criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

What’s a good mode to play for a beginner?

My buddy found BF2 on eBay for $20 bucks. Said he swooped it up and excited to play it. He’s a Star Wars fan but he’s honestly not very good at video games at all. What’s a good mode to get his feet wet I don’t want him to jump right into GA and get his **** handed to him and end up quickly losing interest.

Note: when I say he’s not very good at video games at all I mean when you tell him to hit the X button he has to look down at the controller first.

Replies

• Probably Arcade mode, which is an offline mode. Then he can choose between playing Solo mode, Co-Op (2-player same team offline mode) or Versus (2-player opposite team offline mode).

These would give your buddy a chance to play against bots and get use to the general mechanics of how to play in general.
  • The_Sith_Apprentice
    2043 posts Member
    edited February 24
    i2CRE8TOR wrote: »
    Probably Arcade mode, which is an offline mode. Then he can choose between playing Solo mode, Co-Op (2-player same team offline mode) or Versus (2-player opposite team offline mode).

These would give your buddy a chance to play against bots and get use to the general mechanics of how to play in general.

Agreed. If your buddy is not skilled at video games, I would say Arcade (especially Custom Arcade) is the best. You can make your trooper or hero as powerful as you want and you can make your enemies as weak as you want. Also, all the GA maps have small parts of them in Arcade, so he can play on different locations and as different factions.

Once he gets used to the Arcade, I suggest him trying the single player Campaign on the easiest level. It might be a little challenging, but it is fun and also offline.
    Add more Extraction and Hunt maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Rogue One
    “Season” 5: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 6: Episode IX
  • After arcade I say blast. Then strike then GA if after that he feeling good hero v hero and SA.

• Live in Blast and get your 4 classes Specd out... then move onto GA
  • OcDoc
    1088 posts Member
    I would agree that offline first is a good idea. Then small modes online.

I would add that you need to tell him the early guns are not very powerful and he may die quite often at first on multiplayer but it does get better.
  • I would say strike, i played some time there and the skill level is pretty kow, ideal for beginners, and it introduces to objective play, which is good if you want to move to Galactic assault.
  • I would say strike, i played some time there and the skill level is pretty kow, ideal for beginners, and it introduces to objective play, which is good if you want to move to Galactic assault.

Skill level low? The devil you say. Sweaty try hard die hards live there 😂! You will see flip masters EOD god's there! I should know I lived there for a month and a half!
  • I was one of them 😂
  • Wish I could find a few, still searching. Op, tell ya boy to play arcade until he’s at least good at knowing what’s what on the controller/mk.
  • thelasteverjedi
    1479 posts Member
    edited February 24
    Need to look to press X? Hmm... I was going to suggest HVV. But only use non blaster heroes.
  • Arcade and then complete campaign
  • Arcade and battle scenarios. Tell him to complete them on atleast 1 and 2 stars before he tries multiplayer. He will get trounced often until he learns the maps. That's just how it is. Matchmaking is nonexistent.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • Start with offline modes to get familiar with mechanics and aim, move onto Blast, then Extraction, then Galactic Assault.
  • Recruit: GA, Arcade, Campaign
    Regular: SFA, Hero Starfighters, Hero Showdown
    Hardened: HvV, Strike, Extraction
    Veteran: Blast, Ewok Hunt
    [+3748 posts]
  • 0lszc8s5al6d.jpg
    "can't find the X button" = he might want to rethink his gaming ambitions
    Best modes to start: Blast / Strike (bc GA and HvV will be trauma at this point) & Arcade is no real test of skillz or survival tatics
    BTW: the Boss players will make you pay for that $20 discount...
  • Blast for trooper skill improvement

HVV for hero skill improvement
  • Relmets wrote: »
    Recruit: GA, Arcade, Campaign

Since when has Ewok hunt been a game for veteran? I though it was invented to keep younger players intertwined, sort of like a stepping stone game mode to the game in general.
    “The force is with me and I am one with the force. I fear nothing because everything is as the Force wills it to be.” -Chirrut Imwe
  • Arcade. Blast. Strike. Galactic Assault. Hero Showdown. Heroes vs. Villains. Starfighter Assault. Ewok Hunt IF the Ewoks are ever added to Endor as reinforcements.
    ValarMorghulisDL on PSN
  • Iceninja wrote: »
    Relmets wrote: »
    Recruit: GA, Arcade, Campaign

Since when has Ewok hunt been a game for veteran? I though it was invented to keep younger players intertwined, sort of like a stepping stone game mode to the game in general.

Clearly you haven't played enough Ewok Hunt, if any
    [+3748 posts]
  • Online then GA...they will get torn a new one in Strike or Blast or HvV or Extraction
  • Arcade. But the AI in this game is so bad that tbh to get better you kind of have to play online.
  • Finish the campaign first, just enough to learn some of the game mechanics. Then hop into Blast and play it for at least 2 weeks and experiment will every class and enforcer. Then slowly try to play GA so that you will start to learn map awareness.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• KlownShueS wrote: »
    I would say strike, i played some time there and the skill level is pretty kow, ideal for beginners, and it introduces to objective play, which is good if you want to move to Galactic assault.

Skill level low? The devil you say. Sweaty try hard die hards live there 😂! You will see flip masters EOD god's there! I should know I lived there for a month and a half!

Lol I assure you the times I played strike I effortlessly carried the game, given I play very rarely there but that's the impression it gave me. If that's not the usual flow of strike I am very sorry, I don't play there for the above motivation, I prefer extraction.
  • Note: when I say he’s not very good at video games at all I mean when you tell him to hit the X button he has to look down at the controller first.

Jeez, seriously?
    In that case, have him play every tutorial this game has to offer. Start with the Offline Battle Scenarios in Arcade. After that, Custom Arcade to train what he likes the most. After that have him play the campaign. After that, then he can start online.

If he likes to play with heroes, then have him grind all heroes to level 25 in HvV. This will give him a huge insight in what to do in Galactic Assault with Heroes. If he doesn't like heroes, have him train on Blast. I recommend starting with the Heavy Class, it's the most forgiving one.