criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Commander Cody would make more sense as a hero than Rex-and this is why

Prev1
All right guys, here me out. Captain Rex was introduced in the show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and is a leader of one of the most iconic Clone Legions, and is one of the most iconic clones. He's been explored the most, and he's hands down the best choice for a clone hero in this game, right?

No. While most of us, including me, would love to see Rex in the game, Cody would be a better choice. My reasoning is that Cody is more by the book, and more of a military leader than Rex. Cody has the military mindset, and gets the job done, strictly following orders, even if it means killing someone close to him.

In a nutshell: Cody is more "military", and this is Star Wars: Battlefront, where Star Wars military is the center of the game.

But I would love Rex as a hero as well, don't get me wrong.

Thoughts? Disagree? Agree?
Where's the offline content?
ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

Replies

• All right guys, here me out. Captain Rex was introduced in the show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and is a leader of one of the most iconic Clone Legions, and is one of the most iconic clones. He's been explored the most, and he's hands down the best choice for a clone hero in this game, right?

No. While most of us, including me, would love to see Rex in the game, Cody would be a better choice. My reasoning is that Cody is more by the book, and more of a military leader than Rex. Cody has the military mindset, and gets the job done, strictly following orders, even if it means killing someone close to him.

In a nutshell: Cody is more "military", and this is Star Wars: Battlefront, where Star Wars military is the center of the game.

I would like cody better, im not a huge fan of the tv shows
  • bfloo
    14546 posts Member
    lowell wrote: »
    All right guys, here me out. Captain Rex was introduced in the show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and is a leader of one of the most iconic Clone Legions, and is one of the most iconic clones. He's been explored the most, and he's hands down the best choice for a clone hero in this game, right?

The difference between Rex and Cody is one kept their inhibitor chip and one took it out. Cody and Obi-Wan had a great relationship but the control of Palpatine using Order 66 override Cody's control on whether to kill Obi-Wan or not.
    Rex does have an advantage in that he is technically a cross-era character when he was in Rebels and also attaining the rank of Commander after fighting at the Battle of Endor. With Cody, we don't know what happened to him. What was said in Rebels when Kanan and Rex infiltrated an Interdictor was that decommissioned clones became stormtrooper instructors and when Rex talked to the officer on the Interdictor, he said Rex could be an instructor if he betrayed the Rebellion. So I'm guessing Cody was decommissioned and became an Imperial Academy instructor post-ROTS.

There was an Order to take down the Chancellor as well, I think Order 65.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• lowell wrote: »

The difference between Rex and Cody is one kept their inhibitor chip and one took it out. Cody and Obi-Wan had a great relationship but the control of Palpatine using Order 66 override Cody's control on whether to kill Obi-Wan or not.
    Rex does have an advantage in that he is technically a cross-era character when he was in Rebels and also attaining the rank of Commander after fighting at the Battle of Endor. With Cody, we don't know what happened to him. What was said in Rebels when Kanan and Rex infiltrated an Interdictor was that decommissioned clones became stormtrooper instructors and when Rex talked to the officer on the Interdictor, he said Rex could be an instructor if he betrayed the Rebellion. So I'm guessing Cody was decommissioned and became an Imperial Academy instructor post-ROTS.

As of Order 66, the clones still had some control over their minds, so if Cody was like Rex he would've hesitated. And in RotS he didn't hesistate.

As of the rest of his story, all that Wookieepedia states in canon is "Fifteen years after the rise of the Galactic Empire, many of the codes and emergency protocols that Cody and Rex had come up with during the Clone Wars were still used by the Empire." https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/CC-2224

As of his non-canon story:
    "Soon after Order 66, Palpatine's rise to power was completed with his ascension as Emperor of the first Galactic Empire. As a result of the Grand Army's reorganization into the Stormtrooper Corps, Commander Cody and the remaining clone troopers who survived the Clone Wars composed the first generation of Imperial stormtroopers. Ultimately, Cody remained in service to the New Order for years. In that time, he witnessed the rise in recruitment of birth-born Humans as enlisted troopers, which in turn led to the decline and marginalization of the original Jango Fett clones.

By the year 1 BBY, Commander Cody was in charge of an Imperial Battalion that was stationed in Timira City, one of the cloning facilities located on his homeworld of Kamino. In addition to providing security to the facility, he regularly tested his soldiers with drill exercises, only to be profoundly disappointed by the enlisted troopers under his command. Likewise, the men were not particularly fond of the Commander's leadership style. One recruit expressed his disdain—a sentiment shared by his comrades—for patrol duty. To the troopers, patrolling Timira City was not only unnecessary due to Kamino's heavily fortified condition; it was extremely aggravating because of the seemingly endless rain and thunderstorms. In sum, the inhospitable climate conditions of Kamino and Cody's bitter attitude produced a significantly low troop morale among the men.

Around the same time, the Imperials failed to prevent one of Darth Vader's test subjects—a rogue clone of the original Starkiller—from escaping Kamino in the Dark Lord's own TIE fighter. The clone later returned at the head of the Alliance Fleet, hence resulting in the Assault on Kamino. The Imperial garrison in Timira City was ultimately wiped out and Vader himself was captured by the Rebel Alliance, thus marking the Rebellion's first major victory in the Galactic Civil War, and leaving Cody's fate ambiguous." https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/CC-2224/Legends

ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • bfloo wrote: »

In Legends, there are actually 150 orders, including 66 and 65. But in canon, I'm pretty sure 66 is the only one.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • lowell
    628 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

It would be cool if the canon showed that Order 65 become a failed attempt maybe as a comic post-ROTS. Maybe Cody and his squad modified their chips and attack Palpatine but either Vader got in their way or Palpatine killed them with lightning.

Do you think the Bad Batch had their chips taken out in order to become the supersoldiers they are?
  • lowell wrote: »

It would be cool if the canon showed that Order 65 become a failed attempt maybe as a comic post-ROTS. Maybe Cody and his squad modified their chips and attack Palpatine but either Vader got in their way or Palpatine killed them with lightning.

Do you think the Bad Batch had their chips taken out in order to become the supersoldiers they are?

No, they are supersoldiers because they were purposely made like that in the Kamino Labs.
    As Wookieepedia (https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Clone_Force_99)
    states:
    Clone Force 99 originated as a batch of clones who were born with "desirable" genetic mutations that made them superior soldiers. These mutations also had the unique effect of altering their appearance and voice greatly from regular clones. Each one of the members acquired certain abilities unique to the team. Due to their genetic mutations, unorthodox fighting tactics, and gung-ho behavior, they were nicknamed the "Bad Batch" within the Clone Army.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • But let's not get off-topic.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • CC_1010
    822 posts Member

My boy Cody. Yep, I would take him over Rex any day of the week. Although he is not as cool as Fox.
  • lowell
    628 posts Member
    edited April 20
    CC_1010 wrote: »

My boy Cody. Yep, I would take him over Rex any day of the week. Although he is not as cool as Fox.

Well, Fox didn't do well post-ROTS if you've read Marvel's Vader 2017 comic. But Rex eventually did earn the rank of commander in the Rebel Alliance and fought at Endor. So all 3 are on the same level of rank.
  • All right guys, here me out. Captain Rex was introduced in the show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and is a leader of one of the most iconic Clone Legions, and is one of the most iconic clones. He's been explored the most, and he's hands down the best choice for a clone hero in this game, right?

I disagree.
    If Obi-Wan and Anakin weren't yet in the game you could make the same argument using them. That "Obi-Wan is more by the book and more of a military leader than Anakin." always following orders and staying true to his code. While Anakin often disobeys orders and is a character that isn't by the book at all. However, I don't think most people would agree that that's a reason to exclude Anakin from the game, or that that makes him less of a leader. The same applies to Rex and Cody. Fun fact, the reason for this is likely because Rex was the captain of the 501st(Anakin's legion) meaning that he frequently worked directly with Anakin, and Cody was the commander of the 212th(Obi-Wan's legion) meaning that he frequently worked directly with Obi-Wan, which resulted in them functioning somewhat similarly to their Jedi superiors.

I completely disagree with the statement that "Cody is more of a military leader than Rex", almost every time we see Rex he is leading the 501st, and not being by the book doesn't translate to not being a military leader. If he wasn't a strong military leader he wouldn't have been put in charge of one of the Republic's top legions. Rex was also considered one of the Republic's finest soldiers. The main difference between Rex and Cody is that Rex was a front-line leader and fighter while Cody was more of a strategist, and while he did see front-line combat, he didn't see as much of it as Rex. But when it comes to lore, this is a game... The abilities and gameplay that each character brings to the table carry more weight than the lore.

I'm going to go into the differences between Rex and Cody in terms of abilities and gameplay in a minute, but it is important to note that it is best for both of these characters to be in the game for the following reasons:

1. The Clone Wars Era needs more blaster heroes, adding 2 major clone characters opposed to just one would help significantly with this. On top of this Rex is the perfect opportunity for a Dual-wielding LS blaster hero.

2. Rex would give the Clone Wars Era a new offensive blaster hero while Cody would give it a new support hero

3. Clone heroes are significantly easier to make than other heroes as a lot of the model work is already done, so if they have the opportunity to introduce more than one they should take it.

4. Dee Bradley Baker is the voice for all of the clones, so only having to bring him into the studio once but being able to record voice lines for multiple characters is yet another opportunity the devs should take advantage of.

5. Both Rex and Cody are arguably the most popular clones in the Star Wars franchise, including both could bring some new players to the game and would satisfy a lot of current players.

As stated previously Rex would be an offensive blaster hero while Cody would be a support blaster hero. This coincides with the lore as Rex was often on the front-lines while Cody was more of a strategist.

Each hero in terms of gameplay and stats
    Both heroes would fall in line with most blaster heroes when it comes to health.

Captain Rex Concept:
    Health:
    Base Health: 650
    Base Health Regeneration: 150
    Health Regeneration Delay: 5 seconds
    Health Regeneration Speed: 50 health/s

Movement:
    Sprint Speed: 7 meters per second
    Max Jump Height: 2 meters
    Dodge Length: 4.75 meters

Weapon: Dual DC-17 blaster pistols(Same stats as Arc Trooper pistols)

Abilities:

Ability 1: Droid Poppers: An electricity-based grenade on a fuse that deals heavy damage to vehicles and gadgets, lower damage to infantry, and overheats blasters. Captain Rex has 3 of these, similar to how certain Jedi and Sith characters have 3 dashes. This grenade requires more precision than others.

Ability 2: Marksman: Captain Rex uses his range finder to track a target, increasing the power on his right-hand pistol and placing his right arm across his left to aim down sight and fire accurate long-distance shots at the expense of a slower firerate.

Ability 3: Agility: Captain Rex sprints while accurately firing his blaster pistols as we've seen him do countless times throughout the Clone Wars. Throughout the duration of this ability, Captain Rex has an increased sprinting speed and is able to fire his blaster pistols while sprinting.

Reasoning and Visual Examples:

Reasoning for Ability 1: Captain Rex has used "Droid Poppers" several times throughout the Clone Wars, this ability is unique in its required precision and is unlike any other grenade ability as it has 3 uses. As Captain Rex is an offensive character this ability fits his playstyle well. The grenade itself functions somewhat similarly to a cross between a thermal detonator and ion grenade, but with a smaller radius and an effect on blasters.
    giphy.gif

Reasoning for Ability 2: The Marksman ability makes use of Captain Rex's Range Finder, which he frequently uses throughout The Clone Wars. This also shows Captain Rex's prowess as a marksman. As Captain Rex is a dual-wield hero, this also gives him an ability that allows him to aim-down-sight while the ability is toggled, giving him long-range viability. In terms of gameplay, this would put a crosshair on the target you're aiming at or near that would follow the target, making it easier for the player to track them and line up their shot. As explained before, Captain Rex would switch to using 1 pistol which would have a low firerate, high accuracy, and high damage during the duration of the ability.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    (Notice how the range finder tracks targets)

Reasoning for Ability 3: This ability depicts Captain Rex's agility and skill with his blaster pistols. We've seen Captain Rex frequently and accurately use his blaster pistols while sprinting throughout the Clone Wars, and this is something that would work well as an ability for an offensive hero. This allows a player to sprint into action and play aggressively, keeping the pressure on the enemy.
    giphy.gif

Commander Cody Concept
    Health:
    Base Health: 650
    Base Health Regeneration: 150
    Health Regeneration Delay: 5 seconds
    Health Regeneration Speed: 50 health/s

Movement:
    Sprint Speed: 7 meters per second
    Max Jump Height: 2 meters
    Dodge Length: 4.75 meters

Weapon: DC-15s(Same firerate as default DC-15s, increased damage output of 20% of max damage, it should do 45 max damage) If they rather go with a weapon of a slower firerate they can choose the DC-15A, as Cody doesn't have a signature weapon)

Abilities:

Ability 1: Close Quarters: Commander Cody makes use of his proficiency in close quarters combat, using his blaster as a melee weapon delivering powerful melee strikes to his opposition.

Ability 2: For the Republic: Commander Cody inspires his teammates around him, increasing their health by 150 and increasing the recharge rate of their abilities in a 360 degree radius.

Ability 3: Strategist: Commander Cody spots and points out specific targets, displaying the target on his team's minimap, visually prompting his teammates to out the target, and causing the target to take increased damage. This ability can be used to target several enemies, however, each has to be individually spotted and the increased damage will be spread equally across the number of targets.

Reasoning and Visual Examples:

Reasoning for Ability 1: Cody canonically excels at close quarters combat, his kit is more geared toward medium range and such an ability allows him to be a better competitor in close range. In terms of gameplay this ability would function similarly to the Commando Droid's Vibroblade ability in having 3 strikes, but would do more damage(enough to 1 shot non-heavies) and have a slower animation. It would be capable of knocking enemies to the ground but would have little to no knockback effect.
    giphy.gif

Reasoning for Ability 2: Commander Cody is the best fit for a clone support hero. Often times he is overseeing the battle rather than being directly on the front lines, so lore-wise he makes sense in a support role. Cody's For the Republic ability is a team buff, helping the team push forward and stay near the hero, similarly to Finn's Big Deal. The main difference between Big Deal and For the Republic is that Finn's Big Deal gives his team damage reduction on top of the health buff while Cody's For the Republic would give his team increased recharge on abilities on top of the health buff, making it easier for them to bolster their offense.
    giphy.gif

Reasoning for Ability 3: Commander Cody is a strategist and commander, as such this ability fits him well by allowing the player to make strategic decisions and command teammates. This ability would allow the player to strategically select specific targets to be taken out by his team. Aiding in the elimination of priority opponents and allowing the player to tactically order their team to take out specific targets. And if you're concerned that teammates won't listen to the ability, the ability would put a target over the selected enemy to point them out to your teammates and give the teammate who kills the target extra battle points, incentivizing players to follow the order.
    giphy.gif

Not only are both of these characters fan favorites, but they are also characters that would function very differently in terms of gameplay when it comes to hero-type, weapons, and abilities. For these reasons, it doesn't make sense to choose between one or the other, similarly to how it wouldn't have made sense to choose between adding Anakin or Obi-Wan when it's best to have both. Both of these characters would be great additions to the game, fulfill different roles/playstyles, and add much-needed blaster heroes to the Clone Wars Era.
    "One may be outnumbered, but that doesn't mean they're outmatched."
  • RyanK388
    1464 posts Member
    Would commander Cody be a pistol user or a rifleman?
  • jordi1337
    1185 posts Member
    Disagree, Its not a military mindset, its called inhibitor chip. And if military mindset is the way to go, why is leia in this game? Rex should be in the game first, because he is more unique with his double wielding
  • CC_1010
    822 posts Member
    edited April 20
    CC_1010 wrote: »

Well, Fox didn't do well post-ROTS if you've read Marvel's Vader 2017 comic. But Rex eventually did earn the rank of commander in the Rebel Alliance and fought at Endor. So all 3 are on the same level of rank.

Fox and Cody were actually Clone marshal commanders. That means they are one or two ranks above GCW Rex
  • CC_1010
    822 posts Member
    RyanK388 wrote: »
    Would commander Cody be a pistol user or a rifleman?

He more often then not used rifles. He also has a jetpack.
  • RyanK388
    1464 posts Member
    edited April 20
    jordi1337 wrote: »
    Disagree, Its not a military mindset, its called inhibitor chip. And if military mindset is the way to go, why is leia in this game? Rex should be in the game first, because he is more unique with his double wielding

Well there is the fact that commander Cody had a movie appearance and Captain Rex is still technically a “3-D cartoon character”so having him in battlefront would be more in line with the canon and in the movies and all the other nonsense like that.

There is that whole retconning about Rex being that Santa looking dude during episode six in Return of the Jedi on the Endor Moon, you get a good look at his face “supposedly“ when Han taps for scout trooper’s shoulder and leads him into an ambush just around the corner is Rex and a bunch of rebel pathfinders pointing their guns angrily.

I’m sure you could find a picture of it, I’m on tablet and I’m still getting used to the difference in buttons or lack thereof, otherwise I’d post a picture myself.
    :edit:
    That Santa looking dude is called Nik Sant, and I think George Lucas meant him like an Easter egg character before the clones wars was ever a thing, I think it’s Dave Filoni who speculated that Nik Sant and Rex are the one in the same but he never made it an official retcon because, he didn’t want the power of retconning to go to his head and to technically erasing an already established character when he had the authority to slap the Seal of Canon on things
  • Doesn't Rex not being your cookie cutter officer make him better as a hero choice? I mean they are supposed to be cjatacterfull.
    Also he is cross era, which is always a +, especially for Skin choices. They could give h Skins for phase 1, 2 and rebel field gear (old).
    Also he might be a good close range blaster counterpart for Cad Bane.
  • bfloo
    14546 posts Member

So he'd be a glorified arc trooper...

Yay.

h846398gb27k.png

• REXCRAFT88
    29 posts Member
    edited April 20
    I would love to see both in the game, but the reasoning you use for having Cody in the game is confusing and I fail to see why it relates to prioritizing him over Rex. Dice adds people to the game because people want them not for some characteristics about the character.
  • RyanK388 wrote: »

Well there is the fact that commander Cody had a movie appearance and Captain Rex is still technically a “3-D cartoon character”so having him in battlefront would be more in line with the canon and in the movies and all the other nonsense like that.

There is that whole retconning about Rex being that Santa looking dude during episode six in Return of the Jedi on the Endor Moon, you get a good look at his face “supposedly“ when Han taps for scout trooper’s shoulder and leads him into an ambush just around the corner is Rex and a bunch of rebel pathfinders pointing their guns angrily.

I’m sure you could find a picture of it, I’m on tablet and I’m still getting used to the difference in buttons or lack thereof, otherwise I’d post a picture myself.

Ask and ye shall receive.
    0zzz2dvq0k4h.png
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • Alright, I get what you guys mean. What I meant by Cody being more "military" is his mindset. Rex often uses unconventional tactics (like his General, Anakin) and Cody follows protocol, like his General, (may I say it once?) General Kenobi. Also, two clone heroes would be repetitive (same as Jango and Padme), so yes, Captain Rex would be awesome for this game, but Cody would make more sense. Basically, Iden and Phasma are military characters, correct? They have that certain military mindset, the commanding presence. Arguably, with Cody's more by-the-book lookout on fights, he would be more conventional for a Battlefront game, but Rex would probably be more fun.

I'm not saying I like one over the other, in fact I probably like Rex more (big Clone Wars fan here), but Cody would make more sense in my opinion.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • jordi1337
    1185 posts Member

Yay.

So you want Cody, a glorified normal clone assault trooper
  • jordi1337 wrote: »

Yay.

Any clone hero would just be a glorified clone trooper.

That isn't the point of this discussion, though.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • jordi1337
    1185 posts Member

Yay.

Any clone hero would just be a glorified clone trooper.

That isn't the point of this discussion, though.

I know, he brought it up hence why I wrote that
  • bfloo
    14546 posts Member

Yay.

Nope

h846398gb27k.png

• Hard pass on either or these guys being heroes. Way more creative and iconic characters they could add as playable heroes. Even Piell is a better option than Cody or Rex.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
    Alright, I get what you guys mean. What I meant by Cody being more "military" is his mindset. Rex often uses unconventional tactics (like his General, Anakin) and Cody follows protocol, like his General, (may I say it once?) General Kenobi. Also, two clone heroes would be repetitive (same as Jango and Padme), so yes, Captain Rex would be awesome for this game, but Cody would make more sense. Basically, Iden and Phasma are military characters, correct? They have that certain military mindset, the commanding presence. Arguably, with Cody's more by-the-book lookout on fights, he would be more conventional for a Battlefront game, but Rex would probably be more fun.

I'm not saying I like one over the other, in fact I probably like Rex more (big Clone Wars fan here), but Cody would make more sense in my opinion.

2 clone heroes would be repetitive? In a game that includes the Clone Wars Era? They’d have very different weapons, completely different abilities, and visually be distinguished from each other... How is that repetitive but 2 Jedi aren’t? In fact there are Jedi in the game that have similar abilities to eachofher where Cody and Rex could function very differently. Not to mention all Jedi have extremely similar weapons but don’t end up feeling repetitive. Also a lot of people want a dual-wield blaster hero. Again, choosing between Rex or Cody is like choosing between Obi-Wan and Anakin. It’s best to have both, especially since there are so few blaster heroes for the clone wars era right now.
  • RyanK388
    1464 posts Member
    Rex could on a technicality be said to have been in the GCW but I don’t think he’ll get a discount when playing during the Civil war Era
  • Rex is definitely more likely imo. He appears in both shows, giving DICE more possible skins to release for him than for Cody. DICE has previously teased Rex as well.

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

No Helmet (20,000 credits)
    CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png
  • ZmanGames wrote: »
    Alright, I get what you guys mean. What I meant by Cody being more "military" is his mindset. Rex often uses unconventional tactics (like his General, Anakin) and Cody follows protocol, like his General, (may I say it once?) General Kenobi. Also, two clone heroes would be repetitive (same as Jango and Padme), so yes, Captain Rex would be awesome for this game, but Cody would make more sense. Basically, Iden and Phasma are military characters, correct? They have that certain military mindset, the commanding presence. Arguably, with Cody's more by-the-book lookout on fights, he would be more conventional for a Battlefront game, but Rex would probably be more fun.

2 clone heroes would be repetitive? In a game that includes the Clone Wars Era? They’d have very different weapons, completely different abilities, and visually be distinguished from each other... How is that repetitive but 2 Jedi aren’t? In fact there are Jedi in the game that have similar abilities to eachofher where Cody and Rex could function very differently. Not to mention all Jedi have extremely similar weapons but don’t end up feeling repetitive. Also a lot of people want a dual-wield blaster hero. Again, choosing between Rex or Cody is like choosing between Obi-Wan and Anakin. It’s best to have both, especially since there are so few blaster heroes for the clone wars era right now.

Lemme just throw this out there, don't bash me. I think that more than one clone hero would repetitive because they are CLONES. Completely same armor (besides color and design), physical appearance, voice, and for the most part, stats.
    The Anakin and Obi-Wan comparison shouldn't apply because they are two MAIN CHARACTERS in Star Wars, but I see what you mean with Rex and Cody being the most popular clones. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure two clone heroes would be repetitive, so I would rather have one. I would do two clone heroes if there is literally no other choice for that other clone wars hero.

For heroes as of the Clone Wars, I would like Ahsoka and Cody as two more heroes. Unless the Developers really ARE going for this game in the long run, I would only like one of the clones to be in the game, whether Rex and Cody. If they aren't in for the long run, I'm envisioning maybe two more clone wars heroes per side.

But it would still be repetitive, nevertheless. Cody would make more sense. I would prefer Cody to be in the game.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • Rex is definitely more likely imo. He appears in both shows, giving DICE more possible skins to release for him than for Cody. DICE has previously teased Rex as well.

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

Don't forget Phase 2 and:
    star-wars-captain-rex-rebels-nik-sant-return-of-the-jedi.jpg
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • ZephanUnbound
    1883 posts Member
    edited April 20
    Rex is definitely more likely imo. He appears in both shows, giving DICE more possible skins to release for him than for Cody. DICE has previously teased Rex as well.

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

Dang, I didn't realize that it was canon that Rex was in the Endor Strike Team. That's pretty cool.

Edit: Apparently, Dave Filoni originally planned to make Rex that character from ROTJ, but ultimately decided against it, since that character was already named (Nik Sant), so he didn't want to erase a previously canon character just to put Rex into ROTJ. So while it is said in Rebels finale episode that Rex was promoted to Commander within the Alliance military, and did fight at Endor, he is not the character in your picture, that character is still Nik Sant (who was possibly named after St Nicolas, Santa Claus, because of his white beard).

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

Dang, I didn't realize that it was canon that Rex was in the Endor Strike Team. That's pretty cool.

Sorry to ruin it, it's not official canon, though he WAS in the Battle of Endor. He just wasn't that dude. The guy on the right is Nik Sant, as fans have come to call him. The picture on the left is what I was contributing, and the picture on the right is probably similar to the stuff he wore during the Battle of Endor.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

Sorry to ruin it, it's not official canon, though he WAS in the Battle of Endor. He just wasn't that dude. The guy on the right is Nik Sant, as fans have come to call him. The picture on the left is what I was contributing, and the picture on the right is probably similar to the stuff he wore during the Battle of Endor.
    Disney retconned that. The guy on Endor with the beard is now officially Rex.
    PSN: DarthLano19
  • DarthLando wrote: »
    Rex is definitely more likely imo. He appears in both shows, giving DICE more possible skins to release for him than for Cody. DICE has previously teased Rex as well.

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

REALLY?

That's cool.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • DarthLando wrote: »

Rex skin options:

Phase_1_Rex.jpg

CloneCaptainRex.png

Veteran (40,000 credits)
    Rex_Star_Wars_Rebels.png

According to Wookiepedia he is still Nik Sant. Dave Filoni originally wanted to make him Rex, but later decided not to because he didn't want to get rid of a previously canon character.
    Six months after the episode's airing, Filoni revealed in an interview with IGN he ultimately choose to not canonize the theory because he felt that laying down an already established character prior to his coming to Star Wars wasn't correct, adding that Rex could have been present at Endor and not be Sant, even though some fans could choose to believe that Sant and Rex are the same individual while other choose to not do so.[8]

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nik_Sant

Lemme just throw this out there, don't bash me. I think that more than one clone hero would repetitive because they are CLONES. Completely same armor (besides color and design), physical appearance, voice, and for the most part, stats.
    The Anakin and Obi-Wan comparison shouldn't apply because they are two MAIN CHARACTERS in Star Wars, but I see what you mean with Rex and Cody being the most popular clones. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure two clone heroes would be repetitive, so I would rather have one. I would do two clone heroes if there is literally no other choice for that other clone wars hero.

For heroes as of the Clone Wars, I would like Ahsoka and Cody as two more heroes. Unless the Developers really ARE going for this game in the long run, I would only like one of the clones to be in the game, whether Rex and Cody. If they aren't in for the long run, I'm envisioning maybe two more clone wars heroes per side.

But it would still be repetitive, nevertheless. Cody would make more sense. I would prefer Cody to be in the game.

Considering the differences between the clones not just when it comes to weapons and abilities, but also personality, I'd argue that Jedi are objectively and significantly more repetitive than clones. There isn't much repetitive about having both Rex and Cody, they have very different weapons, they'd have very different abilities and roles, they have armor so distinguished that you would recognize the character even if both were the same color scheme, etc. And what you said about stats doesn't apply, almost all blaster heroes have the same stats when it comes to movement, health, health regeneration, etc. The Anakin and Obi-Wan comparison, however, does apply, Rex and Cody are two main characters in The Clone Wars and are most definitely the two major clone characters. In many ways, including one without the other is like including Obi-Wan without Anakin, especially since Rex worked directly under Anakin and Cody worked directly under Obi-Wan... both can be considered hero pairs. These are heroes for the Clone Wars Era and for that reason alone both main clone characters should be included. The fact of the matter is that Jedi characters are far more repetitive than Rex and Cody, Jedi characters have extremely similar weapons and often share variants of the same abilities, it's gotten to the point where some people are actually complaining about the similarities between the force-wielding characters. When it comes to actual gameplay there isn't anything repetitive about Rex and Cody due to the difference in their kits. If you were talking about Rex and Fives your argument about it being repetitive might hold up due to them having the exact same weapons and similar abilities, but we're talking about two characters who would function completely differently when it comes to gameplay and role.

I'd also like to touch on what you said about the armor again, for a few reasons. Rex and Cody actually have significantly different armor. And saying "Completely same armor(besides color and design)" is an oxymoron is it not? If the actual design is different then it isn't the same. If armor is something that makes a character repetitive then isn't Iden repetitive for having slightly modified stormtrooper armor? But I digress, Captain Rex and Commander Cody have distinguished armor. Captain Rex has a hybrid armor between Phase I and Phase II, a pauldron, a koma, the assault backpiece, and a rangefinder on his helmet. Commander Cody has customized Phase II armor, with a sun visor on the helmet, antennas on the shoulder piece and helmet for comms purposes, no kama, no pauldron, the specialist backpiece, and various attachments to his helmet, none of which are the same as Rex's.

Yes, both of these characters have clone armor, but their armor is distinguished to the point that you can easily recognize each character regardless of their color scheme. To prove my point...
    4ihyn5kqhpg6.png
    Even when having the same 501st blue color scheme, the characters are easily distinguishable due to the differences in their armor.

However, as we know they have different color schemes and would have a realistic format in Battlefront 2, so to show how distinguished they would be as well as how they would look in-game, the following images should give you a generally good idea...
    Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

(Source of unmodified image: Finfett)

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg
    (Source of unmodified image: Erik-M1999)
    Their armor is more than distinguished enough to not feel repetitive. Considering that DICE's goal when it comes to Clone Wars content is to "Dive deep into The Clone Wars", and given that the series is returning this year and that they're likely to tie content into it,(After the trailer for it was shown at Star Wars Celebration Dennis Branvill tweeted "I guess we've got more work to do now...") it is best to include the two most important and iconic clones from the era. Not to mention the need for more Clone Wars Era blaster heroes, that main clone characters are the best fitting Republic blaster heroes, and that both Rex and Cody would be unique heroes that offer new gameplay elements, as I've stated previously.
    ZmanGames wrote: »

Considering the differences between the clones not just when it comes to weapons and abilities, but also personality, I'd argue that Jedi are objectively and significantly more repetitive than clones. There isn't much repetitive about having both Rex and Cody, they have very different weapons, they'd have very different abilities and roles, they have armor so distinguished that you would recognize the character even if both were the same color scheme, etc. And what you said about stats doesn't apply, almost all blaster heroes have the same stats when it comes to movement, health, health regeneration, etc. The Anakin and Obi-Wan comparison, however, does apply, Rex and Cody are two main characters in The Clone Wars and are most definitely the two major clone characters. In many ways, including one without the other is like including Obi-Wan without Anakin, especially since Rex worked directly under Anakin and Cody worked directly under Obi-Wan... both can be considered hero pairs. These are heroes for the Clone Wars Era and for that reason alone both main clone characters should be included. The fact of the matter is that Jedi characters are far more repetitive than Rex and Cody, Jedi characters have extremely similar weapons and often share variants of the same abilities, it's gotten to the point where some people are actually complaining about the similarities between the force-wielding characters. When it comes to actual gameplay there isn't anything repetitive about Rex and Cody due to the difference in their kits. If you were talking about Rex and Fives your argument about it being repetitive might hold up due to them having the exact same weapons and similar abilities, but we're talking about two characters who would function completely differently when it comes to gameplay and role.

I'd also like to touch on what you said about the armor again, for a few reasons. Rex and Cody actually have significantly different armor. And saying "Completely same armor(besides color and design)" is an oxymoron is it not? If the actual design is different then it isn't the same. If armor is something that makes a character repetitive then isn't Iden repetitive for having slightly modified stormtrooper armor? But I digress, Captain Rex and Commander Cody have distinguished armor. Captain Rex has a hybrid armor between Phase I and Phase II, a pauldron, a koma, the assault backpiece, and a rangefinder on his helmet. Commander Cody has customized Phase II armor, with a sun visor on the helmet, antennas on the shoulder piece and helmet for comms purposes, no kama, no pauldron, the specialist backpiece, and various attachments to his helmet, none of which are the same as Rex's.

Yes, both of these characters have clone armor, but their armor is distinguished to the point that you can easily recognize each character regardless of their color scheme. To prove my point...
    4ihyn5kqhpg6.png
    Even when having the same 501st blue color scheme, the characters are easily distinguishable due to the differences in their armor.

However, as we know they have different color schemes and would have a realistic format in Battlefront 2, so to show how distinguished they would be as well as how they would look in-game, the following images should give you a generally good idea...
    Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg
    Their armor is more than distinguished enough to not feel repetitive. Considering that DICE's goal when it comes to Clone Wars content is to "Dive deep into The Clone Wars", and given that the series is returning this year and that they're likely to tie content into it,(After the trailer for it was shown at Star Wars Celebration Dennis Branvill tweeted "I guess we've got more work to do now...") it is best to include the two most important and iconic clones from the era. Not to mention the need for more Clone Wars Era blaster heroes, that main clone characters are the best fitting Republic blaster heroes, and that both Rex and Cody would be unique heroes that offer new gameplay elements, as I've stated previously.

Ok you're right, when I really analyze it, they'd just be similar physically. But it would still FEEL repetitive.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

Ok you're right, when I really analyze it, they'd just be similar physically. But it would still FEEL repetitive.

When 2 characters have very different weapons, completely different abilities, and are this visually distinguished, they won't feel repetitive, because there is little to nothing to make them feel that way. Rey and Obi-Wan feel more repetitive than Rex and Cody would, and they don't even feel extremely similar despite both having mind tricks, very similar rush abilities, and lightsabers.

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

When 2 characters have very different weapons, completely different abilities, and are this visually distinguished, they won't feel repetitive, because there is little to nothing to make them feel that way. Rey and Obi-Wan feel more repetitive than Rex and Cody would, and they don't even feel extremely similar despite both having mind tricks, very similar rush abilities, and lightsabers.

I guess your right. It feels repetitive, because, well, they are CLONES, so...
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

So? That doesn't make them feel repetitive, you just feel that it would but that's objectively not the case. By your logic, Boba feels repetitive because he's also a clone.

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

So? That doesn't make them feel repetitive, you just feel that it would but that's objectively not the case. By your logic, Boba feels repetitive because he's also a clone.

Okay, I said it feels repetitive to ME.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

You'd probably change your mind if you played them though. The only thing that would be close to repetitive is their voice, but that is irrelevant when it comes to gameplay, everything else between them such as weapons, abilities, playstyles, visuals, etc. is less repetitive than many of the other characters already in the game.

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

You'd probably change your mind if you played them though. The only thing that would be close to repetitive is their voice, but that is irrelevant when it comes to gameplay, everything else between them such as weapons, abilities, playstyles, visuals, etc. is less repetitive than many of the other characters already in the game.

Their armor as well for me. Not the colors or patterns, just that identical white armor.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • I'm saying that if the choice came and we could pick one, Cody would make more sense.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

Their armor as well for me. Not the colors or patterns, just that identical white armor.

og5qhme2bg2o.png
    As I pointed out before the armor is not identical even if its the same color. Unless you ignore the fact that the helmets are completely different, then also ignore any and all attachments to the body armor such as pauldrons, antennas, kamas, etc.

Here's the picture of what both characters would look like in game if you want to see it again:
    5y2cozqdjlh4.png
    m3xnn6fnr63r.jpg

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

og5qhme2bg2o.png
    As I pointed out before the armor is not identical even if its the same color. Unless you ignore the fact that the helmets are completely different, then also ignore any and all attachments to the body armor such as pauldrons, antennas, kamas, etc.

Here's the picture of what both characters would look like in game if you want to see it again:
    5y2cozqdjlh4.png
    m3xnn6fnr63r.jpg

giphy.gif
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • CC_1010
    822 posts Member

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

og5qhme2bg2o.png

5y2cozqdjlh4.png
    m3xnn6fnr63r.jpg

I also think more then one clone hero would be too much...
  • CC_1010 wrote: »

4ihyn5kqhpg6.png

Captain Rex
    osibi8mijtho.png

Commander Cody
    smdo8ylt3fa3.jpg

og5qhme2bg2o.png

5y2cozqdjlh4.png
    m3xnn6fnr63r.jpg

I also think more then one clone hero would be too much...

Then read through my responses to Commander_AI on why that's not the case.