criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

Palpatine needs his block back

Terranova4
437 posts Member
edited March 5
I think we can all agree that the Senate needs his block from 2015 back which let him block even sabers and blasters so he isn't tossed around like a beach ball by literally anyone. I mean come on, the only people in canon that have been able to breach his Force Wall and push him were Yoda and Vader.

olitniieai0a.gif

Palpatine is subject to being knocked around by: Repulse, Push, Unleashed, All out Push, Pull Dominance, Retribution, Heroic Might, and can't even defend himself if Obi-Wan uses Mind Trick and stunlocks him.

Replies

• They could just make his two handed attack one trigger and put in block on the other one
  • It would be cool if they gave him a block which would also block minds tricks and every force power! Maybe a bit too op, but so is Anakin. :sunglasses:

That would be fine since no one can counter Mind Tricks
  • TBH, I'd like it back. It's basically the same as Yoda's block (called Tutaminus or Force Absorb) and it could be balanced to block both blasters and sabers. It could be decent against blasters, but should be really bad against sabers; like 3 blocks and he's out of stamina. As for Yoda, his could be made to do the same, able to block saber attacks but not efficiently.

The problem I see with this is that he is already extremely mobile. They would have to reduce his agility in some way, possibly by giving him shorter dodges?

On an related note, Yoda should be more agile and have less health, IMO. Give him a higher jump to he on par with other saber heroes and give him the 3 dodge charges like Dooku has. It doesn't make too much sense that Dooku has 3 dodge charges, because his Makashi form is all about precision and efficiency, not the highly mobile and agile Ataru form Yoda uses.

Anyway, back to Sheev, with his mobility, range (soft lock, too), and even blocking, he's going to be THE BANE of like all saber heroes (pun intended, even though he isn't Darth Bane). Not to mention that he can use Dark Aura to slow them down even further. He would be able to hold several saber heroes at bay on his own. The only counter that saber heroes could have is to get Obi Wan to disable him temporarily and try to move in for the kill, or to try and bait him out into jumping or (if you're quick enough) dodging and pull him in. Against blasters, it would be ok. But it would make him too good against sabers, at least in this little thought experiment.
    We need a Tier System for the Heroes. It would justify the "op-ness" of Vader over Han and Chewbacca. It would cost much more to unlock Vader, and would require you to save a lot more than for other heroes and vehicles, but it would be rewarding in the end...

"It would essentially ruin the eras and turn them into nothing much more than the same thing and same experience but with a different skin. Which is contrary to the point in having eras in the first place." - ZmanGames
  • No, he would be impossible to kill. He's unbelievable hard by saber heroes, if he can now block blaster, GG.

Give him his block, but he can only use lighting while on the ground not while levitating.
  • No, he would be impossible to kill. He's unbelievable hard by saber heroes, if he can now block blaster, GG.

Give him his block, but he can only use lighting while on the ground not while levitating.

Any competent blaster hero can melt Palpatine, especially Finn
  • awakespace
    1051 posts Member
    edited March 5
    If you really wanted to do this right and not break the game in another way - he should be able to block force powers while on the ground only

if you make palp able to block blasters he will be too powerful, and if you add sabers, he will be invincible

maul should be able to block force only also

it's funny that mostly this is a response to Anakin's abilities

• Instead of a block against saber attacks, which he doesn't need at all due to his highly evasive movements (in other words git gud), he should have a 4th ability that acts as a temporary passive "immunity" to the Force attacks of other players like pushes and minds tricks. It's the fairest way to implement the change in my opinion. He shouldn't be able to block lightsabers or blasters, but an ability to use the Force to shield himself against Force attacks feels right for the character. I also don't want to sacrifice the current mechanic of each trigger controlling one of his hands to shoot electricity for a block because I think it works great.
  • Considering every force user is finally getting a block, Palpatine should get one too. A block as in battlefront 2015 but only vs blasters and force power, not viable against sabers.

Palpatine block: Palpatine can absorb 20 blaster bolts before run out of stamina.
  • Terranova4 wrote: »
    No, he would be impossible to kill. He's unbelievable hard by saber heroes, if he can now block blaster, GG.

"Especially Finn" is an understatement, as he is the hard counter to Palpatine and Boba, with his DeadEye cards.

• They could just make his two handed attack one trigger and put in block on the other one

This 100%
  • DarthCapa2
    2884 posts Member
    Phyxsius wrote: »
    Terranova4 wrote: »
    No, he would be impossible to kill. He's unbelievable hard by saber heroes, if he can now block blaster, GG.

"Especially Finn" is an understatement, as he is the hard counter to Palpatine and Boba, with his DeadEye cards.

Deadeye is a dumb ability.. too easy to use.
  • DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    Considering every force user is finally getting a block, Palpatine should get one too. A block as in battlefront 2015 but only vs blasters and force power, not viable against sabers.

Palpatine block: Palpatine can absorb 20 blaster bolts before run out of stamina.

It's not hard to dodge lightsaber attacks with Palps unless you're mind tricked so that'd be alright
  • DarthCapa2
    2884 posts Member
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    Considering every force user is finally getting a block, Palpatine should get one too. A block as in battlefront 2015 but only vs blasters and force power, not viable against sabers.

It's not hard to dodge lightsaber attacks with Palps unless you're mind tricked so that'd be alright

indeed he don't need a block for sabers, but for blasters.
  • For blasters maybe...
    PSN: Atreus-213
    Xbox One GT: Atreus215
  • While I understand your reasoning I still am not sure about it. Palpatine is still a more than viable character to use in GA and I often see skilled users on top of the leaderboard with the emperor.
  • If you hold block you should block Dark Aura....

If you hold block, you should block explosive damage......

Palps doesn't need a block.

What is needed is diminishing returns on ragdoll and CC effects.
    "I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH
  • Evo911
    260 posts Member
    Palp is enough strong like that. He has 150 meters lightning distance and he can even kill opponents without seing them, so stop in GA for sure.
  • KresusFIN
    2716 posts Member
    It would be cool if they gave him a block which would also block minds tricks and every force power! Maybe a bit too op, but so is Anakin. :sunglasses:

That is the most **** thing I've ever noted in a Star Wars game. I urge, or no, DARE any Star Wars fan to explain to me exactly how Rey, or say, Obi-Wan is able to mindtrick someone like Palpatine. Or Vader. Or Kylo. Or Dooku.

Rey's mindtrick was dumb from the second the scene played in TFA, but Obi-Wan? I can see them bamboozling troopers easypeasy (Rey less so, but we already covered her being badly written) but force sensitives? Other heroes?
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • d0kRX
    1418 posts Member
    It would make sense, he's supposed to be extremely powerful. He's weak.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • d0kRX wrote: »
    It would make sense, he's supposed to be extremely powerful. He's weak.

3pcqkswmf7i9.gif
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    It would be cool if they gave him a block which would also block minds tricks and every force power! Maybe a bit too op, but so is Anakin. :sunglasses:

That is the most **** thing I've ever noted in a Star Wars game. I urge, or no, DARE any Star Wars fan to explain to me exactly how Rey, or say, Obi-Wan is able to mindtrick someone like Palpatine. Or Vader. Or Kylo. Or Dooku.

Rey's mindtrick was dumb from the second the scene played in TFA, but Obi-Wan? I can see them bamboozling troopers easypeasy (Rey less so, but we already covered her being badly written) but force sensitives? Other heroes?

I guess in a way, you "resist" by moving appropriately to minimize the effect.
    PSN: Atreus-213
    Xbox One GT: Atreus215