criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Community Transmission - Lightsaber Combat

Prev1345
F8RGE
939 posts EA Community Manager
edited March 25
0lennot62daz.png
INCOMING TRANSMISSION

With the arrival of the next update we will be making the first of some changes that we have planned with lightsaber combat. For this update we’re going to be focusing more on the stamina system and how that affects the overall feeling and flow of close combat.

STAGGER CHANGES

One of the most visible changes to lightsaber combat is going to come in the form of the removal of the stagger for attacking heroes. In the current version of the game when a hero attacks a blocking hero, the attacker will stagger backwards.

We’ve seen feedback that this is not desired, and we agree. We feel this breaks the flow of lightsaber combat which is usually free flowing. With this change attacking heroes will no longer stagger backwards upon hitting a blocking hero, meaning they can continue to chain attacks until they run out of stamina.

Attacking with a lightsaber depletes a hero’s stamina and once this reaches zero the attacker will not be able to perform any attacks until their stamina regenerates. As a result of this, attacking will now be a lot more strategic as you will be unable to run up to someone and continuously swing your lightsaber. Instead, you will need to think more about utilising your other abilities alongside lightsaber attacks.

As well as this, blocking with a lightsaber also reduces a hero’s stamina. Meaning that nobody will be able to block indefinitely.

While all heroes have had changes made to their Stamina values, we’ve also made some additional changes to Darth Maul, Rey and Darth Vader.

Darth Maul’s attacks will now have a stamina cost associated with them. We will also be adjusting the unlimited stamina abilities of both Rey (Insight) and Darth Vader (Focused Rage). These now give a 50% reduction to stamina costs.

STAMINA OVERVIEW

As part of the changes we’re adjusting the stamina values for every lightsaber wielding hero in the game. The Stamina system is broken down into six separate categories:

Melee Cost
  • This is the amount of stamina required for each swing of the lightsaber.

Blaster Deflect Cost
  • How much stamina is reduced with the deflection of each blaster shot.

Melee Deflect Cost
  • The amount of stamina, per lightsaber hit that is reduced.

Regen Delay
  • How many seconds before stamina regeneration begins to occur.

Regen Speed
  • The speed in which stamina regenerates.

Deflect Spread
  • The angle in which lightsaber heroes can deflect blaster fire.

Overview
Stamina is reduced when:

Defending
  • A hero blocks a lightsaber attack with their own lightsaber
  • A hero blocks blaster fire with their lightsaber

When a hero is out of stamina:

Attacking
  • A hero can no longer attack if they have no stamina, they must wait for it to recharge

Blocking
  • A hero can no longer block efficiently. Any hero that gets hit by an attack that brings their stamina to 0 receives full damage and is caused to stagger

HERO STAMINA BREAKDOWN

q1aragk604n2.png

Luke Skywalker
  • Melee Attacks: 10
  • Blaster Deflect Amount: 25
  • Melee Deflect Amount: 10
  • Regen Delay (sec): 1
  • Regen Speed (sec from empty): 3
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 0.45

Darth Vader
  • Melee Attacks: 8
  • Blaster Deflect Amount: 46
  • Melee Deflect Amount: 14
  • Regen Delay (sec): 3
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 0.2

Yoda
  • Melee Attacks: 12
  • Regen Speed (sec from empty): 2.10
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 0

Kylo Ren
  • Melee Attacks: 14
  • Regen Delay (sec): 2

General Grievous
  • Blaster Deflect Amount: 5
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 20

Darth Maul
  • Blaster Deflect Amount: 18

Rey
  • Regen Speed (sec from empty): 1.65

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Melee Deflect Amount: 25
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 0.2

Anakin Skywalker
  • Blaster Deflect Amount: 31
  • Regen Speed (sec from empty): 1.65
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 0.3

Count Dooku
  • Deflect Spread (angle multiplier): 045

LIGHTSABER OVERVIEW

Each lightsaber hero also has their own set of values and these can be broken down as per the below.

72grug4t87cs.png

Anakin Skywalker
  • Base damage: 140
  • Max damage: 165
  • From behind: 40
  • Max from behind: 40

Luke Skywalker
  • Base damage: 120
  • Max damage: 120
  • From behind: 30
  • Max from behind: 30

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • Base damage: 130
  • Max damage: 130
  • From behind: 20
  • Max from behind: 20

Rey
  • Max damage: 130
  • From behind: 20
  • Max from behind: 20

Yoda
  • Base damage: 125
  • Max damage: 139
  • From behind: 25
  • Max from behind: 25

Darth Vader
  • Max damage: 145

Darth Maul
  • Max damage: 120

Count Dooku
  • Max damage: 175
  • Max from behind: 55

Kylo Ren
  • Base damage: 125
  • Max damage: 145
  • From behind: 40
  • Max from behind: 40

General Grievous
  • Max damage: 160

The next update comes out tomorrow, on March 26th. Alongside these lightsaber combat changes it will also bring two brand new Reinforcements, the ARC Trooper and the BX Commando Droid. The long-awaited Capital Supremacy game mode will also be releasing within the same update.
Post edited by F8RGE on

Replies

• What is the max amount of stamina you start out with?
  • Looks pretty nice
    I'm the sarlacc that ate Boba Fett. I wish I hadn't because he was a favorite by many fans and an underdeveloped character.

Join the ongoing demand for Private Matches/Servers below!

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/130482/private-servers#latest
  • It's a start. Keep it coming.
    Add Jyn Erso as a HERO!
  • Nice. I have a question... will you guys ever make arcade better?????

This
  • So wait darth maul can block now?
  • @F8RGE it looks nice, I have two questions though. The first is how much total stamina does each hero/villain have? And the other is is the CT video gonna be released tonight, and show off these fixes, or will it only highlight the game mode
  • Does this mean that Anakin can ohk normal troopers with his extra damage star card equipped?
    Bring back Extraction to the main menu please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Episode IX
    “Season” 5: Rogue One
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    Updated the stamina values as they were slightly out of date. Now updated.

Any plans to look at saber stun/lock?

"After being hit by a Lightsaber, players will not be able to be staggered by a Lightsaber attack for 0.8 seconds."

From the actual patchnotes.
  • What is the deflect spread angle? I see Yoda's is 0, I'm assuming this mean he still absorbs blaster fire. I also see he has a melee (saber) deflect value of 10, as does Maul. So it looks like they're both getting a saber block finally! Obi-Wan really looking like the defensive master in these charts as well, hopefully block doesn't break from random abilities though.
  • well time for me to start playing more blaster heroes.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • Nice work devs! I'm excited to see how this plays out in game!
  • BucksawBoushh
    5712 posts Member
    edited March 25
    GreenMarc wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »

"After being hit by a Lightsaber, players will not be able to be staggered by a Lightsaber attack for 0.8 seconds."

“Stagger” and stun lock are two completely different things.

If I’m misunderstanding the “actual” patchnotes, then whoopsie, but I see nothing on saber stun.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • GreenMarc wrote: »

If I’m misunderstanding the “actual” patchnotes, then whoopsie, but I see nothing on saber stun.

The stagger from hitting a blocking lightsaber hero is mentioned in another point, so I understood it as a short invincibility to the stunlocking when a saber hero keeps hitting the attack button on you.

The stagger from hitting a blocking lightsaber hero is mentioned in another point, so I understood it as a short invincibility to the stunlocking when a saber hero keeps hitting the attack button on you.

Seems stunlocking is still in... perfect...
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • Please oh please let this mean you are giving maul a block???

Yea brother we did it. S/o to that one dude with the nice manners & the gentlemen Avatar he was a nice fellow too.
    Make Maul great again.
  • Setrhy
    21 posts Member
    GIVE ME MY LIGHTSABER!

NOW! it's between you and me, the battles of luck disappeared...

giphy.gif

P. D. - Good Job! :)
    General Grievous...
    e6ea0d2d213297d6ea9af6ede78a43648142af7e_00.gif

• What the what?! Tell me these charts are all wrong. Per the descriptions:

"Blaster Deflect Cost
    How much stamina is reduced with the deflection of each blaster shot.

Melee Deflect Cost
    The amount of stamina, per lightsaber hit that is reduced."

Then, I see the chart, showing the supreme defensive Jedi, Obi-wan, as having the highest values!

q1aragk604n2.png

Am I misinterpreting something here? Someone correct me, if so, because this seems back-azzward.

None of the values listed seem appropriate. Dooku, who is supposed to lack blaster deflecting prowess, uses about half the stamina of Obi to deflect blaster shots. Ummm. No.
  • CloudWalker
    430 posts Member
    edited March 25
    master-kenobi-you.jpg

Can we have the maximum stamina on each hero?
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • Deckard112 wrote: »
    YESSSS

YESSSS

MAUL CAN BLOCK

THANK U @F8RGE I CAN FINALLY GET OUT OF THIS FORUM AND ENJOY THE GAME AGAIN

There is no talk of him being able to block

he can already block when using the roll thing, if timed well he blocks.
  • Looks really good, nice work guys. Nice to see the weaker saber heroes get more damage as well. Looks like Yoda and Maul are getting full blocks as well, very nice.
  • Deckard112 wrote: »
    YESSSS

YESSSS

MAUL CAN BLOCK

Where did they write that Maul will be able to block?
    Omniscient wrote: »
    What the what?! Tell me these charts are all wrong. Per the descriptions:

"Blaster Deflect Cost

Melee Deflect Cost

Then, I see the chart, showing the supreme defensive Jedi, Obi-wan, as having the highest values!

q1aragk604n2.png

Am I misinterpreting something here? Someone correct me, if so, because this seems back-azzward.

None of the values listed seem appropriate. Dooku, who is supposed to lack blaster deflecting prowess, uses about half the stamina of Obi to deflect blaster shots. Ummm. No.

That means Obi-Wan can deflect 46 blaster shots until his stamina is drained.

Surely that cannot be correct. The chart is labeled as Hero Stamina Breakdown. If what you stated is correct, then they did a poor job of elucidating that fact.

Also, if this be the case, I guess the value of the damage means nothing. A block, is a block, is a block, and drains an equal amount of stamina. A slap in the face is equivalent to a joust to the chest.
  • TheScape
    2309 posts Member
    edited March 25
    Omniscient wrote: »
    What the what?! Tell me these charts are all wrong. Per the descriptions:

"Blaster Deflect Cost

Melee Deflect Cost

q1aragk604n2.png

You are reading it backwards. The table represents the number of hits you can perform, number of hits you can block, numbers of shots you can deflect, etc. The real stamina values are listed as text. They were written on text before Ben edited them.

After reading it twice, I believe you are right. It sounds like the short invulnerability to stun after being affected. It looks like now HvV could be back to being more strategic.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • ZephanUnbound
    3083 posts Member
    edited March 25
    Deckard112 wrote: »
    YESSSS

YESSSS

MAUL CAN BLOCK

Where did they write that Maul will be able to block?

Maul
    • Blaster Deflect Amount: 18

Looks like Yoda now has a saber block as well, as it says that Yoda can block 10 saber strikes.
  • Wonder if the increased stamina star cards will have a place in this game now. Also Grievous will get slaughtered by these stamina changes.
  • Wonder if the increased stamina star cards will have a place in this game now. Also Grievous will get slaughtered by these stamina changes.

Yeah, Grievous' damage increase star card will be a bad pick now for sure since it causes him to use more stamina, will be better to run with his base 130 damage rather than wasting a ton of stamina to get an extra 30 damage per swing. Will be better to buff his thrust surge damage now I think, alongside health regen stuff.
  • Now, about Palpatine getting his block back...
  • Maul can deflect now??

Yeah the update is a little confusing it seems to suggest that Maul gets standard lightsaber block that can block both lightsabers and blasters......without explicitly stating he gets a block. This would be amazing and what a lot of people including myself now think maul needs to be a suitable character with Anakin & all the mindtricks in the game.

It also seems to imply that yoda gets to block lightsabers now too. Both characters have a melee deflect cost now, but could never deflect melee in the first place.

@F8RGE could you clear this up and tell us if Maul and yoda are getting lightsaber blocks??????

From the data it appears that yoda will also keep the same blaster block and absorb that blaster fire like he use to do, but then when it comes to lightsaber he will do some other animation that will block lightsaber attacks and deplete his stamina.
  • Based on the values and my reading comprehension skills (I could be reading this wrongly), attackers will lose stamina more slowly than defenders. If an opponent has used up force abilities, seems like no drawback to spamming lightsaber attack as they can't block as long as you can attack.
  • General Grievous seems a bit unbalanced. Please improve his abilities. And he needs to deal more damage imo. Look at his deflect numbers. Too low.
  • WOOT!! No more immersion breaking stagger!
This discussion has been closed.