criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Playing as Palpatine

Prev1
TerramineLightvoid
66 posts Member
edited February 21
He is designed to be played with 100% cowardly tactics, he /leeches/ points and steals a position on the leaderboards by leeching from kills that other teammates make, etc. I am surprised actually that more people don't get bothered by this when they are playing sith and someone else picks him, it's just like how Chewy pre-nerf was stealing the leaderboards by being unfathomably overpowered that he stole all the kills and points and stole the 1st position. Most people complained about Chewy from the other team's perspective, but really the people being screwed over more than anything was the other Heroes. Same thing goes with Palptine and the Villains.

The only other close comparative is Boba, and at least he requires some real effort to get a serious spot little alone 1st. You actually can't be timid and not fight on the front lines with him, if you want to reach 1st with him. But Palpatine requires no real effort beyond constantly dodging and making sure that 90% of the time you are standing behind someone else so you're not the target or if someone tries to target you then your team mates will /always/ get in the way and slice you down.

He only ever gets a serious spot, little alone first, if he's constantly damaging the whole match. Which I hate to break it to you, but if you are paying attention to what that /implies/. It means that player was constantly leeching from kills that already had 1 or 2 people attacking. That has to make up like 90% of the damage they had done, to get that "good" or in otherwords that high of a score.

Edited for antagonistic title. ~Rtas
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Replies

• I absolutley agree with this hahaha XD
  • I am trash. I am trash whether I play palp, Rey, Vader, anyone.

I’ve been playing for a year now and although I’ll usually get top 1/2 in sfa, I am hopeless at infantry or ground.

This triple XP event has highlighted just how bad I am at this game.

pH
  • Phyrebrat wrote: »
    I am trash. I am trash whether I play palp, Rey, Vader, anyone.

I’ve been playing for a year now and although I’ll usually get top 1/2 in sfa, I am hopeless at infantry or ground.

pH
    Well at least you admit it. Actually, the fact that you're that good at SFA is impressive. I actually suck at that mode lol. I can never get top in GA, I do get it in Strike and Blast and even can get on a 1st roll if I play those modes long enough to get back into a serious groove.

Waiting for the command post mode that's coming, the OG battlefront mode. That's where **** will be happenin, if you know what I'm sayin lol
    Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

• I play palps im not trash. Im.not amazing at GA but usually rank top 5 or 6. As for SFA i top every game i play.

But i rarely dip into sfa now as its A) too easy and B) no new maps.
  • I play palps im not trash. Im.not amazing at GA but usually rank top 5 or 6. As for SFA i top every game i play.

But i rarely dip into sfa now as its A) too easy and B) no new maps.
    You are trash /when/ you play with him. Playing with him, is trash. That is what I mean. Not that you're not good at the game when you don't play with him. Playing with him, is inherently bad.

• Phyrebrat wrote: »
    I am trash. I am trash whether I play palp, Rey, Vader, anyone.

pH
    Well at least you admit it. Actually, the fact that you're that good at SFA is impressive. I actually suck at that mode lol. I can never get top in GA, I do get it in Strike and Blast and even can get on a 1st roll if I play those modes long enough to get back into a serious groove.

Waiting for the command post mode that's coming, the OG battlefront mode. That's where **** will be happenin, if you know what I'm sayin lol

Aww thanks for that. That’s cheered me right up. :blush:

pH
  • i dont play him often anymore now that's ive maxxed him out, but it is fun to target people without having to aim too hard
  • Dude everyone has that hero or villain they just hate. For me its bossk. For me the ability to regain full hp is cheap as **** and most times (unless the player is truly elite) leads to bossk leaving the objevtive for upto 30 seconds at a time.

But the palps isnt trash. Hes a very balanced hero. I personally like a hit and run style of play. Maul and Palps are two of my faves for their speed. I dont hide behind my team i get in the thick of it. If i have a hero im going to be bold.

But i wont be stupid. Yeah ill spin dodge to get out of trouble. Yes ill jump around and fire lightning attacks from above.

But if i land in the wrong place and an assault tooper pops vanguard. Palps is deaddddddd. So it all evens out.
  • 3ut3624q1l2s.png
    keeboxdf4h4g.gif

• Evo911
    265 posts Member
    Dude everyone has that hero or villain they just hate. For me its bossk. For me the ability to regain full hp is cheap as **** and most times (unless the player is truly elite) leads to bossk leaving the objevtive for upto 30 seconds at a time.

Bossk ability to regain health is not worst than Palp abilities in terms of movement and attacks...
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    what the heck is the deal with people hating on uncle pappy these days? He's not OP! But I will admit it can be easy to "steal kills" with pappy. But you still have to be good with him because he's like a glass cannon, no joke.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • With other villains around, his supportive role is incredible, more than stealing kills, I slow down and drain health of heroes for my team mates to finish off easy.
    His abilities take forever to activate, electrocute takes what, 2-3 seconds before you can do anything? He can't block anything either. Is very, very rare seeing someone finishing 1st with him
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    With other villains around, his supportive role is incredible, more than stealing kills, I slow down and drain health of heroes for my team mates to finish off easy.
    His abilities take forever to activate, electrocute takes what, 2-3 seconds before you can do anything? He can't block anything either. Is very, very rare seeing someone finishing 1st with him

its true, besides the fact that I consider myself average with pappy, I've gotten 3rd place once with him in all the time that I've played. I couldn't even dream of getting first with pappy.
  • Sniffy44 wrote: »
    i dont play him often anymore now that's ive maxxed him out, but it is fun to target people without having to aim too hard
    See, this is the right tone to have. I don't want people comin in here acting all surprised that this is being said or acting so offended cause they know they play him all the time. He's pretty much a 100% pure support based character, so he's easy breezy to use. But personally I think he shouldn't even be allowed to gain points, just like Boba shouldn't be allowed to be target. Not that, that would ever end up happening but just speaking about what technically "ought" to be.

Point is, I don't think anyone takes a 1st Palpatine seriously. Just like they don't take Chewbacca seriously even post-nerf cause he does unblockable damage.

• Whodunnit wrote: »
    We are talking about GA, right? Because in HvV you actually need more skills for Palp to do decent.

EDIT: Oh, you are really talking about HvV. Uh..in that case..
    t0ims7qz46jf.gif
    It's not really skill to just be constantly on the move and zapping literally everybody constantly. You're just not doing that, you're pacing yourself. You're going after individual targets and taking people head on, etc. Palptine was designed to be played highly passively/support. Take that to the max and you get 1st easy if your team mates aren't uber beasts like me. A palpatine can never get first when I'm on the villain side and I got Vader, but that's cause I pretty much /always/ get first with him no matter what.

• With other villains around, his supportive role is incredible, more than stealing kills, I slow down and drain health of heroes for my team mates to finish off easy.
    Like I said, you'd have to see how some people play with him. There is almost only 1 way to get 1st palp, and that's by cheesing distracted peeps.

• Dude everyone has that hero or villain they just hate. For me its bossk. For me the ability to regain full hp is cheap as **** and most times (unless the player is truly elite) leads to bossk leaving the objevtive for upto 30 seconds at a time.
    I could see how Bossk would be annoying in GA like that, in HvV tho he aint nothin to worry about.
    I dont hide behind my team i get in the thick of it. If i have a hero im going to be bold.
    Then you're not like 90% of Bobas, Palps, and Chewys. You probably don't get 1st with Palp tho, even in GA.

• jonci
    1009 posts Member
    Playing with Palpatine makes you trash. ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDwQJ64UpFQ
  • If the other team trolls with him as the dark side when it is my turn I troll back.
  • bfloo
    15524 posts Member
    Ok, we can't use Palps..., it doesn't count if we get 1st place with Maul...., Bossk is OP....., lets not get everyone started on Vader... crylo's freeze upsets people, Phasma's droid is immortal... Iden is the most noob toob hero ever...... I almost forgot, Boba is the 'most OP'... I can just imagine the Grievs complaints...

Who am I supposed to use? Officer, nope, spec melee - no good, heavy nu uh, assault vanguard bad..., enforcers > heroes, aerials have a rocket....
    Look at the buff Maul thread if you don't understand if you don't understand the reference
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »
    Ok, we can't use Palps..., it doesn't count if we get 1st place with Maul...., Bossk is OP....., lets not get everyone started on Vader... crylo's freeze upsets people, Phasma's droid is immortal... Iden is the most noob toob hero ever...... I almost forgot, Boba is the 'most OP'... I can just imagine the Grievs complaints...

Who am I supposed to use? Officer, nope, spec melee - no good, heavy nu uh, assault vanguard bad..., enforcers > heroes, aerials have a rocket....
    Look at the buff Maul thread if you don't understand if you don't understand the reference

+1, this is everything. :grin:

pH
  • bfloo wrote: »

I didn't say you can't use him, I said that when you do, you have to admit that you forfeit any credit of "skill" because there is none with him.

• d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

I didn't say you can't use him, I said that when you do, you have to admit that you forfeit any credit of "skill" because there is none with him.

I'm sorry but it is really hard to take this seriously. Palpatine isn't overpowered and he's not particularly great at stealing kills unless you've got enough evasive skill to do so.
  • d0kRX wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it is really hard to take this seriously. Palpatine isn't overpowered and he's not particularly great at stealing kills unless you've got enough evasive skill to do so.
    Lmao "enough evasive skill". That's not a skill bro, not in this game. Maybe if this was a brawler like Xenoverse 2 or FighterZ. Especially not with a character who's dodge is basically them jetting at the speed of sound about 10 feet per dash. At least with saber users a dodge has to be used very carefully, but palpatine it takes even less effort than flying away with Boba Fett. So get outta here with that, the only one that shouldn't be taken seriously is you. Almost right away everyone was agreeing with me, of course the little **** palpatine hacks wanna come in here and defend their complete lack of honor.

It's not about being overpowered(He actually is if you Melee spam with him, apparently.) nor is it so much about the kill stealing. Altho as far as kill stealing goes you're kinda wrong. Not so much that he steals a majority of kills, but the other way around: 90% of his kills come from finishing off someone at 10% health that someone else did the other 90% of damage. The majority of the kills he does get is from kill stealing, is the real point here. It's not that it should bother people because they are losing sooo many kills, but simply that someone on the team is using a character and tactic that means their only contribution comes from having stolen kills.

But again the real issue with him beyond anything else, is his /point/ stealing. You can only get 2nd and 1st by constantly draining points from people already distracted and in the middle of a fight, and you can only survive well enough at the same time by hiding behind your team mates aka using them as bait and shields.

• Personally think getting perpetually ruined by Palpatine (on the scoreboard or in combat) makes you trash but W/e

I'll have to remember to "steal" all your kills and emote if I run into you!
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    d0kRX wrote: »
    Lmao "enough evasive skill". That's not a skill bro, not in this game. Maybe if this was a brawler like Xenoverse 2 or FighterZ. Especially not with a character who's dodge is basically them jetting at the speed of sound about 10 feet per dash. At least with saber users a dodge has to be used very carefully, but palpatine it takes even less effort than flying away with Boba Fett. So get outta here with that, the only one that shouldn't be taken seriously is you. Almost right away everyone was agreeing with me, of course the little **** palpatine hacks wanna come in here and defend their complete lack of honor.

It's not about being overpowered(He actually is if you Melee spam with him, apparently.) nor is it so much about the kill stealing. Altho as far as kill stealing goes you're kinda wrong. Not so much that he steals a majority of kills, but the other way around: 90% of his kills come from finishing off someone at 10% health that someone else did the other 90% of damage. The majority of the kills he does get is from kill stealing, is the real point here. It's not that it should bother people because they are losing sooo many kills, but simply that someone on the team is using a character and tactic that means their only contribution comes from having stolen kills.

But again the real issue it with him beyond anything else, is his /point/ stealing. You can only get 2nd and 1st by constantly draining points from people already distracted and in the middle of a fight, and you can only survive well enough at the same time by hiding behind your team mates aka using them as bait and shields.

Ha lMao, you must be really good if it's that easy to evade with Palpatine. With what little experience I have playing him, which is not much, evading anybody is very difficult. In fact if I try to evade someone with Palpatine it means instant death for me. So forgive me if I am lmao at your response.

Also if Palpatine is trash, then let's remove him from the game altogether. Then you wouldn't have that trashy problem. I do believe that this thread should have been named something like remove Palpatine from the game.
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    Ah I see, then I must be a worthless player because everytime I try to evade with Palpatine it means instant death.

This thread should have been named "Palpatine needs removed from the game"
  • bfloo
    15524 posts Member

But again the real issue it with him beyond anything else, is his /point/ stealing. You can only get 2nd and 1st by constantly draining points from people already distracted and in the middle of a fight, and you can only survive well enough at the same time by hiding behind your team mates aka using them as bait and shields.

Ha lMao, you must be really good if it's that easy to evade with Palpatine. With what little experience I have playing him, which is not much, evading anybody is very difficult. In fact if I try to evade someone with Palpatine it means instant death for me. So forgive me if I am lmao at your response.

Also if Palpatine is trash, then let's remove him from the game altogether. Then you wouldn't have that trashy problem. I do believe that this thread should have been named something like remove Palpatine from the game.

You haven't taken the time to learn how to use him, so he is therefore worthless

wdkzw02lr2bj.png

Learn how, then we can take your input seriously.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• d0kRX
    1425 posts Member

You haven't taken the time to learn how to use him, so he is therefore worthless

wdkzw02lr2bj.png

Learn how, then we can take your input seriously.

Well, according to your input he should not be used. So therefore I will not bother because then I would be trash just like Palatine anyway. And besides, I don't want to play anything cheap or trashy because it's offensive to players like you.
  • Phyrebrat
    823 posts Member
    edited January 13

WTH is wrong with you? How is how other people see themselves any of your concern?

Grow up or get some therapy.

Pathetic.

pH
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    Phyrebrat wrote: »

WTH is wrong with you? How is how other people see themselves any of your concern?

Grow up or get some therapy.

Pathetic.

pH

:smiley:
  • Lee1981
    1985 posts Member
    Couldn’t careless

I’ll use whatever hero I want especially ones that guarantee big killstreaks
  • I can't use the Emperor at all. I tried but he'll be a instant kill for somebody. There are others heroes also.
    I'm decent as infantry but not playing the hero.
    pija5nbcgaah.jpg
    "This is a mission of peace. I put my faith in diplomacy. We can't solve all of our problems by throwing troops at them."
    -Padmé Amidala
  • The emporer is like any other hero. In the hands of a noob he goes down quickkk

In the hands of an elite player he will be a nightmare.

But you can say the same about literally any hero.
  • I can't use the Emperor at all. I tried but he'll be a instant kill for somebody. There are others heroes also.
    I'm decent as infantry but not playing the hero.

Same here pretty much :)
    23rkcd2mgahf.jpg
  • I'll be honest, everything you said about the Emperor can be said of Iden. Only she has insane range and when she takes a little damage she can pop her shield and run and hide. She just lays back and racks up assists.
    "-Need more Lemon Pledge"
    tumblr_m2y1yfKBMg1r0eo86o8_250.gif
  • As a proud Sidious main I have only this to say

• He is designed to be played with 100% cowardly tactics, he /leeches/ points and steals a position on the leaderboards by leeching from kills that other teammates make, etc. I am surprised actually that more people don't get bothered by this when they are playing sith and someone else picks him, it's just like how Chewy pre-nerf was stealing the leaderboards by being unfathomably overpowered that he stole all the kills and points and stole the 1st position. Most people complained about Chewy from the other team's perspective, but really the people being screwed over more than anything was the other Heroes. Same thing goes with Palptine and the Villains.

The only other close comparative is Boba, and at least he requires some real effort to get a serious spot little alone 1st. You actually can't be timid and not fight on the front lines with him, if you want to reach 1st with him. But Palpatine requires no real effort beyond constantly dodging and making sure that 90% of the time you are standing behind someone else so you're not the target or if someone tries to target you then your team mates will /always/ get in the way and slice you down.

He only ever gets a serious spot, little alone first, if he's constantly damaging the whole match. Which I hate to break it to you, but if you are paying attention to what that /implies/. It means that player was constantly leeching from kills that already had 1 or 2 people attacking. That has to make up like 90% of the damage they had done, to get that "good" or in otherwords that high of a score.

I love it when someone can't counter something and then comes to the forum to rage and tell everyone that using (insert name of character that keeps owning you) makes you trash...
    Ah the salty tears are overwhelming. lol
    My youtube channel Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4 etc gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF4zDYJfLp_rvcKzALVEXHA?view_as=subscriber
  • Trash you say! I use Palpatine all the time has always been my favourite , he is really hard to control on the tight maps and takes a lot of skill to use which I don’t have so I get melted by any of the light side blaster heroes! No way to block with him that’s a disadvantage, his attacks don’t do enough damage to go up against most of the light side on your own , but isn’t HVV a team game so useing Palpatine at range makes most sense , useing him isn’t Trash and he definitely isn’t easy to evade with he is part of a game I love to play .
  • Personally I love using Lando to melt his face from distance, but hey that’s just me and my love of his smoke grenade… the ultimate weapon you say?!
  • TahjSDG
    37 posts Member
    edited February 20
    With other villains around, his supportive role is incredible, more than stealing kills, I slow down and drain health of heroes for my team mates to finish off easy.
    Like I said, you'd have to see how some people play with him. There is almost only 1 way to get 1st palp, and that's by cheesing distracted peeps.
    But if it angers you so much that someone is playing with him and catching you or your teammates off guard constantly, then why not just play with more awareness? He can't catch you off guard if you're being mindful of your surroundings.
  • EA_Rtas
    1086 posts EA Moderator
    Hey folks, discussion around using the character is fine but lets try and leave out the "trash" labels here people like playing different characters and not everyone likes the same character. Constructive criticism is fine but blanket labeling people as "trash" for playing a certain character isn't acceptable. Keep it constructive or I'll be locking the thread.
  • I agree so much with EA_Rtas on this point, if you get mad because of someone using a character it is time to sum up the team and begin to start during actual teamwork to counter such players.

A good team can out do anyone!
  • Oh forgot to say, the amount of score you earn for kill assist is the same amount for the kill.
  • So i just read all comments now, i see the problem here, people are just mad because of their scores?! not about helping the team winning?

I think you mad because you didn't get the chance to yell in happiness because you got 1st place, but are rather mad because you kept dying by a walking thunder/lightning storm who kills?

People playing Palpa, of course he steals kills, but he also helps the team to get closer to victory right?

He is indeed the ultimate kill "stealer" but as i see it, he is just another asset to make sure that OUR team WINS the match and not LOSESS it!

I really love playing as Palpa, not only to do my behalf of damage the enemies but also to make sure we get that one step closer to victory for the whole team... Palpa can be very annoying, yes, but he is so damn useful for the whole team no matter how many goddamn kills he "steals"

• DK_Bastian wrote: »
    People playing Palpa, of course he steals kills, but he also helps the team to get closer to victory right?

He is indeed the ultimate kill "stealer" but as i see it, he is just another asset to make sure that OUR team WINS the match and not LOSESS it!

Exactly. I mean when you think about it, everyone steals kills (even Officer turrets). You are spot on that this is apparently just about points/podium. That said, I can empathize with the original post in a sense.

It's ridiculous that Yoda can single handed win the match for his team but get no real battle points for buffing his team and holding the base down...and yet the Emperor can run around with chain lightning (avoiding objective) and rack up points on a losing team and end up #1 overall. I can see the frustration for some. In that context Yoda was the overall better player but got no podium love because he held objective and didn't just run around killing ancillary targets.

My recommendation is look to the secondary rankings on the second tab (I think the Personal Tab). This will show how you ranked as it related to Objective, etc. Its rewarding being #1 on Objective even if you didn't get on the podium.
  • Grinch wrote: »
    DK_Bastian wrote: »

Exactly. I mean when you think about it, everyone steals kills (even Officer turrets). You are spot on that this is apparently just about points/podium. That said, I can empathize with the original post in a sense.

It's ridiculous that Yoda can single handed win the match for his team but get no real battle points for buffing his team and holding the base down...and yet the Emperor can run around with chain lightning (avoiding objective) and rack up points on a losing team and end up #1 overall. I can see the frustration for some. In that context Yoda was the overall better player but got no podium love because he held objective and didn't just run around killing ancillary targets.

My recommendation is look to the secondary rankings on the second tab (I think the Personal Tab). This will show how you ranked as it related to Objective, etc. Its rewarding being #1 on Objective even if you didn't get on the podium.

Indeed, they need to show everybody that are on top 3 or 5 how they did in the match... everybody can see for themselves how they did in the match, how much the tried to do the objectives or such. We can see 1/10 or such for what we did for the team in the match, i think everybody should be able to see the top leaderboard players in the matches and their stats towards the team,

Enemy 1#: objectives: 2/10, teamplay 6/10 … if you get what i mean?

then we know if they actually "deserved" the first place, like he earned first place using a hero/villian or soldier to get 1 place instead of lone wolfing.

hope you know what i am trying to say.. haha
  • DK_Bastian wrote: »

hope you know what i am trying to say.. haha

Spot on!