criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

So I bought arcade games

So I bought a couple old school arcade game machines I used to go to the mall and play as a kid. So after putting them together and running in the basement my kids think they are in the 80's and putting quarters on the machines for next.

It's great seeing them smile and laugh and the sound of old school video game sounds of death in pac-man!

Right now my second oldest son had top score in pac-man plus. Three out of 4 daughters said not by 10pm tonight he will keep that score. Right now on the other machine is a gauntlet tag team tournament for the highest level.

So far my youngest son( the autistic one and 2nd to the youngest daughter holds the top level of 23. My eldest son is confused he said "How can I be a video game master and I can't get my name on not one of these six games blasphemy I tell you I'm better than this. "

Yes I went old school with these kids. Not one is playing Xbox 1 or ps4 or on YouTube. All playing with each other.

But later rampage its on me and mom(my wife) we going to tear that 💩 👆!

Replies

• mastery0ta
    6140 posts Member
    Rampage was so awesome. New games may have the graphics but will never top the classics
  • Ha! Take that kids ranked 3rd on street fighter!

But my wife said stop shaking the machine and no more standing on a kids foot to get the advantage.
  • EA_Rtas
    1095 posts EA Moderator
    I loved arcades when I was young, it saddens me when I see the places that used to be arcades now. Kudos on introducing an amazing part of gaming history to your kids!
  • Thanks.
  • Awesome! I grew up in the arcade era, and still play them at places close to my house once a week, at least. My sons enjoy them too.
  • Great post, @KlownShueS ! I too am over 40 (username gives it away) and grew up in a mall arcade, playing games like: Marble Madness, Dragon's Lair (first $0.50 game), 720, Temple of Doom, Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Rush 'n Attack (funniest Cold War themed name ever), Cheyenne, Sinistar, Defender, Asteroids, and of course those awesome NINTENDO arcade machines, where you could play VS Golf or VS Tennis. I shot -19 for 18 holes once! I ignored pinball back then, now it's my favorite genre. Got pinball league tonight in fact.
    And yes, I agree, Rampage was the bomb. Mindless fun - that game is full of it!
    "I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you!"
  • I loved that game! (rush n attack) wow a pin ball machine! Now I was never good at those but they sure got about 20,000 of my quarters! @UNSANE_fan75 My father n law said my wife and her sister got kicked out of a arcade for tilting the machines on a daily bases. Lol.
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    I loved that game! (rush n attack) wow a pin ball machine! Now I was never good at those but they sure got about 20,000 of my quarters! @UNSANE_fan75 My father n law said my wife and her sister got kicked out of a arcade for tilting the machines on a daily bases. Lol.
    Ha! But that's how you're supposed to play! I mean, try not to TILT too often, you not only lose your ball, but lose your end of ball bonus, but if you're not tilting occasionally, you're not doing it right. We have issues occasionally with bar bouncers who aren't keen on how pinball is really played. You NEED to smack the table up a bit in order to play like a pro, and the owners of the table don't care, they know it's part of the game, but sometimes the bar security (bouncers) get upset with people tilting or nudging too hard, or even trying to dislodge a stuck ball. We had to tell an owner that his bouncer was giving us a hard time and he literally said, "Tell them I said you can hit my tables as hard as you'd like!"

But seriously, it's refreshing to hear you are having your kids play old school games, and the sounds emanating from your basement, reminding you of back-in-the-day good times, that's great. Gauntlet 4-player is where it's at, too! Hack n slash before the term was even coined!
  • Your right on everything!
    Your right on everything!

So are you! Have a good one, man!
    Your right on everything!

So are you! Have a good one, man!

You too
    me and mom(my wife)

could’ve worded that better
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • AzorAhai
    1328 posts Member
    Spyhunter, Punchout, Gauntlet and Rampage are probably my most memorable arcade games. I played a bunch more of course, but those 4 all really got me pumped when I'd see them. Took so many of my quarters when I was a kid.
  • AzorAhai wrote: »
    Spyhunter, Punchout, Gauntlet and Rampage are probably my most memorable arcade games. I played a bunch more of course, but those 4 all really got me pumped when I'd see them. Took so many of my quarters when I was a kid.

Oh man, Spy Hunter has to be one of the most difficult games of all time. I think I've gotten to the speedboat a few times, but even on Nintendo at home couldn't master that game. How about you?
    Punch-out!!! YES! the mike tyson code: 007 646 0373 but I know that's wrong, but I used to know it by heart, I just HAD to beat him, and I needed Nintendo Power tips to do it, too. haha
    me and mom(my wife)

could’ve worded that better

Yes could of. Kids caller her mom and I've gotten the habit of saying mom example "go ask mom if you can watch that" or "I can't take you right now go ask mom" or " why you calling me I'm at work call mom to see if it's okay".
  • I also loved arcade games and pinball machines, played Defender, Pac-Man, Space Invaders and others when I was young. I had Donkey Kong Game&Watch, now playing same game with Nintendo Switch.
  • Versatti
    2089 posts Member
    Rampage was one of my favourites. My brother and I also used to love playing Double Dragon. :heart:
  • UNSANE_fan75
    1543 posts Member
    edited May 28
    @KlownShueS , @AzorAhai , Check out this PONG table I played this weekend. I also had a run-in with Vader! lol B) (and yes, I'm holding a Chewbacca coke can koosie)
    e8nfrll60pvz.jpgpdao07jmfp9l.jpg

agratv4ju6lg.jpg
  • Marvel VS Capcom 2 should be next on your purchase list lol.
  • AzorAhai
    1328 posts Member
    @KlownShueS , @AzorAhai , Check out this PONG table I played this weekend. I also had a run-in with Vader! lol B) (and yes, I'm holding a Chewbacca coke can koosie)

agratv4ju6lg.jpg

Awesome man!

Where was this?
  • AzorAhai wrote: »

agratv4ju6lg.jpg

Awesome man!

Where was this?

The Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown and Gameroom Expo in Denver. https://www.pinballshowdown.com/index.html
    All the games are set to free play and you pay admission. I stayed in the hotel and played in 4 pinball tourneys and did rather well, for me at least. Met some really nice people, sans Vader of course. :o Also played the new Willy Wonka pinball (Jersey Jack) that's not released yet, that is a WAY fun machine. Slugworth Multiball! haha