criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Is HvV unbalanced & in favor of the lightside?

I've seen players on here & reddit say anakin makes a HvV a unbalanced mess. The darkside will lose if a anakin is even half way decent. Me & my kids have taken a solemn vow not to help & use anakin(s) lol & have scores like this or lower
mkh9b9vkyd0b.jpg

& when they see scores like this with anakin say he's overpoweredf9011u1n7gop.jpg

When players have been getting scores like that since before his arrival & while he's in & with other characters
ky0ydtbs4hwm.jpg

xiaswtzuw7h8.jpg

While yes anakin is OP a lot of my games are close & competitive because of him & usually don't end in a stomp when both teams are of equal skill or close in skill. Before anakin it was so easy to dominate & win with the darkside & was pretty much a auto win. Now you get competitive games that are down to the wire.

Replies

• bfloo
    15522 posts Member
    My experience is still one team steam rolling the other, regardless of which side they are on.

Anakin is extremely easy to put points up with though. I can have a terrible game and still top the board.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• CC_1010
    1413 posts Member
    It’s much more competitive at the moment because of Anakin.
  • I've had significantly more competitive matches after Anakin's arrival. HvV is better now, but most of the time it's still a steamroll.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • grimmace2
    1146 posts Member
    On balanced teams, Anakin usually gives an advantage to LS. The matches have been more competitive than before, to be sure. The upcoming Anakin nerfs should prove to balance things a little more. IMO, Retribution could probably be eliminated and that would be enough.
  • KLATZ55
    125 posts Member
    For me, HvV is still unbalanced because of the Darkside, they have easier and better options for runners and campers.

I think they should remove Anakin's Retribution when they''ll give us the new improved HvV but not now, we need it against the runners/jumpers.

They just need to make Retribution rewarding, like you can use it only after you killed a certain amount of opponents.

Iden is the worst of all, she can freeze the entire team and regen health, run with a shield, sniper rifle, powerful machine gun and noob tube and she's not iconic.
  • Wallofman
    1154 posts Member
    I think it all depends on the players. I have seen Anakin players that could not get anything right and was a hindrance to his team. I have seen Anakin players dominate. It also depends on the choice of the DS players.

On the other hand this happened last night. I am slightly above average player. I rarely hit the top spot on the board. However last night I was abandoned and played 4v1, at that point is was 9-4 (darkside was winning). As a solo Anakin I was able to kill 4 targets and lost 5-0. I would not have been able to do that with any other hero/villain. Properly timed use of the abilities, along with playing cat and mouse, allowed me to take on the whole team. I hit the top spot with over 30K points. So when a just OK player like myself can be competitive when it is 4v1, the hero might be a little op.
  • awakespace
    1066 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I agree that he does balance it out in terms of wins and losses, but it is entirely the wrong way to create balance

Adding one character that is clearly more powerful than any other, that always has to be chosen, is not the remedy

They should simply nerf Anakin and buff the rest of the lightside heroes (in a way that minimally impacts GA/CS) to create balance

For instance:
    • Anakin: Remove Retribution as 4th ability and instead make Retribution what happens if Heroic Might gets fully charged. Have Retribution deal 250-300 damage but last 50% as long. And make Anakin fully damage resistant during the animation since he already took damage to get there. Take away knockdown of Passionate Strike but have it go back to doing 200 damage (so that it has some viability against 99% of characters that don't have a block).
    • Luke: Rush should do 130 and partially break block at 50 damage. Increase his star card values: like Rush Immunity to 50% damages reduction, Jedi Fighter to 30% stamina increase, etc. Decrease his Push Cooldown by 2 seconds.
    • Rey: Dash Strike should break block. Health on Kill is 100 with hero defeat
    • Lando: Give his gun less recoil and spread, and do more damage at range. Make his smoke have some other impact - like slowing villains, or having them take increased damage, or healing Lando, etc.
    • Finn: Make Big Deal not decrease his speed. Make Undercover Team increase his run speed significantly more. Make his Glie break block at 30-50% (not sure correct value)
    • Leia: Make the inside of her shield deal damage to Villians at dioxis speed
    • Obi-Wan: Fix his animations so they are less hitchey. Make his abilities triggerable while he is blocking/moving. Give All out Push more base range and make it useable from the air. Make Mind Trick have damage reduction during animation. Have him move faster during Defensive Rush, and be able to jump out of it.

• anidriX
    926 posts Member
    edited April 22
    I'd say the tip of the scale is overall leaning towards the lightside now. The thing is stomps will always be there because we don't have a rank system. Before Anakin, I never struggled against the Darkside and with him now, I don't struggle against the Lightside. Either side can stomp based on skill. Anakin racks a lot of points, that is not a measure of OPness, otherwise Han Solo would also be considered very OP.
    On the other hand, since Anakin, dealing with runners has never been easier. Kylo getting buffed also means there's usually gonna be a counter-runner on each side.
    Post edited by anidriX on
  • KresusFIN
    2716 posts Member
    You and I, and many others dominated with, and against LS, long before Anakin was a thing. I have fond memories of some matches in particular.

Big Deal was just as powerful before him as it is now. People just do. Not. Think. About. Ideal. Comps. Or counterpicks. And I truly, truly have no idea why THAT isn't encouraged in any shape or form. It's all just "hurr durr this my fav char i pik him and smash litsabr on u"

Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • Batman20
    1755 posts Member
    edited April 22
    No you can still win with the dark but you have to have a good team who work together so that anakin then has to fight numerous heroes at once. Problem with HvV isn't so much op heroes but terrible teammates you can be slaughtered by both the light and dark for that reason
  • Anakin's OP-ness is intolerable in GA or other modes like that. In HvV it is just annoying because he's cheap and easy for mediocre players to use, and retribution is a skill-less cheap way to get kills. Obviously he can be beat with a little teamwork. Iden + Dooku are fun to melt ani-babies. But still just jumping in the fray and popping retribution is a very lazy way to do well.

Inicdentally, points don't matter that much in HvV as currently constituted. It's just damage output for the most part, and Anakin is made to generate a lot of cheap damage. He's literally built to do the most damage, so it's a no brainer that he will score well in HvV.
    • Anakin: Remove Retribution as 4th ability and instead make Retribution what happens if Heroic Might gets fully charged. Have Retribution deal 250-300 damage but last 50% as long. And make Anakin fully damage resistant during the animation since he already took damage to get there. Take away knockdown of Passionate Strike but have it go back to doing 200 damage (so that it has some viability against 99% of characters that don't have a block).

This is a really clever idea. He'd still have the really powerful move, but it's not as spam-able. Good idea.
  • bfloo wrote: »
    My experience is still one team steam rolling the other, regardless of which side they are on.

Anakin is extremely easy to put points up with though. I can have a terrible game and still top the board.

It's Easy to get points up with han, vader, iden, & boba though as well. They just do a lot of damage
  • Here is a 4v4 party match from a few days ago with evenly matched teams and all really good players. I played Anakin for the first time in a few weeks (I've been finding his OPness annoying). Once again I found it stupid that I could do what I was doing - and I found myself playing less skillfully because he kindof feels godly - an aggressive simultaneous cannon and tank with an insta kill button.

• Here's my opinion.

What the light side always lacked was the chase in combo with Burst. DS had that down pat.

DS with Chase (as in chase running targets) and Burst
    • Boba
    • Vader (yes vader 1 choke and 1/3 of your hp is gone sometimes 1/2)
    • Palpatine
    • Kylo (since frenzy super buff)
    • GG can chase and has okay burst if his combo works.
    • Maul can chase but no super big burst since his throw doesn't hit 50% of the time.

Okay so now who on LS has that same power??
    • Anakin
    • Chewy doesn't have the case but has the Burst even after all the nerfs.
    • Rey before all the nerfs.

So key difference there, Anakin (yes still broken) is the chase and the break block and nuke for the LS atm. Yes it's broken. Broken. Broken. But anyway, where am I going with all of this.

It always felt so imbalanced because the Dark Side could run very well + Burst down the target before the LS could chase down and kill the target. Now that has changed due to Anakin. Anakin being so easy to use, when "pro" players play Anakin, it's feels like you're playing a 5v4 or 6v4 depending on how that Anakin plays.

Anakin rewards bad play. Not good play. He is 0 skill to use and the 2nd character that can rely off abilities only and never has to swing his saber.

Anakins CD are way to short. Damage is way too high. And Retribution Should be rewarding to use and not reward the team who is getting their butts kicked.

"I play Star Wars like real life, I try not to die if possible."

k2bblaxemr26.png

PS4 EventHorizonOH