criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Felucia Transmission
No Match for a Good Blaster

NFL Fans?

Replies

• AzorAhai wrote: »
    Batman20 wrote: »
    I'm a saints fan that playoff loss still annoys me against the rams

Yeah, that was an awful no-call. I think all it's going to do is harden Drew Brees for one more go around.

It is just me, or have Brady and Brees kind of switched playing styles in the last few years? Brees used to be the king of the deep ball. He racked up insane amounts of yards, but always had double digit interceptions. Meanwhile, Brady always through these short passes and had average numbers of yards, but he rarely threw picks. Now, however, Brees' yard numbers have taken a BIG hit, but he has beaten the record for completion percentage two years in a row, and he only threw five picks last year. Brady still has unusually low interception numbers, but now he has very high yard numbers and is throwing more deep passes then ever.
  • I will be very disappointed if the Cardinals draft Murray. They JUST drafted Rosen, give him some time to mature and develop before you decide that he isn't good enough. He had a terrible WR group (his best WR was a 35 year old) and the worst o line in the league. They should focus on improving his supporting cast. Think Brees and the Saints.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Not to mention that they hired a HC only to fire him after one season. That alone makes them look clueless.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    Wow, Brown goes to the Raiders for 3rd and 5th round picks.
    3 years, $50 million ($30 million of it guaranteed).
    Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    Wow, Brown goes to the Raiders for 3rd and 5th round picks.
    3 years, $50 million ($30 million of it guaranteed).

I think he will quickly discover that catching passes from Ben Roethlisburger is much easier than catching passes from Derek Carr.
  • The Bills have signed Frank Gore, and the Jags have signed Nick Foles.
  • Detroit is really spending big. They've gotten former Patriots' players Trey Flowers and Danny Amendola, as well as tight end Jesse James.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    Jets are also doing some signing. 2 WR's and a LB in the last couple of days.
    Now they can work on Bell. :)
  • And what the heck were the Giants thinking trading OBJ to the Browns for the 17th pick, plus a third round pick and Safety Jabrill Peppers? And it leaves them with something like $16 million in dead money.
    Ugh.
    And what the heck were the Giants thinking trading OBJ to the Browns for the 17th pick, plus a third round pick and Safety Jabrill Peppers? And it leaves them with something like $16 million in dead money.
    Ugh.

When I heard about this I was shocked. The Browns will be REALLY good next year.
  • Rook008
    838 posts Member
    Browns can be great next season, they have the talent.

And...Bell to the Jets. :)
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    I tend to follow the heck out of the NFL in general, but I'm obviously more dialed in to the Titans than any other team. But my best friend is a Dolphins fan, so I probably know more about the Dolphins than any team other than the Titans (and possibly the Cowboys).

So I'm very pleased to see that we have signed Cameron Wake from Miami (he's my favorite Dolphin, or was) and also Ryan Tannehill as a backup. He's hardly a great QB, but he's probably close to Mariota-level quality (hurts to say that), and since Mariota has yet to make it through an entire season, it makes a lot of sense to upgrade our backup QB (it was clear that Gabbert just didn't have anything to add in our Week 17 Win-and-we're-in matchup with the Colts).
  • @Darth_Vapor3 Ryan Fitzpatrick is the new Dolphins quarterback. How do you feel about that? He had an insane 9.6 yards per attempt last year (the third highest since the merger in 1970) but he also threw an interception roughly once every 20 passes, which is absolutely terrible.
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    I tend to follow the heck out of the NFL in general, but I'm obviously more dialed in to the Titans than any other team. But my best friend is a Dolphins fan, so I probably know more about the Dolphins than any team other than the Titans (and possibly the Cowboys).

So I'm very pleased to see that we have signed Cameron Wake from Miami (he's my favorite Dolphin, or was) and also Ryan Tannehill as a backup. He's hardly a great QB, but he's probably close to Mariota-level quality (hurts to say that), and since Mariota has yet to make it through an entire season, it makes a lot of sense to upgrade our backup QB (it was clear that Gabbert just didn't have anything to add in our Week 17 Win-and-we're-in matchup with the Colts).

I think that's a little harsh. Mariota had a 68.9 completion percentage last year, which was 5th in the league. He's also extremely athletic. I agree with you about them signing a good backup though.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    @Darth_Vapor3 Ryan Fitzpatrick is the new Dolphins quarterback. How do you feel about that? He had an insane 9.6 yards per attempt last year (the third highest since the merger in 1970) but he also threw an interception roughly once every 20 passes, which is absolutely terrible.

I think that's a little harsh. Mariota had a 68.9 completion percentage last year, which was 5th in the league. He's also extremely athletic. I agree with you about them signing a good backup though.

I'm just hedging towards a known bias I have in Titans quarterbacks.

Mariota did fine last year, considering that one of our possession receivers demanded to be released in the preseason (Rishard Mathews left the team in a weird, enigmatic way that made me think he had personal life issues to deal with) and in week 1 we lost Delanie Walker, who for years has been a HUGE component of the offense. He was out for the season.

We can reasonably guess that Ryan Tannehill will start at least one game for us this year.
    Browns can be great next season, they have the talent.

And...Bell to the Jets. :)

On paper at the skill positions its a show stopper, very impressive.
  • @Darth_Vapor3 Ryan Fitzpatrick is the new Dolphins quarterback. How do you feel about that? He had an insane 9.6 yards per attempt last year (the third highest since the merger in 1970) but he also threw an interception roughly once every 20 passes, which is absolutely terrible.

I actually don’t mind this move. He’s a veteran guy who isn’t afraid to sling it. Miami will have a down season this year, and while they won’t be trying to lose, they are really making moves towards rebuilding. I’ve always been a fan of Fitzpatrick. He’s scrappy. And he has earned his marks. Going into the season with no hope for the playoffs, it’ll be fun watching Fitz run and gun. With the state of Miami right now, and considering Fitzpatrick’s career, I think it’s a good fit.
  • "Tank for Tua" is going to be the new "Suck for Luck". I think that the NYG or maybe the TBB will get the #1 pick.
  • It’s seasons like this when MIA somehow pulls of an unexpected win over NE. Silly... but be warned!
  • @AzorAhai
    Schedule released today and look who my Browns play for the first match on the schedule.
    #StarWars-y
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Best of luck, man. Browns have a lot of potential this year.

• VaderFist501st
    414 posts Member
    edited April 20
    Dallas fan here. Im cautiously optimistic about next season. Made some decent moves this offseason
    Post edited by VaderFist501st on
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Dallas fan here. Im cautiously optimistic about next season. Made some decent moves this offseason

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Randall Cobb fan. I think that's an underrated acquisition right there. Add in Amari Cooper and Witten's return, and that offense should be really good this year.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Randall Cobb fan. I think that's an underrated acquisition right there. Add in Amari Cooper and Witten's return, and that offense should be really good this year.

The only problem is that Beasley's departure leaves Dallas without a true slot receiver.

• MyLittleGreenFriend
    3504 posts Member
    edited April 25
    My complete first round mock draft:
    1. Kyler Murray (Cardinals)
    2. Nick Bosa (49ers)
    3. Quinnen Williams (Jets)
    4. Josh Allen (Raiders)
    5. Devin White (Buccaneers)
    6. Ed Oliver (Giants)
    7. Jawaan Taylor (Jaguars)
    8. Rashan Gary (Lions)
    9. Jonah Williams (Bills)
    10. Devin Bush (Broncos)
    11. Dwayne Haskins (Bengals)
    12. T.J. Hockenson (Packers)
    13. Cody Ford (Dolphins)
    14. Christian Wilkins (Falcons)
    15. Drew Lock (Redskins)
    16. Brian Burns (Panthers)
    17. Daniel Jones (Giants)
    18. Garrett Bradbury (Vikings)
    19. Chris Lindstrom (Titans)
    20. D.K. Metcalf (Steelers)
    21. Clelin Ferrell (Seahawks)
    22. Erik McCoy (Ravens)
    23. Andre Dillard (Texans)
    24. Greedy Williams (Raiders)
    25. Jeffrey Simmons (Eagles)
    26. Jerry Tillary (Colts)
    27. Josh Jacobs (Raiders)
    28. Dexter Lawrence (Chargers)
    29. Darnell Savage (Seahawks)
    30. Dalton Risner (Packers)
    31. Chris Lindstrom (Rams)
    32. A.J. Brown (Patriots)
  • rollind24
    5832 posts Member
    @rollind24 @BeastlyCrawdad @AzorAhai I don’t mean to offend you guys, (and sorry if I am) but I feel like the Cowboys underachieve a little? They have a great QB, a great RB, and one of the best defenses in the league. What holds them back? On paper they look scary good, and because they have a young team I would bet that they could be the next dynasty.

I’m just now reading this.

I blame Jason Garrett. Play calling and time management ha been awful for years. Fez and Cowboys break up had faults on both sides but the solution to teams double covering him isn’t to just throw elsewhere. Where are the slants, pick routes etc? All you ever saw him do the last two years was run far and jump high.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • rollind24 wrote: »
    @rollind24 @BeastlyCrawdad @AzorAhai I don’t mean to offend you guys, (and sorry if I am) but I feel like the Cowboys underachieve a little? They have a great QB, a great RB, and one of the best defenses in the league. What holds them back? On paper they look scary good, and because they have a young team I would bet that they could be the next dynasty.

I blame Jason Garrett. Play calling and time management ha been awful for years. Fez and Cowboys break up had faults on both sides but the solution to teams double covering him isn’t to just throw elsewhere. Where are the slants, pick routes etc? All you ever saw him do the last two years was run far and jump high.

So much this. The coaching staff (at least the offensive staff) has been a problem for years. Personally I think our offensive coordinator Scott linehan was our biggest issue and now that he’s gone I hope the offensive can really open up and finally get some creativity.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    rollind24 wrote: »

So much this. The coaching staff (at least the offensive staff) has been a problem for years. Personally I think our offensive coordinator Scott linehan was our biggest issue and now that he’s gone I hope the offensive can really open up and finally get some creativity.

Last year I read an article about the fact that there is no Jason Garrett coaching tree. Coaches under him don't go on to spread the Garrett coaching philosophy, and a side-effect of that is the fact that there aren't many 'natural' fits in terms of new assistants to bring in (no one who has experience in his 'system').

The only problem is that Beasley's departure leaves Dallas without a true slot receiver.

I'm not too big of a Beasley fan. The guy had his moments, but I chalk his 'success' up to being the slot receiver in a fairly weak receiving corp (I'm talking pre-Cooper trade), and with Witten returning and Cobb (even though both are past their prime), I think the Cowboys are overall going to be improved in the passing game this year.

I was always lukewarm on how I felt about Dak, but that Saints game last year MAN! He turned me into a true fan.

Last year I read an article about the fact that there is no Jason Garrett coaching tree. Coaches under him don't go on to spread the Garrett coaching philosophy, and a side-effect of that is the fact that there aren't many 'natural' fits in terms of new assistants to bring in (no one who has experience in his 'system').

That’s probably true as Garret’s philosophy is chewing gum and constant clapping while trying to pretend he knows what he’s doing.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member

That’s probably true as Garret’s philosophy is chewing gum and constant clapping while trying to pretend he knows what he’s doing.

But how do you really feel?

:D
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    So, who do you think will go number 1 later today?

I'm guessing Murray, but not by the Cardinals.

Interesting. Which team do you think might trade up? The Jets and 49ers already have franchise QBs. I get the feeling that the Bucs will give Winston one last chance. If he has another bad season, then they'll have another high draft pick in a much better QB draft. New York might be willing to, but DG's comments make me think that they'll also wait another year. IMO Oakland might be the most likely option, but Derek Carr is pretty good and he's also young, so idk if they would take a QB. This draft is strange in that not many teams with high draft picks need QBs.

• AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member

Interesting. Which team do you think might trade up? The Jets and 49ers already have franchise QBs. I get the feeling that the Bucs will give Winston one last chance. If he has another bad season, then they'll have another high draft pick in a much better QB draft. New York might be willing to, but DG's comments make me think that they'll also wait another year. IMO Oakland might be the most likely option, but Derek Carr is pretty good and he's also young, so idk if they would take a QB. This draft is strange in that not many teams with high draft picks need QBs.

Well, I'm just going on the assumption that the Cardinals look totally incompetent if they draft a QB in the first round 2 years in a row. I'm not monitoring the draft very closely at all, but just seems to me that they would be better off NOT picking a QB this year.

Mine is a half-informed surface read of the situation. LOL.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Titans did the exact same thing they did last year in the first round.

We drafted a defensive player recovering from injury.

Rashaan Evans had limited play time for us all season last year, but people expect him to explode this season.

It sounds like this season will be a similar situation with Jeffery Simmons.

Rashaan Evans had limited play time for us all season last year, but people expect him to explode this season.

Simmons is awesome. You guys already have the third best scoring defense in the league, and you got another stud.

Simmons is awesome. You guys already have the third best scoring defense in the league, and you got another stud.

The only problem is that he has some character concerns, which is probably why he fell to the 19th pick.
  • Here's an interesting question. Who do you think is the best QB in your team's history? I feel like for all of us fans of teams in the AFC East it is kind of obvious, but what do @AzorAhai and the Cowboys fans think?
  • VaderFist501st
    414 posts Member
    edited May 7
    Here's an interesting question. Who do you think is the best QB in your team's history? I feel like for all of us fans of teams in the AFC East it is kind of obvious, but what do @AzorAhai and the Cowboys fans think?

Cowboys really had some great QB over the years. From roger, Troy and even tony all were amazing players. This will be controversial but tony is by far my favorite of the group. Great knowledge of the game and could read defenses so well. His knowledge of the game has really became apparent in his amazing work as a commentator. Loved watching him play and even though I like Dak I still wanted romo to return and win a super bowl with Dallas.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Here's an interesting question. Who do you think is the best QB in your team's history? I feel like for all of us fans of teams in the AFC East it is kind of obvious, but what do @AzorAhai and the Cowboys fans think?

Cowboys really had some great QB over the years. From roger, Troy and even tony all were amazing players. This will be controversial but tony is by far my favorite of the group. Great knowledge of the game and could read defenses so well. His knowledge of the game has really became apparent in his amazing work as a commentator. Loved watching him play and even though I like Dak I still wanted romo to return and win a super bowl with Dallas.

I'm a big Romo fan. I've never seen such a talented QB who has so many people who hated him for some reason.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member

I used to be a huge Warren Moon fan. He was my first favorite QB.

But I probably lean more towards Steve McNair these days.

If you asked me my favorite RB, that would be easier. Favorite franchise RB is Eddie George. Favorite RB of all time is Emmitt Smith, and I'll fight anyone who has a problem with that!

I'm kidding.

Mostly.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    Any word on Hard Knocks?
  • Here's an interesting question. Who do you think is the best QB in your team's history? I feel like for all of us fans of teams in the AFC East it is kind of obvious, but what do @AzorAhai and the Cowboys fans think?

I'm a big Romo fan. I've never seen such a talented QB who has so many people who hated him for some reason.

Tony Romo's passer rating > the passer ratings of:

Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, and Joe Flacco.

Actually, only four players in the history of pro football have higher passer ratings than Romo. You may have heard of them:

Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Russell Wilson.

I really don't understand the hate.
    Any word on Hard Knocks?

Not yet. It's looking like the Redskins are the favorites though, which makes sense given the whole QB situation.
  • AzorAhai
    1349 posts Member
    edited May 10

Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Alex Smith, Cam Newton, and Joe Flacco.

Actually, only four players in the history of pro football have higher passer ratings than Romo. You may have heard of them:

I think a lot of people despise successful teams, and while it's been forever since the Cowboys have won a bowl, they're one of the most successful organizations overall in NFL history.

I think it was easy for people to extend they're hate of the Cowboys to their QB for various reasons.

If that were all there was to it, then I'd say the case is settled. But I know multiple Cowboys fans who despise him as well. I always chalked that up to a bit of ignorance. Similar to how some die-hard fans can watch a game and see a fumble (because it's in their team's interest) when their clearly isn't one.

I despised Romo to begin with, but it was because I worked overseas from 2002 to 2005, and didn't get back into football again until 2007. I bought into all the negativity about him, because I didn't have anything else to go on. But after watching him for a few years, I realized that the naysayers were wrong!

I only own 3 NFL jerseys. Steve McNair, Eddie George, and Tony Romo.
  • YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    Cleveland Browns

I think a lot of people despise successful teams, and while it's been forever since the Cowboys have won a bowl, they're one of the most successful organizations overall in NFL history.

I think it was easy for people to extend they're hate of the Cowboys to their QB for various reasons.

If that were all there was to it, then I'd say the case is settled. But I know multiple Cowboys fans who despise him as well. I always chalked that up to a bit of ignorance. Similar to how some die-hard fans can watch a game and see a fumble (because it's in their team's interest) when their clearly isn't one.

I despised Romo to begin with, but it was because I worked overseas from 2002 to 2005, and didn't get back into football again until 2007. I bought into all the negativity about him, because I didn't have anything else to go on. But after watching him for a few years, I realized that the naysayers were wrong!

I only own 3 NFL jerseys. Steve McNair, Eddie George, and Tony Romo.

I would even make the case that Tony deserved MVP in 2014. Aaron Rodgers won MVP that year, but Tony had a better TD %, a better Yards / Attempt, a better comp %, and a better Passer Rating. A-Rod had a better int %, but Romo was better in literally everything else. They also were both 12-4.
  • hsf_
    1855 posts Member
    So as an Englishman I fail to see why you call this "Football" when you hardly ever kick the ball. I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm genuinely curious why you call it Football.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    So as an Englishman I fail to see why you call this "Football" when you hardly ever kick the ball. I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm genuinely curious why you call it Football.

Back when it was created, many sports were played on horses. It's called football because it's played on foot. That doesn't make much sense now, but it sure did back then.
  • hsf_
    1855 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »

Back when it was created, many sports were played on horses. It's called football because it's played on foot. That doesn't make much sense now, but it sure did back then.
    Doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider that there was a sport already named Football that had been going for over 100 years before the NFL.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    hsf_ wrote: »

Doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider that there was a sport already named Football that had been going for over 100 years before the NFL.

Football was not created when the NFL was created. According to Wikipedia, American Football was first played in 1869, and Association Football was first played in the "mid nineteenth century." You also have to consider that football/soccer didn't come to America until the turn of the century. It's understandable why Americans thought that the name football was open.