criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
July Community Calendar
Obi-Wan Kenobi Community Quests

The Rise of The Skywalker

Replies

• It seems the Skywalker clan is nothing but a history of rises and falls. I liked that scene of her going against the Tie fighter though. Another example of "trying to recapture the feeling of the original while making it bigger and better". Going up against a puny speeder bike? Your move Luke's ghost.
  • Rise of Skywalker refers the Ben Skywalker rise as a Jedi. Think about it. It’s been hinted that Ben would go back to the light side and he is a Skywalker who play a major role in the new movies. Guessing for Rey she might be a palpatine OT Anakin brother. Palpatine could of made Anakin and a lot later down the line Rey making them siblings which would make sense. We never need learn how Anakin only had a mother, now we could 8 episode later.

I don't think so. This film, despite its title, is said to be the end of the Skywalker saga which means that the Skywalkers will no longer have an influence on the future of the Star Wars galaxy. If either Ben turns to the light or Rey is revealed to be a Skywalker, this means that this lineage continues and it has been stated that this movie ends that lineage and having either of these things happen means that the lineage continues.
    I think we will see the end of both Leia and Ben/Kylo in this film either be death or simply retiring to some far-flung part of the galaxy like Luke did. I'm more inclined to believe that the "Skywalker" in the title refers to a new order of force-wielders who will a follow a new doctrine based on the Skywalker legend, one that will show the parallels of the light and dark and teach force-wielders how to balance both sides.

I don't get why we are all guessing. Why don't we just wait until it comes out?

This is what we do. We guess and we theorize. This happens with every single Star Wars movie. This phenomenon isn't new and contrary to popular belief the speculation about The Last Jedi wasn't what led to it's downfall. What usually happens is that what we get is a theory or is better than a theory. What happened with Episode VIII was that it was worse than the theories and thus fans were mostly disappointed. I 'm sure we can all agree that The Last Jedi could have been better than what we got.

I don't think the endless theories and supposed "leaks" were really all that much of a factor in why TLJ was so disliked, I think it's because it was just the film itself. I went into TLJ having never watched any videos or read any of the "leaks" and still hated it because it had a terrible plot, completely ruined the character of Luke, and made Rey even more of a Mary Sue. The slow crawl "chase" through space, the tacked-on Canto Bight nonsense, Rose being utterly annoying, the pointless Holdo character, Luke's utter passiveness, Supreme Leader Snoke going out like ****, Phasma being a total joke, so many things that just made it terrible.
    It subverted people's expectations, yes, but the plot was weak and the what they did to Luke as well as Rey's continued rapid advancement in the force in spite of all established lore and canon is just as bad as the midichlorians of Ep I.
    42r58ych1zwh.gif
    People look for someone to blame so they blame us and our “unnecessary speculation” that supposedly we cling to so much that we would accept nothing but our theory.

Let me be clear.

This argument is ridiculous.

The speculation happens every time a Star Wars movie comes out, but people always abandon their theories after the movie because the movie is good. The Last Jedi is bad. Thus people are trying to grasp at their theories to make the movie better in their mind. Let me be clear again.

Those of us who don’t like The Last Jedi don’t want to hate it and didn’t go into the movie determined to hate it.
    We want to like Star Wars. To not like Star Wars feels wrong, at least it does to me. This I am conflicted and get quite heated about this movie because it could have been good, but it wasn’t.
    This movie is bad and using a bad argument to claim that “it’s really good, but that your theories got in the way” is ridiculous.

It reminds me of a debate I once had with someone about Man of Steel, which is also a movie I dislike for mishandling Superman, and they kept using these lofty analogies of biblical texts and Freudian theories on the ID and superego to explain how MoS was some great, deeply intellectual movie and if you were someone who didn't like it then you just weren't smart enough to get the symbolism and connotations of it all. No! It was just a terrible movie from start to finish that got the character of Superman 100% wrong, but it amazed me how this guy was twisting himself into preverbial knots to justify that trainwreck of a movie and now it's the same with TLJ lovers.
    They bash people for allegedly allowing the pre-release theories to influence their perception of the movie and then try to talk down to people who didn't like it as though they "don't get it" by spouting their own theories about what it all means. It's such utter hypocrisy to deride theories about the movie before it released and then start using theories to try and explain how good they believe the movie is. "You don't like it because of all those theories people had about what the movie would be but now let me tell you my theories about what those things in the movie meant and why it's the greatest Star Wars movie of all time." Really can't stand people like that.
    The only expectation I really had for TLJ, and I now have TRoS, is that we'd get some idea of why Rey is so powerful. That's it. It didn't have to be a full explanation either, just something to lay the groundwork for a big reveal in Ep IX would have been fine. Every character needs to have their powers and abilities explained otherwise they're too perfect and it makes them very unrelatable if they can do so many things well without knowing how. Maybe she was a sole survivor of the Jedi Temple attack by Kylo and had her memories of the force and her abilities repressed to keep her safe but they reawakened in TFA after tounching the lightsaber. That would be enough to make me drop the Mary Sue accusation, but until we get an explanation she will continue to be a Mary Sue.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Rise of Skywalker refers the Ben Skywalker rise as a Jedi. Think about it. It’s been hinted that Ben would go back to the light side and he is a Skywalker who play a major role in the new movies. Guessing for Rey she might be a palpatine OT Anakin brother. Palpatine could of made Anakin and a lot later down the line Rey making them siblings which would make sense. We never need learn how Anakin only had a mother, now we could 8 episode later.

I don't think so. This film, despite its title, is said to be the end of the Skywalker saga which means that the Skywalkers will no longer have an influence on the future of the Star Wars galaxy. If either Ben turns to the light or Rey is revealed to be a Skywalker, this means that this lineage continues and it has been stated that this movie ends that lineage and having either of these things happen means that the lineage continues.
    I think we will see the end of both Leia and Ben/Kylo in this film either be death or simply retiring to some far-flung part of the galaxy like Luke did. I'm more inclined to believe that the "Skywalker" in the title refers to a new order of force-wielders who will a follow a new doctrine based on the Skywalker legend, one that will show the parallels of the light and dark and teach force-wielders how to balance both sides.

This is what we do. We guess and we theorize. This happens with every single Star Wars movie. This phenomenon isn't new and contrary to popular belief the speculation about The Last Jedi wasn't what led to it's downfall. What usually happens is that what we get is a theory or is better than a theory. What happened with Episode VIII was that it was worse than the theories and thus fans were mostly disappointed. I 'm sure we can all agree that The Last Jedi could have been better than what we got.

I don't think the endless theories and supposed "leaks" were really all that much of a factor in why TLJ was so disliked, I think it's because it was just the film itself. I went into TLJ having never watched any videos or read any of the "leaks" and still hated it because it had a terrible plot, completely ruined the character of Luke, and made Rey even more of a Mary Sue. The slow crawl "chase" through space, the tacked-on Canto Bight nonsense, Rose being utterly annoying, the pointless Holdo character, Luke's utter passiveness, Supreme Leader Snoke going out like ****, Phasma being a total joke, so many things that just made it terrible.
    It subverted people's expectations, yes, but the plot was weak and the what they did to Luke as well as Rey's continued rapid advancement in the force in spite of all established lore and canon is just as bad as the midichlorians of Ep I.
    42r58ych1zwh.gif
    People look for someone to blame so they blame us and our “unnecessary speculation” that supposedly we cling to so much that we would accept nothing but our theory.

Let me be clear.

The speculation happens every time a Star Wars movie comes out, but people always abandon their theories after the movie because the movie is good. The Last Jedi is bad. Thus people are trying to grasp at their theories to make the movie better in their mind. Let me be clear again.

Those of us who don’t like The Last Jedi don’t want to hate it and didn’t go into the movie determined to hate it.
    We want to like Star Wars. To not like Star Wars feels wrong, at least it does to me. This I am conflicted and get quite heated about this movie because it could have been good, but it wasn’t.
    This movie is bad and using a bad argument to claim that “it’s really good, but that your theories got in the way” is ridiculous.

It reminds me of a debate I once had with someone about Man of Steel, which is also a movie I dislike for mishandling Superman, and they kept using these lofty analogies of biblical texts and Freudian theories on the ID and superego to explain how MoS was some great, deeply intellectual movie and if you were someone who didn't like it then you just weren't smart enough to get the symbolism and connotations of it all. No! It was just a terrible movie from start to finish that got the character of Superman 100% wrong, but it amazed me how this guy was twisting himself into preverbial knots to justify that trainwreck of a movie and now it's the same with TLJ lovers.
    They bash people for allegedly allowing the pre-release theories to influence their perception of the movie and then try to talk down to people who didn't like it as though they "don't get it" by spouting their own theories about what it all means. It's such utter hypocrisy to deride theories about the movie before it released and then start using theories to try and explain how good they believe the movie is. "You don't like it because of all those theories people had about what the movie would be but now let me tell you my theories about what those things in the movie meant and why it's the greatest Star Wars movie of all time." Really can't stand people like that.
    The only expectation I really had for TLJ, and I now have TRoS, is that we'd get some idea of why Rey is so powerful. That's it. It didn't have to be a full explanation either, just something to lay the groundwork for a big reveal in Ep IX would have been fine. Every character needs to have their powers and abilities explained otherwise they're too perfect and it makes them very unrelatable if they can do so many things well without knowing how. Maybe she was a sole survivor of the Jedi Temple attack by Kylo and had her memories of the force and her abilities repressed to keep her safe but they reawakened in TFA after tounching the lightsaber. That would be enough to make me drop the Mary Sue accusation, but until we get an explanation she will continue to be a Mary Sue.

Glad to have a similar minded companion. Part of me wants to tell people the truth about this movie, but part of me wants to leave them be in blissful ignorance. This movie... it just never ceases to drive me nuts.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Phyxsius
    372 posts Member
    edited April 13
    Rise of Skywalker refers the Ben Skywalker rise as a Jedi. Think about it. It’s been hinted that Ben would go back to the light side and he is a Skywalker who play a major role in the new movies. Guessing for Rey she might be a palpatine OT Anakin brother. Palpatine could of made Anakin and a lot later down the line Rey making them siblings which would make sense. We never need learn how Anakin only had a mother, now we could 8 episode later.

42r58ych1zwh.gif

Let me be clear.

In all honesty, it will make more sense to explain broom boy and his Force use than yet another story of "greatness".

Emperor Broom Boy by Episode 27, after he is taken in at Rey's Academy and falls to the Dark Side.

Called it here...

Agreed .. totally
  • The TIE Interceptor scene might be a dream sequence. It's an odd scene - Rey watches the TIE approach, and then lets it chase her on the ground, but for some reason, the pilot (assuming it's Kylo) never fires his weapons on her. Maybe it's just the beginning of their final fight against each other. I really hope Rey is not a Skywalker, the SW Universe doesn't need to be any more inbred than it already is.

I really liked the new 'Leia's Theme' music, and seeing Lando in the Falcon was great (happy to see him NOT wearing Han's clothes again) :expressionless:

I watched a few trailer reviews, and there are some time travel theories being thrown around, in reference to the potential return of Palpatine and Anakin. I don't see time travel happening, but do think we will see Palpatine's Sith Ghost, and Force Ghosts for Anakin and Luke. I would be surprised (and disappointed) if any of these characters are resurrected back to life.

• DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    Liz4rD wrote: »
    Seriously no one noticed that Palps IS BACK??

;)

While I don't mind it that just made anakins story pointless imo

First thing I thought. But maybe the title refer to Anakin that will bring back to finish the job to destroy the Emperor. Strange no one think about this.

I thought it and I feared. If this movie isn't good, then there is no saving the ST.

I honestly prefer something like this than see Rey kick Palpatine in the a_ _
  • budzai
    101 posts Member
    edited April 13
    Seriously no one noticed that Palps IS BACK??

;)

While I don't mind it that just made anakins story pointless imo

I think it all depends on the manner of how the movie handles this, if it makes sense and ties the movies together. The Dark Empire storyline where Palpatine returned as a clone was apparently what George Lucas had originally envisioned as the sequel trilogy after RotJ, and since Lucas apparently helped with Episode IX, some of these elements could come back in.
    Regardless of how Palpatine returns, clone or force spirit, I don't see it as cheapening Anakin's story. Anakin got his redemptive moment and returned to the light side, but there can be no good without evil and you can't really achieve "balance" this by destroying one of those sides as it will find a way to rise again.

Yes he did, but Anakin wasn't the chosen one back then. After the six films were done GL wanted a creation story, a tale about the Force itself cuz unlike Disney he understands that the dark vs light thing doesn't make sense after EP6.
    He offered Disney the story he wrote, but they said no and created that abomination that destroyed Lucas's story.
    Post edited by budzai on
  • budzai
    101 posts Member
    tankertoad wrote: »
    Deckard112 wrote: »
    The rise of Mary Sue. The only person in Star Wars history who’s born a complete Jedi.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

I know. It’s so weird when space women think they can do things. Everybody knows there can only be boy wizards.

Next thing you know these movies will all just be Boobie Fett this and Muff Tarkin that.

Yeesh.

That's not it. It's the Mary Sue aspect.

If Rey went through amazing trials and hardships and hard training everybody would love her.

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying. There are rules in Star Wars. And the only people who should be naturally good at things like force wizard powers are desert farm boys.

If some orphan girl who has had to fend for herself for her entire life thinks she can fly planes like a slave baby child she needs to think again. Everyone knows she needs an old man whispering to her when she closes her eyes and then has to through 20 screen minutes of muppet laser sword training.

That’s how it’s always been before and it shouldn’t change.

You really can't comprehend what you see in a movie right?
  • budzai
    101 posts Member
    DarthJ wrote: »
    The only bit of the trailer I liked was seeing Lando again.

I love Palps, but I don't want to see a physical return. Hologram or something similar, fine. But a physical return will make the story from 1-6 essentially lose importance, as Anakin will not have destroyed the Sith. Makes it all pointless.

It is already pointless.
  • budzai
    101 posts Member

I love Palps, but I don't want to see a physical return. Hologram or something similar, fine. But a physical return will make the story from 1-6 essentially lose importance, as Anakin will not have destroyed the Sith. Makes it all pointless.

I don't think the prophecy means that the Sith have to be destroyed. After all, it's not true balance if there's only one side. A galaxy without any Sith or Jedi is like a kid sitting on one side of a see-saw, but if that same kid stands at the centre point of that see-saw, then they can make it balanced.
    I think that the prophecy about "balance" is about finding that centre point of the light and dark sides of the force and not going too far to one side or the other, essentially a grey Jedi. A true Chosen One will find that balance and spread it throughout the galaxy.

When will people understand that balance=light side only? Dark side is like the cancer of the Force. Dark side force users want to bend the Force's will to their own benefits.
  • Liz4rD
    996 posts Member
    The rise of Mary Sue. The only person in Star Wars history who’s born a complete Jedi.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

I know. It’s so weird when space women think they can do things. Everybody knows there can only be boy wizards.

Next thing you know these movies will all just be Boobie Fett this and Muff Tarkin that.

Yeesh.

If Rey went through amazing trials and hardships and hard training everybody would love her.

Luke did not go through any special training to use the Force to destroy an entire massive combat space station like the Death Star. Thats way more above Rey's stuff. He did not knew even what a padawan knows about the force.
  • Cadoth
    1058 posts Member
    edited April 13

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Luke did not go through any special training to use the Force to destroy an entire massive combat space station like the Death Star. Thats way more above Rey's stuff. He did not knew even what a padawan knows about the force.

In that case it was basically Obi’s ghost and the “will of the force” that did everything, I mean Luke pretty much just hits the button
  • Liz4rD
    996 posts Member
    budzai wrote: »

I don't think the prophecy means that the Sith have to be destroyed. After all, it's not true balance if there's only one side. A galaxy without any Sith or Jedi is like a kid sitting on one side of a see-saw, but if that same kid stands at the centre point of that see-saw, then they can make it balanced.
    I think that the prophecy about "balance" is about finding that centre point of the light and dark sides of the force and not going too far to one side or the other, essentially a grey Jedi. A true Chosen One will find that balance and spread it throughout the galaxy.

When will people understand that balance=light side only? Dark side is like the cancer of the Force. Dark side force users want to bend the Force's will to their own benefits.

Thats your opinion...
  • budzai
    101 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Luke was already a good pilot. The Force just gave him the plus he needed. He also had a little training with Obi-wan.
    While Rey made a mid-trick after hearing about the Force exists. How on God's Earth she even know that can be done with the Force?
  • Looks great can’t wait
  • TLJ killed any interest I had in any of the characters, with the exception of Kylo, who I don’t really like much anyway. This trailer did nothing to sway me back. Hadn’t planned on seeing this in the theater, hearing Palps cackle (physical, holo or ghost...don’t care) solidified that. Just left me with a ‘what? Why?’ feeling.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Liz4rD
    996 posts Member
    Well, all the issues with Episodes VII and VIII are related with the story, with Lucas selling the franchise to Disney, with Rian Johnson not understanding what Star Wars is and means, with a terrible misconception from Disney about the fandom, and with the returning of JJ Abrams TO FIX the mess Diney did when they let Johnson take control of the story ( that Johnson filled with... NOTHING).

Abrams started (and continued the story) with the great story arc of the Skywalkers in mind in Episode VII, with many stuff from his own but guided by some ideas he got from Lucas. Then Disney ****** up everything with Johnson, who CHANGED all that Abrams got in mind and make the mess of Episode VIII TLJ with all that nonsense. NOw, when Disney was really aware that the fans were really angry at them, they called Abrams again and give him the job of FIXING the mess. And Abrams rewrote big parts of the script and the story to recover the plot and story arc as it was intended when he started the new trilogy.

Some say he tried his best.

I will wait for the film. And Im very hyped about it. Willing to enjoy the GRAND FINALE.

Peace, fellows.
  • lol at the “fans” still hating on the sequels and this movie when it hasn’t even come out!! You “fans” are the best 😂
  • Liz4rD
    996 posts Member
    Cadoth wrote: »

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

In that case it was basically Obi’s ghost and the “will of the force” that did everything, I mean Luke pretty much just hits the button

Erm, thats is CHANNELING, and Jedis, my friend, are not more than ppl who channel the Force more and best that normal ppl.

Obi said: USE THE FORCE LUKE. Obi did nothing, Luke did when he used the Force. I thought it was pretty clear when watching the film.
  • Piscettios
    5814 posts Member
    edited April 13
    lol at the “fans” still hating on the sequels and this movie when it hasn’t even come out!! You “fans” are the best 😂

Well it’s a trilogy with a story continuation. If I or others think the characters suck and people have no vested interest they can’t be blamed. I don’t see anyone that’s not pumped for it, slighting other ‘fans’ that are.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Cadoth
    1058 posts Member
    Cadoth wrote: »

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Erm, thats is CHANNELING, and Jedis, my friend, are not more than ppl who channel the Force more and best that normal ppl.

Obi said: USE THE FORCE LUKE. Obi did nothing, Luke did when he used the Force. I thought it was pretty clear when watching the film.

Yeah, I know jedi and force users in general can channel the force(I know I’m not the smartest person on earth but I’m not that dumb😬🤠)but Luke didn’t do all alone like Rey always does and incredibly succeed.
  • Liz4rD
    996 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Luke was already a good pilot. The Force just gave him the plus he needed. He also had a little training with Obi-wan.
    While Rey made a mid-trick after hearing about the Force exists. How on God's Earth she even know that can be done with the Force?

A little training wich was plainly not enough even to be called a padawan. Any padawan could have beaten Luke's butt, because the knoweledge Luke had about the Force was minimum, but being a SKYWALKER and thus strong in the Force, possibly more than most of the Jedis before him, was more important than being trained. THE SAME AS REY who apparently is another individual with an unique connection to the Force. If Luke could destroy the Death Star, Rey can do jedi mind tricks. Pure 'force' logic.
  • Just realised my last post was meant to be quoting meshugene89 rather thanStarWars0525.
  • Liz4rD wrote: »

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

A little training wich was plainly not enough even to be called a padawan. Any padawan could have beaten Luke's butt, because the knoweledge Luke had about the Force was minimum, but being a SKYWALKER and thus strong in the Force, possibly more than most of the Jedis before him, was more important than being trained. THE SAME AS REY who apparently is another individual with an unique connection to the Force. If Luke could destroy the Death Star, Rey can do jedi mind tricks. Pure 'force' logic.

I can't disagree with you. I think people are getting a little too precious over this.

There are plenty more story issues with episode 8 that need explaining than Rey's force power.. which... To be honest.. none of us are qualified to argue effectively as we have no idea of her back story.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

I can't disagree with you. I think people are getting a little too precious over this.

There are plenty more story issues with episode 8 that need explaining than Rey's force power.. which... To be honest.. none of us are qualified to argue effectively as we have no idea of her back story.

If Star Wars fans now were around for Empire they would be posting for three years about how director Irving Kirshner ruined Star Wars because he froze Han in carbonite and how Darth Vader being Luke's father was a silly tacked on twist.

Then the next movie would come around and they'd be like, THANK GOD the retconned the Han carbonite thing. That was such a terrible decision.
  • bfloo
    15027 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Luke actually believed he could do it because he hit similar sized targets all the time.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• budzai wrote: »

No it doesn't. There can be no light without dark so simply wiping out one side doesn't create balance because it will always be there in one form or another. What you have to do to obtain true balance is acknowledge both the light and dark within yourself and find the balance between the two, to know that it's OK to express some raw emotion every now and then but not go too far as well as being kind, empathetic and helpful to others when necessary.
    The problem with the Jedi being so pure was that they never dealt with the darker side of their emotions, they never allowed them out even a little bit, which is what makes the dark side so overwhelming and tempting to them because they don't know how to control this side of themselves. The SIth, on the other hand, would allow the darkness to consume so thoroughly that they couldn't feel anything good or any other positive emotions anymore. This is why true balance is achieved by finding that middle ground between the light and dark within and having the self-control to not go too far to one side.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

No, his intuition (the force) told him when to fire. That's all. Moreover, he needed Obi Wan to 'remind' him about the force and Han to clear his six o'clock.

No it doesn't. There can be no light without dark so simply wiping out one side doesn't create balance because it will always be there in one form or another. What you have to do to obtain true balance is acknowledge both the light and dark within yourself and find the balance between the two, to know that it's OK to express some raw emotion every now and then but not go too far as well as being kind, empathetic and helpful to others when necessary.
    The problem with the Jedi being so pure was that they never dealt with the darker side of their emotions, they never allowed them out even a little bit, which is what makes the dark side so overwhelming and tempting to them because they don't know how to control this side of themselves. The SIth, on the other hand, would allow the darkness to consume so thoroughly that they couldn't feel anything good or any other positive emotions anymore. This is why true balance is achieved by finding that middle ground between the light and dark within and having the self-control to not go too far to one side.

Exactly..

Light = pussies
    Dark= a**holes

Need to be somewhere in the middle. Good life lesson.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

She did it instinctively. She even remarks on it to some extent.
    All the "Mary Sue" whiners seem to have had their ears switched off during TLJ when Snoke tells Kylo that the stronger he gets, so the stronger Rey will become. He is referring to the fact (hinted at in the title The Force Awakens) that the Force itself is using Rey as a tool. When the Force is in balance, to use it requires a lot of training, because whichever side you're on, you're taking the balance a bit out of kilter by using it yourself. With Kylo and Snoke becoming strong with the Dark Side, a corresponding surge of the Light Side HAS to happen. Try and pay attention to the dialogue next time, jeez.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Actually it's not above what Rey did, it's actually totally in line with canon.
    Luke was a skilled pilot much like his father and something we learned from Ep I was that force sensitives made for excellent pilots because as Qui-Gon said of Anakin, "He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It's a Jedi trait." What Luke basically did was rely on his instincts, to trust himself to know what to do, to feel when it was the right time to fire his proton torpedoes, and that's not something that required special training because it was his natural force-sensitive ability.
    My Concepts
  • Trailer is meant to mislead and direct you in to thinking it's all about Rey. I don't think she is a skywalker. Ben is the son of Leia, Leia is Luke's sister and she only had the name Organa because of adoption. It's about Ben Solo, Kylo Ren under the guidance from force ghost Palpatine.
  • budzai
    101 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

There is a differences between using the Force passively or actively. Luke barley could pull the hilt from the snow (after blowing the death star) while Rey did it even against Kylo's pull, who was a well trained, strong Force use. It is ridiculous. So Rey is Marry Sue and anyone says otherwise don't understand Star Wars.
    People who likes the sequel trilogy don't care about anything but seeing OT similar settings and that is enough for them. Like the guy who sees a hot chick and want to marry her instantly.

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

All the "Mary Sue" whiners seem to have had their ears switched off during TLJ when Snoke tells Kylo that the stronger he gets, so the stronger Rey will become. He is referring to the fact (hinted at in the title The Force Awakens) that the Force itself is using Rey as a tool. When the Force is in balance, to use it requires a lot of training, because whichever side you're on, you're taking the balance a bit out of kilter by using it yourself. With Kylo and Snoke becoming strong with the Dark Side, a corresponding surge of the Light Side HAS to happen. Try and pay attention to the dialogue next time, jeez.

Which is a cheap narrative device to make Rey stronger in a shorter space of time. If this were the case that the force randomly selects someone to represent one side or the other when it needs to, why has it never happened before in the history of Star Wars canon? I get that new things are added to the canon all the time and that's their perogative, but this? And why exactly does Kylo getting stronger make her stronger? Kylo's already a stong force-wielder and has been for years, so why is it only now that his strength is somehow boosting Rey? The whole "force tether" thing that Snoke apparently did? Another cheap, lazy move to get Rey to a point where she's super powerful without actually showing how she got there through proper training.
    Like I said, the whole thing with her performing force abilities literally hours after finding out the Jedi and force was all real is just a cheap bit of writing to make Rey stronger without having to spend the same amount of time building her up as they've built up every other force-wielding character.
    My Concepts
  • budzai
    101 posts Member

It is cute that you think you know it better than Lucas himself.
  • I am out unless it is suddenly revealed that Luke actually slipped off of the rock and is still alive.
  • C'mon. We all know how it's really going to end
    gyng0knmcbme.jpg

@Finest_Banana
    ^^^
    This may be the best thing I have ever seen. The real laughter at the end.
    "I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Piloting a starfighter or really any kind of vehicle is established in canon as being a trait of force-sensitives, specifically strong force-sensitives who could go on to become Jedi or Sith. It has nothing to do with Luke being a Skywalker. Their connection to the force allows them to instintively see things before they happen on an subconscious level which helps control their actions and manifests itself as having quick reflexes.
    A Jedi mind trick is a learned ability that takes a lot of training in the force to learn how to do, you don't just instinctively know what it is or how to do it. Even pulling and pushing with the force is something that takes a long time to learn, so Rey shouldn't feasibly have been able to do any of those things if she is indeed someone who's never used the force once in her life before TFA, as we're led to believe.
    My Concepts
  • EventHorizionOH
    1370 posts Member
    edited April 13
    Also, my assumption The rise of Skywalker is probably Kylo embracing his Skywalker lineage. I think he has been removed from the scene in front of the Death Star. But that's me.

You know, like how they did the HULK in Avengers trailer.

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH
  • budzai
    101 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Jesus help me....

Then why didn't the Force use Anakin that way? You know the guy who was created to bring balance in the Force? Why didn't he become as strong as Palpatine instantly? Next time may be you should realise there were 6 films before this sequel monstrosities ( it would have been nice if KK and her "workers" had remembered that too) which founded the SW's rules that should be followed....
    But I bet they retcon it and Rey will be the chosen one. "The Force is female." after all.
  • C'mon. We all know how it's really going to end
    gyng0knmcbme.jpg

@Finest_Banana Also again, can't get over it. Best thing ever.

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH

You should've watched the Rebels Remembered panel they just had because Dave Filoni pretty much said the exact same thing that I did and he was George's protégé. Also, George Lucas has never explicitly said what "balance" means. He even threw in that line in Ep III about the prophecy being "misread". But even without knowing George's meaning, the word "balance" does not mean that there's only one side, it means "a situation in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions", so how exactly does not having the dark side equal balance? You have to have both the light and dark but find the "correct proportions" of both in order to have balance.
    My Concepts
  • this forum is cancer - give the movie a chance and wait till you watch it. Then after that if you dont like it you can continue being a big man baby.

Everyone has unique movie preferences. Why not wait to hear what friends and/or family say about the movie? Movie theaters are expensive.

80n94dent4rb.jpg

$12 to see a movie for me,
    anyone can afford that. Plus you should watch it before you hear everyone's opinions. Only yours matter to you.

I hated ep 8 but am willing to give 9 a go. If its bad, so what if its great even better. Everyone will watch this movie its the last installment for the skywalker trilogy.

It costs even more for those going with family (or friends). Plus, we all know how expensive food is at theaters.
    My name is Bob

• budzai
    101 posts Member

You should've watched the Rebels Remembered panel they just had because Dave Filoni pretty much said the exact same thing that I did and he was George's protégé. Also, George Lucas has never explicitly said what "balance" means. He even threw in that line in Ep III about the prophecy being "misread". But even without knowing George's meaning, the word "balance" does not mean that there's only one side, it means "a situation in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions", so how exactly does not having the dark side equal balance? You have to have both the light and dark but find the "correct proportions" of both in order to have balance.

Dave after that stupid time travel thing lost any credibility in my eyes.

• Terrible movie title. Guessing rey is going to be revealed as a Skywalker.

But if thats true, will Rey lose an appendage in this film? I doubt it since that should have happened in the second film of this trilogy, but then it was Rian Johnson also so I dunno...
  • GoldSaw wrote: »
    The trailer pretty much solidified just how much I don't care for the new trilogy. All the good things about that trailer are things from the original trilogy.

dude spot on, i also hate the new trilogy.
  • DarthJ
    6457 posts Member

The FuTuRe iS FEmaLE

Yeesh.

Which is a cheap narrative device to make Rey stronger in a shorter space of time. If this were the case that the force randomly selects someone to represent one side or the other when it needs to, why has it never happened before in the history of Star Wars canon? I get that new things are added to the canon all the time and that's their perogative, but this? And why exactly does Kylo getting stronger make her stronger? Kylo's already a stong force-wielder and has been for years, so why is it only now that his strength is somehow boosting Rey? The whole "force tether" thing that Snoke apparently did? Another cheap, lazy move to get Rey to a point where she's super powerful without actually showing how she got there through proper training.
    Like I said, the whole thing with her performing force abilities literally hours after finding out the Jedi and force was all real is just a cheap bit of writing to make Rey stronger without having to spend the same amount of time building her up as they've built up every other force-wielding character.

Agreed, I say this all the time and no-one can give me a decent answer. The sole reason the 'dark side gets powerful, light does also' thing is to make Rey uber powerful without doing anything. Like you said, how come the force has never did this before? Why wasnt Luke instantly as powerful as Vader and Palpatine combined? Why wasn't Anakin as powerful as Dooku and Palpatine combined, or Maul and Palpatine? No, he needed 10 years training. Luke also received training. Rey somehow doesnt?

And before anyone says it, its not because she is female the reason I dont really care about her. I would be the exact same if it were a male character. Its because she has not had any hardships to speak of at all so far. She bested this trilogies villain in the first film of the trilogy for crying out loud. Since this film is said to be the last about the Skywalkers, it sounds like he will be beaten in this one too. So she will never have a hard time at all.
    PSN: ibrajoker59

Dave after that stupid time travel thing lost any credibility in my eyes.

Dave has still has more knowledge about about Star Wars and what it actually means than most people working at Lucasfilm right now because of his tutelage under George Lucas, so I'll still listen to and take on board anything he has to say.
    Regarding that video about Anakin being the Chosen One, George is saying that in regard to the first 6 movies when there were just 6 movies so he's obviously not going to say that he isn't the Chosen One since it wasn't known at the time if there would be more movies. However, I'm not saying that he isn't the Chosen One, or that Rey is the Chosen One, or that I want her to be, but that there may be something to Yoda's comment about the prophecy being "misread".
    The assumption of the prophecy is that defeating the Sith by itself brings balance and that only having the light side, the Jedi, is that balance which is why Luke set out to start a new Jedi Order, yet depsite that the darkness rose again. But, as I've been saying, true balance could be finding that equal point between both sides of the force where you're neither fully light or fully dark. So perhaps the prophecy could actually be referring to someone who does defeat the Sith, because they're the most destructive to the force, and then goes on to be a balancing focal point for the force, to take both light and dark within them and balance them out equally.
    My Concepts