criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Galaxy's Edge Opening Ceremony Live Stream-also, any plans to visit, desire as map, thoughts, etc?

lowell
1652 posts Member
edited May 30

Replies

• rollind24
    5951 posts Member
    I’ll be in LA next weekend too. I’ll visit it when the new ride opens up later this year though. Very tempting to go the 2nd weekend though
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    edited May 30
    rollind24 wrote: »
    I’ll be in LA next weekend too. I’ll visit it when the new ride opens up later this year though. Very tempting to go the 2nd weekend though

Feel free to share any interesting tidbits on the experience on here. It's still odd the Rise of the Resistance ride won't be opening until the fall. And it looks very likely Batuu is in TROS, as they're cross-coordinating ROTR to be set between TLJ and it. But we'll need more confirmation on that. I would love to play a map of Batuu at the end of the year in the game, though.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    The live stream just started, tune in, everyone.
  • rollind24
    5951 posts Member
    lowell wrote: »

Feel free to share any interesting tidbits on the experience on here. It's still odd the Rise of the Resistance ride won't be opening until the fall. And it looks very likely Batuu is in TROS, as they're cross-coordinating ROTR to be set between TLJ and it. But we'll need more confirmation on that. I would love to play a map of Batuu at the end of the year in the game, though.

For sure, it’s most likely I won’t go next weekend but if the time allows I’ll try to go. Not sure I could handle the crowds in the heat, I prefer going to theme parks in the winter. When I saw only the Falcon ride was going to be open at launch that sort of sealed it for me.

Rise of the Resistance does sound like it could be amazing. I’m really excited to see the giant At-Ats.
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member

For sure, it’s most likely I won’t go next weekend but if the time allows I’ll try to go. Not sure I could handle the crowds in the heat, I prefer going to theme parks in the winter. When I saw only the Falcon ride was going to be open at launch that sort of sealed it for me.

Rise of the Resistance does sound like it could be amazing. I’m really excited to see the giant At-Ats.

The Marvel tie-in miniseries gave some hints on elements like a weapon that the Resistance can use to be victorious against the First Order and the 709th Legion. Both of them seems like they could be the Macguffin and the new stormtroopers for TROS.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    edited May 30
    George Lucas and Billy Dee Williams and Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are on the stream, right now.
  • You need a reservation to get into Galaxy's Edge the first month. They are long gone. Gone in the first hours they were available. You can still get in, IF you stay at Disneyland Hotel, Grand California or Paradise Pier Hotel.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    You need a reservation to get into Galaxy's Edge the first month. They are long gone. Gone in the first hours they were available. You can still get in, IF you stay at Disneyland Hotel, Grand California or Paradise Pier Hotel.

They said reservations won't be required after June 23 because they've planned for the first few weeks to be extremely crowded with guests that booked in advance.
  • lowell wrote: »
    You need a reservation to get into Galaxy's Edge the first month. They are long gone. Gone in the first hours they were available. You can still get in, IF you stay at Disneyland Hotel, Grand California or Paradise Pier Hotel.

They said reservations won't be required after June 23 because they've planned for the first few weeks to be extremely crowded with guests that booked in advance.

Yeah, that is right. I just said month, but better to have the exact date. Then you will need to check in for a time, first come first serve.
  • rollind24
    5951 posts Member

Ha ok figured it’d be slammed the first month or so
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    edited May 30

Yeah, that is right. I just said month, but better to have the exact date. Then you will need to check in for a time, first come first serve.

Can't wait to visit one day and if Batuu's in the film, it would be great to get a playable map. Also, looking forward to see how Lucasfilm uses Batuu in their future plans because they've said the place is future-proof so they can bring it into anything and update, change it, etc.
  • rollind24
    5951 posts Member

Can't wait to visit one day and if Batuu's in the film, it would be great to get a playable map. Also, looking forward to see how Lucasfilm uses Batuu in their future plans because they've said the place is future-proof so they can bring it into anything and update, change it, etc.

Ooo. I wonder if we will get Batuu in June to coincide with the opening?
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member

Ooo. I wonder if we will get Batuu in June to coincide with the opening?

Could happen if Lucasfilm decides to give DICE the greenlight towards using some early minimal spoiler elements of TROS for the Batuu maps in the game but it makes more sense to give the ST era an all-out content push from late November to early January of next year if they're intending to promote Resistance Season 2, also. I have a feeling the ST characters are going to jump into the show past the film's events.
  • I wonder if Daisy Ridley and John Boyega had scheduling conflicts, it would've been nice to see them too, especially since it seems to be sequel based.
    Don't click unless you want to know the truth....
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    edited June 1
    I wonder if Daisy Ridley and John Boyega had scheduling conflicts, it would've been nice to see them too, especially since it seems to be sequel based.

They actually voiced their characters in the Rise of the Resistance ride and I think Oscar Isaac and Adam Driver also did the same.

Maybe they'll be at the Walt Disney World Opening Ceremony?
  • So I went to Disneyland this week and having a reservation, it was one of the first things we did. Kind of a hassle to get in but not a huge deal.

The detail in this area is really amazing, Falcon and everything in between. It's an unknown planet but the design kind of reminded me of Jedha. The Smugglers Run was fun, it features Hondo Ohnaka hiring you for a heist to steal Coaxium from the First Order.

Blue/green milk was good, like a fruity smoothie with an icy consistency.

My biggest or only complaint is that it was a little lifeless. There were 2 stormtroopers that wandered around and their dialogue was pretty fun but that was kind of it. I saw a lady that was fairly accurate to Rey but I dont know if she was an actual cast member for Disney because there were plenty of guests fully dressed up. But yeah, beyond that, I hope they spruce up the place with more aliens walking around.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    So I went to Disneyland this week and having a reservation, it was one of the first things we did. Kind of a hassle to get in but not a huge deal.

The detail in this area is really amazing, Falcon and everything in between. It's an unknown planet but the design kind of reminded me of Jedha. The Smugglers Run was fun, it features Hondo Ohnaka hiring you for a heist to steal Coaxium from the First Order.

My biggest or only complaint is that it was a little lifeless. There were 2 stormtroopers that wandered around and their dialogue was pretty fun but that was kind of it. I saw a lady that was fairly accurate to Rey but I dont know if she was an actual cast member for Disney because there were plenty of guests fully dressed up. But yeah, beyond that, I hope they spruce up the place with more aliens walking around.

A lot of people that feel that the land is still small is probably waiting to ride the Rise of the Resistance and I heard that both Lucasfilm and Imagineering is planning to grow and evolve the land over time in phases. I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that the word Rise is both in the title of the ride and the title of TROS.

Did the visit make you feel more confident that Batuu might actually be in TROS after all? Would be worthwhile to see the developers bring the planet to the game.
    So I went to Disneyland this week and having a reservation, it was one of the first things we did. Kind of a hassle to get in but not a huge deal.

A lot of people that feel that the land is still small is probably waiting to ride the Rise of the Resistance and I heard that both Lucasfilm and Imagineering is planning to grow and evolve the land over time in phases. I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that the word Rise is both in the title of the ride and the title of TROS.

Did the visit make you feel more confident that Batuu might actually be in TROS after all? Would be worthwhile to see the developers bring the planet to the game.

Uummmmm I'm I cant say for certain. Its essentially ST based but nothing really stood out as a landmark. Although the Star Tours ride, at the end "landed" in what looked a like Batuu.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member

Uummmmm I'm I cant say for certain. Its essentially ST based but nothing really stood out as a landmark. Although the Star Tours ride, at the end "landed" in what looked a like Batuu.

Well, in the Galaxy's Edge publishing program connecting with the land, the comics from Marvel have been showing that both the Resistance and the First Order are both on the planet looking for something. I wouldn't be surprised if what they're both looking for on Batuu is the MacGuffin of TROS.
  • Galaxy's Edge looks like a pretty meaningless experience. You go through and look at the surroundings and then you go home. Very artificial.

Save your money and travel to Skellig Michael in Ireland instead. Nothing artificial here - stand on the spot where Rey found Luke in Force Awakens and visit the old monastery from the 8th century. Absolutely amazing. I have been there once and I will return one day.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    Galaxy's Edge looks like a pretty meaningless experience. You go through and look at the surroundings and then you go home. Very artificial.

Save your money and travel to Skellig Michael in Ireland instead. Nothing artificial here - stand on the spot where Rey found Luke in Force Awakens and visit the old monastery from the 8th century. Absolutely amazing. I have been there once and I will return one day.

Did you ride Smuggler's Run yet or are you waiting for Rise of the Resistance to come so you can go on both of them at once?
    Galaxy's Edge looks like a pretty meaningless experience. You go through and look at the surroundings and then you go home. Very artificial.

Did you ride Smuggler's Run yet or are you waiting for Rise of the Resistance to come so you can go on both of them at once?

No, I stood at the Christ's Saddle where the most iconic moments in the last two movies played out. I walked up to the monastery where monks lived hard, uncomfortable life in stone huts and got arthritis and died at the age of 35. They hold out there because they thought the world beyond Skellig was the Devils domains.

How can you compare stupid, shallow rides with one of the most fascinating place on earth?

George Bernard Shaw wrote about Skellig Michael:

I tell you the thing does not belong to any world that you and I have lived and worked in: it is part of our dream world.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member

No, I stood at the Christ's Saddle where the most iconic moments in the last two movies played out. I walked up to the monastery where monks lived hard, uncomfortable life in stone huts and got arthritis and died at the age of 35. They hold out there because they thought the world beyond Skellig was the Devils domains.

How can you compare stupid, shallow rides with one of the most fascinating place on earth?

George Bernard Shaw wrote about Skellig Michael:

I tell you the thing does not belong to any world that you and I have lived and worked in: it is part of our dream world.

Well, they do tell partially what happens between TLJ and TROS. I think with Skellig Michael, since Disney is working with National Geographic, they'll do some kind of Adventures by Disney tour in Europe in the future and maybe a documentary for the National Geographic Channel or Disney+ or both.
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    Update for anyone waiting for Rise of the Resistance to open to plan a trip to the parks:

It will open on Walt's birthday (December 5th) at Walt Disney World and January 17th of next year at Disneyland.

New poster just released for the ride:

• rollind24
    5951 posts Member
    lowell said:
    Update for anyone waiting for Rise of the Resistance to open to plan a trip to the parks:

It will open on Walt's birthday (December 5th) at Walt Disney World and January 17th of next year at Disneyland.

This ride looks and sounds awesome 
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    edited July 12
    rollind24 said:
    lowell said:

This ride looks and sounds awesome 

I feel like it's going to be like CS as a ride (which sounds fun!) if you've read the preliminary details they had: getting out of the ride vehicle at one point to shoot animatronic stormtroopers and eventually confronting Kylo.

Apparently, the delay is due to the tech the ride is using is the most advanced Imagineers have ever dealt with and Orlando's version is being done sooner because they were able to avoid some constraints Anaheim's version had.

• lowell said:

yeah Batuu would make a great map plus it would promote the park land
  • lowell
    1652 posts Member
    Collective poster for Rise of the Resistance (the one above), Galaxy's Edge, and Smuggler's Run:

Here's our first look at animatronic stormtroopers for ROTR: