criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

[Speculation] Is Battlefront 3 going to happen?

Prev1
This is a speculation thread, please post your thoughts below.

In my personal opinion, yes. I do think there will be a battlefront 3, it will probably be announced at ea-play this year or next year, and be released in late 2020. I hope Battlefront 3 is similar to Battlefront 2, it just needs to improve on the hero balance, allow for more trooper customization, allow for more hero customization & have an even amount of maps around all eras.
th1t3mn151el.gif

"Never doubt what you have done, All your decisions brought you to that point."
-Kreia / KOTOR 2

Euaaagh
-Lego Yoda

Replies

• Yes, eventually. My prevailing theory is that they will try to get it for or around the launch of the next gen consoles as being one of the first shooters for these consoles would be an advantageous move as launch titles typically do very well sales-wise because of the limited number of games available at this time.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • Even if it does, would anybody trust DICE to make a quality game?

Reddit does. They think this game is top quality so they're easy to please.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • I would love it if BF3 was just this game with a full development team dedicated to the game and its post launch content. Free themselves of the reputation this game will (to some extent) always be stuck with, and take another stab at making the ultimate battlefront game with all 3 eras (or 4 if we get old republic in canon again?!), and support for all game modes.
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif

Reddit does. They think this game is top quality so they're easy to please.

I can smell your foaming at the mouth over clown wars already
  • Not a chance. This is it for at least a decade. And by then my fingers will be too old to push buttons.
  • Empire_TW
    6430 posts Member
    Hopefully, they don't.
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • E_ABZU
    447 posts Member
    edited April 22
    Why would anyone buy it? So they can play a worse game than this one?

Even if they did, very few would preorder or buy it at all.
  • Relmets
    2222 posts Member
    Just make Bad Company 3
    [+3748 posts]
  • Empire_TW
    6430 posts Member
    Relmets wrote: »
    Just make Bad Company 3

Just make Battlefield 3:2
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • I won t buy it because it will be uncomplete as the previous ones
  • Why are there so many BF3 threads? The devs have already said that there are no plans for another game.

I trust Dice. And as long as EA lets them handle it and provides them the resources it should be a great game.
  • RedPug wrote: »
    I won t buy it because it will be uncomplete as the previous ones

*as incomplete
  • Versatti wrote: »
    We don’t need a BF3, we just need them to commit to this game, add all of the BF2015 content and further expand the current game.

If they abandon this in favour of a BF3 I won’t be buying it.

Well said, I won't buy BF3 at least not until it proves to be a great game after many months from release.
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    Even if it does, would anybody trust DICE to make a quality game?

I trust Dice. And as long as EA lets them handle it and provides them the resources it should be a great game.

BFV and Dice's sudden focus on casuals pretty much killed my faith in them.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Let’s hope not
  • Batman20
    1776 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I would love a battlefront 3 as long as Dice and EA learn from all there mistakes in the first 2 games and do everything to avoid making those mistakes again and battlefront 3 then has the potential to be amazing. I imagine we will get it at some point for the next gen consoles like maybe 2021
  • The only way this is going to happen is if DICE is FIRED!!!!
  • Batman20
    1776 posts Member
    Versatti wrote: »
    We don’t need a BF3, we just need them to commit to this game, add all of the BF2015 content and further expand the current game.

If they abandon this in favour of a BF3 I won’t be buying it.

It makes more sense for dice to make another game rather than support this for years as they would make a ton more money by releasing a 3rd game and money is all EA cares about
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    They need to stop with battlefront after battlefront.

Battlefront needs to be a Star Wars game to fill the shooter niche, not fill every aspect of Star Wars gaming

h846398gb27k.png

• This game definitely feels less like a shooter with each new update. Battlefront 2 in a nutshell,

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif
  • jordi1337
    1389 posts Member
    This game definitely feels less like a shooter with each new update. Battlefront 2 in a nutshell,

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif

that makes no sense. the amount of lightsaber heroes that can be in the round at the same time is the same as it is at launch. so if u think it is not much of a shooter now then it wasnt much of a shooter at launch
  • hsf_
    1820 posts Member
    Nope, I've said in numerous threads why it won't happen and my stance has still not changed.
  • bfloo
    15529 posts Member
    jordi1337 wrote: »
    This game definitely feels less like a shooter with each new update. Battlefront 2 in a nutshell,

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif

that makes no sense. the amount of lightsaber heroes that can be in the round at the same time is the same as it is at launch. so if u think it is not much of a shooter now then it wasnt much of a shooter at launch

With all the buffs, hok cards and such, hero play has taken over this game.

h846398gb27k.png

• Ppong_Man12
    2446 posts Member
    edited April 22

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif

Agree, it barely felt like a shooter at launch, now add more and more reinforcements to the mix and infantry is nothing but a means to an end, just as it was at launch. If you want a large scale Heroes and Villians fine, you’ve already got it because that’s all this game is.

Imo battlefront should be about troops first and foremost which vastly outnumber the small percentage of heroes in the overall picture btw. Then have a hero or two for reinforcements or support to infantry.
  • ZephanUnbound
    2908 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I think so, though I don't think they will rush it out. I think they will wait until the first movie of the Game of Thrones producer's Star Wars trilogy has released, and base the game around content from that new era (rumored to be Old Republic based).
  • Maybe, i could see Battlefront III come out for next gen Playstation & Xbox consoles. Hopefully fans would like the game and EA & Dice make it a game fans would enjoy.
  • I think so, though I don't think they will rush it out. I think they will wait until the first movie of the Game of Thrones producer's Star Wars trilogy has released, and base the game around content from that new era (rumored to be Old Republic based).

Not to change the subject but GOT was good last night, next week should be interesting.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    They need to stop with battlefront after battlefront.

Battlefront needs to be a Star Wars game to fill the shooter niche, not fill every aspect of Star Wars gaming

Thank you....thank you....thank you!!
  • I think so, though I don't think they will rush it out. I think they will wait until the first movie of the Game of Thrones producer's Star Wars trilogy has released, and base the game around content from that new era (rumored to be Old Republic based).

Not to change the subject but GOT was good last night, next week should be interesting.

Haha .."not to change the subject"
  • jo_achim747
    632 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I do not think it will happen that soon ...

If it ever happens they should have learned their lesson by now and do the following:

They have Maps from 2015 SWBF, as well as from 2017 SWBF. They assets for numerous planets, they have character models for numerous heroes and villains.

1. Utilize all the assets that are there. With the blown out 2015 assets that they have for the original trilogy they can create many maps on a lot of different planet with the need to create completely new models. This is on the one hand a time saver, on the other hand it would be great to see a fully fleshed out OT experience here with big maps for every planet - Hoth, Tatooine, Sullust, Bespin, Endor, ....Make use of all the Clone Wars content that has been created by now. Naboo, Geneosis, Hangars of Capital Ships, Kashyyyk,.... With all these map related assets (remember, the sequel trilogy is there as well) you can create a bunch of maps for anything any anyone - USE IT.

2. Trooper and Hero Customization. IMO, that should do a mixture of 2 variants to customize characters. First - the way it is now. This makes a lot of sense for heroes and for legion accurate appearances. Second - allow us to either equip further visuals (such as emblems, signs, markings, sensors, helmet variations, colors, stripes, ....) on top of these legion specific things, or allow for 4 to 5 custom outfit slots in which we can build our soldier from ground up (this would be soldiers only, not heroes!). You could embed this with the unlock system, where we can either get the cosmetics via loot crates or by fulfilling achievements when playing the game. Therefore, the "free customization" would start (e.g. for clones) with shinies. The more unlockables we have achieved, the more we can equip and add to this basic soldier. Going from head to toe. This means different helmet types, different body armor, different leg armor, different markings for each of those individual parts and so on. Also with this, legion markings could be unlocked and set to work accordingly. Additional idea: when often playing in a squad, it would be awesome to have the possibility to generate some kind of unique squad emblem and add it as a marking to the armor as well. There is a lot of potential on customizing troopers and a lot of wishes would come true with a fully fletched out customizing system here.

3. Vehicle Customization. Definitely something that is currently missing. Same procedure as with the Solider Customization. Standard, move inspired textures that can be unlocked as well as a basic variation, where one can create its on visual appearance (of course to a certain degree), like emblems, shots on the vehicle, markings, ...

4. Game Modes. I really do not know why it is still not here - but all that has been requested from the very beginning of SWBF2015 is a pure conquest mode. This is where SWBF3 should start. CS is cool, but still linear. Keep it, if the community really likes it, but also give players the possibility to enjoy pure conquest as well. Extraction should stay and I would love to see a return of Walker Assault - this game mode was simply fun and one of the best things from SWBF2015. I am sure some people would miss normal blast mode if it was not there so stick to that and please - please keep Starfighter assault and build up on this awesome mode by adding more content and locations to it. I know a lot of people want to see space to ground combat and I can imagine that this is an issue, not only from development perspective, but due to the player amount and them being spread out all over the map.

5. Weapons, Unlock times and Hero balancing. Heroes felt much stronger and cooler in SWBF2015 IMO, of course, this is just an opinion, but right now I do not really often play as a hero, whereas I really enjoyed in BF2015... maybe go back to a certain degree to make them more powerful, but easier to defeat. There should be one or two more weapons and what is really important from my point of view - weapons in SWBF2017 take far too long to unlock. Some adjustments would be needed here. Maybe a return of Hutt Contracts? Was a really cool way to unlock certain items.

In General I think, that most of the actual gameplay is fun. The star cards are good, love the class system and how it is ported to other aspects of the game as well (straighter and reinforcements). This game just needs more content or mechanics like described above. If there should be a Battlefront 3 coming, this would be great.

Cheers!

Offtopic: Since this is always a topic - Space to Ground combat. I understand that there are 2 main issues. 1 - technical issues most likely due to Frostbite engine, 2 - players being spread out all over the place too far from each other to actually have fun. I would not necessarily miss such a mode, since I do not really need it. It would be more of a gimmick I think as long as it is not the main mode. But regarding these 2 issues following ideas: 1 - maybe just handle the atmosphere and space with the different skyboxes with kind of spheres? So that to every new layer (ground, atmosphere, space) a new sphere would be created with different material applied (looking like a skybox)... maybe this could work out, maybe it is dumb, I don't know (if this is even the issue ?), 2 - you have recently added quite nice AI to CS which is controlled server side -> why not use that to always have some action in certain areas for a space to ground combat like game mode?
  • jordi1337 wrote: »

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif

Agree, it barely felt like a shooter at launch, now add more and more reinforcements to the mix and infantry is nothing but a means to an end, just as it was at launch. If you want a large scale Heroes and Villians fine, you’ve already got it because that’s all this game is.

Imo battlefront should be about troops first and foremost which vastly outnumber the small percentage of heroes in the overall picture btw. Then have a hero or two for reinforcements or support to infantry.

Now THIS would have been the better set up. I hope we dont live to see the "Battlefront franchise" turn into nothing but Hero battle games where colored lightsabers are preferred over anything else.
  • I do not think it will happen that soon ...

If it ever happens they should have learned their lesson by now and do the following:

They have Maps from 2015 SWBF, as well as from 2017 SWBF. They assets for numerous planets, they have character models for numerous heroes and villains.

1. Utilize all the assets that are there. With the blown out 2015 assets that they have for the original trilogy they can create many maps on a lot of different planet with the need to create completely new models. This is on the one hand a time saver, on the other hand it would be great to see a fully fleshed out OT experience here with big maps for every planet - Hoth, Tatooine, Sullust, Bespin, Endor, ....Make use of all the Clone Wars content that has been created by now. Naboo, Geneosis, Hangars of Capital Ships, Kashyyyk,.... With all these map related assets (remember, the sequel trilogy is there as well) you can create a bunch of maps for anything any anyone - USE IT.

2. Trooper and Hero Customization. IMO, that should do a mixture of 2 variants to customize characters. First - the way it is now. This makes a lot of sense for heroes and for legion accurate appearances. Second - allow us to either equip further visuals (such as emblems, signs, markings, sensors, helmet variations, colors, stripes, ....) on top of these legion specific things, or allow for 4 to 5 custom outfit slots in which we can build our soldier from ground up (this would be soldiers only, not heroes!). You could embed this with the unlock system, where we can either get the cosmetics via loot crates or by fulfilling achievements when playing the game. Therefore, the "free customization" would start (e.g. for clones) with shinies. The more unlockables we have achieved, the more we can equip and add to this basic soldier. Going from head to toe. This means different helmet types, different body armor, different leg armor, different markings for each of those individual parts and so on. Also with this, legion markings could be unlocked and set to work accordingly. Additional idea: when often playing in a squad, it would be awesome to have the possibility to generate some kind of unique squad emblem and add it as a marking to the armor as well. There is a lot of potential on customizing troopers and a lot of wishes would come true with a fully fletched out customizing system here.

3. Vehicle Customization. Definitely something that is currently missing. Same procedure as with the Solider Customization. Standard, move inspired textures that can be unlocked as well as a basic variation, where one can create its on visual appearance (of course to a certain degree), like emblems, shots on the vehicle, markings, ...

4. Game Modes. I really do not know why it is still not here - but all that has been requested from the very beginning of SWBF2015 is a pure conquest mode. This is where SWBF3 should start. CS is cool, but still linear. Keep it, if the community really likes it, but also give players the possibility to enjoy pure conquest as well. Extraction should stay and I would love to see a return of Walker Assault - this game mode was simply fun and one of the best things from SWBF2015. I am sure some people would miss normal blast mode if it was not there so stick to that and please - please keep Starfighter assault and build up on this awesome mode by adding more content and locations to it. I know a lot of people want to see space to ground combat and I can imagine that this is an issue, not only from development perspective, but due to the player amount and them being spread out all over the map.

5. Weapons, Unlock times and Hero balancing. Heroes felt much stronger and cooler in SWBF2015 IMO, of course, this is just an opinion, but right now I do not really often play as a hero, whereas I really enjoyed in BF2015... maybe go back to a certain degree to make them more powerful, but easier to defeat. There should be one or two more weapons and what is really important from my point of view - weapons in SWBF2017 take far too long to unlock. Some adjustments would be needed here. Maybe a return of Hutt Contracts? Was a really cool way to unlock certain items.

In General I think, that most of the actual gameplay is fun. The star cards are good, love the class system and how it is ported to other aspects of the game as well (straighter and reinforcements). This game just needs more content or mechanics like described above. If there should be a Battlefront 3 coming, this would be great.

Cheers!

Offtopic: Since this is always a topic - Space to Ground combat. I understand that there are 2 main issues. 1 - technical issues most likely due to Frostbite engine, 2 - players being spread out all over the place too far from each other to actually have fun. I would not necessarily miss such a mode, since I do not really need it. It would be more of a gimmick I think as long as it is not the main mode. But regarding these 2 issues following ideas: 1 - maybe just handle the atmosphere and space with the different skyboxes with kind of spheres? So that to every new layer (ground, atmosphere, space) a new sphere would be created with different material applied (looking like a skybox)... maybe this could work out, maybe it is dumb, I don't know (if this is even the issue ?), 2 - you have recently added quite nice AI to CS which is controlled server side -> why not use that to always have some action in certain areas for a space to ground combat like game mode?

Points 1 and 2 are mandatory and it's how BF2 should have been since launch, so it's the bare minimum I'd expect from a new battlefront, hell you could have even used lootboxes for the cosmetics of point 2, there wouldn't have been shortage of materials, and still have them obtainable with creds(since instead of full skins there would have been armor parts and markings there wouldn't have been the issue of people using only creds instead of using real money). The monetization could have been fleshed out and not invasive if only they'd been less greedy and had more development time. This game is all a big wasted opportunity.

As for other points, I find them more personal preferences and as such not mandatory, for instance I'd like vehicles to spawn on maps and have multi seating thus rendering useless any customization option ( except maybe starfighters).

Still very good post.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    Even if it does, would anybody trust DICE to make a quality game?

BFV and Dice's sudden focus on casuals pretty much killed my faith in them.

Me being a Casual... Well.. I am ok with their focus.

I have a full time job as a Software Test Engineer. I have three kids. 1 is an adult and on his own already. I have 3 other step children with my wife. 1 of those plays with me on this game. But my point is I love Star Wars always have all my 44 years. I don't have time to play the game enough to be more than casual.

The game needs more than just casual game play I agree. but the casual gamer is the one that will make this game successful I would think. I promise you I am not the only Battlefront Multiplayer that is 40+ years old. The Core Star Wars fan base is in their 40's and 50's.

Just my Opinion.

May the Force be with you.

DarthClippy
  • I would like a BF3 but not from the same dev team. I don't think this dev team are filled with bad people, but I do question their ability when it comes to making a quality product. I don't think I would buy a BF3 with a DICE logo on the front of the game let alone the EA logo.
  • I think there may be, but they better fix up 'n stop catering to the casuals so much. I'm very displeased that this feels so much like COD. Old COD at that. When I first found out that DICE was making a Battlefront I had high hopes that it'd essentially be a Star Wars skinned Battlefield BFBC2, 3, or 4. Idk what happened, but ever since Hardline their offerings in the game play dept have gotten much worse. Go back to what you're good at DICE. Give us a SW Skinned Battlefield pre-Hardline.

Seems to be a running theme with AAA studios. Visuals 'n sound got better, but the game play has just devolved into tard territory.
  • Never ends.

There will not be a battlefront 3.

The end.
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif

Then there's going to be a very, very, very, very, very long wait because Bob Iger said recently that they're going to be taking a break from Star Wars films for the forseeable future after Ep IX. Benioff, Weiss, and Johnson (yuck) are still working on Star Wars films, but they're likely not going to be released in the next 1-2 years or perhaps even 5 years based on Iger's comments.
    But EA won't wait that long because they have until 2023 to prove they're worthy of keeping the SW licence which means they need more Star Wars games out there and thus are likely to push for a BFIII for the next gen consoles.
    My Concepts
  • There will be a Battlefront 3 as soon as we have a Playstation 5. Those two things will coincide, I think.
  • ZephanUnbound
    2908 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I think so, though I don't think they will rush it out. I think they will wait until the first movie of the Game of Thrones producer's Star Wars trilogy has released, and base the game around content from that new era (rumored to be Old Republic based).

Then there's going to be a very, very, very, very, very long wait because Bob Iger said recently that they're going to be taking a break from Star Wars films for the forseeable future after Ep IX. Benioff, Weiss, and Johnson (yuck) are still working on Star Wars films, but they're likely not going to be released in the next 1-2 years or perhaps even 5 years based on Iger's comments.
    But EA won't wait that long because they have until 2023 to prove they're worthy of keeping the SW licence which means they need more Star Wars games out there and thus are likely to push for a BFIII for the next gen consoles.

Leakers say the first Benioff and Weiss movie will film later this year or next year, though Disney is going to save the release for 2021 or 2022 most likely. EA has the Star Wars license until 2023, so they have time to wait. Comments from Dennis Branvall suggest they plan to continue supporting Battlefront 2 with DLC in the meantime.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier reported that EA already has another Star Wars game lined up for next-gen console Holiday 2020 or sometime in 2021, a Star Wars game born from the ashes of the cancelled Visceral/Motive game, developed by EA Vancouver.
  • KresusFIN
    2716 posts Member

nvsmymuk1z4v.gif

Now THIS would have been the better set up. I hope we dont live to see the "Battlefront franchise" turn into nothing but Hero battle games where colored lightsabers are preferred over anything else.

We're living, and seeing that, right now.

Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • Alex64
    7439 posts Member
    If it's on frostbite no thanks
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.

Leakers say the first Benioff and Weiss movie will film later this year or next year, though Disney is going to save the release for 2021 or 2022 most likely. EA has the Star Wars license until 2023, so they have time to wait. Comments from Dennis Branvall suggest they plan to continue supporting Battlefront 2 with DLC in the meantime.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier reported that EA already has another Star Wars game lined up for next-gen console Holiday 2020 or sometime in 2021, a Star Wars game born from the ashes of the cancelled Visceral/Motive game, developed by EA Vancouver.

Unsubstantiated "leakers" vs Bob Iger the CEO of Disney? I think I'll take Bob's word on this one.
    My Concepts

Unsubstantiated "leakers" vs Bob Iger the CEO of Disney? I think I'll take Bob's word on this one.

All Bob Iger said was that they were taking a break. A break could simply be a 1 year break, meaning no new movie in 2020. We could easily get the first Benioff and Weiss movie in 2021 or 2022. Kathleen Kennedy also hinted at a 1 or 2 year break tops in some Celebration interviews.