criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

So, BFV Has a 2019 Roadmap and BFII Still Doesn't

Was hearing that they can't release a BFII roadmap because they aren't able to announce content for the next fiscal year until the new fiscal year starts, but then saw that BFV has a 2019 roadmap that doesn't reveal everything but does go as far as June and teases content in the fall.
So then what is it, DICE? Why no 2019 roadmap? Could it be that you have nothing, or that EA may not be continuing with this game and you're too afraid to tell everyone? Or is it that what you have isn't very much? Seems to me that if you had something subsantial set in stone like BFV clearly does you'd tell us.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Concepts
Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu

Replies

• Do you have to ask? lol BFV has gotten the priority over this game for over a year. I think this is EA knowing the ship has sailed with this game as far as big money goes, and wants all press and expectations centered around their latest microtransaction slot machines aka BFV, Apex, and Anthem.
  • Do you have to ask? lol BFV has gotten the priority over this game for over a year. I think this is EA knowing the ship has sailed with this game as far as big money goes, and wants all press and expectations centered around their latest microtransaction slot machines aka BFV, Apex, and Anthem.

It's rhetorical.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • Because BFV is a Dice game and they can do as they please?
    Because BFV is a newer game so will have a longer period of support (from now to EoL) than Battlefront?
    Because you haven't waited a little longer for the team to update the roadmap?

There will be content coming in the next few months. And there will be more news on that shortly. Right now however the focus is on the new game mode, releasing it and then what comes next....

Lol the focus needs to be on game balancing
  • They’re not making money off of this game. 1. They don’t make enough skins to make money and 2. The game is usually on sale for $7 - $10. It would literally cost them money to pour resources into Battlefront 2. Brutal, but that’s the reality of it.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • If it wasn't already obvious to everyone before that all their longterm content plans for this were shelved when the lootboxes were forced out (and rightfully so), then it should be now. Everything they have added the last 6 months was enough content to constitute a single DLC expansion like they used to do and was probably already in the works since before the game launched. If you are still expecting content updates with new heroes, maps, weapons, etc after next week you're gonna be disappointed. They spread it thin to make it look like they were fulfilling their promises of free expansions and continued support to save face on the whole debacle, but they clearly aren't and had no intention to without their greedy little microtransaction scam.

Exactly, people don’t realize that the game died when the microtransactions went away after launch. And then they even try to defend the microtransactions not realizing that EA was just trying to scam gamers. Sure if microtransactions had stayed, we probably would have gotten more content, but then EA would realize that is gamers are stupid enough to fall for their scame and would implement their p2w system into every other game franchise that they owned. Honestly there just is no winning with EA publishing Battlefront. The 2015 Battlefront released with the most pathetic amount of launch content that I have ever seen in my life and then they had the audacity to charge an extra $50 to get the season pass so that I could get the complete game in 2 years time. Then Battlefront 2 came and while everything looked to be better, EA was relying on their scam to fund the live service.
  • IronSoldier
    3848 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    DarthJ wrote: »
    No offence, but even at this stage of the BF2 cycle compared to BFV we had nothing. This was the great 'silence before solo season' part.

And we are almost into April waiting for a 2019 roadmap. Patience has been given for 3 and a bit years (including BF15) and has got us nowhere. Only so many times before soon starts to grate on everyone.

Times have changed. This time last year we had just had a community manager swap and getting out of the winter lul in a sense after the initial drama. I even came out of retirement to do some forum modding again :D With each game the studio do they learn and how future plans are communicated is affected too.

There's also likely certain stuff related to future plans after end of fiscal year and laws in the US on what you can announce for the following year. However, i'm extremely tired, don't know it well enough and would need to confirm with the team before saying anything for certain. Just throwing it out there.
  • Ppong_Man12
    2841 posts Member
    edited March 23
    Because BFV is a Dice game and they can do as they please?
    Because BFV is a newer game so will have a longer period of support (from now to EoL) than Battlefront?

There will be content coming in the next few months. And there will be more news on that shortly. Right now however the focus is on the new game mode, releasing it and then what comes next....

Beat me to it.

Informative read.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/1/30/18203484/star-wars-games-licensed-disney-cancelled-ea
  • Because BFV is a Dice game and they can do as they please?

If they can "do as they please" then why do we keep hearing this excuse about "fiscal years"? If it doesn't affect BFV, it shouldn't affect BFII. Even if there might be some potentially "spoilery" content that Disney don't want revealed, there's surely other content like maps, heroes, etc, that aren't spoilers for future Disney productions that DICE can show.
    BFV being a newer game doesn't matter when roadmaps keep getting promised, this "fiscal year" excuse keeps cropping up, and then they go ahead and release a roadmap for their other game. A roadmap has been promised for some time, and if BFV can deliver one before the end of the fiscal year, then so too can BFII.
    This whole things just seems like gaslighting; keeping peoples hopes alive when the truth is that the team are uncertain about whether or not new content will be approved by the higher-ups and are stalling for time. If that's the case then they obviously can't say, but if it's not and new content has been approved by all relevant parties, then I see no reason why they can't release a roadmap.
    My Concepts
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    No offence, but even at this stage of the BF2 cycle compared to BFV we had nothing. This was the great 'silence before solo season' part.

And we are almost into April waiting for a 2019 roadmap. Patience has been given for 3 and a bit years (including BF15) and has got us nowhere. Only so many times before soon starts to grate on everyone.

There's also likely certain stuff related to future plans after end of fiscal year and laws in the US on what you can announce for the following year.

Clearly not since BFV released a roadmap. I don't see this excuse as being valid anymore after this.
    My Concepts
  • Zirius
    366 posts Member
    edited March 23
    Because BFV is a Dice game and they can do as they please?

What content dude? 2-3 maps in more than an year, some skins, 2 reinforcements, few heroes and a mode? In more than an year? Dam so much. Content coming? What? Few skins? We won't get *****, stop kidding yourself. More maps at the very least for the new mode, it desperately needs more lol, after waiting 9 months of "working" on it, we get a pretty poor mode by what we read in the CT, with one map. Biggest mode of BF2, with one map. After 9 months. It's... Can't even describe in words. Absolutely disgraceful.
    Very nice battlefield receive attention, as always, and battlefront is left in the dust. Because of the money for sure, I know, but they're damn lazy they don't even want to release skins in BF2 and ppl would pay for them, so that would be a source of money.
  • TheScape
    2309 posts Member

There's also likely certain stuff related to future plans after end of fiscal year and laws in the US on what you can announce for the following year.

Clearly not since BFV released a roadmap. I don't see this excuse as being valid anymore after this.

The only reason I can see is... Lucasfilm and Disney have 0 involvement on BFV.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • DarthJ
    6840 posts Member
    Zirius wrote: »
    Very nice battlefield receive attention, as always, and battlefront is left in the dust.

A game that launched 5 months ago vs 1 year 5 months will have more devs.. It's a natural part of any software/game's life cycle. The same happened with Battlefield 1 when Battlefront II dropped. Sure there are exceptions such as Rainbow Six Siege but it's generally how it works. More devs means more content. Though that is not to be confused with lack of devs.

Not really. Most games tend to keep a decent amount of devs on for post launch content, at least for a decent amount of time. The exodus for this started pretty much straight after launch from what we seen via Twitter etc
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • DCDT
    177 posts Member
    Maybe something will be promised during Star Wars celebration (April 13th). If not, then we can call this game dead.
  • DCDT wrote: »
    Maybe something will be promised during Star Wars celebration (April 13th). If not, then we can call this game dead.

They've worked on a mode for way over 9 months, yet could only achieve one era and one map for said mode.

If that's not dead, then idk what is.
  • TheScape wrote: »

So? Just because they have obvious involvement in BFII shouldn't stop DICE from releasing a roadmap of approved, non-spoiler content unless Disney and Lucasfilm are stopping them from revealing even that much. In which case, it's their fault why we don't have a roadmap and the "fiscal year" stuff is a flat-out lie, and DICE should own up to that rather than continue lying to people.
    My Concepts
  • Zirius wrote: »
    Very nice battlefield receive attention, as always, and battlefront is left in the dust.

A game that launched 5 months ago vs 1 year 5 months will have more devs.. It's a natural part of any software/game's life cycle. The same happened with Battlefield 1 when Battlefront II dropped. Sure there are exceptions such as Rainbow Six Siege but it's generally how it works. More devs means more content. Though that is not to be confused with lack of devs.

Battlefield 1 launched in 2016, 11 months after BF2015 same as BFV, yet BF2015 still managed to produce 8 heroes, 22 maps, 5 brand new game modes, 8 weapons, 9 star cards, and a few hero skins from November 2015 to December 2016, whereas BFII managed to produce 6 maps, 4 heroes, 3 brand new game modes, 2 re-skin game modes, no weapons, no star cards, and several hero and infantry skins from November 2017 to December 2018.
    Somehow BF2015 didn't suffer from the new game having "more devs" because it still produced far more meaningful content than this game did in the same time period. If BF2015 had devs moved over to help with BF1, it sure as heck didn't show in the quality of content we received for that game compared to how it's blatantly obvious how this game has suffered by having devs moved over to BFV.
    The excuses for this shambles are honestly getting worse.
    My Concepts
  • DCDT wrote: »

They've worked on a mode for way over 9 months, yet could only achieve one era and one map for said mode.

If that's not dead, then idk what is.

3 of the 4 new game modes of the BF2015 Season Pass had 4 maps and the Battle Station mode had 5.
    Let that sink in.
    My Concepts
  • TheScape
    2309 posts Member
    TheScape wrote: »

So? Just because they have obvious involvement in BFII shouldn't stop DICE from releasing a roadmap of approved, non-spoiler content unless Disney and Lucasfilm are stopping them from revealing even that much. In which case, it's their fault why we don't have a roadmap and the "fiscal year" stuff is a flat-out lie, and DICE should own up to that rather than continue lying to people.

What I meant is yes, it might be Disney and Lucasfilm's fault and they might be the ones that are worried about the "fiscal year" stuff. I am not saying that it is a good reason or excuse, I am just saying that is the only way for that excuse to make any kind of sense.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • We’ve got all forms of people making excuses for this embarrassing lack of content! Too rich.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • Zirius wrote: »

Okay, first off, thanks for the responses in this thread. These kinds of responses should be a regular type of thing. Maybe make an "open forum" time that for 1 hour, once per week, Devs and Moderators make themselves available for Q&A. That could really help bridge the communication gap.

With that said, I would love if you could please elaborate on the "US Laws" that prohibit roadmaps for Battlefront but seemingly don't apply to other games out there. Maybe if we understand the rules you guys have working against you, we can more easily support you vs ticking you off out of frustration and impatience. Just a thought.

Also, the "lack of Devs" due to the age of the game doesn't seem right to me. Here's why. The game launched incomplete. This is not debatable. This is fact. When players had early access to the Loot Crate system before the official launch, and complete hell broke loose, it forced Disney to step in and killswitched the game's revenue plan. And whether or not that forced the Dev team to immediately leave or not doesn't matter. Because EVERYONE working on the game for the 4+ months after launch had to literally remake the game (progression system). And my guess, Dev resources at that point were stripped bare just based on the trickled content since.

The Solo content was a little underwhelming. Would have been much better with a Galactic Assault map included but whatever.

Since launch, it appears that the limited Dev team has been solely focused on adding non-essential content to an incomplete game.

Non-essential content: Skins & heroes and of course the whacky events.

Incomplete game: 2 Extraction maps, 3 JPC maps, 1 hunt map, lack of hero modes, lack of trooper modes, lack of replayability.

Then we're given "hope" for a new large scale mode. Now we're being told that iconic Heroes like Luke and Han aren't even playable. The obvious decision in this spot would have been to make Galactic Assault era locked to two heroes (without Anakin in OT) and limit the heroes to 2. Then sandbox the new mode. Then once enough maps are added to the new mode and a couple of ST DS villians, we can consider switching Galactic Assault back to sandbox and era lock the new mode then.

I mean, do you guys want me to send you my resume? I will gladly sit down and interview for a position. I have 7+ years of retail management experience, 30+ years of gaming, a deep passion for Star Wars and my super powers include creativity, empathy and the ability to work well with others. Would love to assist in making Battlefront great again.

PM me if interested.