criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

[unpopular opinion?] I prefer big drops of content every 3months rather than regular but spread out

Starwarsfanboosk_com
1241 posts Member
edited April 9
I'm not sure if this is just me, but in the DLC for the first game, I was always very excited to play the new DLC for at least 2 weeks until I slowled down on the game a bit, it had so much substancy that I really didn't felt I was getting bored

2 heroes, 4 maps, 2 or 3 weapons ,1 new mode, star cards every few months always kept me excited for whats to come

I kind of don't feel the same with this game's, a drop of content that includes a single hero or a single mode or a single map and a hero just doesn't makes want to play the game past the first day of the DLC release, I experience the entire month's worth of content in a few minutes, then back to the old map rotation, the old weapon roster, the old hero roster etc...

I really wish they'd change their philosophy and start dropping a good ammount of content every 3/4 months or so, and in the months without content, there'd be at least 1 balance patch to keep things somewhat ''fresh''

Replies

• I prefer fixes on what we have right now first but yes
  • Piscettios
    5591 posts Member
    Agreed.

And it really becomes problematic with the single heroes. People quitting out constantly in HvV because they want to try the new content. Can’t be mad about people that do this either. Not their fault, but it makes just getting into a match those first few days a real drag at times.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • It would be nice but their idea of "big drops" would what we are being drip fed now but with maybe a few more skins or something so it wouldn't really be worth it.
  • CloudMcRip
    16 posts Member
    edited April 9
    I really wish they'd change their philosophy and start dropping a good ammount of content every 3/4 months or so, and in the months without content, there'd be at least 1 balance patch to keep things somewhat ''fresh''
    That's the point where you see what happens when it comes to "free" . I would pay for new content but in Form of content what I want and not like BF2015 (you knowed the stuff before the release of the game it self)... There is so much potential but "NO" ... I think if there would be a more active Community Manager set on, then a lot of things would work better. This is not battlefront only, the same thing happens too battlefield too. The "Games as a Service" doesn't work very well from a view of an outsider.

The other site is the community... a lot of threads are some kind of: ( Balance here, new hero there, "I leave because the new Char is OP", "we want new maps", waaah classes are to strong... ) . Balancing is okay, sure there are some balance things needed, but and that's the point they need money for this.
    We buy a game / a license and got content for this. But the content 1 year later or a few years later will need money. Server costs, Artists costs, 3D Modell Artists, Voice Actor, Game Designer, Maintence...
    I wonder if you know what a new map or a new game mode will cost... no service is "free" today or do you work for free?
  • KLATZ55
    125 posts Member
    Agreed
  • What about small doors of content every 6 months?
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • This would be great. Even 2 heroes (One LS, One DS, every other update lightsaber and blaster), 1-3 map(s), 0-2 mode(s), and 2-4 skins per 3 months would be great for me.
    Where's the offline content?
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • They would need to make purchasing the dlc part of the base game though, basically increasing the cost of the game. I hated that bespin Walker assault wasn't part of the regular map rotation for example. Yes it was better than the drip fed garbage we are getting in this game, but that ain't saying much.
  • They would need to make purchasing the dlc part of the base game though, basically increasing the cost of the game. I hated that bespin Walker assault wasn't part of the regular map rotation for example. Yes it was better than the drip fed garbage we are getting in this game, but that ain't saying much.
    It's the Season Pass you miss. YES, I prefer the Season Pass. It will always provide better content to the gamers than "free DLC". Battlefield V "free DLC" is a joke compared to BF4 and BF1. EA sold a $50 Season Pass with Battlefront 2015 that promised at least 4 DLC packs of content.

"Free DLC" is corporate speak for a game saddled with MTXs and/or loot boxes. The problem is not all games are suited for this model. Battlefield and Battlefront require significant effort to get good DLC content out, and the Season Pass set a high standard. Even Battlefield V isn't getting much content...a couple of maps, Rush mode, and Firestorm. That's pathetic. BF4 had 2 DLC packs out by now. But they just rolled out their MTX model, and ticked everyone off once again LOL!!

Not necessarily, they could still drop a big batch of content every few months in the free live model

Would it be less content than the season pass? obviously

Would it take longer than 2015's 3 month wait? I have no doubt

But I feel that is the best of both worlds.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1669 posts Member
    edited April 10
    bfloo wrote: »
    So far, looking at this game and what bfv has gotten, the season pass worked much better.

The way they are drip feeding everything gets drawn out, and the new content is fun for 10 minutes, then you are stuck in an old map again. cs might have been fun, but 1 map over and over and over....

Agreed. I look back at BF4 as the high mark of how a Season Pass can work for a game. Each DLC pack was themed to bring a set of totally new experiences to the game. They included 4 maps playable in 64-player Conquest and smaller modes, and usually new vehicles and weapons. When all was said and done, they added 20 maps to the game via 5 DLC packs and then 3 more free:
    • China Rising DLC pack delivering large land battles.
    • Second Assault DLC pack adding fan favorite maps from Battlefield 3
    • Naval Strike DLC pack delivering island based maps and heavy naval action
    • Dragon's Teeth DLC pack delivering more infantry oriented land maps
    • Final Stand DLC pack delivering large land battles in snowy mountain terrain with high tech items like hover tank and rail gun sniper rifle
    • Free maps added after the Season Pass included a night version of the Zavod 311 launch map, infantry map Operation Outbreak, and large vehicle map Dragon Valley 2015 bringing a mix of land/air/sea battles.

Battlefield 1 did something similar with their season pass. Battlefront 2015 basically did as well, but it was not remotely as effective since most maps were not playable in the large game modes. DICE learned their lesson from that mistake with this game.

I've never seen free DLC approach this level of content.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    So far, looking at this game and what bfv has gotten, the season pass worked much better.

The way they are drip feeding everything gets drawn out, and the new content is fun for 10 minutes, then you are stuck in an old map again. cs might have been fun, but 1 map over and over and over....

Agreed. I look back at BF4 as the high mark of how a Season Pass can work for a game. Each DLC pack was themed to bring a set of totally new experiences to the game. They included 4 maps playable in 64-player Conquest and smaller modes, and usually new vehicles and weapons. When all was said and done, they added 20 maps to the game via 5 DLC packs and then 3 more free:
    • Final Stand DLC pack delivering large land battles in snowy mountain terrain with high tech items like hover tank and rail gun sniper rifle
    • Free maps added after the Season Pass included a night version of the Zavod 311 launch map, infantry map Operation Outbreak, and large vehicle map Dragon Valley 2015 bringing a mix of land/air/sea battles.

Battlefield 1 did something similar with their season pass. Battlefront 2015 basically did as well, but it was not remotely as effective since most maps were not playable in the large game modes. DICE learned their lesson from that mistake with this game.

I agree with all of yours points, but the pain of having playlists ... I'm not sure if its worth it

Perhaps then having paid DLC for Heroes, Weapons, skins etc... and free maps?
  • This works better if the changes are substantial, but yeah in general I agree with your point.

They should stick with monthly updates but focus on bug fixes and QOL. Then every 2-3 months they come out with several gameplay updates that make the game feel instantly different rather than the gradual pace we have now.

hnytpwosbe30.png

I agree with all of yours points, but the pain of having playlists ... I'm not sure if its worth it

They'd have to ditch the matchmaking playlist system for sure. Battlefield 4 didn't have a playlist system like Battlefront 2015 did. It had a server/lobby browser system. They rented servers to players too so they could make their own playlists. Players could make a playlist from any map in the game, both launch and DLC map. DICE also had official playlists of launch maps and DLC packs. With the browser, a player could easily find matches that you had the maps for.

Most Battlefield games have had a server/lobby browser system. Battlefield 1 has the same. The PC Battlefield games like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 had the same. As I recall, the old Pandemic Battlefront games ran off a lobby browser system from Gamespy.

Wouldn’t be a problem if they included server browser + rental. playlists were never an issue in BF3/4, just another option.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • I know a server browser would easily fix the playlist situation @Piscettios @ArchAngeL_777

But the three of us know that DICE would never do such thing for battlefront, they can't even give us proper conquest ffs
  • They could make crystals a money-only feature, so you can only get them with money. You could still use credits on cosmetics, but crystals cannot be earned except through real currency.

This would give at least a little bit more money to DICE for good content.
    Where's the offline content?
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • I'm not sure if this is just me, but in the DLC for the first game, I was always very excited to play the new DLC for at least 2 weeks until I slowled down on the game a bit, it had so much substancy that I really didn't felt I was getting bored

2 heroes, 4 maps, 2 or 3 weapons ,1 new mode, star cards every few months always kept me excited for whats to come

I kind of don't feel the same with this game's, a drop of content that includes a single hero or a single mode or a single map and a hero just doesn't makes want to play the game past the first day of the DLC release, I experience the entire month's worth of content in a few minutes, then back to the old map rotation, the old weapon roster, the old hero roster etc...

You have to keep in mind that this game had EA's original model set before the backlash. It was supposed to expand and develop more content as its micro transaction model would generate more development income (that most likely the EA CEO's would have pocketed). We may or may not have gotten better DLC's but the only reason they are releasing all this new content for "free" is so that they can make up for the Micro transaction backlash, and retain their Star Wars licencing after **** the fan base off, having Disney let them make more games in the future. So the reason why these DLC's don't have the same feel or satisfaction is because they are more like updates/patches then they are well developed DLC's you pay for or get thru a season pass.
  • It'd be nice for them to focus on big updates, then fixes for those updates. I think it'd be nice to have more game modes like Capture the Flag or a new Hardcore mode. I hope they bring new content to the Clone Wars Era such as skins, maps, blasters, and heroes. But I would like to see those things for the other Eras too and soon.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1669 posts Member
    edited April 10
    I know a server browser would easily fix the playlist situation @Piscettios @ArchAngeL_777

But the three of us know that DICE would never do such thing for battlefront, they can't even give us proper conquest ffs

Yeah BFV doesn't have a server browser either, so it seems to be a recent philosophy at DICE. EA is going to have to come to the realization that the "games as service" doesn't work with games like Battlefield and Battlefront. Season Passes have set an expectation for these games.

They could likely make more money selling an annual season pass, then delivering 4 DLC packs per year. Imagine if they sold a Season Pass for this game. It could have had:
    • Clone Wars DLC pack 1(March 2018) - Obi-Wan, Grievous, Geonosis, Utapau, maps for all modes.
    • Solo DLC pack (May 2018) - Enfys Nest, Dryden Voss, Kessel, Corellia, Jabba's Palace, one more map from Outer Rim DLC, Extraction mode and smaller modes on all 4 maps.
    • Clone Wars DLC pack 2 (September 2018) - Anakin, Dooku, Mustafar and Mygeeto with maps for GA and small modes, Capital Supremacy arrives on all Clone Wars era maps.
    • Rogue One DLC pack (December 2018) - Jyn Erso, Krennic, Scarif and Mustafar map with Vader's castle with maps for GA and small modes. Capital Supremacy comes to OT era with Scarif and ship interiors for Mon Calamari cruiser and Imperial Star Destroyer

After Rogue One DLC, they advertise Year 2 Season Pass for $50. Again, it's 4 DLC packs for 2019 that could include:
    • Battlefront 2015 Legacy DLC pack (March 2019) - Nien Nunb, Greedo, Sullust and Bespin (large map) with maps for GA and all small modes. Capital Supremacy adds Sullust, Hoth, and Endor.
    • Rogue One DLC pack 2 (May 2019) - Baze Malbus, Chirrut Imwe, IG-88, Dengar, Jedha on GA and small modes. Capital Supremacy comes to Yavin 4 and Mos Eisley.
    • Clone Wars Saved DLC pack (September 2019) - Ahsoka Tano, Asajj Ventress, Padme Amidala, Aurra Sing, Coruscant with Jedi Temple and Mandalore with maps for all modes. Capital Supremacy adds Coruscant and Mandalore.
    • Episode 9 DLC pack (December 2019) - 2 or 4 heroes, 2 new locations for ST, CS comes to ST.

They could just keep rolling into 2020 with Year 3 Season Pass:
    • Episode 9 DLC pack 2 (March 2020)
    • Mandalorian DLC pack (May 2020)
    • Star Wars Rebels DLC pack (September 2020) - Kanan Jarrus, Grand Inquisitor, Lothal, Malachor, maps for all modes except CS.
    • DLC pack 4 (December 2020) - likely a tie in to something from Disney+. Maybe Resistance, maybe the show for Cassian Andor, maybe more Mandalorian
    Post edited by ArchAngeL_777 on
  • I prefer having expansion packs that were basically the size of the main game.
    Command and conquer Red alert 2.
    One Year later Yuris revenge expansion pack.
    Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TroopperFoFo/ .
    Battlefront 2 , Battlefield and more.
  • rollind24
    5199 posts Member
    edited April 10
    The drip fed content we get now doesn’t even equal the paid DLC we got last game. I do understand why because their monetization evaporated at launch. If the content being released incrementally actually added up then I’d be fine with it
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • I really like the sound of your hopeful roadmap :+1:

@ArchAngeL_777

Though they'd probably hold off IG-88 for the mandalorian season, but all of that is just too good to be reality when it comes to EA :expressionless:
  • I really like the sound of your hopeful roadmap :+1:

@ArchAngeL_777

Though they'd probably hold off IG-88 for the mandalorian season, but all of that is just too good to be reality when it comes to EA :expressionless:

Thanks. I got a bit too into it as I was thinking it up and it just kept going LOL!! Yeah EA would have to be convinced it's a better money maker. Seems to me that would be easy given the trajectory of BFV and how this game launched. They could sustain a game for years that way.

What if EA and DICE started this Season Pass model for 2020?

This game has a solid foundation now. Rather than throw it away, build on it. They could finish the year with Clone Wars Season 7 and Episode 9 content. Around November 2019, start selling the season pass for 2020. There's plenty of content people want. It could include:
    • Rogue One DLC pack (March 2020) - Jyn Erso, Krennic, Chirrut Imwe, Dengar, Scarif and Jedha for GA and small game modes. Captial Supremacy adds Scarif, Hoth, and Endor.
    • Episode 9 DLC pack 2 (May 2020) - 2 or 4 heroes, 2 locations, Capital Supremacy adds ST content
    • Mandalorian DLC pack (September 2020)
    • Clone Wars DLC pack (December 2020) - Mace Windu, Jango Fett (assuming he's not in the game this fall), 2 locations which come to all modes including CS. Depending on if they add a location this fall, candidates would be Coruscant, Mygeeto, Felucia, Polis Massan.

Starting November 2020, sell the 2021 Season Pass which could have the following:
    • Battlefront 2015 Legacy DLC pack (March 2021) - Nien Nunb, Greedo, Sullust and Bespin large map with maps for GA and small modes, add Cargo game mode for all maps, add all extraction map. Capital Supremacy adds Sullust.
    • Star Wars Rebels DLC pack (May 2021) - Kanan Jarrus, Grand Inquisitor, Lothal and Malachor with maps for GA and small modes. Capital Supremacy adds Lothal. I'm guessing the rumored animated show is happening that continues Rebels, so Sabine, Ezra, and Thrawn could be future DLC tied to that.
    • Mandalorian Season 2 DLC pack (September 2021)
    • DLC Pack 4 - This could be a Resistance DLC pack for ST era or Cassian Andor tie in pack.
  • Chem0
    97 posts Member
    I prefer having expansion packs that were basically the size of the main game.
    Command and conquer Red alert 2.
    One Year later Yuris revenge expansion pack.

Best model yet. DLS is imo just big patch with price tag on it. Or as lots of games DLC with a price tag is something that should be in the game in the launch. As releasing unfinished game with full price and then patching it to finished product with dlc's.
  • Though I understand your viewpoints here, as an older gamer who has seen other times I cannot agree that gamers are to blame for the state this game is in, and that we are responsible for funding further content for the game. After the backlash at launch they gave up on this game and started to give it away with ~50% off within a couple of weeks after release instead of improving the game to keep the price up. Good games don’t have such a decline in pricing and keep at a higher level for much longer. Finished games are being sliced up pre launch to sell “additional” content later on as dlc or season pass, so games are released with a minimum amount of content. It is not our fault that their business model was flawed and people rejected it, which they saw as a reason to cut the devs and ultimately broke their promises. I strongly dislike dlc and season passes and dearly miss the old times, which is best described here- though I’m sure all of you have seen this before:
    oj3mzqenx1jo.jpeg

As an example: I strongly believe that the additional maps for CS were finished during the 9 month development time, but are being held back so they drip feed them to us and buy themselves some time to work on the next heroes or whatever. Just my opinion
  • bfloo
    14428 posts Member
    skincarver wrote: »
    Though I understand your viewpoints here, as an older gamer who has seen other times I cannot agree that gamers are to blame for the state this game is in, and that we are responsible for funding further content for the game. After the backlash at launch they gave up on this game and started to give it away with ~50% off within a couple of weeks after release instead of improving the game to keep the price up. Good games don’t have such a decline in pricing and keep at a higher level for much longer. Finished games are being sliced up pre launch to sell “additional” content later on as dlc or season pass, so games are released with a minimum amount of content. It is not our fault that their business model was flawed and people rejected it, which they saw as a reason to cut the devs and ultimately broke their promises. I strongly dislike dlc and season passes and dearly miss the old times, which is best described here- though I’m sure all of you have seen this before:
    oj3mzqenx1jo.jpeg

As an example: I strongly believe that the additional maps for CS were finished during the 9 month development time, but are being held back so they drip feed them to us and buy themselves some time to work on the next heroes or whatever. Just my opinion

The way they are drip feeding it out is killing this game.

If they released 3-4 cs maps at once, it would have been viable. 1 map a month is fun for a day or 2.

If they split all the skins between eras, I might have cared. Every clone legion wasn't needed, plus the rainbow parties are just awful.

The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• skincarver wrote: »
    Though I understand your viewpoints here, as an older gamer who has seen other times I cannot agree that gamers are to blame for the state this game is in, and that we are responsible for funding further content for the game. After the backlash at launch they gave up on this game and started to give it away with ~50% off within a couple of weeks after release instead of improving the game to keep the price up. Good games don’t have such a decline in pricing and keep at a higher level for much longer. Finished games are being sliced up pre launch to sell “additional” content later on as dlc or season pass, so games are released with a minimum amount of content. It is not our fault that their business model was flawed and people rejected it, which they saw as a reason to cut the devs and ultimately broke their promises. I strongly dislike dlc and season passes and dearly miss the old times, which is best described here- though I’m sure all of you have seen this before:
    oj3mzqenx1jo.jpeg

A Season pass model actually does work like the "THEN" part. You launch a full game, then the Season Pass funds DLC expansion packs. Battlefield 4 for instance launched with full 64-player Conquest and other modes, 10 maps, and a full single player. It was the full game experience. The Season pass added 5 packs of 4 maps per DLC pack.

This game actually did launch as the full game. It had the single player, Starfighter Assault with a good number of maps, 11 or so locations with maps for all other modes, and an Arcade mode. The drip fed support is because their loot box funding blew up in their faces.
  • @ArchAngeL_777 I agree with your last sentence and you can always find games that are released like “then” (e.g. horizon zero dawn) and games that are released like “now” (e.g. dirt rally 2.0, soul calibur). Whether this game was completed upon launch is surely debatable- to me it wasn’t, considering all the modes, weapons and customization options we had in bf15 that went missing in 17. I will gladly admit that there probably wasn’t enough time between 15 and 17 to work on massive content but I think we can all agree that TLJ season was finished before launch, and it seems the trooper skins were finished as well (at least for the most part) - yet we had to wait for them almost one year. Content has been drip fed from day one, and so are the additional CS maps (I believe). Apparently most companies spend more money on marketing than on manufacturing their products, and I heard that the same applies to game publishers. I funded this game with 60€ of my hard earned money. Who forced them to dump the game into the bargain bin a few weeks after launch? There goes the funding...
    If all gamers were united in refusing to buy games with these dlc/season pass mechanisms I am sure the gaming landscape would change drastically. But of course this won’t happen, since there are people out there advocating the necessity of buying mtx to “support” multi-billion-Dollar companies to be left begging for scraps so the companies can have a field day with their shareholders.
    Companies do have a choice, and so have I - if i‘ll risk getting burned a second or a third time or not.

Sry, long post 😓