be the new Dolphins head coach. I assume the defense will improve quite a bit with him at the helm. I think that Miami have a very high chance of being second in the AFC East, they just need a good enough record to get the 5th or 6th seed. Idk how old you are but it wasn't too long ago that the Dolphins were the kings of the AFC East with Marino as their QB. Who knows, after Brady retires those days might return. The AFC East will be interesting to watch without Brady and Belichick.