criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Saber combat didn't die, it was murdered. lol

Raylol
1140 posts Member
edited February 14
Just see this video, If you are an really good Yoda player you'll notice that I'm playing him the right way (Dodge, dash, dodge, dash) but I got magically stunned (He didn't even touched me) and there was nothing I could do and there's an extra clip at the end you will see how saber tracking it's ATM.

If this was before the dooku patch I would had won with Yoda in the first video with no damage... Now It's just who smashes the button more.

Replies

• OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Raylol wrote: »
    Just see this video, If you are an really good Yoda player you'll notice that I'm playing him the right way (Dodge, dash, dodge, dash) but I got magically stunned (He didn't even touched me) and there was nothing I could do and there's an extra clip at the end you will see how saber tracking it's ATM.

If this was before the dooku patch I would had won with Yoda in the first video with no damage... Now It's just who smashes the button more.

Saber combat has been awful since Launch, even with the I-Frames as they were at launch it was completely broken. A new player playing Luke could dash through an entire team of saber heroes and not get damaged once for minutes at a time. You didn't even have to attack just holding block and rolling would make you untouchable. They based their entire combat system on a button making characters invincible on-top of block

Then when they removed it, well. Button mash. Button mash everywhere. The entire combat system has been built around a mechanic that hasn't existed for about a year

I miss launch BF2
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

Space and Asteroids ROMG4
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    edited February 14
    OOM19 wrote: »

Saber combat has been awful since Launch, even with the I-Frames as they were at launch it was completely broken. A new player playing Luke could dash through an entire team of saber heroes and not get damaged once. You didn't even have to attack just holding block and rolling would make you untouchable. They based their entire combat system on a button making characters invincible on-top of block

Then when they removed it, well. Button mash. Button mash everywhere. The entire combat system has been built around a mechanic that hasn't existed for about a year

I miss launch BF2

Not really, since Dooku patch tracking was a big problem, but the 'stun' was small, Now it's just terrible, unplayable. For me BF2 prime was Launch and January-Feb 2018, then it was 'ok' and now it's terrible.

On your video I see nothing wrong, just an excellent team working together and you entered to their territory.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member

Saber combat has been awful since Launch, even with the I-Frames as they were at launch it was completely broken. A new player playing Luke could dash through an entire team of saber heroes and not get damaged once. You didn't even have to attack just holding block and rolling would make you untouchable. They based their entire combat system on a button making characters invincible on-top of block

I miss launch BF2

Not really, since Dooku patch tracking was a big problem, but the 'stun' was small, Now it's just terrible, unplayable. For me BF2 prime was Launch and January-Feb 2018, then it was 'ok' and not it's terrible.

Completely agree. Though I held out hope until March-April before I fully realized that things wouldn't change

Though I don't really notice a difference in that footage you posted. I've been experiencing that for the entire past year on PC. It's been bloody awful
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

[url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again
    I am ROMG4 or is ROMG4 me? If I am ROMG4 who am I? If ROMG4 is me who is he what is he? If I am him who or what am I?

If this is conscious does that mean I know I am ROMG4 or not, is ROMG4 me? or Is it not

Gone forgotten, out of board and into the pan of ghost fire and diatrabe of sadness no one AVENGED ME how could this be. 2 years I exist I help, I talk, I contribute, I speak, no one helped me no aide, no one all alone in the dark of the night where dark things lurk in the more of subconscious thought and that which lurks bellow and beyond the veil of madness and the unknown

• OOM19
    2833 posts Member

I miss launch BF2

Not really, since Dooku patch tracking was a big problem, but the 'stun' was small, Now it's just terrible, unplayable. For me BF2 prime was Launch and January-Feb 2018, then it was 'ok' and not it's terrible.

On your video I see nothing wrong, just an excellent team working together and you entered to their territory.

Completely agree. Though I held out hope until March-April before I realized that things wouldn't change
    Though I don't really notice a difference in that footage you posted. I've been experiencing that for the entire past year on PC. It's been bloody awful

Nah, that video was just to show how brain-dead boring stuns are. I stun locked two heroes with a button press and then I got stun locked to death unable to fight back. The skill floor and ceiling on HVV is bloody awful
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• OOM19 wrote: »

Saber combat has been awful since Launch, even with the I-Frames as they were at launch it was completely broken. A new player playing Luke could dash through an entire team of saber heroes and not get damaged once for minutes at a time. You didn't even have to attack just holding block and rolling would make you untouchable. They based their entire combat system on a button making characters invincible on-top of block

I miss launch BF2

• Did this vs vader the other day, as i dashed passed him he just started mashing buttons and the tracking took care of the rest, he instantly 180 deg turn and stunned me from behind. You can no longer wear down a hero with dashes etc. Everything I ever learned is basically worthless now. So far the only conclusion that seems safe is avoid hero confrontation in the 1st place as it is total luck and not skill based right now. Either that or pick a hero that can mash better than the rest (grievious?).
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Bandicoot wrote: »
    Did this vs vader the other day, as i dashed passed him he just started mashing buttons and the tracking took care of the rest, he instantly 180 deg turn and stunned me from behind. You can no longer wear down a hero with dashes etc. Everything I ever learned is basically worthless now. So far the only conclusion that seems safe is avoid hero confrontation in the 1st place as it is total luck and not skill based right now. Either that or pick a hero that can mash better than the rest (grievious?).

Well, means Yoda and Luke got nerfed, because they main attacks are trash and you just need to focus with his dashes when playing with them.
  • OOM19
    2833 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Honestly with every single month saber combat gets worse and worse. Maul was my favorite saber hero to play at launch and now he's not even my third favorite hero anymore. Saber combat just feels so RNG or so skill-less you feel like your just running around with a Caveman club. Instead of an elegant Lightsaber you just run around button mashing hope the game registers your hits

Only Force User that's even fun to play anymore is Palpatine because he's at least consistent. If not completely broken
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

jexdw69dwod3.png

OUT AM I?!
    I live again

• Lagodaki
    912 posts Member
    edited February 14
    So this is how saber combat died..
    7zq3p1f8iht7.gif
    Post edited by Lagodaki on
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • Bandicoot
    956 posts Member
    edited February 14
    Did this vs vader the other day, as i dashed passed him he just started mashing buttons and the tracking took care of the rest, he instantly 180 deg turn and stunned me from behind. You can no longer wear down a hero with dashes etc. Everything I ever learned is basically worthless now. So far the only conclusion that seems safe is avoid hero confrontation in the 1st place as it is total luck and not skill based right now. Either that or pick a hero that can mash better than the rest (grievious?).

Well, means Yoda and Luke got nerfed, because they main attacks are trash and you just need to focus with his dashes when playing with them.

Exactly, maul is now worse too, and of course blaster heroes. But that kid that just bought the game, picks grievous and mashes saber swing thinks he's pro. Reminds me of when I was 10yo winning tekken vs friends just by mashing buttons as fast as possible. Thankfully I play mostly GA and just avoid hero confrontation in its current state.

This is probably a result of all those noobs complaining combat roll is op against sabers when they only know how to mash swing. Game becomes less and less skill based by the day.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    edited February 14

Exactly, maul is now worse too, and of course blaster heroes. But that kid that just bought the game, picks grievous and mashes saber swing thinks he's pro. Reminds me of when I was 10yo winning tekken vs friends just by mashing buttons as fast as possible. Thankfully I play mostly GA and just avoid hero confrontation in its current state.

This is probably a result of all those noobs complaining combat roll is op against sabers when they only know how to mash swing. Game becomes less and less skill based by the day.

Nah, Maul dash it's long enough to get out of the saber stun IMO.

And yes, when I'm on hero showdown playing as DS and my team keeps picking saber heroes at the final round I'll start to kill myself and he gets smashed so bad, It's even more fun when there's only 1 saber hero available and I pick it, he doesn't know what to do lol.

Also, since Dooku patch blaster heroes can't roll/evade force powers, I think it will be fair and requiere more skill from both sides Saber and blasters to bring back the old roll or at least make them recharge faster, saber heroes need to think and use their force powers instead of saber smashing button.
  • Yep, Yoda really got screwed by that last update.

Luke not so much, even if they auto track when he is dashing, the fact that Luke can block forever 360 degrees negates any little damage he may receive when dashing
  • Yoda is probably the biggest victim of the current lightsaber combat. I used to use him exclusively on the Lightside but he is barely playable now.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    Yoda is probably the biggest victim of the current lightsaber combat. I used to use him exclusively on the Lightside but he is barely playable now.

Kinda fun how the heroes that don't requiere skill got buffed (Vader, Grievous, kinda dooku, Rey)
  • Raylol wrote: »
    Yoda is probably the biggest victim of the current lightsaber combat. I used to use him exclusively on the Lightside but he is barely playable now.

Kinda fun how the heroes that don't requiere skill got buffed (Vader, Grievous, kinda dooku, Rey)

In HvV I think Yoda is the last hero that needs any kind of nerf.
  • Raylol wrote: »

Nah, Maul dash it's long enough to get out of the saber stun IMO.

And yes, when I'm on hero showdown playing as DS and my team keeps picking saber heroes at the final round I'll start to kill myself and he gets smashed so bad, It's even more fun when there's only 1 saber hero available and I pick it, he doesn't know what to do lol.

Also, since Dooku patch blaster heroes can't roll/evade force powers, I think it will be fair and requiere more skill from both sides Saber and blasters to bring back the old roll or at least make them recharge faster, saber heroes need to think and use their force powers instead of saber smashing button.

Perhaps his dash is long enough to avoid saber stun most of the time, though I've seen some extreme distance tracking. I've noticed you can't dash out of getting hit now, one hit and its all over, and sometimes the hit is unexpected like your 5m away but its a laggy stun hit, then your screwed. This probably applys to every hero though, just maul becomes a vegetable if he's hit once.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    bumpi
  • bfloo
    15961 posts Member
    saber combat was never good to begin with, and gets worse with every new bug the patches bring in.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    Ok, I'll go to sleep early because I want to look handsome tomorrow. The best Hero player and also the most handsome player from this forums.
  • Very recently my 16 daughter and I played this game in arcade mode together. She has never touched the game before. She played as Rey, and I played as Bossk. She won every time by blocking, then striking me down when I needed to reload.

Three nights ago I was playing HvV. I saw Dooku in a room by himself so I went in there to take him down (I was Obi Wan). He stood there holding block, and I couldn't break thru it no matter what I tried. He didn't even try to attack me. He did this the whole round.

Last night in HvV Vader became the target, my teammate (Luke) was attacking Vader. Vader was blocking all Lukes hits so I came up from behind him and started to attack (I Rey). Vader was still able to block all my attacks, even though he had two people attacking from the from, and from behind.
  • Really "good" yoda player in HvV? Such hubris...
  • Played HVV tonight for the first time in a couple of weeks. Wow. What a mess. Saber combat is nonexistent.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • It's awful was playing lando in GA and got button smashed from full hp to death by a Maul who was awful. Couldn't even roll at all because the ***** was probably breaking his controller with the light speed button tapping
  • Everyone is complaining about saber stuns, and dealing damage from a huge distance (rightfully) but there is also a huuugge problem with saber swings not dealing any damage (close range). I'm not sure if it's since recent update (maybe 2 updates before) but it's got worse for sure. I don't know how many times my saber didn't deal damage from a going through enemy like if they were force ghosts. It's so annoying. I died many times (Galactic Assault) cause my hits didn't register properly. It wasn't like that before. It happened to me (most often) when I was Luke or Maul. Their dash/rush also failed to deal any damage couple of times.
  • Anybody noticed how sometimes it registers your attack button while you're blocking? I often find myself attacking while blocking screwing up the fight.
  • I've had this "problem" when facing Dooku as Yoda. I'm not sure whether it's Dooku or it's his Duelist ability, but when you are Yoda and you see Dooku, I have learnt that you don't want to be less than 10m from him or he will kill you in TWO swings. With Vader you don't want to be within 5m or you might as well hit respawn. Takes longer with Vader but same result.
  • Cadoth
    1182 posts Member
    Unfortunately we have to wait another month or so to see if the changes to the lightsaber combat will actually help
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    BUMp pipi
  • Anybody noticed how sometimes it registers your attack button while you're blocking? I often find myself attacking while blocking screwing up the fight.

Issues are all over the place. Very close range saber hits don't register but easily track 10+ meters or 180 degrees while Luke/Yoda are dashing.

Blocking is either God-like 360 degrees (Luke right now is near impossible, block, block, block, dash, block, block, block) or doesn't work at all, Dooku especially very very often refuse to block altogether.

And the staggering when hitting a blocking saber, is unbelievable.
  • I wish a refund so bad.
  • Can't be murdered if it doesn't exist
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif

I think this happens because the game is still registering your attacks from your last button spamming....
    Bring back Extraction to the main menu please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Episode IX
    “Season” 5: Rogue One
  • I wouldn't bet on the magnet sabers ever going away. Player retention is probably up because it's so noob friendly.

I bet it was intended as part of the new stamina changes they're supposedly rolling out. Sleight of hand to give the illusion that they're making the saber combat more skill based, while at the same time improving the hitrate of low skill players so that they won't ever be running out of stamina before getting a kill, anyway.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

• Eddie7417 wrote: »
    It's awful was playing lando in GA and got button smashed from full hp to death by a Maul who was awful. Couldn't even roll at all because the **** was probably breaking his controller with the light speed button tapping

Not sure that makes him awful. That's kinda what you have to do as maul - close distance as fast as possible and use his not losing stamina to your advantage.
  • It's MURDAAAAA - ja rule
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    AAAgameeeeeee
  • IT IS SO BLOODY BAD! Devs, sort out your saber combat stun lock garbage. It’s a joke.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • LunarCoil wrote: »
    Very recently my 16 daughter and I played this game in arcade mode together. She has never touched the game before. She played as Rey, and I played as Bossk. She won every time by blocking, then striking me down when I needed to reload.

Just try spamming grenades next time.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    LunarCoil wrote: »
    Very recently my 16 daughter and I played this game in arcade mode together. She has never touched the game before. She played as Rey, and I played as Bossk. She won every time by blocking, then striking me down when I needed to reload.

Just try spamming grenades next time.

Ya, saber stun and godly tracking doesn’t really affect the dark side a lot, considering that almost all dark side heroes have abilities that takes 70% of the health of light side heroes, but it does affect a lot the light side.
  • Lmao I step away from this game for only a few weeks that Resident Evil 2 is out and come back to find it literally in the worst state its ever been.

Its absolutely ridiculous that DICE can't even rectify these huge problems without a "huge update" that seems to always be at the end of the month. Once again, they catered to bads with glowsticks and made the game unplayable.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    Bumpo
  • thelasteverjedi
    1595 posts Member
    edited February 17
    Lmao I step away from this game for only a few weeks that Resident Evil 2 is out and come back to find it literally in the worst state its ever been.

Its absolutely ridiculous that DICE can't even rectify these huge problems without a "huge update" that seems to always be at the end of the next month. Once again, they catered to bads with glowsticks and made the game unplayable.

There I fixed it for you.
  • All the more reason for Yoda to have a block lmao, but go ahead and defend this broken mess.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    Hoy many more!

I don’t know

Issues are all over the place. Very close range saber hits don't register but easily track 10+ meters or 180 degrees while Luke/Yoda are dashing.

Blocking is either God-like 360 degrees (Luke right now is near impossible, block, block, block, dash, block, block, block) or doesn't work at all, Dooku especially very very often refuse to block altogether.

And the staggering when hitting a blocking saber, is unbelievable.

Yes, saber combat is 50-50 as to win or lose. But as soon as you have more sabers smashing, the odds increase heavily in favour of the team with more sabers. 2 sabers vs 1 - nearly impossible to get out of saber lock. 3 sabers vs one - dead before you can blink.
  • Raylol
    1140 posts Member
    Let's hope they fix this mess in 2 days.
  • quenaelin
    1100 posts Member
    edited February 26
    I doubt this won't be fixed very soon, it looks like random bug in netcode and those are very hard to fix, don't get your hopes high. Sometimes saber hit works and sometimes it doesn't, usually it works, bug is purely random, this only encourages attack button spamming.