criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Playing the light side is pure torture

2Next

Replies

• Clone201 wrote: »
    EDIT - 4:05 PM (2/9/2019)
    Han is the only good LS hero

Excuse me?
    What about Lando? Or Rey? Or Luke?

Nope...

Lando is totally screwed against any decent Darth Vader, General Grievous, or perhaps even Dooku player without his stun. His pistol is not that good and sharpshot can be blocked. Also Boba and Iden can easily beat him up; by Boba using jetpack to essentially nullify his stun and Iden using her shield to essentially nullify his stun as well.

Luke? Lol. He can't stand up to Vader, Palpatine, and Grievous, and has hard times going up against Iden or Boba too. Also deals underwhelming damage with his force abilities.

Rey is good, but not enough. Mind Trick is easily nullified by smart movement, it leaves her vulnerable as she uses it, and she too cannot stand up to Vader, Palpatine, and Grievous; including Boba Fett.

While Han Solo is screwed against decent Darth Vader (force choke + saber throw + two attacks w/rage = death) or top-tier Iden (taking no damage from detonite by use of her shield, using stun, and then taking out beyond half his health with it) for examples, he has a great gun, two unblockable / undodgable attacks that are effective, and then a center ability that's highly lethal. He has more than the slightest slim chance against all.

About Lando, you said that he would lose to Grievous and Dooku “without his stun”. But Lando’s stun works most of the time against them, and I can easily melt both heroes. Han would also lose to a good Grievous and Dooku “without his detonite charge”.
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • Han is the only good LS hero. All the others suffer from unimaginative and boring design and abilities, especially obj wan
  • Seems fine to me, I must be an anomaly
  • timidobserver
    806 posts Member
    edited February 12
    jtbesquire wrote: »
    Played yesterday. As LS we fought hard, but pretty much got destroyed - like DS still had 8 tickets. Exact same teams the following match, we were dark side and went 10-0. Easy peasy. DS is extremely OP in HvV.

This is my experience as well. What is more interesting is that I have never had the opposite occur where we beat someone with the ls and then lose to that same team with the ds.

One of the biggest factors in HvV, because it is such a small mode, is lag. Lag compensation is OP in general, because it seems to enhance things like aim assist and tweak hit detection (both by and against you) in your favor. In HvV, its even more OP because if you're on the wrong end of the lag compensation effect, your attempts to manage your own timing and positioning, things critical to the mode, are nearly useless as these things are always preempted by your opponent. Thought you picked the perfect time to push, freeze, attack, block or dodge? Nope, because even though it looked perfect on your screen, your opponent's actions always preempt yours. If they got a hit marker against you on their screen, it doesn't matter what you tried to do, you still get hit.

So if you never get on the wrong end of this lag compensation dynamic, either you're extremely lucky and frequently play in matches where everyone is low latency, or you're probably the laggard with >100 ms ping throwing off everyone else's game.

One of the biggest factors in HvV, because it is such a small mode, is lag. Lag compensation is OP in general, because it seems to enhance things like aim assist and tweak hit detection (both by and against you) in your favor. In HvV, its even more OP because if you're on the wrong end of the lag compensation effect, your attempts to manage your own timing and positioning, things critical to the mode, are nearly useless as these things are always preempted by your opponent. Thought you picked the perfect time to push, freeze, attack, block or dodge? Nope, because even though it looked perfect on your screen, your opponent's actions always preempt yours. If they got a hit marker against you on their screen, it doesn't matter what you tried to do, you still get hit.

So if you never get on the wrong end of this lag compensation dynamic, either you're extremely lucky and frequently play in matches where everyone is low latency, or you're probably the laggard with >100 ms ping throwing off everyone else's game.

I play on the Oregon server, but your analysis makes me want to try an Australian server ;)
  • jtbesquire wrote: »
    Played yesterday. As LS we fought hard, but pretty much got destroyed - like DS still had 8 tickets. Exact same teams the following match, we were dark side and went 10-0. Easy peasy. DS is extremely OP in HvV.

Not that OP, this sounds like you got something wrong in your teams and also opponents teams, somebody wasn't playing at all on light side.
  • You know what's torture? Being forced into sequel maps every time you queue up for a game, wtb era select.
  • You know what's torture? Being forced into prequel maps every time you queue up for a game, wtb era select.

PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • false; light side is OP as hell. Just takes teamwork. The synergy is much more on point with Yoda's hp buff, Lando, cc/pressure from luke & obi.
  • jesus christ. you know it'd be nice to have some modicum of consistency with the way these characters feel and play... it's tiring have to work with you all through constant changes. remember when vader was able to choke drag people off ledges and it was awesome? now his choke barely holds on and most the time when it does it causes some ridiculous glitching. dice sucks, never supporting anything they do ever again.

Vader can choke and drag now, he did that to me more than once in Naboo :)

Yea but how does that officially work now? Sometimes ill choke ppl and hold them for a few seconds accidentally. Other times i purposely want to drag someone off a ledge and the choke lets go after a split second on its own. Other times a vader will drag me far and drop me. Do you have to tap it or hold the button down or what?
  • OOM19
    2831 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »
    Lagodaki wrote: »
    Wallofman wrote: »
    You are correct, playing as the light side is MUCH harder. I do think it requires team play. I play with some guys and when we have 3 or 4 communicating we can generally win as light side. Players also must be willing to change and adapt more on the light side. Depending on what the dark side rolls out I might have to switch to a blaster hero or vice versa. Tactics and team work are a must.
    Except the way the target system favors them and their crowd control abilities mean you will suffer regardless

With changes to stuns coming, this should have a knock-on effect to the Dark Side in HvV.
    tumblr_ovx6irUEYa1uzm0gno2_400.gif

Only Saw Gerrera and powerful Rogue One season can bring balance to HVV
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • OOM19
    2831 posts Member
    edited February 14

giphy.gif

Yes! We may finally be able to have @F8RGE answer to answer the question. We have been asking for, for over a year

Could OOM-9 be added to the game? Please sir
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

Suppor The Latest OOM-9 Thread
    [url="https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/121855/grievous-vs-oom-9/p1/p1[/url]

jexdw69dwod3.png
  • false; light side is OP as hell. Just takes teamwork. The synergy is much more on point with Yoda's hp buff, Lando, cc/pressure from luke & obi.

FYI, this counts as a negative for anyone playing with randoms. The team that relies the most on teamwork is the weaker team when people are being grouped up randomly.
  • Lagodaki wrote: »
    Yup, if your on the light side might as well just leave..

I really wonder if the devs realize this

Would be true if heroes like Han, Lando, Chewie, Rey and Obi-Wan Kenobi wouldn’t exist. When played well they an easily outmatch equally skilled Dark Side Players

Would be true if heroes like Han, Lando, Chewie, Rey and Obi-Wan Kenobi wouldn’t exist. When played well they an easily outmatch equally skilled Dark Side Players

Lmao no. Vader, Grevious, iden, boba stomp

You haven’t met me as Lando, yet! Or my Han!

Don't care. & lando lmao dodge his stun & he's the easiest person to kill

I've seen great players crush as Han. And Lando. Heck, even Leia. Problem is, it only takes an average player to crush as GG. Or Vader. It takes some skill to run Iden, but an average player can stand back, pop a droid stun, and pick up the crumbs. A subpar Boba can cause headaches by turning in to a runner. Average and subpar LS players get curb stomped by the DS.
  • People shouldn't be allowed to even play sabers in HvV until they complete a strict battle scenario where they have to do everything in their power to protect a blaster wielding target from 1 or 2 sabers.

LS would quickly become bearable when the Lukes, Yodas and Obi-Wans learn to deny follow ups when blasters get choked, frozen or otherwise CC'd.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    People shouldn't be allowed to even play sabers in HvV until they complete a strict battle scenario where they have to do everything in their power to protect a blaster wielding target from 1 or 2 sabers.

LS would quickly become bearable when the Lukes, Yodas and Obi-Wans learn to deny follow ups when blasters get choked, frozen or otherwise CC'd.

Sometimes I just let myself die when there's nothing I can do but when I respawn boy do I get my revenge on them
    People shouldn't be allowed to even play sabers in HvV until they complete a strict battle scenario where they have to do everything in their power to protect a blaster wielding target from 1 or 2 sabers.

Sometimes I just let myself die when there's nothing I can do but when I respawn boy do I get my revenge on them

It's probably the most vexing thing ever. It'd be so easy to deny 4saber comp crap by just using one's head, but all the blueberries want to do is fullfill some deep-rooted "omg jedi vs sith 1v1 weeee ^_^" fantasy in the heads that has no place in the game.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
    KresusFIN wrote: »

It's probably the most vexing thing ever. It'd be so easy to deny 4saber comp crap by just using one's head, but all the blueberries want to do is fullfill some deep-rooted "omg jedi vs sith 1v1 weeee ^_^" fantasy in the heads that has no place in the game.

Best ones are when they all run off to fruitlessly 3v1 Palp or Boba leaving me as the target rolling for my life on the other side of the map vs 3 monster mashers
    p1cn08fk1e2l.png

61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • timidobserver
    806 posts Member
    edited February 16

Eh, dealing with 4 villain lightsabers isn't really that bad. The torture starts to happen when you are playing against a decent Palpatine + Iden + Boba + Phasma. That dark line up pretty much shreds any saber heavy LS team. Blocking becomes useless, staying grouped up becomes useless, and even running isn't that effective given that Palpatine is going to eventually catch you.

Eh, dealing with 4 villain lightsabers isn't really that bad. The torture starts to happen when you are playing against a decent Palpatine + Iden + Boba + Phasma. That dark line up pretty much shreds any saber heavy LS team. Blocking becomes useless, staying grouped up becomes useless, and even running isn't that effective given that Palpatine is going to eventually catch you.

Can’t say I’ve ever come up against that match up. Well, nothing that stands out.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh

Can’t say I’ve ever come up against that match up. Well, nothing that stands out.

It's incredibly annoying if you think about it.

- If the DS team is grouped up, walking anywhere near Phasma is going to result in focus target death for a saber user because saber users can't do anything about her droid.
    - Palpatine is bypassing your block.
    - Bobba is bypassing your block.
    - Iden is bypassing your block.
    - If you some how manage to pressure them through Phasma droid, which is unlikely, they'll be able to regroup before you manage to catch Boba or Palpatine

How do you win with a saber heavy hero team against that villain lineup?

- If the DS team is grouped up, walking anywhere near Phasma is going to result in focus target death for a saber user because saber users can't do anything about her droid.
    - If you some how manage to pressure them through Phasma droid, which is unlikely, they'll be able to regroup before you manage to catch Boba or Palpatine

Don't pick a saber user and use blaster heroes and yoda?

That's a pretty tame DS side.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2665 posts Member
    edited February 16

Yep, you only need 1 blaster (any) or 2 semi coordinated sabers (a push and a mindtrick one, hell Kenobi can do both) to ruin Phasma.

She makes an otherwise good comp there weak. Bossk can do the same zoning meta with much better damage output (especially against saber block turtles) using his double trap deployments and dioxis.

Vader/Kylo in chromedome's place is ideal from a metastrategy perspective, though. DS has no need to play defensively when they can simply crush any and all LS comps played aggressively with competent players.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

Founding member and commissar in chief of the Church of Janina. PSN: HanGerrelShot1st
  • I find it not as much a problem when you have a good team (tho an equal DS team still beats you 5-0 or greater)

Not really much you can do in a pub setting if you get defective LS teammates, though it happens with DS too.

6atf7zkl6bjf.png

That picture is a rare one. You must be a really good player man.
  • Alex64
    5794 posts Member
    playing this game is pure torture

I say" how do you win with a saber heavy team." You brilliantly respond with don't pick a saber user. Basically proves my point.

I say "how do you win with a saber heavy team." You respond with don't pick a saber user. That basically proves my point that some hero combinations are at a nearly unplayable disadvantage against some villain group combinations.
  • I find it not as much a problem when you have a good team (tho an equal DS team still beats you 5-0 or greater)

Not really much you can do in a pub setting if you get defective LS teammates, though it happens with DS too.

6atf7zkl6bjf.png

That picture is a rare one. You must be a really good player man.

I am pretty amazing there's only one player that can maybe challenge me but he's on Xbox and plays Hero Scrubdown
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

• Yeah, it is really bad right now, the villains got them outclassed in just about every way.

Them balancing would make this a lot better. Also, there is one thing that would make playing the LS more enjoyable for me personally.
    acf7yb2f8rv2.jpg
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Phyxsius
    356 posts Member
    edited February 17
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    Yeah, it is really bad right now, the villains got them outclassed in just about every way.

Them balancing would make this a lot better. Also, there is one thing that would make playing the LS more enjoyable for me personally.
    acf7yb2f8rv2.jpg

...or an anti-saber HK series assassin droid for LS; HK-47/HK-50 reprogrammed/captured, or HK-51 Republic design(work cut out here as SWTOR has skins for it, so they can pick one or several and cut the "creative phase").

Serves 2 main goals: is not a stick user and is a hard counter to all the powerful villains with one. Fits a similar "aimbot" ability like Finn's, via his droid assassination protocols AND saber block bypass (same number of shots as it would take for the average Iden to squeeze in while someone is stunned, or half, or whatever makes it balanced against Iden and on par).

Abilities:
    1. Assassination Protocols - more or less Deadeye from Finn
    2. Marksman - headshot damage multiplier, to have it as a "skill" shot and not insta-win
    3. Charged shot - non-AOE shot that goes through saber block (normal dmg against anything else and no special qualities past its purpose), either balanced vs Iden dmg through stun, or percentage of weapon damage (25, 35, 50, 60, 75%, whatever makes it balanced)

Idea of it is a glass cannon similar with saber users as TTK, but with a rifle AND for the LS. Maul with a gun, pretty much.
  • Admiral_Xen
    2665 posts Member
    edited February 17
    Yeah, it is really bad right now, the villains got them outclassed in just about every way.

acf7yb2f8rv2.jpg

If they were to do an LS Queen IMO
    7780wwgnh732.png
    0ig40lf6byea.png
    aged like fine scotch and still rocking the stylish retro Imperial belt and kicks.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

• Empire_TW wrote: »

acf7yb2f8rv2.jpg

7780wwgnh732.png
    0ig40lf6byea.png
    aged like fine scotch and still rocking the stylish retro Imperial belt and kicks.

oh yes, however, I think I see the cart from Extraction there and more extraction is something I also want so that is a guarantee that anything like this won't happen.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

acf7yb2f8rv2.jpg

7780wwgnh732.png
    0ig40lf6byea.png

oh yes, however, I think I see the cart from Extraction there and more extraction is something I also want so that is a guarantee that anything like this won't happen.

That's also Vardos, and the cart is basically right where my thread idea for an extraction map set there was to start, so approximately 0% chance of such content appearing in multiplayer

Maybe if it appears in the next season of clown wors it'll have a chance of getting in right after ahsuck.
    61tgj36mc1n9.png

I say "how do you win with a saber heavy team." You respond with don't pick a saber user. That basically proves my point that some hero combinations are at a nearly unplayable disadvantage against some villain group combinations.
    That basically just proves bringing only lightsabers to a game of "rock, blasters, lightsabers" is a bad idea.

Don't care. & lando lmao dodge his stun & he's the easiest person to kill

You underestimate my Power. I personally can play every hero and villain well (although I have my favorites). I dominated good Chewbacca’s back when he was OP as Early days Phasma and she’s still one of my favorites. I agree Palpatine, Bossk, Grievious, Iden, Dooku, Vader and Phasma are all pretty powerful but Landos shock and the ability to shot extremely fast makes go very Dangerous, Hans Ability to break through Lightsaber Blocks with his detonite Charge and insane Blaster Damage make him an absolutelee threat when played well, Chewies endless abound of Crowd Control Abilities and massive Damage make him dangerous and Rey an easily kill Lightsaber villains when she mind tricks them which makes them unable to turn and ten just attack them from behind. Obi-Wans Mind Trick removes Palpatines and Darth Mails Mobility which is also very useful for good teams. However with the upcoming changes to the Lightsaber combat and Anakins Release I assume even you will notice it. I really can’t believe that you haven’t seen good light side players.
  • Pure torture? Over-reaction or what? The darkside is a bit stronger, but I win a lot of Hero's Versus Villans matches when I play as the light-side. How's running around with Luke Skywalker with a light-sabre torture? I think you may be playing the wrong game

You just answered your pwn question. You cannot win with a SABER heavy LS team. The problem is too many people refuse to change and adapt to the team they are facing.

If I was up against the line up you just described I would switch to Han. His detonite can easily take down Phasma leaving the team without the droid for protection. You can shot all the others from far away. All you need it another team member to come in as Lando, or even Chewie, you can win this no problem. Or at least force them to switch villains.

When there is a Phasma player, the key is to take her out from afar and eliminate the droid.
  • Lightside Heroes are largely underpowered on their own and boring to play.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • I gotta say, playing the Light Side in HvV isn't so bad anymore. You still have to fight as a team, but it's more balanced. Dare I say: Anakin brought balance to this game mode. Last night my team was 4 saber users vs 4 saber users, and it was great. This game has many issues, but it's still loads of fun! <3 <3
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • If light side plays good teamwork together as a team, it really is OP against dark side, especially now when they have Anakin. If both teams play as a team you could get pretty good and even matches, though Anakin usually scores most kills but target system helps to win in HvV.