criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Why do people like Bothan Spies so much?

So I’m looking around for input on what infiltrators we should have for rebels, and there’s a lot f people saying we should have Bothian Spies. Sounds cool. I look it up.

I get THIS:
8wfwlk1cy9rc.jpeg

Uggh. Every day I get more disappointed with this community. Who cares if they were referenced in ONE LINE from Return of the Jedi?! I want some rebel units that actually look COOL! The current roster is a disaster. We should be getting Rebel infiltration units, not Lion-men.

0ksomavziyow.jpeg

Sorry if I made anyone mad, I just can’t see why anyone would want Bothian spies over Infiltration units.

Replies

• AzorAhai
    1362 posts Member
    Cause, get this, they got personal stealth cloaks that makes them utterly invisible and guns that literally disintegrate their enemies in the Original Battlefront 2.

...Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can hear the future screams of "nerf the Bothans!!!" Somewhere if this ever becomes a reality.

Meanwhile, I soon come to realize the most prominent Bothan in the franchise is an utterly terrible self-serving person who arguably led the New Republic of the old EU to its grave.

...Why do we want Bothans again?

Borsk Fey'lya redeemed himself a little in his manner of death.

I hated the guy, until the very end.
  • BoothStick
    625 posts Member
    edited March 18
    I think it's another case of "MemberBerries" for the Original SWBF(s)... a lot of requests in this forum are geared towards a longing to the old titles.cz7ei9h0ptsr.jpg

I'm a fan of Star Wars first, then the video games. The list of assets I'd like to see in this game is pretty long. Bothan's kind of at the bottom. A Good Mon Cal Regiment Skin would be awesome
    2xw4n6yemuni.png

Or just go to town with any of the commandos from Rogue One. Also DICE... my offer still stands... $30 and I will pay for this skin for a Rebel Soldier... if you make it... I will pay for it with real world money
    fqe6diegl7ja.png
  • Cause, get this, they got personal stealth cloaks that makes them utterly invisible and guns that literally disintegrate their enemies in the Original Battlefront 2.

...Yeah, I'm pretty sure we can hear the future screams of "nerf the Bothans!!!" Somewhere if this ever becomes a reality.

🙄
    Why does wanting them in this game, mean they have to LITERALLY be the same as a game from 14 years ago. I’m pretty sure Dice could add them to the game, include the incinerator rifle AND make it balanced within the parameters of this game.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Peepzilla
    951 posts Member
    edited March 18
    I'd also prefer to not have these guys running around the battlefield. To most fans this would be immersion breaking beyond anything else in the game - including cross-era heroes.

In no *main stream* Star Wars program do we see these lionmen scattered on a battlefield fighting along side rebels.

Rogue One has a plethora of badass troopers that could be implemented, alongside beautiful maps and intriguing heroes. That should be the focus for the next update.
  • Piscettios
    6005 posts Member
    edited March 18
    Peepzilla wrote: »
    I'd also prefer to not have these guys running around the battlefield. To most fans this would be immersion breaking beyond anything else in the game - including cross-era heroes.

In no *main stream* Star Wars program do we see these lionmen scattered on a battlefield fighting along side rebels.

Rogue One has a plethora of badass troopers that could be implemented, alongside beautiful maps and intriguing heroes. That should be the focus for the next update.

I can get with a Rogue One infiltrator, but having Bothans in the game doesn’t even come close to seeing Rey on Kamino.
    Post edited by Piscettios on
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Peepzilla wrote: »

Yeah as I and @Peepzilla said... how many epic "skins" are just waiting to be made from ROGUE ONE for Rebels... ??? Dozen?

Then if you want just look to TASK Force 99/SCAR Squad and get the Inperial Skins you need to counter it and make even more money...
    19baizfnvtjp.png

it's insane how much is out there for EA/DICE to capitalize on. Ugh breaks my heart at the potential in even the current "Canon" that is just sitting there to help this game make money... such a waste shame.
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    Cause, get this, they got personal stealth cloaks that makes them utterly invisible and guns that literally disintegrate their enemies in the Original Battlefront 2.

🙄
    Why does wanting them in this game, mean they have to LITERALLY be the same as a game from 14 years ago. I’m pretty sure Dice could add them to the game, include the incinerator rifle AND make it balanced within the parameters of this game.

Yay, got an eyeroll! :)

Well, we still gonna get a nerf thread still.
  • People are spending insane $$$ on their 134th Fortnite skin, or $20 for ONE SKIN on Apex that is just a different color of one they already have.

IMAGINE the revenue if they had a thriving store on this game, with all cosmetic items. They'd make a killing with the Star Wars fanbase, which would in turn hopefully keep more devs on this game past launch day, meaning more content and longevity to the game.

But instead they tried to go p2W with pure lootboxes and had to rebuild the game's progression system for an entire year. They just missed the mark completely with this game.

How long it takes them to get basic canon SW items "approved" for release or preview shows that this game is an absolute after-thought to EA, Lucasfilms, and Disney.
    People are spending insane $$$ on their 134th Fortnite skin, or $20 for ONE SKIN on Apex that is just a different color of one they already have.

IMAGINE the revenue if they had a thriving store on this game, with all cosmetic items. They'd make a killing with the Star Wars fanbase, which would in turn hopefully keep more devs on this game past launch day, meaning more content and longevity to the game.

But instead they tried to go p2W with pure lootboxes and had to rebuild the game's progression system for an entire year. They just missed the mark completely with this game.

How long it takes them to get basic canon SW items "approved" for release or preview shows that this game is an absolute after-thought to EA, Lucasfilms, and Disney.

Wow. That’s a really good point.

What makes me the most mad about this game is th poetential that it has. The cosmetic store you’re talking about would be PERFECT for this game, and that’s why games like Fortnite succeed and pay-to-win games fail: Because games that are pay to win make less and are looked down upon, whereas cosmetic cost games are high-held and profitable.

People would be much more willing to spend credits if there were more things to buy, because when you have a lot of stuff in the market, there’s no way a player can get them all with out grinding for a year straight.

• Because a lot of them d... ahh somebody said it already.

adios :wink:
  • WildSpace wrote: »
    It’s not about one line from RotJ. They had awesome stories from legends canon.

They were the spymasters of spymasters

People want to see the best infiltrators from the old canon return to current usage

Sorry, "legends canon" is an oxymoron.
    The only canon source for Bothans is their mention in ROTJ and their appearance in BF2. None of that EU garbage was ever canon.

I met Caroline Blakiston, the temptation to ask her to say the Bothan line was overwhelming. I resisted.
  • Many bothans died to deliver this post
  • How many bothans would die if a bothan could deliver us many bothans to die as?
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....

People want to see the best infiltrators from the old canon return to current usage

The only canon source for Bothans is their mention in ROTJ and their appearance in BF2. None of that EU garbage was ever canon.

I met Caroline Blakiston, the temptation to ask her to say the Bothan line was overwhelming. I resisted.

From a purist sense that’s true. There’s also some who say prequels are non-canon. Every book, comic, game, and cartoon until the Disney reset was canon. Every bit of expanded universe, no matter how cool or ridiculous. That whole series with Luke and Abeloth? Total garbage. But it was canon. Until Disney put it all in a duffle bag and called it all “Legends Canon” deeming it no longer in the current continuity.

Disney canon has struggled since its inception, and has pulled quite a bit from Legends for the best material. The old EU has been the lifeline for Disney to keep their new stories popular. “Our show is tanking? Put in that Thrawn dude from that old novel, that’ll get everybody pumped.”
    jar-jar-binks-dancing-gif-3.gif
  • because he was one of the few awesome things about such an annoyingly overrated game.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • Because nothing says infiltrator like an actual spy/infiltrator, it makes the most sense in that context.
  • It is just one of the many ideas for a spy class. Most of the rebellion went on covert missions, so there is a lot of options for a spy type class.
    “The force is with me and I am one with the force. I fear nothing because everything is as the Force wills it to be.” -Chirrut Imwe
  • Give us bothans or give us death
    I don't know what Battlefront II is.
    WildSpace wrote: »

From a purist sense that’s true. There’s also some who say prequels are non-canon. Every book, comic, game, and cartoon until the Disney reset was canon. Every bit of expanded universe, no matter how cool or ridiculous. That whole series with Luke and Abeloth? Total garbage. But it was canon. Until Disney put it all in a duffle bag and called it all “Legends Canon” deeming it no longer in the current continuity.

Disney canon has struggled since its inception, and has pulled quite a bit from Legends for the best material. The old EU has been the lifeline for Disney to keep their new stories popular. “Our show is tanking? Put in that Thrawn dude from that old novel, that’ll get everybody pumped.”

I still disagree. Lots of the EU conflicted with itself, and in any given situation, the word of Uncle George always took precedent. So if there's three books where Luke became a Sith or something, and Uncle George said "that wouldn't happen because Luke isn't like that", then those books ain't canon. The prequels ARE canon because they are George's creation - while he owned the franchise, his content trumped any other. When he sold it, he also lost the right to say what's definitive in the Star Wars universe.
    One of the reasons that Disney has made its new material popular is that they're very good at sorting the wheat from the chaff in the EU and understanding what has mainstream appeal, as opposed to "fanboy filler". Thrawn? He's wheat. Mara Jade? She's chaff. It's like that guy on this forum who is constantly banging on about wanting Pong Krell or Pogo Stik or whatever his name was to be a hero, with no understanding that 99% of the playerbase don't even understand who he is. He's the sort of person who considers all the crummy parts of the EU to be as good as A New Hope itself. Disney are the exact opposite. They will cut dead wood, and they understood that the existing EU was weak, didn't need to exist, and that almost everything good is to be found solely in the films and TV shows.

I still disagree. Lots of the EU conflicted with itself, and in any given situation, the word of Uncle George always took precedent. So if there's three books where Luke became a Sith or something, and Uncle George said "that wouldn't happen because Luke isn't like that", then those books ain't canon. The prequels ARE canon because they are George's creation - while he owned the franchise, his content trumped any other. When he sold it, he also lost the right to say what's definitive in the Star Wars universe.
    One of the reasons that Disney has made its new material popular is that they're very good at sorting the wheat from the chaff in the EU and understanding what has mainstream appeal, as opposed to "fanboy filler". Thrawn? He's wheat. Mara Jade? She's chaff. It's like that guy on this forum who is constantly banging on about wanting Pong Krell or Pogo Stik or whatever his name was to be a hero, with no understanding that 99% of the playerbase don't even understand who he is. He's the sort of person who considers all the crummy parts of the EU to be as good as A New Hope itself. Disney are the exact opposite. They will cut dead wood, and they understood that the existing EU was weak, didn't need to exist, and that almost everything good is to be found solely in the films and TV shows.

Yeah but then they put identity politics in the movies and it ruins everything.
  • DCDT
    168 posts Member
    Kylo Ren is basically Darth Ceadus aka the worst villain of the EU. Disney is not that good at picking parts to bring back.
  • DCDT wrote: »
    Kylo Ren is basically Darth Ceadus aka the worst villain of the EU. Disney is not that good at picking parts to bring back.

Nah, he's Kyp Durron during his early edgelord little genocide machine phase in those awful series of books that a far better author had to write one book to fix that crap.
    People are spending insane $$$ on their 134th Fortnite skin, or $20 for ONE SKIN on Apex that is just a different color of one they already have.

Wow. That’s a really good point.

What makes me the most mad about this game is th poetential that it has. The cosmetic store you’re talking about would be PERFECT for this game, and that’s why games like Fortnite succeed and pay-to-win games fail: Because games that are pay to win make less and are looked down upon, whereas cosmetic cost games are high-held and profitable.

People would be much more willing to spend credits if there were more things to buy, because when you have a lot of stuff in the market, there’s no way a player can get them all with out grinding for a year straight.

@F8RGE read this
    Make Maul great again.
  • Why do people like Bothans? Because they look like what would happen if you mixed Lion-O with Aslan, that's why.
    Totally badass!
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • I didn't know this many people were well versed on the EU ! Hats off to you all, those books kept me busy in the 90s
  • DCDT wrote: »

I don't know this Darth Ceadus, but Kylo Ren is a great character. Personally I always thought Kylo's look was ripped off Darth Revan (who is now considered proper canon). I have no issue with Disney picking something out of the EU that was crappy and turning it into something much better.
  • JMaster
    2249 posts Member
    They'd be new content.
    They'd be new Reinforcements.
    They'd be new Infiltrators.
    They'd be new ORIGINAL TRILOGY Infiltrators.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • bfloo
    15824 posts Member
    DCDT wrote: »

I don't know this Darth Ceadus, but Kylo Ren is a great character. Personally I always thought Kylo's look was ripped off Darth Revan (who is now considered proper canon). I have no issue with Disney picking something out of the EU that was crappy and turning it into something much better.

If only they cleaned up the old Imperial Remnant instead of bringing in the FO :'(
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• bfloo wrote: »

If only they cleaned up the old Imperial Remnant instead of bringing in the FO :'(
    I know. They had to go and make it it’s own new faction with a ***** sounding name and Hasbro looking stormtroopers with zero explanation. It was way better in the EU when it was the Remnant Moff warlords scrapping for what’s left occasionally to be united by powerful figures like Daala, Thrawn, and Carnor Jax.
  • JMaster wrote: »
    They'd be new content.
    They'd be new Reinforcements.
    They'd be new Infiltrators.
    They'd be new ORIGINAL TRILOGY Infiltrators.

I’m all for OT content, but if they look like THAT? No thanks.
  • bfloo
    15824 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

I know. They had to go and make it it’s own new faction with a **** sounding name and Hasbro looking stormtroopers with zero explanation. It was way better in the EU when it was the Remnant Moff warlords scrapping for what’s left occasionally to be united by powerful figures like Daala, Thrawn, and Carnor Jax.

It made so much more sense.

They could have even done something with the Vong invasion.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• ClavinNatas
    290 posts Member
    edited March 21
    If they are going to add an infiltrator to the OT it NEEDS to be bothan spies for rebels!

I know. They had to go and make it it’s own new faction with a **** sounding name and Hasbro looking stormtroopers with zero explanation. It was way better in the EU when it was the Remnant Moff warlords scrapping for what’s left occasionally to be united by powerful figures like Daala, Thrawn, and Carnor Jax.

It's even worse with what Dave Filoni ended up doing to Thrawn and Palleon.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

Gilad Pellaeon’s treatment was one of the single handed worst decisions I’ve seen yet in Disney canon. Mentally challenged level story telling
  • Smattonellus
    791 posts Member
    edited March 22
    The only thing i didn't enjoy in the EU was that almost everyone would come up with some sort of planet killer..... Hello, destroying planets it's boring and uninspirational, and the fact the emprah had clones and all that stuff, taking back villains from death is also boring and uninspirational, but then some stuff was good, Cade Skywalker was simply awesome.

Edit: And Vongs I didn't like the whole vongs thing, but they were still better than the FO IMO.
  • Empire_TW
    6532 posts Member
    Empire_TW wrote: »

Gilad Pellaeon’s treatment was one of the single handed worst decisions I’ve seen yet in Disney canon. Mentally challenged level story telling

A lot of EU disrespected with Rebels

Thrawn, the most iconic Imperial from the post Endor era of the EU is just hyperspaced away.

Palleon, the 2nd most iconic Imperial (imo) from post Endor era is just killed off like some side character.

Norgi Assasins who could fight off squads of stormtroopers and impressed Vader are apparently scared of wolves.

Nik Sant (though mostly just a joke character) is completely deleted so that one of Filoni's personal favorite characters could be in the OT.

Jacen Solo, was apparently "honored" by having his name used for some weird orange green haired kid. And it is possible that Filoni is gonna have Jacen Solo "live on" through this kid...

Really seems that this kind of stuff shouldn't have been touched at all.

Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.