criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar
Community Transmission

Please,... Really,... Its Official. This Game Just Jumped The Shark Tank... Anakin vs. Vader.

Prev1
i2CRE8TOR
1485 posts Member
edited March 1
Please,... Really,... Its Official. This Game Just Jumped The Shark Tank... Anakin vs. Vader.

I am keeping this short....

Making the decision to allow Vader to go up against Anakin... or Anakin to go up against Vader...

Seeing this when playing makes this Star Wars game an absolute joke... IMO.

The infamous Happy Days episode of Fonzie jumping the shark..
jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

Replies

• I would think your son deserves more attention then something we've known would happen since launch.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • I mean, multiplayer isn't really based on story so it doesn't really detract anything from the experience in my opinion. None of the battles are canon. I don't know why the experience would need to adhere to it. Just my 2 cents.

If it was a story-based game, I'd completely agree, but it's not.

See what I mean? Just such a lack of imagination and creativity to say since it's a Star Wars game we cant have it make any actual sense in any way, we've got to just toss everything out. You guys act like canon is some sacred ground like it has to be on it's own and the games should just be ridiculous nonsense. It's like most people on this forum have never played any of the great Star Wars games of the last 30 years...which were NOT canon and managed to still be incredible games that didnt have to mix and jumble everybody and every era all randomly tossed together.

Hah, and at the very least for Battlefront 2 they could have released it with TONS of heroes in era accurate playlist modes.
  • Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    edited March 1
    I mean, multiplayer isn't really based on story so it doesn't really detract anything from the experience in my opinion. None of the battles are canon. I don't know why the experience would need to adhere to it. Just my 2 cents.

Probably it has to do with the ridiculous case of a character, whatever fictional it may be, to fight itself, or exist in the same place as its two different timelines.

It is what it is, but it surely is absolutely ridiculous, even from a game's point of view and especially hurting all those "but that hero is supposed to be like that because movies, or canon". Might as well give Vader a blaster and make Yoda 7 feet tall...

Whatever suspension of disbelief existed was simply blown out of the water and turned the game in a big Star Wars themed joke.
  • Lagodaki
    912 posts Member
    I saw Anakin choking himself, now i've seen it all.
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • d0kRX
    1425 posts Member
    I'm gonna take a neutral standpoint here and just speculate.

What if the first guy who wants cross-era will never see the other guys reasoning for wanting no-cross-era?
    And,
    What if the other guy who wants no-cross-era will never see the other guys reasoning for wanting cross-era?
    And furthermore,
    What if both of these guys consistently call each other unimaginative or [insert other name here]?

Well that to me says that the argument is completely pointless, since nobody is listening to the other plus the developers certainly aren't gonna do anything about it.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • SVEJ
    1162 posts Member
    The thing that annoys me is that Vader > Anakin but instead Anakin has Vaders power but Vader has what ANAKIN should have.

They need to buff Vader. Vader for the Villains should be like anakin, His force choke should kill upon use and it should have a wider area. His rage should build the more he takes damage and his lightsaber throw should be a 1 hit kill. also he should have a redemption ability where it builds up and uses the same thing as anakin.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    edited March 1
    i2CRE8TOR wrote: »

Making the decision to allow Vader to go up against Anakin... or Anakin to go up against Vader...

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

For those here who might not know the origins of the term..."JUMPING THE SHARK."
    Well, Happy Days was a very popular and well liked TV show (based in the 1950's time period) that started in 1974 and ended for most part in 1984... BUT in 1977 an episode aired in which the character FONZIE jumped a shark.

For many, many show admirers and fans... the show (quality) kind of petered out at that point... even though the show continued... petered on until 1984.

The idiom JUMPING THE SHARK is considered the moment when something that was once popular no longer warrants the attention it previously received, but makes an attempt at publicity which only serves to highlight its irrelevance. This is especially applicable to television series or other entertainment outlets. The idiom "JUMPING THE SHARK" is pejorative, most commonly used in reference to unsuccessful gimmicks for promoting something. It is similar to "past its peak" but more specifically suggests an unwillingness to acknowledge the failing.

• i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    I hate these people who are fanatics about story. Just don’t play if you care so much about such a tiny thing
    Interesting... I voice my opinion about a game aspect ... and you voice your hate for people who voice a differing point of view or opinion. Must be wonderful to live in a world ruled by you. Go change your diaper little one.
    ... I agree....the game, now, is just for all these hero dependent players who don't seem to care much for Star Wars since they have a religion about how all SW games can only be fun if it's just dumb gimmicks, everything all jumbled and mixed together nonsensical and canon CANNOT ever be adhered or respected because "that would be soo boring! It's just a game so it has to be a dumb jumble of everything or it won't work! Go watch the movies if you want something resembling Star Wars! We dont want a Star Wars game! Just lightsabers and stuff junked up together! Get gud!"

I had way more fun and decent conversation during the last Battlefront on the forum. Miss that crowd...miss that game being the game.
    Agree.
  • CeymalRen
    1089 posts Member

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

The CW crowd cries the loudest. What are you gonna do.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    edited March 1
    I mean, multiplayer isn't really based on story so it doesn't really detract anything from the experience in my opinion. None of the battles are canon. I don't know why the experience would need to adhere to it. Just my 2 cents.

Fair enough... but I would add that SWBF multi-player is story based... it is based on Star Wars.
    Akakin vs Vader is a joke...

Just like... looking forward to when EA gives us Young Dark Side Iden Versio vs. Older Light Side Iden Verio.
  • i2CRE8TOR wrote: »

Fair enough... but I would add that SWBF multi-player is story based... it is based on Star Wars.

Just like... looking forward to when EA gives us Young Dark Side Iden Versio vs. Older Light Side Iden Verio.

So, Rey can fight Darth Maul, Han Solo can outshoot Emperor Palpatine, and Kylo can fight clones on Kamino, but your concern is Anakin vs Vader?

They already said no to that
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    edited March 1
    error
    Post edited by i2CRE8TOR on
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif
    For those here who might not know the origins of the term..."JUMPING THE SHARK."

Well, Happy Days was a very popular and well liked TV show (based in the 1950's time period) that started in 1974 and ended for most part in 1984... BUT in 1977 an episode aired in which the character FONZIE jumped a shark.

For many, many show admirers and fans... the show (quality) kind of petered out at that point... even though the show continued... petered on until 1984.

The idiom JUMPING THE SHARK is considered the moment when something that was once popular no longer warrants the attention it previously received, but makes an attempt at publicity which only serves to highlight its irrelevance. This is especially applicable to television series or other entertainment outlets. The idiom "JUMPING THE SHARK" is pejorative, most commonly used in reference to unsuccessful gimmicks for promoting something. It is similar to "past its peak" but more specifically suggests an unwillingness to acknowledge the failing.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    JediJulius wrote: »

So, Rey can fight Darth Maul, Han Solo can outshoot Emperor Palpatine, and Kylo can fight clones on Kamino, but your concern is Anakin vs Vader?
    Not "a concern"...

Rather instead it is IN FACT A COMPLETE UTTER JOKE and MOCKERY.

Anakin and Vader ARE THE SAME PERSON... what garbage.

Respectfully... your examples listed do not bear out the same type of circumstance.
  • Jaku
    205 posts Member
    edited March 2
    Pretend it's a vision, that type of thing is in canon right? Relax
  • Versatti
    2087 posts Member

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

I get it, though I think BFII’s issue is that it jumps said shark tank inconsistently. For example, you can’t argue that a battle damaged Vader appearance or granny Iden is any more of an issue than what we’ve been presented with in this update.

Cross era should never have been a feature outside of HvV style game modes.

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

I can see why it irritates some fans even though personally I don't have much of a problem with it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer not to see stuff like Anakin vs Vader.

They said they would lock Heroes and Villains (in multiplayer, not arcade thankfully) to their respective eras once there are enough of them right? So we'll just have to be more patient.

And thanks for explaining the shark thing, did not know what that was.
  • CeymalRen
    1089 posts Member

They already said no to that

Oh so that's where they draw the line?
  • CeymalRen
    1089 posts Member
    Heroes should be era locked in GA. Or at least there should be a playlist that has that. There are more than enough heroes to do it now as there shouldn't be more than two heroes in each game anyway. Unless we are speaking about HVV and HS. That shouldn't have any limitations IMO.
  • CeymalRen
    1089 posts Member
    I hate these people who are fanatics about story. Just don’t play if you care so much about such a tiny thing

You got some nerve to presume to tell people that the solution is "don't play". I think you can skip advice like that.
  • I like it. <3
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements
    Heroes vs Villains Improvements
    4th Ability Concept - Yoda

1j58fmke3evs.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ 𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮
    𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘯, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰 𝘢𝘴 𝘐 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘖𝘬𝘢𝘺? ❞
    - Leia Organa

• jordi1337
    1385 posts Member
    stop crying the mutliplayer is non canon
  • Relmets
    2222 posts Member
    this game jumped the shark a long time ago
    [+3748 posts]
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    Versatti wrote: »

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

I get it, though I think BFII’s issue is that it jumps said shark tank inconsistently. For example, you can’t argue that a battle damaged Vader appearance or granny Iden is any more of an issue than what we’ve been presented with in this update.

Cross era should never have been a feature outside of HvV style game modes.
    Agree... good points.

• i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

I can see why it irritates some fans even though personally I don't have much of a problem with it. That doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer not to see stuff like Anakin vs Vader.

They said they would lock Heroes and Villains (in multiplayer, not arcade thankfully) to their respective eras once there are enough of them right? So we'll just have to be more patient.

And thanks for explaining the shark thing, did not know what that was.
    Yeah, agree... in Arcade, players should be able to access everything at all times... IMO.
    After my initial post edit-time closed... Irealized I should have explained the JUMPING THE SHARK idiom. So thanks.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    CeymalRen wrote: »
    Heroes should be era locked in GA. Or at least there should be a playlist that has that. There are more than enough heroes to do it now as there shouldn't be more than two heroes in each game anyway. Unless we are speaking about HVV and HS. That shouldn't have any limitations IMO.
    I can understand the possible reasoning behind EA's/DICE's/DISNEY's/LUCASFILM's decision to go ahead and allow the scenario of having an Anakin vs Vader... Vader vs. Anakin... because 'visually' they both are quite different looking to name one thing...

BUT in the end... they are the same person. And seeing them battle it out in the game whether you are playing as one of them or not... turns this game into a complete joke and charade, thereby JUMPING THE SHARK, IMO.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    I like it. <3
    Fair enough.
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    jordi1337 wrote: »
    stop crying the mutliplayer is non canon
    IMO... 'non canon' vs. allowing the same character from different time periods to battle it out... are quite different... and one of those is an utter charade and joke (same character scenario).
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    Relmets wrote: »
    this game jumped the shark a long time ago
    I can understand that... but IMO... it became Official by allowing for the first time in this game... the same character from different time periods battle it out... what a charade and joke.
  • Draxin
    215 posts Member
    edited March 3
    Really? Of all the errors, discrepancies, problems, bugs, glitches, and inconsistencies this game has...you complain about Vader and Anakin existing on the same plane of imaginary existence as clone troopers using the FWMB-10K, storm troopers using the A280, First Order officers using the BLURRG-1120, Maul, Phasma, Luke, and Leia fighting on Geonosis?

Don't give me "your examples listed do not bear out the same type of circumstance" because yes they do. Anakin and Vader are two ENTIRELY different personalities and people, the only reason they are considered to be the same person is because both use the same body, or one uses most of the same body. Different force sensitivity, different morals, different thought processes, different fighting techniques, different combat statistics and stratagems, different saber, different EVERYTHING! They are as close to one another as red apples are to green apples, they're similar but both have hugely different variables that separate them.
    Hi.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

Agreed OP. Was not looking forward to the day this would become a possibility.

I have no problem with it in HVV or HS. But it is beyond silly to see in GA to me.

Why didn’t they feature Vader vs Anakin in that SWEET community update video or preview? Answer: it’s ridiculous to see played out.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    edited March 3
    Piscettios wrote: »

jbzfjjpkrldw.gif

Agreed OP. Was not looking forward to the day this would become a possibility.

I have no problem with it in HVV or HS. But it is beyond silly to see in GA to me.

Why didn’t they feature Vader vs Anakin in that SWEET community update video or preview? Answer: it’s ridiculous to see played out.
    Yep...and funny point regarding "that sweet community update video/preview."
  • i2CRE8TOR
    1485 posts Member
    edited March 3
    error
    JediJulius wrote: »
    "i2CRE8TOR wrote: »

Not "a concern"...

Rather instead it is IN FACT A COMPLETE UTTER JOKE and MOCKERY.

Anakin and Vader ARE THE SAME PERSON... what garbage.

Respectfully... your examples listed do not bear out the same type of circumstance.
    Draxin wrote: »

Really? Of all the errors, discrepancies, problems, bugs, glitches, and inconsistencies this game has...you complain about Vader and Anakin existing on the same plane of imaginary existence as clone troopers using the FWMB-10K, storm troopers using the A280, First Order officers using the BLURRG-1120, Maul, Phasma, Luke, and Leia fighting on Geonosis?

Don't give me "your examples listed do not bear out the same type of circumstance" because yes they do. Anakin and Vader are two ENTIRELY different personalities and people, the only reason they are considered to be the same person is because both use the same body, or one uses most of the same body. Different force sensitivity, different morals, different thought processes, different fighting techniques, different combat statistics and stratagems, different saber, different EVERYTHING! They are as close to one another as red apples are to green apples, they're similar but both have hugely different variables that separate them.

Friendly reply here...

First off... I choose to be polite to the other OP (Humpty Dumpty) by saying... "RESPECTFULLY, your examples listed..." so thanks for your 'humorously read'... "Don't give me your examples listed..."

Regarding your opinion Anakin and Vader being TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES AND PEOPLE... I would offer up this little tidy... Ultimately, do they both have... O' I don't know... maybe the same head, (yes head, cranium, melon) in the end? That would be a big YES, which EP 6 Return of the Jedi confirmed.

So, for instance... any Star Wars character could get rid or loose most everything on their body... their neck, chest, arms, hands, legs and feet...

But come on... please... Anakin and Vader end up having the same head, cranium, melon...... It Is The Same Person... and WE ALL KNOW IT.

I share Nien Nunb's reaction to this utter joke and charade game aspect (Anakin vs Vader) which made it OFFICIAL, that SWBF2 had in fact Jumped-The-Shark now.
    giphy.gif

Conversely... here is my reaction (below) to as you said, "all the errors, discrepancies, problems, bugs, glitches, and inconsistencies this game has..." I take "inconsistencies" as also including cross era inconsistences which I tend to have less issues with... or put another way... I tend to accept those easier.
    giphy.gif
  • SrawDawg
    739 posts Member
    Its just a game, and after all Luke on Degobah had a vision of fighting Vader and he chopped his head off and it was him in the suit. I think in a perfect world all these characters would look the same though separated by time. Anakin -Luke , Padme - Ray

I believe that Adam looked almost the same or the same as Jesus Christ.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    SrawDawg wrote: »
    Its just a game, and after all Luke on Degobah had a vision of fighting Vader and he chopped his head off and it was him in the suit.

There was some great significance to that scene, and it has nothing to do with what OP is on about.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • GenxDarchi
    7723 posts Member
    It’s pretty much fine with what, Maul still having legs on Endor. If they can exist, that means they time traveled, and that means Vader could time travel as well.
    You guys are gonna make me rich......
    Xbox G-tag
    XJO461
    That Specialist rework was disappointing.
    nceaq2h23fqj.png

• Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    edited March 3

A drunk Draxin may have different morals or a different thought process, but if he is hit by a car on his way home, both Draxins will have a broken leg on top of the nice headache in the morning, at the same time, no less.

Anakin IS Vader, whether you like it or not. It IS the same physical body, not a different state of entropy. And having 20 years ago Vader fight present time Vader is a bit ridiculous. Is also opens up a significant can'o'worms: Young Solo, Granny Iden, Senator Palpy, Princess Phasma, Baby Boba, etc.
  • Draxin
    215 posts Member
    First off... I choose to be polite to the other OP (Humpty Dumpty) by saying... "RESPECTFULLY, your examples listed..." so thanks for your 'humorously read'... "Don't give me your examples listed..."

Not sure why you mentioned being polite...it doesn't really matter to me how you act so here have a brownie or something I don't know, not really something you admit its just whats expected of you, and that "examples listed" thing still stands you just chose not to say anything that actually refuted it in any way other than strawmanning that argument. Good job.
    Regarding your opinion Anakin and Vader being TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES AND PEOPLE... I would offer up this little tidy... Ultimately, do they both have... O' I don't know... maybe the same head, (yes head, cranium, melon) in the end? That would be a big YES, which EP 3 Return of the Jedi confirmed.

Its not the same if you consider hes dramatically aged, paled, and damaged in comparison to Anakin not to mention DIFFERENT ACTORS. Also not sure why you called ROTJ episode 3, unless that's some OT elitist thing.
    So, for instance... any Star Wars character could get rid or loose most everything on their body... their neck, chest, arms, hands, legs and feet...

You're still strawmanning my argument, him losing most of his body isn't just why he's a different person altogether, its like you're purposefully disregarding my other points.
    But come on... please... Anakin and Vader end up having the same head, cranium, melon...... It Is The Same Person... and WE ALL KNOW IT.

Barely, even in the slightest are they similar. The only thing they have in common was at the end of ROTJ when they both shared the same eye color for a VERY BRIEF moment.

I also stated all of this in my post which you seem to have flew right by...I know they share the same body but its not the same anymore, anything Anakin and Vader shared has been either corrupted or destroyed throughout the years. That perfectly good not rotting tanned skin tone Anakin had? Vader destroyed it with 3rd/4th degree burns, rotting flesh, and charred brown scars.
    Conversely... here is my reaction (below) to as you said, "all the errors, discrepancies, problems, bugs, glitches, and inconsistencies this game has..." I take "inconsistencies" as also including cross era inconsistences which I tend to have less issues with... or put another way... I tend to accept those easier.

So, its just that you dislike Vader Vs. Anakin more and see clones vs Rey as less of a problem? Stop wasting peoples time. They won't change this and if they do it'l be way into the future. You've essentially gone through the trouble of creating a thread about a nit-pick you have? Wow.

What else would I expect here. Another tired old reference to a film made over 30 years ago. Can the people of this forum PLEASE find some new content if you're really gonna do the gif thing? I can think of over 20 gifs that better suit your silly argument, not that it would help anyways.
    Hi.
  • Phyxsius wrote: »

A drunk Draxin may have different morals or a different thought process, but if he is hit by a car on his way home, both Draxins will have a broken leg on top of the nice headache in the morning, at the same time, no less.

Anakin IS Vader, whether you like it or not. It IS the same physical body, not a different state of entropy. And having 20 years ago Vader fight present time Vader is a bit ridiculous. Is also opens up a significant can'o'worms: Young Solo, Granny Iden, Senator Palpy, Princess Phasma, Baby Boba, etc.

What does this have to do with anything? We have Young Solo, F8RGE said no to Granny iden, mostly because iden is a lame character anyways, and the others......I have no idea what you're on about.
  • Draxin
    215 posts Member
    Phyxsius wrote: »

Being drunk and partially disabled is nowhere near having all four of your limbs chopped off, 3rd/4th degree burns, a dark side corruption that turns you into a literal monster and shell of your former self, and puts you into a metal suit that both gives you intense pain whilst keeping you alive. That is a ridiculous conclusion and comparison.
    Hi.
  • Draxin wrote: »
    Phyxsius wrote: »

Being drunk and partially disabled is nowhere near having all four of your limbs chopped off, 3rd/4th degree burns, a dark side corruption that turns you into a literal monster and shell of your former self, and puts you into a metal suit that both gives you intense pain whilst keeping you alive. That is a ridiculous conclusion and comparison.

It’s a perfectly legit comparison, considering it was directed at your ridiculous assertion.