criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Kashyyyk confirmed as the new Capital Supremacy map/player population up to 2017 levels again

Prev1
ZephanUnbound
3078 posts Member
edited April 16

Charlemagne revealed it on Discord it seems. It was also revealed by Dennis that the player population now is as high as it was at launch November 2017.

Replies

• Hesha
    510 posts Member
    edited April 16
    Was hoping it was going to be Naboo but whatevs, can’t wait to see how beautiful the map is going to look!
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    Empire_TW wrote: »
    "Dennis that the player population now is as high as it was at launch November 2017"

From the same people who say EoR MM makes the game better, duplicate cards would yield crafting parts, a droidika being a crashed speeder, who have stated that they have fixed Maul's saber throw, etc.

I should think you would want the news to be true. The player population increasing can only mean good things. More people playing means more people buying crystals, and the more money that EA makes, the more likely they are to staff up the DLC team. A larger DLC team would mean more content for all eras, and more content of all types, from weapons to maps to vehicles to reinforcements to heroes.

That optimism is a breath of welcome fresh air, to be sure. But then, knowing these people, I'll just believe in the better things when I actually see them.

Until then, so long as I have my premade, I can still enjoy the odd match here and there.

I have pretty much the same stance on this. I honestly don't expect them to add anymore substantial content. They're welcome to surprise me, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
  • Hesha
    510 posts Member
    The player population being up is good news for sure. Dennis recently hinted in another post that the plan at DICE moving forward would be fewer sequels, with longer DLC support for each game. EA might just staff up the Battlefront 2 DLC team with the population back to where it used to be.

I really hope that is the case, just imagine how amazing the DLC would be if they had a bigger team to work with.
  • Awesome! Can't wait to see what they do with Kashyyk. I hope it includes a capture point inside the Venator on the ground.

Population numbers back up to 2017 launch levels is a huge surprise. I knew they were rising, but that's well beyond what I thought. I hope that means EA will give them more staff so they can churn out more content and faster.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    "Dennis that the player population now is as high as it was at launch November 2017"

From the same people who say EoR MM makes the game better, duplicate cards would yield crafting parts, a droidika being a crashed speeder, who have stated that they have fixed Maul's saber throw, etc.

I should think you would want the news to be true. The player population increasing can only mean good things. More people playing means more people buying crystals, and the more money that EA makes, the more likely they are to staff up the DLC team. A larger DLC team would mean more content for all eras, and more content of all types, from weapons to maps to vehicles to reinforcements to heroes.

The player population being up (if indeed it is) doesn't necessarily mean that the majority are new players. They could be players who stopped playing once they maxed out everything but got bored with there being no new content for months, or they could be people who stopped playing after just a few months.
    There's also no guarantee that new players or returning players are buying crystals. After all, the only thing you can use crystal for are cosmetics, you can't boost your characters with them. So most people either won't be bothered to buy crystals since frequent play will eventually get the credits necessary for a few cosmetics and once they have their favourites, they likely won't buy anymore with their credits.
    If DICE want to remove all doubt, they should produce some evidence of monthly player numbers from launch until now and even disclose just how much money this game has made from sales and MTXs because they're being a lot more coy about it than they were with the previous game. I seem to recall infographics for BF2015 that mentioned player numbers and how well the game's sales had performed yet we've never seen anything like that for this game.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • unit900000
    3555 posts Member
    edited April 17
    trash map and I find the player count thing to be a load of crap seeing how me and a bunch of my friends dont play much anymore why would we play when every mode is trash for some reason or another?
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • ZephanUnbound
    3078 posts Member
    edited April 17

The player population being up (if indeed it is) doesn't necessarily mean that the majority are new players. They could be players who stopped playing once they maxed out everything but got bored with there being no new content for months, or they could be people who stopped playing after just a few months.
    There's also no guarantee that new players or returning players are buying crystals. After all, the only thing you can use crystal for are cosmetics, you can't boost your characters with them. So most people either won't be bothered to buy crystals since frequent play will eventually get the credits necessary for a few cosmetics and once they have their favourites, they likely won't buy anymore with their credits.
    If DICE want to remove all doubt, they should produce some evidence of monthly player numbers from launch until now and even disclose just how much money this game has made from sales and MTXs because they're being a lot more coy about it than they were with the previous game. I seem to recall infographics for BF2015 that mentioned player numbers and how well the game's sales had performed yet we've never seen anything like that for this game.

DICE has insinuated in other posts that alot of them are new players though, people who were waiting on PT content before they bought the game. If they are new players, they won't have hundreds of thousands of credits banked up like us veterans do, which means that they have to either grind for awhile or buy crystals if they want the skins that are already in the game.

If you ask me, the fact that DICE made the heroes free recently is a good indication that DICE is confident that the new players will buy skins with crystals, before they were using heroes to keep new players from saving up enough credits to buy skins, now they're not. I don't think they'd do something that would potentially cut into EA's profits without good reason, because EA likes to pull the plug on games that are no longer profitable.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »

DICE has insinuated in other posts that alot of them are new players though, people who were waiting on PT content before they bought the game. If they are new players, they won't have hundreds of thousands of credits banked up like us veterans do, which means that they have to either grind for awhile or buy crystals if they want the skins that are already in the game.

If you ask me, the fact that DICE made the heroes free recently is a good indication that DICE is confident that the new players will buy skins with crystals, before they were using heroes to keep new players from saving up enough credits to buy skins, now they're not. I don't think they'd do something that would potentially cut into EA's profits without good reason.

Making heroes free sounds more like an incentive to play the game since you don't have to spend time grinding for credits or buy crystals. Having instant access is much more appealing for people.
    As for the skins, if there's anybody out there who buys this game then buys enough crystals for every single skin in the game, they have more money than sense. Besides, with a game like this people are more likely to settle on one look for their infantry and heroes and stick with it. Those who have a favourite clone legion will get that and only use that, similarly with hero skins if someone likes Obi-Wan's General skin then they'll get that but not his Jedi Robes skin. If they do get this with crystals, it''ll likely be a one time purchase so this still doesn't seem like a sustainable model.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • Riddle me this negative Nelly's:

Why in the world would DICE want to lie about the player population growing recently? I'm sure they know that news of the population growing will lead a large portion of the playerbase to have higher expectations for future DLC output speed. Why in the world would they want even higher expectations placed on their team than their already are? The weight on their shoulders must already feel crippling, in recent months their small team of maybe 20 people tops have been under the pressure from fans of 3 different eras to deliver content for them, why would they want even more pressure from the fans unless they knew they could deliver on the higher expectations?

Maybe because they know that EA leadership is allocating more developers to the DLC team. Y'all can choose to be cynical if you like, but I will choose to be cautiously optimistic.

because the devs are stupid in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they just looked at the numbers wrong this is DICE we are talking about here they just looked at the numbers wrong (they are just that stupid seriously I have no faith in these clowns) or they are lieing for whatever dumb reason they came up with to justifie doing so.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • Does anyone know if this is a new Kashyyyk map or if they’re using the existing one?
  • The player population being up is good news for sure. Dennis recently hinted in another post that the plan at DICE moving forward would be fewer sequels, with longer DLC support for each game. EA might just staff up the Battlefront 2 DLC team with the population back to where it used to be.

We can only hope that they allocate more devs. Just think of what they'll be able to do with more manpower...
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Bad_Tooth wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is a new Kashyyyk map or if they’re using the existing one?

I sure hope it's a new map.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png

Why in the world would DICE want to lie about the player population growing recently? I'm sure they know that news of the population growing will lead a large portion of the playerbase to have higher expectations for future DLC output speed. Why in the world would they want even higher expectations placed on their team than their already are? The weight on their shoulders must already feel crippling, in recent months their small team of maybe 20 people tops have been under the pressure from fans of 3 different eras to deliver content for them, why would they want even more pressure from the fans unless they knew they could deliver on the higher expectations?

Maybe because they know that EA leadership is allocating more developers to the DLC team. Y'all can choose to be cynical if you like, but I will choose to be cautiously optimistic.

Because it wasn't a lie, it was a half-truth. What I can infer from Charlemagne's tweet is that the population level recently matched that of the 2nd highest level since launch, but when you word it as "back to 2017 levels" that makes it sound better than it is because it makes people think they're talking about launch numbers. They also don't mention if this is consistent numbers as of late or if it was a spike in player numbers when the new mode was launched.
    Again, this whole thing needs more clarity and if DICE provided the actual figures then that would do a lot better than marketing-speak

Agreed ^
    My name is Bob

• Working as intended. I got a bridge to sell you.
    Does anyone know if this is a new Kashyyyk map or if they’re using the existing one?

I would assume new. Capital Supremacy seems to require symmetry, and the Kashyyyk GA map isn’t really symmetrical enough to be reused imo.
  • This gets my hopes for this game up.
    Where's the offline content?
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

I would assume new. Capital Supremacy seems to require symmetry, and the Kashyyyk GA map isn’t really symmetrical enough to be reused imo.

I sure hope it's new. I wonder where they'd put it?
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • I like the point @meshugene89 brought up. It may have only been a temporary spike. BF17 had briefly spiked as high as I've seen it in months. It's impossible to know for sure without concrete stats.

The devs could prove it by providing statistics, such as a chart of 24 hr peak playercount by day. Total players per day would also help.
    My name is Bob

I hope somewhere radically different from the current beach map. I would like to see something in the forests of Kashyyyk personally. If it is beach again, would be cool if they copied the Kashyyyk map from Battlefront 2 2005, but made it a bit bigger. The Battlefront 2 2005 map was actually based on the location of the Kashyyyk battle in episode 3.

I hope somewhere radically different from the current beach map. I would like to see something in the forests of Kashyyyk personally. If it is beach again, would be cool if they copied the Kashyyyk map from Battlefront 2 2005, but made it a bit bigger. The Battlefront 2 2005 map was actually based on the location of the Kashyyyk battle in episode 3.

Ooh.. the forests would be awesome.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • meshugene89
    3725 posts Member
    edited April 17
    Bad_Tooth wrote: »

If it was going to be new it would've said "new" on the roadmap, like how the Geonosis Pipeline is referred to as "new". However, all the upcoming maps are referred to as "existing".
    My Concepts

If it was going to be new it would've said "new" on the roadmap, like how the Geonosis Pipeline is referred to as "new". However, all the upcoming maps are referred to as "existing".

Hmm. Perhaps they mean existing like the planet already exists? I’d be disappointed by the same map.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png

If they do reuse the GA map they will need to open up the sideways borders and add some additional map geometry. The current GA map is much too elongated to work imo. With a more circular map like Geonosis Pipeline West, for instance from C you can choose to run up the hill to E, go right to capture D, or go left to capture B. With an elongated GA map though, all 5 points will be in a line pretty much, which greatly limits your options for attacking other points. They will need to open up the borders and make the map wider for sure imo.

Hmm. Perhaps they mean existing like the planet already exists? I’d be disappointed by the same map.

You'd think that but...
    xsv8xosiysw5.pngf89shqqb705b.png
    Notice how they use the word "location" in place of "map" and how Geonosis Pipeline is a "new location" but the one this month is an "existing location"? Doesn't look promising now, does it?
    My Concepts

You'd think that but...
    Notice how they use the word "location" in place of "map" and how Geonosis Pipeline is a "new location" but the one this month is an "existing location"? Doesn't look promising now, does it?

Darn.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png

If they do reuse the GA map they will need to open up the sideways borders and add some additional map geometry. The current GA map is much too elongated to work imo. With a more circular map like Geonosis Pipeline West, for instance from C you can choose to run up the hill to E, go right to capture D, or go left to capture B. With an elongated GA map though, all 5 points will be in a line pretty much, which greatly limits your options for attacking other points. They will need to open up the borders and make the map wider for sure imo.

Which is likely what they'll do; take the GA maps, section off a large part of it, add some environmental clutter and command posts and voila! Another map for CS that's just an existing GA map with a few extra bits added on. And even though it's the bare minimum of work, the cheerleading Redditors will still get down on their knees and shower them with fawning praise.
    My Concepts

You'd think that but...

Darn.

Let's face it, between developing the new mode, the capital ship interiors, a massive Geonosis map, the AT-TE, the Enforcer reinforcements, and all the heroes, it's hard to see how they've had the time or resources to make an entirely new map for each CW location. If they have, I'll be very surprised, but it feels like the easiest thing for them is to just take each GA map and add some stuff to them.
    My Concepts
  • Will the ship phase for the new locations use the current ship maps?
  • Will the ship phase for the new locations use the current ship maps?

Yes. The capital ship interiors will be the same as what we have now.
    My Concepts
  • The game is $7. Reduced costs, new mode, infiltrators, The Broken One. Free heroes.
    Anywho.... that being said and as someone who does genuinely want to see this game improve, I do hope, not high hope but some hope, that CS Kashyyyk, will be a better experience than CS Geonosis was.

#MoreStarWars-y
    #StarWars-y

If they believed it they'd have to walk back the narrative that Clone Wars content is ruining the game LOL!!

I think they could do well if they opened up the whole GA map. The Republic starts inside the Venator. The Separatists come off the beach. The wrecked Juggernauts along the beach are far enough apart and give good cover to be candidates for capture points. The huts on the side could house one or two. The tall grass area has plenty of spots that could make good capture points. We will see what they decide, but I think it will be great.
  • TjPunx
    1599 posts Member
    You can thanks that uptick in players from Anakin, till they nerf him yet again, and player count drops
  • DarthJ
    6760 posts Member

I would want that to be true, but with Dennis' history of proclamations, I think its wise that some here are treating this warily, rather than 'woo Dennis love you!'
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • JediPacoElFlaco
    1475 posts Member
    edited April 17
    If this month update is only the Kashyyyk map in CS, it will be disappointing!!

Minimun some new skins...please

1bfioawlu399.png
  • If this month update is only the Kashyyyk map in CS, it will be disappointing!!

I don't recall the roadmap, but wasn't Maul and Yoda's block scheduled this month too?
  • If this month update is only the Kashyyyk map in CS, it will be disappointing!!

I don't recall the roadmap, but wasn't Maul and Yoda's block scheduled this month too?