criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Conquest, conquest, conquest!

Prev1
Is it that hard to see this would have been the best path to success?

Ever since Dice got the nod to reboot the Battlefront franchise, this was all I (and everyone else I played Battlefield with) wanted. Seemed like a no brainer. But for some reason they think they’ll step on their own toes? Is that it? Star Wars fans and the more casual players wouldn’t be able to adapt and play a more complex and large scale open mode?

Now we’re stuck with a new mode with one map after waiting over 9 months and multiple delays for it to come. It’s now being led down the path with AI trooper and transports...face meet palm. This new mode won’t work on all the available large maps, so out the box it’s going to be limited in the direction it can go. They keep trying to reinvent the wheel with these variations and offshoots, when they invented the wheel and did it great in the first place!

At this point I hope this game dies soon and they rethink their strategy if a third installment is to come. If TRADITIONAL CONQUEST isn’t added as the marquee mode at launch, no buy from me.
Knights of Gareth
XBL- JsOnMyFett 13

Replies

• I think the new mode sounds cool, but they should have added standard conquest like the classics. I agree that should have been a no brainer. Also they need to add more maps ASAP, it's embarrassing how they add 1 map in 9 months. WTF are they doing, I don't care how hard the programing is or whatever, 9 months is plenty of time for at least 3 or more maps. I know because other games have done it! Even Battlefield!
  • It has become abundantly clear to me that the DICE who created Battlefield and invented Titan mode no longer exists at all. It has been admittedly a much more subtle transformation than Bioware's from the people who made Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect to the people responsible for Dragon Age 2, Inquisition, Andromeda, and Anthem. But it is no less tragic.

I now fully understand what they meant a few years ago when they said they won't make a Bad Company 3 because they don't know what people liked about Bad Company 2. They just genuinely have no idea how to make games like that anymore, in the style of shooter they pioneered no less. And that is one of the most depressing realizations I've come to in a while.

The direction they have taken both Battlefield and Battlefront franchises has backed them into a development corner so to speak that they clearly don't know how to get out of. I suspect that this is in part due to the limitations of the Frostbite engine, but not entirely. I long for a return to Battlefield 3 and 4's style of open ended gameplay, yet they can't even seem to figure out how to put vehicles on the map anymore or how to make maps that aren't a linear corridor. Space battles in og Battlefront 2 and Titan Mode from Battlefield 2142 didn't have any cutscenes. It was a sandbox of war and it left the job of flying your team up to the enemy ship when the time came to the players. And if it hadn't been that, no one would still look back on it fondly and clamor for it to return. What the hell happened?

xsxkvneqpauo.gif

Battlefield 3: the pinnacle.

All they basically had to do was spread a layer of Star Wars over it. Solid gold
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • It has become abundantly clear to me that the DICE who created Battlefield and invented Titan mode no longer exists at all. It has been admittedly a much more subtle transformation than Bioware's from the people who made Baldur's Gate, KotOR, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect to the people responsible for Dragon Age 2, Inquisition, Andromeda, and Anthem. But it is no less tragic.

I now fully understand what they meant a few years ago when they said they won't make a Bad Company 3 because they don't know what people liked about Bad Company 2. They just genuinely have no idea how to make games like that anymore, in the style of shooter they pioneered no less. And that is one of the most depressing realizations I've come to in a while.

The direction they have taken both Battlefield and Battlefront franchises has backed them into a development corner so to speak that they clearly don't know how to get out of. I suspect that this is in part due to the limitations of the Frostbite engine, but not entirely. I long for a return to Battlefield 3 and 4's style of open ended gameplay, yet they can't even seem to figure out how to put vehicles on the map anymore or how to make maps that aren't a linear corridor. Space battles in og Battlefront 2 and Titan Mode from Battlefield 2142 didn't have any cutscenes. It was a sandbox of war and it left the job of flying your team up to the enemy ship when the time came to the players. And if it hadn't been that, no one would still look back on it fondly and clamor for it to return. What the hell happened?

I was thinking exactly the same things. It's clear this is not the same DICE anymore. I haven't even bought the last two Battlefield games because Battlefield 4 is a vastly superior Battlefield experience. It's not even close.

I don't believe it's a limitation of Frostbite. I think it's a total shift in the development philosophy. They don't appear to even be trying to capture the original gameplay formulas of either Battlefield or Battlefront. Looking again at Battlefield 4, Carrier Assault in Battlefield 4 is far superior to this game mode. It's 64 players, vehicles all over the map, battles taking place simultaneously at the capture points and on the carriers, etc.
  • 100% agree, OP. Conquest should have been in the game at launch, and had better be the launch game mode of Battlefront 3. Otherwise, I won't buy it either.
  • Not judging the mode and I’m happy we’re getting something, although having ai is a little disturbing in a MP game. Again this is why I’m ready for a bf3 ASAP with hopefully more new money and resources for bigger and better things.

And for gosh sakes please get an identity of what battlefront is supposed to be, a shooter, a Starwars overwatch hero game, an rpg and offline game, space battles flying ships, a cod type game, a battlefield do over, or a unique play style that is different from the masses game type mechanic that you had absolutely perfected in bf15 imo.
  • And for gosh sakes please get an identity of what battlefront is supposed to be, a shooter, a Starwars overwatch hero game, an rpg and offline game, space battles flying ships, a cod type game, a battlefield do over, or a unique play style that is different from the masses game type mechanic that you had absolutely perfected in bf15 imo.

A very good point.

This game tried to be too many things and in turn, spread itself thin... on content and quality.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • @F8RGE

All you had to do was leave the capital ships out. IMHO. Everything else is perfect. Except add all the maps for conquest. Can you pass that up to the hire ups?

Other than that this game mode just may bring me back till I get over saturated with the same map. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
  • KLATZ55
    125 posts Member
    This semi-linear gamemode sounds boring to me, plus it's only on 1 map. I just want proper conquest, but I guess only the casual crowd matters. I won't be surprised to see only 3 capture points on Geonosis. It will be too boring and too long for them to walk on the battlefield and capture points. That's the reason why Call of duty was always outselling Battlefield.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    JUST EMBARRASING (when they can't even make something a 6 year game, Bf4 and a 14 year game, battlefront 2 did)

uyjlxk2zxon21.png

Always loved flying the LAAT in the original battlefront as a jet trooper and doing airborne jumps... Playing bf4 I always took me back to that kind f gameplay just much bigger and better looking.
  • SWymsa wrote: »
    JUST EMBARRASING (when they can't even make something a 6 year game, Bf4 and a 14 year game, battlefront 2 did)

uyjlxk2zxon21.png

Always loved flying the LAAT in the original battlefront as a jet trooper and doing airborne jumps... Playing bf4 I always took me back to that kind f gameplay just much bigger and better looking.

You just gave me a sad.
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • DarthJ wrote: »
    Again this is why I’m ready for a bf3 ASAP with hopefully more new money and resources for bigger and better things.

I don't. They have struggled twice now and its 99.9% likely that the same would happen a 3rd time around. Couple weeks after launch you will hear almost the entire dev team has been shifted to a battlefield release etc. I am not doing this again

It's still confusing to me dude. Disney is separating from Electronic Arts and Electronic Arts might dissolve dice. And yet people are talking about the next game as if things are going to get better..

• tankertoad wrote: »
    DarthJ wrote: »
    Again this is why I’m ready for a bf3 ASAP with hopefully more new money and resources for bigger and better things.

I don't. They have struggled twice now and its 99.9% likely that the same would happen a 3rd time around. Couple weeks after launch you will hear almost the entire dev team has been shifted to a battlefield release etc. I am not doing this again

It's still confusing to me dude. Disney is separating from Electronic Arts and Electronic Arts might dissolve dice. And yet people are talking about the next game as if things are going to get better..

At this point, if a third installment does come there’s zero chance I buy at launch and conquest is a must. I’ll sit on the sidelines and observe for a good while. maybe grab it down the road for cheap if there’s a solid cargo-esque mode.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    tankertoad wrote: »

At this point, if a third installment does come there’s zero chance I buy at launch and conquest is a must. I’ll sit on the sidelines and observe for a good while. maybe grab it down the road for cheap if there’s a solid cargo-esque mode.

Thanks to EA/Dice:

Unless it says Horizon zero Dawn or cyberpunk 2077, I will never pre-order anything again. And, I will wait for reviews on everything. 3 days after release, if it's a game I'm interested in it, and has great reviews, and my friends say it's good, then I might buy it at full price.

I have discovered that buying games six months after release is the best way to go. You can save as much as 50%, get a patched game, and you'll know if it's something you really want or just getting caught in the hype.

• TheScape
    1944 posts Member

Same here. Unless I see something really impressive, with all the content from both Battlefronts, support for starfighters and a decent ground to air mode... I am not buying any other Battlefront. I am done.
    May your heart be your guiding key.

• TheScape wrote: »

Same here. Unless I see something really impressive, with all the content from both Battlefronts, support for starfighters and a decent ground to air mode... I am not buying any other Battlefront. I am done.
    Piscettios wrote: »

Thanks to EA/Dice:

Unless it says Horizon zero Dawn or cyberpunk 2077, I will never pre-order anything again. And, I will wait for reviews on everything. 3 days after release, if it's a game I'm interested in it, and has great reviews, and my friends say it's good, then I might buy it at full price.

I have discovered that buying games six months after release is the best way to go. You can save as much as 50%, get a patched game, and you'll know if it's something you really want or just getting caught in the hype.

I was already weary and cautious about anything EA/Dice drops in the future. Today’s announcement solidified that for good.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • tankertoad wrote: »

Thanks to EA/Dice:

If it's a third party game, then yes. If it has "games as service" anywhere in the marketing, then yes. "Games as service" has become a catch all excuse for releasing an unfinished game that will take 6-12 months of updates to complete.

First party exclusives are the day one buys. People are realizing this with Sony and Nintendo. Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-man, Shadow of Colossus, Last of Us, Uncharted, Legend of Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and more have all been top quality day one. They need these first party games to be high quality right out of the gate because they are also invested in selling hardware.

Microsoft seems to have realized the same after leaning toward being a service. They have been buying up studios to make games for the next Xbox. You can bet Gears 5 will be high quality, and Halo Infinite seems to be them preparing to do a reinvention of the series similar to God of War.
  • Yeah, what y'all said. Plus sorry respawn ent. I will wait 3 to 4 weeks after their star wars game comes out just because of these 2 battlefronts has given me a bad taste in my mouth. Any thing found under EA's banner is mostly a no sale no play.
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    Yeah, what y'all said. Plus sorry respawn ent. I will wait 3 to 4 weeks after their star wars game comes out just because of these 2 battlefronts has given me a bad taste in my mouth. Any thing found under EA's banner is mostly a no sale no play.

Respawn to me is the exception. They are recent acquisitions. Apex Legends was high quality at launch, and held up under extreme immediate player counts. I'm not a fan of BR, but Apex was fun to just mess around with for a few weeks with all the mechanics and the excellent map design. Titanfall 2 is imo the best shooter of this current console generation. It had a lot of content at launch, including the best single player I've played for a shooter.

I fully expect to be getting Jedi Fallen Order day one. Its also a single player game, so that alone avoids all the "game as service" nonsense.
  • SWymsa
    823 posts Member
    edited March 22
    I would have preferred some hard-core coop maps/missions/modes/scenarios than the entire PvP experience of this game tbh
  • KlownShueS wrote: »
    Yeah, what y'all said. Plus sorry respawn ent. I will wait 3 to 4 weeks after their star wars game comes out just because of these 2 battlefronts has given me a bad taste in my mouth. Any thing found under EA's banner is mostly a no sale no play.

Of just get it used after a few weeks... no dough for EA 👌🏻
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Imagine 32v32, open maps with multiple objectives and spawn points.

Troop transport vehicles, entering and exiting at will. Accessible from your base camp/main spawn.

Manning an AT-AT with a driver and gunner on Hoth... performing a risky maneuver hitching a ride on a speeder bike and dashing across the map to take the far objective with a friend.

No cutscenes or AI dumbing down gameplay. Fun and engaging matches lasting a half hour or more.

Heroes not having a huge bearing on the outcome of matches.

Freedom to play as you like and creating your own heroic and cool moments within a real sandbox game mode.

y31jo1pjg2tz.gif
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Piscettios wrote: »
    Imagine 32v32, open maps with multiple objectives and spawn points.

Troop transport vehicles, entering and exiting at will. Accessible from your base camp/main spawn.

Manning an AT-AT with a driver and gunner on Hoth... performing a risky maneuver hitching a ride on a speeder bike and dashing across the map to take the far objective with a friend.

No cutscenes or AI dumbing down gameplay. Fun and engaging matches lasting a half hour or more.

Heroes not having a huge bearing on the outcome of matches.

Freedom to play as you like and creating your own heroic and cool moments within a real sandbox game mode.

y31jo1pjg2tz.gif

why would you want that? Gotta watch epic cutscene that looks super slick and cool
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Wanna see something funny?
    A modder made this 10 months ago.

I don't see whats so hard about adding command posts to the existing GA maps.
  • Empire_TW
    5560 posts Member
    New mode is garbage and will not save this game IMO. It’s basically small/mini domination followed by mini strike.

This was supposed to be a Conquest type/style mode? 🤣 The control points are what, 100 meters apart and 250 from end to end? What a joke.

Map filler AI only dumbs down the experience.

My suggestion: Add maps like Cloud City, Hoth and Endor ‘15... use all existing large maps. Then drop the ship phase and AI, add spawn points to the control points. Then we’ll have something resembling a fun and replayable mode. Aka Conquest.

The most laughable moments come during the transition to the ships. You climb aboard while the enemy is blasting away at you and the ship. Nothing happens as you just vanish into the open door ship and the enemy team has no effect on what’s going on. How much more un-immersive and awkward can it get?

Drop the ship phase and expand on the ground part!

Colossal waste of time and resources should have just been regular conquest.
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
  • give us real conquest!
  • Jaku
    205 posts Member
    My worry now is that any future support for this game is going to be focused on this **** mode, rather than new maps for GA, new guns for troopers, more Blaster heroes, hero strike etc.
  • Jaku wrote: »
    My worry now is that any future support for this game is going to be focused on this **** mode, rather than new maps for GA, new guns for troopers, more Blaster heroes, hero strike etc.

Same
    au1nfqtfyt82.png
  • Well it looks like they ****** on our leg and told us it was raining
  • camerog wrote: »
    this community is so negative, i just can't come to the forums anymore

...okay?
    XBOX GT: Finest blah

• Liz4rD
    873 posts Member
    Well.

I enjoyed the new mode very much. Thats all.
  • Liz4rD wrote: »
    Well.

I enjoyed the new mode very much. Thats all.

IIRC, you enjoy just about everything the devs put out. So that's not saying much
    XBOX GT: Finest blah

• mastery0ta wrote: »
    Well it looks like they ****** on our leg and told us it was raining

Have you got to try it yet? I just wasn’t feelin it. But I was also gearing myself up to dislike it because I knew it wouldn’t be as good as Conquest can be. 😓
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13