criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Gamescom 2019 Triple XP
Community Transmission

Jackfrags plays Battlefront 2 for first time since Nov 2017

Replies

• Relmets
    2222 posts Member
    Relmets wrote: »
    CS is not Conquest, but it's close enough. Jackfrags enjoyed himself with it.

it'll be close enough if they axe the capital ship phase. Even fragman himself couldn't compliment the mode without mentioning how CQ would be better

He complimented the mode just fine, but he did suggest we need Conquest. I posted that on page one before this train of an argument started. But again, that's also a good thing. Jackfrags adds to the list of YouTubers DICE deals with that want Conquest in Battlefront. DICE does care what these guys say, regardless of what people in here want to think.

So are we back to the perpetual "hoping for CQ" phase again? Everybody's been asking for a non linear large mode, in the form of CQ, since launch haven't they? And we got CS instead for absolutely no reason. What's the point of the non linear mode when half of it, including the victory condition, is GA 2.0?

I'm not sure it's for "no reason". I think they were looking for a game mode for the Clone Wars content. It ties better in with that era, given the large scale battles.
    I meant we got CS OVER CQ for no reason
    [+3748 posts]
  • Relmets wrote: »
    CS is not Conquest, but it's close enough. Jackfrags enjoyed himself with it.

it'll be close enough if they axe the capital ship phase. Even fragman himself couldn't compliment the mode without mentioning how CQ would be better

He complimented the mode just fine, but he did suggest we need Conquest. I posted that on page one before this train of an argument started. But again, that's also a good thing. Jackfrags adds to the list of YouTubers DICE deals with that want Conquest in Battlefront. DICE does care what these guys say, regardless of what people in here want to think.

So are we back to the perpetual "hoping for CQ" phase again? Everybody's been asking for a non linear large mode, in the form of CQ, since launch haven't they? And we got CS instead for absolutely no reason. What's the point of the non linear mode when half of it, including the victory condition, is GA 2.0?

I'm not sure it's for "no reason". I think they were looking for a game mode for the Clone Wars content. It ties better in with that era, given the large scale battles.
    I meant we got CS OVER CQ for no reason

Yeah I know. But data mines and such mentioned Titan mode for what we eventually knew as CS. Titan mode is Conquest but with Capital ship (Titan) takedowns happening AT THE SAME TIME, not in phases. That's the problem with CS. But Titan mode is a problem because it requires a much larger map than most GA maps. Titan Mode is from Battlefield 2142, and was only on the largest maps. There were small to medium sized maps in BF2142 that had just Conquest mode, no Titan mode.

Since I brought it up, what a great opportunity for...a Titan Tuturial video courtesy of EA and DICE. Enjoy!

• I don’t know about lifetime sales since EA never announced them, but Battlefront 2 outperformed Battlefield V at launch. EA announced 9m sales for Battlefront 2 in 2017, 7.3m sales for Battlefield V in 2018. Maybe Battlefield V caught up and passed Battlefront 2 since then, but EA hasn’t announced it. Battlefield V was a flop for sure, EA’s stock value fell to it’s lowest point in over a decade in financial Q3 2018, and EA blamed it on Battlefield V underperforming.

Yeah it hasn't been pretty. Thanks for the numbers. I never saw exact counts. I just know BFV has been heavily discounted since a couple weeks after launch. It was real quick. A lot of Battlefield players are back on BF4 and BF1 until they get BFV sorted out.

According to Microsoft, Battlefield V is the 20th most popular game on XB1. Battlefield 4 isn't currently in the top 48. Regardless of playercount, Battlefield 4 is still a much better game.

I play on PS4 which has about twice the player base of XB1. I never have any problems finding full servers of BF4, including some with DLC maps mixed in. I also don't have problems finding any games of Battlefront 2 modes. I can find HvV, Ewok Hunt, SA...modes people on other platforms have a hard time finding.

BFV is likely going to have a higher count because it's the new thing. BF4 is over 5 years old, and there's people tired of it. One interesting point though is that DICE last summer had a special event in both BF1 and BF4 to unlock skins for BFV. I'm sure they did that because there's a significant enough player base in BF4.

No surprise. You can still find lobbies on BF15, and that game's playerbase is maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the size of BF4
    My name is Bob

• I don’t know about lifetime sales since EA never announced them, but Battlefront 2 outperformed Battlefield V at launch. EA announced 9m sales for Battlefront 2 in 2017, 7.3m sales for Battlefield V in 2018. Maybe Battlefield V caught up and passed Battlefront 2 since then, but EA hasn’t announced it. Battlefield V was a flop for sure, EA’s stock value fell to it’s lowest point in over a decade in financial Q3 2018, and EA blamed it on Battlefield V underperforming.

Yeah it hasn't been pretty. Thanks for the numbers. I never saw exact counts. I just know BFV has been heavily discounted since a couple weeks after launch. It was real quick. A lot of Battlefield players are back on BF4 and BF1 until they get BFV sorted out.

According to Microsoft, Battlefield V is the 20th most popular game on XB1. Battlefield 4 isn't currently in the top 48. Regardless of playercount, Battlefield 4 is still a much better game.

I play on PS4 which has about twice the player base of XB1. I never have any problems finding full servers of BF4, including some with DLC maps mixed in. I also don't have problems finding any games of Battlefront 2 modes. I can find HvV, Ewok Hunt, SA...modes people on other platforms have a hard time finding.

BFV is likely going to have a higher count because it's the new thing. BF4 is over 5 years old, and there's people tired of it. One interesting point though is that DICE last summer had a special event in both BF1 and BF4 to unlock skins for BFV. I'm sure they did that because there's a significant enough player base in BF4.

No surprise. You can still find lobbies on BF15, and that game's playerbase is maybe 1/3 or 1/4 the size of BF4

Amazing what an extra 40 to 50 million players on the console will do right? LOL!!
  • I'm calling it right now. If DICE uses Battlefield 2142 as a template for Star Wars Battlefront 3, it will be a smash hit. No short cuts!! I mean:
    • legit Conquest mode on all maps
    • vehicles on the maps and all over the place, including transports
    • legit Titan mode on the largest maps and for at least PT and OT eras
    • 64 players minimum
    • More traditional classes with medics/revive, engineers to repair vehicles, support to drop ammo and turrets, etc.
    • A commander with commander assets on the ground like artillery, radar dish, etc. These were in BF2 at least, and I think BF2142. These could be blown up by enemies and repaired by engineers.

Amazing what an extra 40 to 50 million players on the console will do right? LOL!!

I meant that you can still find BF15 lobbies on both XB1 and PS4. Not sure why you're using that as a scapegoat either. The sample size of XB1 players is large enough to gain insights into PS4 too, with the one exception being console exclusive. I'd also challenge the idea that PS4 typically has twice the amount of Battlefront players. BF15 was always more popular on PS4, but the population was never close to double that of XB1. At least not any of the times I checked (which wasn't an infrequent occurrence).
    My name is Bob

I meant that you can still find BF15 lobbies on both XB1 and PS4. Not sure why you're using that as a scapegoat either. The sample size of XB1 players is large enough to gain insights into PS4 too, with the one exception being console exclusive. I'd also challenge the idea that PS4 typically has twice the amount of Battlefront players. BF15 was always more popular on PS4, but the population was never close to double that of XB1. At least not any of the times I checked (which wasn't an infrequent occurrence).

Scapegoat for what? PS4 legitimately has that many more consoles sold. 40-50 million is a lot of players. They just announced they are over 96 million consoles sold which puts them on pace to pass Wii and PS1 as the second highest selling console of all time before the end of the year.

Clearly not all of them are for Battlefront and Battlefield LOL. But that many more users means odds are good that it's the most likely place to not have trouble finding games. I can even get into Titanfall 2 matches in 30 seconds to a minute too, and that game didn't sell all that well thanks to a terrible launch date. There's even some people playing Killzone Shadow Fall last I checked...not a lot but enough.
  • On the subject of whether Jackfrags has influence or not, have you guys looked at how many views this thread already has? It's got over 1K views in just a day. It's certainly not for me and my writing skills LOL!!
  • On the subject of whether Jackfrags has influence or not, have you guys looked at how many views this thread already has? It's got over 1K views in just a day. It's certainly not for me and my writing skills LOL!!

At least 50 of those are from me
    My name is Bob

• YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    edited April 29
    Not good enough. New blasters and useful star cards are still needed. Haven’t seen any so far... (2 years now)
  • Jezzzah wrote: »
    First time post here.

For what it's worth I have bought the game based on JackFrags video this week.

I mainly play BF series games so I know JF and his videos very well.

I've started playing the campaign (which surprisingly is quite good so far).

Anyone recommend a good up to date video guide series (or youtuber) I could follow? This plays a lot differently to the BF series and I feel a little lost :)

These map guides might help you out if you’re playing Galactic Assault. I’m a believer that when you’re just starting out, map knowledge and understanding the flow of battle is everything. Nothing more annoying than wandering around and getting shot over and over again by people who know flank routes better than you.

Hope you enjoy the game. I’ve been having fun with it since launch. It’s in a bit of a messy state right now because Anakin is vastly overpowered and hurts the gameplay. But hopefully that’ll be remedied soon.
    First time post here.

Anyone recommend a good up to date video guide series (or youtuber) I could follow? This plays a lot differently to the BF series and I feel a little lost :)

Welcome to Battlefront!

The campaign is definitely good. It's a big reason why I got the game in the first place. I knew I'd at least have a campaign to play.

I've never looked at YouTube guides for this game myself. You might want to check out the channels for a couple of the main Star Wars YouTubers like StarWarsHQ or BattlefrontUpdates. BattlefrontUpdates is apparently the one JackFrags was watching that got him interested in Battlefront 2 again.
  • Relmets
    2222 posts Member
    Jezzzah wrote: »
    First time post here.

s9429lw8fhfx.gif
    [+3748 posts]
    First time post here.

s9429lw8fhfx.gif

Yep

9zehjcr7qth1.gif

• Relmets
    2222 posts Member
    Oh look, they've gone after the new player who blew up their JackFrags doesn't matter narrative. Way to make sure he understands why DICE listens to Reddit instead, guys. LOL!!

Actually I was thinking to myself how funny it would be if after this thread some fresh account just showed up talking about how they're here from the jackfrags video

and then sure enough LMAOOO
    r0rl9chrd7ac.png
    lldyy7sxnwhd.png
    tenor.gif

[+3748 posts]
  • Xerogon
    479 posts Member
    This is the only Jack that motivates me to play battlefront 2, he also has his share of followers.

0lcovb1mjmeh.gif
    First time post here.

Welcome to the forums. Campaign was fun and has some beautiful maps. Plenty of guides to follow and plenty of members here willing to share tips/suggestions but just jump into the game and play. You can check the announcements section of the forums for bonus xp events which will help you level up quicker unless you like star fighters. Might want to list your platform and region so you can play with others or just go Solo. Good luck and have fun.
    #StarWars-y

Just because there are maybe twice as many PS4s sold there (we never have seen a proper number for XboxOne consoles) doesnt mean that every sold PS4 is Online or that every owner is playing Online.
    The populations for battlefield games in the past werent doubled on PS4... same with Battlefront.

Sry but you have to accept that Battlefront 2 isnt doing so hot. And any EA Game Shill or any other youtuber wont change that anytime soon.
    Oh look, they've gone after the new player who blew up their JackFrags doesn't matter narrative. Way to make sure he understands why DICE listens to Reddit instead, guys. LOL!!

Actually I was thinking to myself how funny it would be if after this thread some fresh account just showed up talking about how they're here from the jackfrags video

and then sure enough LMAOOO
    r0rl9chrd7ac.png
    lldyy7sxnwhd.png
    tenor.gif

hhsivmg9jxkp.jpeg
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13

Just because there are maybe twice as many PS4s sold there (we never have seen a proper number for XboxOne consoles) doesnt mean that every sold PS4 is Online or that every owner is playing Online.
    The populations for battlefield games in the past werent doubled on PS4... same with Battlefront.

Sry but you have to accept that Battlefront 2 isnt doing so hot. And any EA Game Shill or any other youtuber wont change that anytime soon.

No one said there are double the Battlefront or Battlefield players on PS4. I don't know where you guys keep getting that. You have no idea how it's doing. The developers said their user numbers are back to launch month levels, so clearly that's not bad.

No one said there are double the Battlefront or Battlefield players on PS4. I don't know where you guys keep getting that. You have no idea how it's doing. The developers said their user numbers are back to launch month levels, so clearly that's not bad.

Last message before I take a break from this thread: 6081ao8o67xh.jpg
    My name is Bob

ZephanUnbound's post says it all about the sales. 9 million in sales for Battlefront 2 during Christmas 2017, outperforming Battlefield V's numbers last year. This isn't made up numbers. This is EA's reported numbers. This isn't taking Destiny 2 player numbers and trying to extrapolate Battlefront 2 numbers.

Of course we have no idea how many of those copies were sold in November 2017 or how many users were online at any given time. But 9 million copies across 3 platforms is outstanding sales for any game but those with the highest expectations. EA's corporate projects and desire for Battlefront 2 to be a cash cow is what makes it seem like a bad launch.
  • I don’t think anyone is saying that this game is incredibly popular. But it is nice to see this game get some good press and appreciation now and again. The game has its problems but it has kept me occupied and enjoying myself for 18 months.

I enjoy seeing new players come to the game and realize it is not some kind of evil money grubbing affront on gaming.

I don’t quite understand the crowd of people on here who seem to be rooting for the game’s failure a year and a half into its lifespan. It seems like they want DICE to be punished for some kind of sin of not making the game they wanted it to be.

I don’t feel that way. The game has its flaws (coughAnakincough) but even when I get distracted by other games I come back and enjoy myself.

Feel free to show me player count numbers to show my my enjoyment is wrong.
  • Additionally, any kind of growth in player count hopefully increases the likelihood of a longer lifespan or new content. So every new player is only good news to me.
  • Additionally, any kind of growth in player count hopefully increases the likelihood of a longer lifespan or new content. So every new player is only good news to me.

Agreed. I'm not sure why people on here want to argue against positive press and numbers for this game. This game is finally getting traction and looking like something that could be supported into 2020.

ZephanUnbound's post says it all about the sales. 9 million in sales for Battlefront 2 during Christmas 2017, outperforming Battlefield V's numbers last year. This isn't made up numbers. This is EA's reported numbers. This isn't taking Destiny 2 player numbers and trying to extrapolate Battlefront 2 numbers.

Of course we have no idea how many of those copies were sold in November 2017 or how many users were online at any given time. But 9 million copies across 3 platforms is outstanding sales for any game but those with the highest expectations. EA's corporate projects and desire for Battlefront 2 to be a cash cow is what makes it seem like a bad launch.

I thought you would go there again. It sounds like you need to read the second page again.

I don't need to extrapolate anything. Battlefield V is more popular than BF17. It's been significantly higher on Microsoft's official tracker for quite some time. I can provide you with the list if you'd like.
    My name is Bob

• Even disregarding that, the "extrapolated" response in nonsensical. What I posted is factual information as of the last update to Microsoft's tracker: Destiny 2 is more popular on XB1, and that was the playercount of the day in reference on Destiny 2 taken directly from destinytracker.com, a highly reputable website.

These are the facts:

1) Destiny 2 is more popular than BF17 on Xbox (and has been for months on end)
    2) The playercount for that day on Destiny 2 (Saturday, I believe it was) was just unded 440,000 combined players (PS4, XB1, PC), even disregarding potential duplicates for PvE and PvP.

Those are solid numbers for an older game, but that would not be lauded by EA's board of directors on launch day of a new Battlefront game. Anything but.
    My name is Bob

• Cheers for the recommendations and the welcome from a few of you here. Not sure about some of the other responses...I guess there are some contentious issues over the game underneath it all. I suppose I'll judge this for myself in time.

• JediJam wrote: »
    Haha it amazing seeing how determinedly negative some people are. Some guy played the game, liked it and broadcast it to loads of new people. Some game devs will actually sponsor youtubers and streamers to play their games because they know how effective that is at bringing in new players. Its how fortnite ended up so popular.

And I love how people claim anyone who is actually positive about the game or actually enjoys playing it is simply either lying or stupid haha.

this

That's why I don't blame the devs for being mostly active everywhere except the forums.

On the Battlefront subreddit, EA posted the most downvoted comment in Reddit history. It has nearly 700,000 downvotes. No other comment in Reddit history has 100,000 downvotes yet. It resulted in negative coverage from game outlets and even traditional cable news companies such as Fox News. That publicity even gained the eyes of state legislators in Hawaii, who labeled EA's MTXs as child gambling. The negative publicity cost EA game sales and resulted in them scrapping MTXs, costing tens of millions in revenue and basically eliminating any hope of a live service.

That was because of Reddit, not us. That negative publicity over having the most downvoted comment wouldn't have happened if they stuck to posting here.
    My name is Bob

• ArchAngeL_777
    1789 posts Member
    edited April 30
    Cheers for the recommendations and the welcome from a few of you here. Not sure about some of the other responses...I guess there are some contentious issues over the game underneath it all. I suppose I'll judge this for myself in time.

I'm sure you'll like it. Most of the negativity on here comes from long time players that chose to stick things out when the launch went bad. I waited to put time into the multiplayer until after many of the problems were fixed and we started to get new content again. For a new player like yourself, the game is in a good spot now.
    JediJam wrote: »
    Haha it amazing seeing how determinedly negative some people are. Some guy played the game, liked it and broadcast it to loads of new people. Some game devs will actually sponsor youtubers and streamers to play their games because they know how effective that is at bringing in new players. Its how fortnite ended up so popular.

And I love how people claim anyone who is actually positive about the game or actually enjoys playing it is simply either lying or stupid haha.

this

That's why I don't blame the devs for being mostly active everywhere except the forums.

On the Battlefront subreddit, EA posted the most downvoted comment in Reddit history. It has nearly 700,000 downvotes. No other comment in Reddit history has 100,000 downvotes yet. It resulted in negative coverage from game outlets and even traditional cable news companies such as Fox News. That publicity even gained the eyes of state legislators in Hawaii, who labeled EA's MTXs as child gambling. The negative publicity cost EA game sales and resulted in them scrapping MTXs, costing tens of millions in revenue and basically eliminating any hope of a live service.

That was because of Reddit, not us. That negative publicity over having the most downvoted comment wouldn't have happened if they stuck to posting here.

So now Reddit is responsible for the loot box controversy? LOL!! Major gaming outlets were all over the loot boxes. Not because of Reddit. They reviewed the game and played the game. IGN's reviewer called the loot box progression offensive. This was going to blow up in EA's face one way or the other. Posting on this forum wouldn't stop that.

He's clearly making the point that despite you guys pointing out all the """negativity""" here they faced a much larger initial backlash on reddit.

And if you're going to come back with "well the redditors were rightly upset with what was a very terrible MTX system," then how come the people here aren't "rightly" upset as well? How come they're just "negative" for seemingly no reason? As if users here have it out for the devs or something lmao.

"initial" is the key word there. Someone posted the same Jackfrags video on Reddit, and it's getting the exact opposite reaction. It's mostly positive and people excited for more good news for the game. There's a group of posters on these forums that have to drag down every single thread with mostly the same arguments...week after week, month after month. When they don't have a legit complaint, they'll make something up.

There were posts about the loot boxes on these forums. They just don't get the same public exposure as Reddit. I guarantee that had EA put their response on these forums, it would have gotten posted and linked on Reddit. Nothing would have changed.
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member

this

That was gamers rising up. While the system wasn't 'terrible' from a ptw aspect, if they got away with it the games coming out now would all be ptw.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    Cheers for the recommendations and the welcome from a few of you here. Not sure about some of the other responses...I guess there are some contentious issues over the game underneath it all. I suppose I'll judge this for myself in time.

I'm sure you'll like it. Most of the negativity on here comes from long time players that chose to stick things out when the launch went bad. I waited to put time into the multiplayer until after many of the problems were fixed and we started to get new content again. For a new player like yourself, the game is in a good spot now.

Exactly.

I also took a long break from this game last fall until recently.

This game is what it should have been at launch and I can't imagine how amazing it must be for brand new players who will never know what the first 6 months of this game was like.

this

So now Reddit is responsible for the loot box controversy? LOL!! Major gaming outlets were all over the loot boxes. Not because of Reddit. They reviewed the game and played the game. IGN's reviewer called the loot box progression offensive. This was going to blow up in EA's face one way or the other. Posting on this forum wouldn't stop that.

He's clearly making the point that despite you guys pointing out all the """negativity""" here they faced a much larger initial backlash on reddit.

And if you're going to come back with "well the redditors were rightly upset with what was a very terrible MTX system," then how come the people here aren't "rightly" upset as well? How come they're just "negative" for seemingly no reason? As if users here have it out for the devs or something lmao.

"initial" is the key word there. Someone posted the same Jackfrags video on Reddit, and it's getting the exact opposite reaction. It's mostly positive and people excited for more good news for the game. There's a group of posters on these forums that have to drag down every single thread with mostly the same arguments...week after week, month after month. When they don't have a legit complaint, they'll make something up.

There were posts about the loot boxes on these forums. They just don't get the same public exposure as Reddit. I guarantee that had EA put their response on these forums, it would have gotten posted and linked on Reddit. Nothing would have changed.

And? That "initial" backlash resulted in so much negative publicity that EA was basically forced into removing MTXs. Those news stations were mainly covering the fact that the Reddit post was the most downvoted in history. The MTX story wouldn't have been covered by the likes of Fox News had EA not posted that response on Reddit.

The reality is, scrapping MTXs cost this game tens of millions in revenue. That money was partially meant to cover live service. Was it a good thing? That's for you to say. Point is, negativity from Reddit negatively cost this game in a way this forum is incapable of.
    My name is Bob

• JediJam wrote: »

this

It would've been covered, but it wouldn't have generated nearly as much publicity. The Reddit post was covered by mega cable powerhouses. Typically, smaller gaming outlets are the only ones who create stories about that sort of thing. Instead, everyone was going on about it. It gained the attention of state governments.
    My name is Bob

• Even if you believe the MTX situation would've eventually backfired, I don't see how you can deny that the Reddit situation negatively impacted the game in at least some manner.
    My name is Bob

• bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    Even if you believe the MTX situation would've eventually backfired, I don't see how you can deny that the Reddit situation negatively impacted the game in at least some manner.

Not really, the reddit reaction was a win for competitive gaming.

With all the choices they have for monetization, progression in a mp game should never be the route they go.

h846398gb27k.png

• SSJSnoop
    2036 posts Member
    Bringing to light how heinous lootboxes were in this game was a positive thing.
  • bfloo wrote: »

this

That was gamers rising up. While the system wasn't 'terrible' from a ptw aspect, if they got away with it the games coming out now would all be ptw.

Do you smell that? That’s the sweet scent of the lingering messiah complex of the people who destroyed this game’s launch with overreactions and crusades and then complain about its lack of support.
  • bfloo
    15531 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

this

Do you smell that? That’s the sweet scent of the lingering messiah complex of the people who destroyed this game’s launch with overreactions and crusades and then complain about its lack of support.

Sorry, I don't support ptw.

h846398gb27k.png

Even if you believe the MTX situation would've eventually backfired, I don't see how you can deny that the Reddit situation negatively impacted the game in at least some manner.

Not really, the reddit reaction was a win for competitive gaming.

With all the choices they have for monetization, progression in a mp game should never be the route they go.

It's okay if you oppose MTXs. I'm saying that it hurt BF17 in terms future content solely for that game. We'd have more by now had the blowup not occurred. In some people's mind, it was worth it to stop a shady practice. You seem to be in that camp
    My name is Bob

bfloo wrote: »

this

Sorry, I don't support ptw.

Yeah. Thank god people can’t buy a card that gives Boba 100% damage reduction while flying and shooting his rockets. Those whales would have been able to destroy everyone for that whole month while all the poor people leveled up.
  • SSJSnoop wrote: »
    Bringing to light how heinous lootboxes were in this game was a positive thing.

You're missing the point. I'm not picking a side on whether it was good or bad. I'm only pointing out that the blowup --- which included tons of negative publicity from the Reddit post -- reduced the amount of future content solely for this game. Was it worth it? Perhaps. That's up for you to decide
    My name is Bob