criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Rebuff Heroes/Villains Special Abilities

I am mostly going to be discussing how terrible it is to play as specific heroes or villains in modes like Heroes vs Villains or Hero Showdown ever since the reduction of power with hero/villain special abilities. I honestly do not enjoy playing as specific heroes or villains as much as I used to because there is no such thing as a “challenge” in these modes anymore. It’s a mockery to the characters from the Star Wars franchise just as I feel it is a mockery to any popular fighting style game, if that was what the original concept of these modes was striving to be similar to.

Darth Vader’s Choke is an embarrassment to the character. He went from being able to actually force choke to simply stopping a hero’s advance with brief “choke” action. At least, this is the only viable reason as to why a player would choose to activate the ability now. If we’re talking about damage, his choke does barely any damage to heroes anymore, and it’s almost as if you’re using it in a desperate attempt to save yourself. And if you really were going to want to stop heroes advancing on you, it’s more effective to use Kylo Ren’s Freeze ability than it is to use Choke.

The description of this ability needs to change as well if it’s going to proceed to be as useless as it currently is. Description does not appropriately describe how weak this ability is now: “Darth Vader chokes a cluster of enemies ahead of him, dragging them off the ground and through the air to drop them into danger.”

While he does momentarily drag a target, it’s hardly noticeable and effective in damage since the choke doesn’t last nearly as long as it used to. He is easily overpowered by other saber wielders if attacked all at once and doesn’t seem to be a menacing threat to heroes like he is in the films. I also argue that he was never overly powerful as a villain, I felt that he was reasonably well balanced with both defense and offense, and whoever designed him initially did a great job with balancing his abilities so that not one ability would be favored over the other.

Compare him to his younger self, Anakin Skywalker, and his Retribution ability. There’s a huge difference with the duration of the choke when this is active versus when you use Choke with Darth Vader. Considering these two characters are the same person, why is it that Anakin can appropriately choke a villain whereas Darth Vader cannot anymore? This is not just me simply saying that Darth Vader should be OP or saying that he should dominate as a villain in either game modes. Retribution and Choke should be relatively similar in both damage, effectiveness, and appearance when other player’s witness them being used. As such, I am just not convinced that the debuffing of hero/villain abilities has brought more balance and overall “fairness” to combat in those modes given these two characters.

Coupled with the new additions to light saber combat with the newest Supremacy release, I don’t even recommend playing as Darth Vader knowing that Anakin Skywalker is potentially always in combat and will most likely take you down as Darth Vader or any other villain currently in the game? Truly this is a clear representation of imbalance, Anakin and Vader are supposed to be the same person, just one is a villain and the other is a hero. Anakin is also arguably the most powerful and OP character that’s been added to the game since the initial game release.

But I also want to argue against the idea of continuing to weaken both heroes and villains to the point that there is no challenge when playing against other’s. Fans of Star Wars want to be able to see the villain successfully use abilities that are are reputable to them, same as for the heros being able rescue each other with abilities of there own. It fully immerses you into the game and makes you feel as if you really are playing as that hero or villain. Plus, any video gamer should know that skill will be required to play. This is universal to any game of any style. I can’t think of another game that for any reason would diminish abilities for a playable character, unless it is purposeful or unless the player actively chose to cheat.

I do not wish for your development team to continue to destroy these game modes by denying players the option to have fun with a challenging mode just because other players are unable to understand the concept behind a “fighting mode” that’s reminiscent and similar to other PVP style games (i.e. Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom, Call of Duty). That’s what makes the original Battlefront II unique and fun, there’s no combat restriction and this game had the potential to be just as fun if it weren’t for these changes. If that’s how video games were intended to be, then there would be no such thing as competitive gaming. Anyone who says that competitive gaming shouldn’t exist isn’t truly a gamer, and sounds more like someone who is just simply good at complaining, rather than actually trying to make a conscious effort to learn how to play the game.

Make your game fun again by rebuffing the characters to the appropriate levels they deserve, the way you originally designed them to be played. Otherwise we have a game that has no purpose for being played. Is this really what Battlefront II was intended to be? If so, everyone who said that this game wasn’t worth buying or playing is right.

Don’t waste your time and keep on playing games with real challenges, like the original Battlefront 2, Fortnite, PubG, Call of Duty, or fighting games.

Replies

• qATL0Cc.png

Seriously, Vader is terrible now that he has to deal with stamina issues even if he's using furious resilience. It's terrible.
  • I think luke should have 90% damage reduction during his Repulse ability. I got killed playing as Luke so many times during that pause/delay right before he releases his Repulse ability. I was just trying to stop a bunch of villains from ganging up on me when I was by myself in HvV but I was like a sitting duck during that pause before Repulse.

If Anakin and Obi-Wan got damage reduction during their abilities, then so should Luke. I mean it's Luke Skywalker, the face of Star Wars.
  • Maliainu
    900 posts Member
    Ultrastar wrote: »
    I think luke should have 90% damage reduction during his Repulse ability. I got killed playing as Luke so many times during that pause/delay right before he releases his Repulse ability. I was just trying to stop a bunch of villains from ganging up on me when I was by myself in HvV but I was like a sitting duck during that pause before Repulse.

If Anakin and Obi-Wan got damage reduction during their abilities, then so should Luke. I mean it's Luke Skywalker, the face of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren: The force is strong.

I’m just sick of reductions, sorry this comment is irrelevant.
  • Damage reduction is a buff, silly.

• Maliainu
    900 posts Member
    Certainly, but my point has been to not even consider that as a viable solution to the problem with “balancing combat” or however it could be described.

So while certain heroes or villains can continue to be buffed, nerfed, etc, I just don’t agree with that idea.