criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

A Return of Some Pickups?

As a preliminary, let me say that I'm not talking about hero tokens in any way. I'm personally very satisfied with the BP system for heroes, vehicles, and reinforcements.
What I'm thinking of here is weapons and bonus devices that could be used across the four base classes, but are only available as drops on the field and only have limited usage. I find myself missing some of the pickups in Battlefront 2015, and I don't think they were among the flawed aspects of that game. It used to be pretty fun to be able to get a single thermal imploder, rocket launcher, or ion disruptor for instance. They were fun for me because they could be a high risk/high reward thing. You only had one shot, but if you were really good, or lucky, or both, you could make it count.
I don't think that these things could be simply ported over from the old game and used in the same way. Obviously some of these are already in use as class specific items, but it could be cool to perhaps add some new things like this. Also I wouldn't want them to appear on the field as tokens. They could be in random boxes laying around, like what is already in the game on certain maps with ion disruptors for MTTs.
Another aspect of this could be the addition of new points of interest across maps, encouraging more alternative routing towards objectives. On Kashyyyk for instance, in the first phase there is a large area that is usually fairly empty of activity which might change if it was known that some good pickups could be found there.

Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

Replies

• Wildedile wrote: »
    As a preliminary, let me say that I'm not talking about hero tokens in any way. I'm personally very satisfied with the BP system for heroes, vehicles, and reinforcements.
    What I'm thinking of here is weapons and bonus devices that could be used across the four base classes, but are only available as drops on the field and only have limited usage. I find myself missing some of the pickups in Battlefront 2015, and I don't think they were among the flawed aspects of that game. It used to be pretty fun to be able to get a single thermal imploder, rocket launcher, or ion disruptor for instance. They were fun for me because they could be a high risk/high reward thing. You only had one shot, but if you were really good, or lucky, or both, you could make it count.
    I don't think that these things could be simply ported over from the old game and used in the same way. Obviously some of these are already in use as class specific items, but it could be cool to perhaps add some new things like this. Also I wouldn't want them to appear on the field as tokens. They could be in random boxes laying around, like what is already in the game on certain maps with ion disruptors for MTTs.
    Another aspect of this could be the addition of new points of interest across maps, encouraging more alternative routing towards objectives. On Kashyyyk for instance, in the first phase there is a large area that is usually fairly empty of activity which might change if it was known that some good pickups could be found there.

Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements?

I was gonna say that the basics are already there with the Ion Disruptor, but you already mentioned that.
    This could work.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • It would be great to get some power weapon pickups like a rocket launcher or something to help deal with vehicles.
  • I know people will hate absolutely this idea, but I think it’d be cool if every once in a while a Jedi left behind a lightsaber after getting killed. Of course whoever picks it up wouldn’t get any of the force abilities, but it’d be a pretty sweet melee weapon! And several non-Jedi/non-Sith have wielded lightsabers briefly (even if only to cut open a tauntaun), so it’s not without precedent. Also, when Obi-wan Kenobi died, he left behind his lightsaber, so, again, it’s not that crazy of an idea that a lightsaber could be found on a battlefield ...
  • I know people will hate absolutely this idea, but I think it’d be cool if every once in a while a Jedi left behind a lightsaber after getting killed. Of course whoever picks it up wouldn’t get any of the force abilities, but it’d be a pretty sweet melee weapon! And several non-Jedi/non-Sith have wielded lightsabers briefly (even if only to cut open a tauntaun), so it’s not without precedent. Also, when Obi-wan Kenobi died, he left behind his lightsaber, so, again, it’s not that crazy of an idea that a lightsaber could be found on a battlefield ...

Not a bad idea, but I'd prefer they just add generic Jedi as a reinforcement class instead.
  • Empire_TW
    5546 posts Member
    The thermal imploder should go back to being a limited pickup and not a spammable ability unique to one unit.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • ROMG4
    2421 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    The thermal imploder should go back to being a limited pickup and not a spammable ability unique to one unit.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

You mean you don't like that Officer who built up 30,000 battle points and keeps spamming the walkway on Starkiller base with Imploder after Imploder, Imploder, After Imploder?
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • Empire_TW
    5546 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

You mean you don't like that Officer who built up 30,000 battle points and keeps spamming the walkway on Starkiller base with Imploder after Imploder, Imploder, After Imploder?

Starkiller base? Try that on Theed and Kamino.
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
  • Why not? Have a couple of rocket launchers and other pickups just laying around the map. No blue token. As long as they didn’t come in place of new blasters.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • Lagodaki
    773 posts Member
    Despised pickups in BF15.
    Hopefully they never are added to this game
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • If they are implemented so that they look like weapon caches or crates and the like, then heck yeah!!! To balance it out, they could only have a limited supply, or that it regenerates slowly. Or, make it cost BPs to get one. Like a Thermal Imploder is 300BPs, and once someone gets one from the cache, there's a minute cooldown period before anyone can get one again. Would be in the 4th ability slot.

I love this idea. Would be great if added. It would just throw the map balance all over the place, too. Could be good, could be bad. Let's just try it!!!
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

Yes, only If it spawned at random times and random set of locationa I'd be down with it, just so the chances of camping would be very minimal. Otherwise, 1/3 of each team would be camping them.
  • I think this is a good idea.

I enjoyed the pick-ups. It adds to the game-play, especially if they appear in random places.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

Yes, only If it spawned at random times and random set of locationa I'd be down with it, just so the chances of camping would be very minimal. Otherwise, 1/3 of each team would be camping them.

All these things need 100% randomisation...and I'd be for it.
  • Empire_TW
    5546 posts Member

Could be like Ewoke Hunt and there are weapon cases scattered about.
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
  • Yeah sure. Why not. I would love those in arcade more than anything.
  • bfloo
    14501 posts Member
    Aside from the tokens, which I eventually got past, the power ups were a great idea in the last game.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• AbyssWatch3r
    4884 posts Member
    edited March 7
    What if you could spend BPs on items not normally accessible? Like cross class blasters for 1.5k bps, or drawing from other classes card lineups for a fourth trait or ability, that remains as long as you live? Aerial Jetpack on your class for 2k bps? Spawn in with extra "armor" as non-regenable extra HP, like 200 or so for like 1.2k bps.

@F8RGE? Just something to think about.
    This is how you teach scrubs:
    xnvLDB.gif
  • Miss the Viper, R5 and Med droids. More wasted assets.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • bfloo
    14501 posts Member
    Miss the Viper, R5 and Med droids. More wasted assets.

I really don't miss the Viper and R5 death rays.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png