criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Ea/Dice why are you catering to Reddit instead of the forum here???

TjPunx
1578 posts Member
Title says it all.

Replies

• They could easily direct the people who own and play the game to here instead of spending their time over there. Their excuse of more people paying attention to Reddit could easily be changed if they stopped responding there and directed people here. I say this, though, having never been to Reddit or understanding its appeal, so I may be in the minority with these thoughts.
  • ZephanUnbound
    2931 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Most likely because the Battlefront community on Reddit is way larger than the community on this forum. There are currently 89 people online on this forum, the Battlefront Reddit has 1,900 people online right now.

It's not like the devs completely ignore this forum, seems like F8RGE posts in a few threads a week here, and they run some official polls here as well.
  • TjPunx
    1578 posts Member
    Reddit is an echo chamber hugbox of people too afraid to be downvoted for genuine opinions that go against the groupthink, so they just praise the devs and say only nice things in hopes of being upvoted so they can fit in. When given the choice between constructive criticism (these forums) or having their egos stroked (Reddit), many devs have a long history of choosing the latter, especially DICE who do this every time they release a game. Nobody wants to face the harsher truths and complaints about their hard work, that's a natural human thing, and this forum's users aren't generally averse to expressing these opinions. Reddit is essentially internet communism and the devs would rather hear players sticking to an accepted party line than any form of dissent.

This is 100% true
  • Reddit is an echo chamber hugbox of people too afraid to be downvoted for genuine opinions that go against the groupthink, so they just praise the devs and say only nice things in hopes of being upvoted so they can fit in. When given the choice between constructive criticism (these forums) or having their egos stroked (Reddit), many devs have a long history of choosing the latter, especially DICE who do this every time they release a game. Nobody wants to face the harsher truths and complaints about their hard work, that's a natural human thing, and this forum's users aren't generally averse to expressing these opinions. Reddit is essentially internet communism and the devs would rather hear players sticking to an accepted party line than any form of dissent.

Hard to disagree with anything stated here. Well said.
  • Finest_Banana
    1793 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Most likely because the Battlefront community on Reddit is way larger than the community on this forum. There are currently 89 people online on this forum, the Battlefront Reddit has 1,900 people online right now.

It's not like the devs completely ignore this forum, seems like F8RGE or Charlemagne post in at least 1 thread a day here, and they run some official polls here as well.

The population declined as the devs focused on R*ddit. If DICE stopped responding to posts on R*ddit and focused on these forums, membership would go up here. Many people follow the information.

It's not like posting on R*ddit has helped DICE out. Their response to the MTX criticism on R*ddit was the most down-voted post in Reddit history IIRC. They could've responded to the situation here without the negative publicity of being the most downvoted post in history. That situation was covered by several outlets. Heck, didn't Fox News even run a segment about it?
    My name is Bob

• Most likely because the Battlefront community on Reddit is way larger than the community on this forum. There are currently 89 people online on this forum, the Battlefront Reddit has 1,900 people online right now.

It's not like the devs completely ignore this forum, seems like F8RGE or Charlemagne post in at least 1 thread a day here, and they run some official polls here as well.

This forum had gotten smaller as the devs pay more attention to R*ddit. If DICE stopped responding to posts on R*ddit and focused on these forums, membership would go up here. Many people follow the information.

It's not like posting on R*ddit has helped DICE out. Their response to the MTX criticism on R*ddit was the most down-voted post in Reddit history IIRC. They could've responded to the situation here without the negative publicity of being the most downvoted post in history. That situation was covered by several outlets. Heck, didn't Fox News even run a segment about it?

Well, when you only get around 3-4 replies from Devs per month, it kind of feels like we're all throwing our suggestions, criticisms and bug reports into a bottomless void on this forum. It's easy to see why people move on.

There are topics and suggestions (such as new hero modes, porting over maps from 2015, more hero skins, etc.) that have been straight-up ignored.

I keep posting hoping to promote the things I think will make this game better, deaf ears or not. It seemed like they took consideration to the forums' opinions in 2015 and I saw things that I straight up posted about implemented (not saying I was the reason, but it certainly felt like one person can help guide a discussion or the Devs' thoughts about the game). So that little bit of hope keeps me going... probably foolish but oh well.

Hope they read these threads though. Some of us really do take the time to articulate ourselves properly and try to honestly help suggest features that would be great for this game.
  • Reddit is an echo chamber hugbox of people too afraid to be downvoted for genuine opinions that go against the groupthink, so they just praise the devs and say only nice things in hopes of being upvoted so they can fit in. When given the choice between constructive criticism (these forums) or having their egos stroked (Reddit), many devs have a long history of choosing the latter, especially DICE who do this every time they release a game. Nobody wants to face the harsher truths and complaints about their hard work, that's a natural human thing, and this forum's users aren't generally averse to expressing these opinions. Reddit is essentially internet communism and the devs would rather hear players sticking to an accepted party line than any form of dissent.

Having no experience with Reddit, if this is true then it makes 100% sense in the behavior we've seen time and again.
  • Honestly, why do we still post here? DICE hasn't implemented a single one of my recommendations. The community team hasn't responded to any of my posts either. And I'm certainly not the only one.

They don't implement recommendations. If you happen to mention something that is planned to happen you will think it was your idea they listened to. Of course it wasn't.

Whilst I barely use reddit, that hasn't been my experience, I would say that is more true for twitter, very much a consensus culture going on there.
  • Honestly, why do we still post here? DICE hasn't implemented a single one of my recommendations. The community team hasn't responded to any of my posts either. And I'm certainly not the only one.

They don't implement recommendations. If you happen to mention something that is planned to happen you will think it was your idea they listened to. Of course it wasn't.

What's the point of the forums then?

I'll say this: The lack ofcommunication from DICE is annoying. Bungie does a much better job. Back when D2 was struggling, they had a big meeting with prominent members of the community. In the in-person meeting, they discussed the state of the game, provided feedback, tested future content, and exchanged ideas. The group included popular D2 streamers and prominent PvP and PvE players. It also included several members from the Bungie forum and the D2 subreddit. Many of those who were invited were outspoken critics of the game.

The meeting was a huge success. It led to changes which dramatically changed the game. The attendees successfully convinced the developers to change several things they were holding out on. Most importantly, it showed that Bungie truly cares about their community and reputation.
    My name is Bob

What's the point of the forums then?

I'll say this: The lack ofcommunication from DICE is annoying. Bungie does a much better job. Back when D2 was struggling, they had a big meeting with prominent members of the community. In the in-person meeting, they discussed the state of the game, provided feedback, tested future content, and exchanged ideas. The group included popular D2 streamers and prominent PvP and PvE players. It also included several members from the Bungie forum and the D2 subreddit. Many of those who were invited were outspoken critics of the game.

The meeting was a huge success. It led to changes which dramatically changed the game. The attendees successfully convinced the developers to change several things they were holding out on. Most importantly, it showed that Bungie truly cares about their community and reputation.

That sounds genuinely brilliant. Massive credit to Bungie. That's how forums should work.

I have yet to see anything significant like that come from this forum tho. I mean they don't even use this forum for their main feedback.

If yet to see any content or changes that came as a direct result of forum feedback here.

I think this forums here to tick a box just to say they have one.
  • So wait, is D2 that good now? Hmmm... last time I played it was sometime early last year.

But regardless, I feel that DICE could do much better if they heard this from us. Heck, they are still working on this game, night as well listen to the fans who actually care.
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Well to put it bluntly, going to these forums and reading hundreds of whine titles is like cancer to the brain. Reddit is WAY cleaner, more organised and doesn't have noobs create dozens of threads about the same issues. Threads are organized based on popularity too so way easier to spot problems
  • So wait, is D2 that good now? Hmmm... last time I played it was sometime early last year.

But regardless, I feel that DICE could do much better if they heard this from us. Heck, they are still working on this game, night as well listen to the fans who actually care.

Depends on your opinion. The changes significantly boosted the population.

Agreed
    My name is Bob

• Well to put it bluntly, going to these forums and reading hundreds of whine titles is like cancer to the brain. Reddit is WAY cleaner, more organised and doesn't have noobs create dozens of threads about the same issues. Threads are organized based on popularity too so way easier to spot problems

They post non-substantive memes and video clips 24/7. Those are almost always the leading posts.
    My name is Bob

• TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Still better than all those out of touch wish threads on what to add, improve on, etc. People write essays and manuscripts here, thinking it's all in devs grasp to complete in the next patch or 2. I too was guilty of these things until I realised that devs are too few in numbers and they are struggling with just fixing bugs alone...
  • DarthJ
    6568 posts Member
    Still better than all those out of touch wish threads on what to add, improve on, etc. People write essays and manuscripts here, thinking it's all in devs grasp to complete in the next patch or 2. I too was guilty of these things until I realised that devs are too few in numbers and they are struggling with just fixing bugs alone...

Hate to admit it but you are right.

At the same time, just checked the Reddit (I rarely look at it and dont have an account). Other than the hotfix notes, there is literally nothing of any actual importance or anything worth reading there. I understand there are more users, but...I dont get it. Its useless
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DarthJ
    6568 posts Member
    Also, lately it seems to be a complete rarity for them to post in threads on here. Go through the first 2 pages of this forum and theres maybe like 4 things that the community team has commented on. I understand its a job that has more to it than that but still....
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • TheStalker88
    6084 posts Member
    edited March 6
    Reddit too is more popular and accessible to many and when the gamers are upset, can create a much bigger impact on other fans so the devs try to engage them more to keep things from going out of control in the rage department.
  • Still better than all those out of touch wish threads on what to add, improve on, etc. People write essays and manuscripts here, thinking it's all in devs grasp to complete in the next patch or 2. I too was guilty of these things until I realised that devs are too few in numbers and they are struggling with just fixing bugs alone...

Totally agree with you there. The wishlist thread s are very annoying. Some people have way too much time on their hands.
  • Still better than all those out of touch wish threads on what to add, improve on, etc. People write essays and manuscripts here, thinking it's all in devs grasp to complete in the next patch or 2. I too was guilty of these things until I realised that devs are too few in numbers and they are struggling with just fixing bugs alone...

Totally agree with you there. The wishlist thread s are very annoying. Some people have way too much time on their hands.

What do some people do there exactly?
  • IronSoldier
    3612 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    We had a topic about forums/vs reddit recently.

Both are used for feedback as well as other channels such as twitter, discord servers but most importantly.. ingame stats. What works well on one doesn't work so well on the other. The forum isn't ignored, I don't let the team get away with that ;)

Closing otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!