criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The Last Days of Heroes vs Villains

Prev1
Billkwando
1612 posts Member
edited May 20
Since next week DICE will be turning out the lights on Heroes vs. Villains, forever, in favor of the new Hero Blast, I wanted to give a shout out to those folks who have debated alongside me, in favor of making Hero Blast a new mode, and keeping Heroes Vs. Villains (with any improvements DICE would like to make to the target system in order to prevent glitchers and runners). I appreciate all of you, with a special thanks to the few who stated that they actually hate the target system, but dislike seeing content removed from the game even more, and advocated for it to stay.

I decided, for this final weekend, that it would be a good idea to memorialize some of my fights, while chosen as the target, in honor of my fellow Target System enthusiasts, who also are not runners or glitchers.

I'm pouring out some green milk for you, my homies.

Let this serve as a reminder that we who genuinely enjoy the strategy of the Target System do exist, and that we stand and fight......unless a brief tactical retreat is required!

Thanks,
Billkwando
Post edited by Billkwando on

Replies

• Billkwando
    1612 posts Member
    edited May 20
    Great post alooy me to add to the memorial

Thems was some whoopin's! I don't think you lost once as the target with Maul. The Vader was great. Vader does not run, he dispenses savage beatings while calmly walking backwards...
  • tenor.gif
    Behold... The Rise Of ̶S̶k̶y̶w̶a̶l̶k̶e̶r̶ Captain Phasma

captain-phasma-gif-10.gif
  • I agree that they should make it it’s own new mode, but tbh, I also welcome the change. I try to not be a “runner” but I find myself at times doing so. On the 1 hand, because hide and seek is a fun time. And 2. Because man forget 4v1ing a team of lightsaber heroes because my team cant figure out how objective games work. (Seriously, protect the package. I have a giant Icon over my head telling you to defend me. If you can’t figure that out then go play HS instead.)
  • mastery0ta
    6032 posts Member
    If only we could have both. Farewell sweet prince
  • ryanjk
    558 posts Member
    Wait hvv is going away ?
  • Billkwando
    1612 posts Member
    edited May 20
    ryanjk wrote: »
    Wait hvv is going away ?

Basically. They're changing the rules to Hero Blast/TDM, essentially creating a new mode, but still calling it Heroes Vs Villains. My fellow forum members' calls to create Hero Blast as a new mode, and to keep the classic HvV (with any alterations the devs see fit to fix running & hiding), have gone unanswered. In addition, we have received a heap of salt from the folks who have an agenda for TDM to be the only option (not counting Hero Shodown, which nobody does).

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/136709/community-transmission-heroes-vs-villains-changes/p1

We've been saying that if there can be only one mode, DICE should conduct a real vote, with a tile in-game to refer folks to the forum, because all those folks who play HvV but don't frequent the forums or reddit are about to have the rug pulled out from under them.
  • YODA100
    1067 posts Member
    Billkwando wrote: »
    Since next week DICE will be turning out the lights on Heroes vs. Villains, forever, in favor of the new Hero Blast, I wanted to give a shout out to those folks who have debated alongside me, in favor of making Hero Blast a new mode, and keeping Heroes Vs. Villains (with any improvements DICE would like to make to the target system in order to prevent glitchers and runners). I appreciate all of you, with a special thanks to the few who stated that they actually hate the target system, but dislike seeing content removed from the game even more, and advocated for it to stay.

I decided, for this final weekend, that it would be a good idea to memorialize some of my fights, while chosen as the target, in honor of my fellow Target System enthusiasts, who also are not runners or glitchers.

Let this serve as a reminder that we who genuinely enjoy the strategy of the Target System do exist, and that we stand and fight......unless a brief tactical retreat is required!

Thanks,
    Billkwando

Bye bye target system! 😍 <3
  • It was fun, but your teammates didn't. :unamused:
    Current Topics:
    Hero/Villain Star Card Concepts
    Leia Organa Ability Improvements

cggn8altuzp0.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

❝ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏᴛ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ. ɪᴛ ɪꜱ ꜰᴏᴜɴᴅ. ❞
    - Leia Organa

• @RogueOneKenobi 's and my killstreak records in HvV. I'll miss great matches like these. It was because of runners that we could show them their sneaky tactics were no match for teamplay and perseverence. HvV had several layers of tactical decisions and mindset. Now however, it'll become a mindless rampage. So sad.

85 Kills as just 1 player. This is proof that a 25 kill game will be over damn quick. Needs to be a lot more for TDM.

I too will miss HvV. The target system led to many fun strategic games. But I also will not miss the boba runners and out of map hiders. People will exploit anything to win, a real cancer those people are. The ultimate solution is to fix map glitches, but instead they'll just take the whole concept away. Oh well.

• Unwarycoin
    5458 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    ryanjk wrote: »
    Wait hvv is going away ?

Basically. They're changing the rules to Hero Blast/TDM, essentially creating a new mode, but still calling it Heroes Vs Villains. My fellow forum members' calls to create Hero Blast as a new mode, and to keep the classic HvV (with any alterations the devs see fit to fix running & hiding), have gone unanswered. In addition, we have received a heap of salt from the folks who have an agenda for TDM to be the only option (not counting Hero Shodown, which nobody does).

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/136709/community-transmission-heroes-vs-villains-changes/p1

We've been saying that if there can be only one mode, DICE should conduct a real vote, with a tile in-game to refer folks to the forum, because all those folks who play HvV but don't frequent the forums or reddit are about to have the rug pulled out from under them.

How great would it be to have a vote option pop up in the game?

Should be like this...

Pop up on main screen says, “We are looking at making a significant change to the game and would like your feedback back, would you like to enter your vote - yes or no”

If yes, next screen...

“Which would you prefer...

- Current HvV mode
    - Replace HvV with a mode that is like Blast but with all heroes.
    - No preference
    - Doesn’t matter to me because I don’t plan on playing that mode.”

Next screen...

Thank you for offering your feedback!

Nothing is going to be perfect but it is more reliable than listening to forum complaints if you really want to make changes based on what the community thinks.

Otherwise, just do a good job at designing the game and make sure it really is fun and really works well and just live with your decisions.

I never believed that listening to internet backlash was a good idea.
    I don’t know how this new mode is going to play out, but I’m not sticking around this game to find out.

#JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Psy3d
    610 posts Member
    I really like how HvV is with the target system and the thrill of chase or surviving. Wish they made a separate HvV tdm/blast whatever they like to call it and left the OG HvV as is for those who wants it. Oh well the end is nigh...
  • Billkwando wrote: »
    KresusFIN wrote: »
    What's preventing those strategic, fun games when everyone, rather than just one person, becomes a target?

I'm still going to maintain the change punishes no one but those with no business in a multiplayer versus mode to begin with.

Literally, keep playing as you always have. That one guy not doing anything just doesn't get to influence points / rounds anymore in the slightest.

“We choose to be the target in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

Nice.
  • Royox
    50 posts Member
    Last day of HvV and people still think they can beat a full team of Sith covering a Phasma with the droid planted.
  • Psy3d
    610 posts Member
    edited May 20
    Royox wrote: »
    people still think they can beat a full team of Sith covering a Phasma with the droid planted.

I don't think...I know. Back in the days had to rely on Han's detonite airburst...Luke's super push and Chewie's bowcaster spam - to move her away from her camp droid. Now I bring that tinhead to my feet thanks to Anakin...pull range card is the best for troll camp plebs who use Phasma/Bossk or just annoy with Boba. Been yearning for a pull ability user in LS for a while...and the chosen one delivered.

Anyway now with this tdm mode every stamina/blaster cooler card is a need... where it's available for the chosen hero.

• I like the target system, but haven't commented yet. I can't help but think that TDM will be kind of like playing 4 on 4 half court basketball with 4 basketballs. It's going to be chaos. But the fact that everyone says that TDM in Battlefront 2015 was actually fun (I really never played that mode) makes me think maybe it has a chance...but I'm very, very, worried.

On a positive note they made sure to say they can "make changes" to it in the future, so they might have been implying, "you guys are getting what you are asking for, but if you hate it we can put it back like we had it." Time will tell.
  • KresusFIN
    2702 posts Member
    Last day of HvV and people still think they can beat a full team of Sith covering a Phasma with the droid planted.

....Phasma and 3 Sith? Jesus, that's horrible. I'd feel bad for any LS team that COULDN'T deal with that. All LS needs to do is shoot (shocker. No lightsaber rambo tactics :OOOOO ) the droid / Phasma down, and they'll all die without too much hassle.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • Liz4rD
    966 posts Member

Thanks,
    Billkwando

Thank you very much, Bill.

And Hail to the Heroes that fought brave and well...

• Bye bye to all the runners and map exploiters
  • OcDoc wrote: »
    Terranova4 wrote: »
    Bye bye to all the runners and map exploiters

Hello new set of runners and campers.

Can ignore them & farm their teammates
  • OcDoc wrote: »

But What If..
    They happen to be on your team >:)
  • Lagodaki
    900 posts Member
    edited May 21

....Phasma and 3 Sith? Jesus, that's horrible. I'd feel bad for any LS team that COULDN'T deal with that. All LS needs to do is shoot (shocker. No lightsaber rambo tactics :OOOOO ) the droid / Phasma down, and they'll all die without too much hassle.
    Phasma’s droid is made of plastic, “Our technology is superior” no it ain’t

Lightsabers are even more effective at destroying it now. It’s useless unless the entire team ignores the droid
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • OcDoc
    1281 posts Member

Everyone will run, so good luck with that.

• Lagodaki
    900 posts Member

There’s no hiding with Rey and Boba in the game
    zzwptdfip6uv.gif

I'm the arbiter of consumer satisfaction
  • Relmets
    2214 posts Member
    Target system felt like a mode designed for 4v4 premades on a more "competitive" level, for lack of a better term. Not blueberry teams thrown together in matchmaking. At the very least it should have been kept as a private match preset.

In fact if this game had server browsers and custom servers like battlefield you could keep a whole plethora of gametype presets without having to worry about "splitting the playerbase." And player regulated servers could more easily deal with people trying to exploit the system in the first place.

Can't say I'll miss the TS though
    [+3748 posts]
  • rollind24
    5345 posts Member
    edited May 21
    BF 2’s HvVs isn’t going anywhere though, you can still play a mode “called” HvVs
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Typical EA to remove something instead of fixing it. I think the only thing that had to be done was make it so that if you and a teammate die at the same time you would respawn next to each other. Least favorite mechanic of the game was seeing a teammate spawn on the opposite side of the map from me with the other team clustered in the middle. But now I can't even try to enjoy it
  • jay1c3
    46 posts Member
    Good riddance i say..
    BF1 hvsv was great and this one has been riddled with problems.
    This will make the game fairer as players such as boba fett can not just run and hide in impossible spots.
    It will hopefully end the run in effect when one team is dominating as a group and kill each opponent as they spawn and run in.
  • CC_1010
    989 posts Member
    I will also post a match. Perhaps even my last match with the target system🤧
  • Too many cowards and glitchy wall advocates completely ruined it. You can't even play Bespin in HvV right now without some cowardly hero running into the glitched wall above the staircase (y'all know the one). Dice couldnt figure out how to penalize the runners and glitch users so it's way best this way. Now people will actually have to get good at the game.
  • KresusFIN
    2702 posts Member

No team has 4 perfect choices for running. Everyone can "Try" all they like. They'll just be sent face first into the dirt, where all cowards eventually end up.
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"
  • OcDoc
    1281 posts Member

No team has 4 perfect choices for running. Everyone can "Try" all they like. They'll just be sent face first into the dirt, where all cowards eventually end up.

The only one you will be sending into the dirt is the good player stuck with bad running randoms. Over and over again the brave will die from being outnumbered and the cowards will just run and run and run and get in a quick hit and then run some more. No fun in that and in fact I don’t think I can stomach pounding on good players unfairly like that.

• SSJSnoop
    1953 posts Member
    Awesome vid OP! I was surprised that almost all the kills are throwing people off the map lol

Here's one from way back in Jan 2018 and is good example why I want a quit penalty:

• Heroes vs. Villains has progressively been eroded since they started with all those patches after launch. Nov/Dec 2017 were the "glory days" of the mode. In my opinion, the true fun of HvV finally died with the stamina changes they made; I can't believe a combat game got turned into limiting how many swings you can perform until you are virtually defenseless because you run out of "stamina" & need to recharge. With force users, doesn't their strength come from the Force?
    I don't know why people started playing so cowardly when being the target, with the running and hiding. I've always played the same as the target: aggressively and if I die I die. I'll live to fight another day. I don't know why "the target" became this big "thing"; it was just a metric of how a win or loss was determined. Everyone wants to win, but was all the buffoonery worth it to get a W? Now there is another change, unwanted; BF2 hardly resembles what it started as.
  • Billkwando
    1612 posts Member
    edited May 21
    Typical EA to remove something instead of fixing it. I think the only thing that had to be done was make it so that if you and a teammate die at the same time you would respawn next to each other. Least favorite mechanic of the game was seeing a teammate spawn on the opposite side of the map from me with the other team clustered in the middle. But now I can't even try to enjoy it

Exactly. The problem is, and that a lot of the target system detractors are overlooking, is that DICE hasn't even said they plan on doing anything about the spawn problem in TDM either, so some folks are assuming an awful lot. To the other guy that mentioned Boba: I've been suggesting they killswitch Boba out of HvV (until it could eventually be fixed) for months. They didn't have to scrap the whole mode for that.
    Piscettios wrote: »
    I’m in this camp. Made sense to me to have both. If the numbers dropped too much, then yeah you make the switch to one. But it’s pretty clear from the sample numbers here and elsewhere it will be missed by as many that wanted it gone.

If the player population is doing as well as they claim, they should be adding things not changing.

Agreed 100%.

The only one you will be sending into the dirt is the good player stuck with bad running randoms. Over and over again the brave will die from being outnumbered and the cowards will just run and run and run and get in a quick hit and then run some more. No fun in that and in fact I don’t think I can stomach pounding on good players unfairly like that.

This. Well put. I'm always the guy trying to fight off 2 or 3 or 4 guys, because my team is messing around someplace halfway across the map, or because they seem to think we're playing TDM already, and ignoring the target. Anyone who's ever watched a couple of my HvV videos has probably realized that killstreaks aren't a thing that even enters my mind. I'm all about the individual engagements, as well as readily sacrificing myself for a target kill:

SSJSnoop wrote: »
    Awesome vid OP! I was surprised that almost all the kills are throwing people off the map lol

Here's one from way back in Jan 2018 and is good example why I want a quit penalty:

LOL yeah, I do love tossing people off! In this case though, I limited the video to fights that actually occurred this past weekend (w/ the exception of the Jabba's Palace clip with me inexplicably running up the chute, that one is actually old, but I included it for the "lolrunning" factor). I didn't use any other old clips, or else I could've had a bit more variety. Hot target on target action didn't happen as much as I might've liked, or I would've had more clips. I really wanted to make a point with the "killing the target as the target" aspect, for the folks who just don't seem to get it, and I didn't include as many of me fighting everybody else as the target. I probably should've, but I didn't want the video to be too long. I've actually made more since then.

I'll check your video out later, when I'm at home. :)

Heroes vs. Villains has progressively been eroded since they started with all those patches after launch. Nov/Dec 2017 were the "glory days" of the mode. In my opinion, the true fun of HvV finally died with the stamina changes they made; I can't believe a combat game got turned into limiting how many swings you can perform until you are virtually defenseless because you run out of "stamina" & need to recharge. With force users, doesn't their strength come from the Force?
    I don't know why people started playing so cowardly when being the target, with the running and hiding. I've always played the same as the target: aggressively and if I die I die. I'll live to fight another day. I don't know why "the target" became this big "thing"; it was just a metric of how a win or loss was determined. Everyone wants to win, but was all the buffoonery worth it to get a W? Now there is another change, unwanted; BF2 hardly resembles what it started as.

I do enjoy some good buffoonery from time to time, but I know what you mean. ;)

As for the stamina changes, I feel they were necessary. Yes, it has made the game a lot harder, along with being unable to block on the ground (something I didn't even realize I was doing). I think the latter actually had a larger effect. If you get knocked down and there are a couple sabers around, you're pretty much guaranteed dead.

The stamina changes have basically completely eliminated block spam, which was a big problem at times. I actually have to pay attention to my stamina meter now, but I'm getting used to it, and rising to the challenge is raising my game as well. For example, that clip on Hoth where I'm fighting Rey, Luke, and Kenobi. I know I'm going to have to do something soon, before my block fails, and boy do I. LOL I surprised myself with that one. :D

As far as running out of stamina while swinging, I just pepper some dodges and other moves in there to try and make sure I never run out. I do use the stamina card on Kylo, but on Luke I can't bear to have anything but my 2 push cards, and the larger repulse, which is great for stopping d00ds from retreating.

I think block has become more unreliable at times, which I think folks may conflate with the stamina issue....along with the fact that the block animation doesn't always show, causing you to waste abilities on a blocking opponent.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    3445 posts Member
    edited May 21
    ‘Tis the last day... The last day of an era...
    Goodbye Target... 🎯

Hello Targets:
    🎯🎯🎯🎯
  • I’ve been arguing in favor of the target system but I will say I’ve been playing HvV all this week and I’ve encountered a few teams today that have made me want to burn the mode to the ground and force these absolute trash monster players to play TDM so they can’t use those horrible exploits.

But stepping back from the abyss, yeah, two modes. I don’t see a downside.

I feel your pain
    Check these posts out:
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    What's preventing those strategic, fun games when everyone, rather than just one person, becomes a target?

I'm still going to maintain the change punishes no one but those with no business in a multiplayer versus mode to begin with.

Literally, keep playing as you always have. That one guy not doing anything just doesn't get to influence points / rounds anymore in the slightest.

When you change the rules of a game, people play differently. That seems pretty obvious.