criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission

Era Lock

Replies

• F8RGE wrote: »
    DarthCapa2 wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »
    The game isn't 100% canon, we always prefer to use the term authentic. Being a game we can do things that you wouldn't see in movies.

Adding something like an Indiana Jones appearance for Solo will never happen.

Sadly the cross era heroes in main modes is the worst part of this game. I like the game but this cross era in big modes is a bad thing, it ruin the immersion and even the balance. Cross era should stay in heroes vs villains and hero showdown but not in Galactic Assault. @F8RGE

That's something we have talked about, we could even do events I think where it's "Era appropriate" heroes only in GA. Big flag on this is that when you start to remove heroes from either side, it can easily make one side a lot more powerful than the other.

How about era-accurate skins for some of these heroes, to reduce a bit this debate ?
  • I found era locked heroes made GA less compelling (for me), but the event was great for the 2 heroes limit, and era lock was fine for a couple days.
  • I strongly believe that if there had been enough heroes for era-lock in the 1st place, we would not be having this conversation. That would have also meant a balanced era roster.

People just got used to this choice, we can't afford to remove the ability to play an out-of-place hero once every 10 games can we ? Finn on ROTS Kashyyyk is the Star Wars we know after all.
    The game isn't 100% canon, we always prefer to use the term authentic. Being a game we can do things that you wouldn't see in movies.

Sadly the cross era heroes in main modes is the worst part of this game. I like the game but this cross era in big modes is a bad thing, it ruin the immersion and even the balance. Cross era should stay in heroes vs villains and hero showdown but not in Galactic Assault. @F8RGE

That's something we have talked about, we could even do events I think where it's "Era appropriate" heroes only in GA. Big flag on this is that when you start to remove heroes from either side, it can easily make one side a lot more powerful than the other.

then why dont you guys just do a seperate immersive GA and one with all heroes?
    I mean you said yourself that the player count is as high as on release. then proof it by making that happen.
  • SnakeMajin wrote: »
    I strongly believe that if there had been enough heroes for era-lock in the 1st place, we would not be having this conversation. That would have also meant a balanced era roster.

People just got used to this choice, we can't afford to remove the ability to play an out-of-place hero once every 10 games can we ? Finn on ROTS Kashyyyk is the Star Wars we know after all.

I bet you, that if the game was released era locked, hardly anyone at all would be asking for cross-era heroes

you would lose that bet.

Guess we'll never find out ahah.

When you think about it, we really are all at each other's throats for dumb problems.

I just hope these are not our biggest life troubles. 😗
  • its just a game, but it used to be such a good game.

Wasteful potential.

They even brought content but they just dont do things in favor of many.

thats why i am talking about things that many dont like.

It seems it wont change anything as Dice is not willing to make a seperat playlist because the tiny playerbase would become even more split.

and ofc who doesnt want to see anakin on every map 24/7
    :)

Just make it a new event. Nothing final. Having cross era hero’s SHOULDNT be the worst part of this game😂. You have 80% of officers in a team and we got speeders acting like Star destroyers but Vader on Naboo makes you mad? Cmon. Why would I want to pick from 3/4 hero’s when I could choose from them all?!! The pricing is the worst part, not the availability

Just make it a new event. Nothing final. Having cross era hero’s SHOULDNT be the worst part of this game😂. You have 80% of officers in a team and we got speeders acting like Star destroyers but Vader on Naboo makes you mad? Cmon. Why would I want to pick from 3/4 hero’s when I could choose from them all?!! The pricing is the worst part, not the availability

no anakin on every map makes me mad. only the best heroes being played because they are just a few that are complete bad. noone plays finn noone plays phasma especially not if there is a vader available.
    Bugs make me mad too
    Strafers, speeders etc too but that was there since the beginning and dice never bothered to change that so i accepted it
    I strongly believe that if there had been enough heroes for era-lock in the 1st place, we would not be having this conversation. That would have also meant a balanced era roster.

I bet you, that if the game was released era locked, hardly anyone at all would be asking for cross-era heroes

you would lose that bet.

I doubt that, but unfortunately we’ll never find out. The reason I said it though is because at no point prior to release do I remember people advocating/hoping for cross-era, then the beta dropped and the huge majority were hoping that it was just until more heroes were added
  • Cross era just isn’t feasible for sequel era. It is not fair for one side to have two heroes to choose from (especially with phasma being not that viable in GA) compared to the plethora of heroes on the light side. If they can get to at least four sequel era heroes on the dark side, I’d be more supportive of this concept.
  • I have an idea that solves a few problems at once. Run a large mode playlist with no heroes. Era locked emersion and a higher quality classic Battlefront experience in an instant.

I had never even considered an Indiana Jones appearance for Han until you mentioned it but now that you’ve said it, I want it. A lot. Shame on you.
  • Not having cross era would only work in the PT or OT era maps though. The ST just doesn’t have enough heroes to do something like that. Without skin variations for certain heroes like Luke, Han, and Leia, having them on ST maps as they are in the game isn’t canon. Obi Wan on OT maps without his old appearance isn’t canon. Palpatine on PT maps isn’t canon without his red robes or some alternate appearance. Wookies being EVERYWHERE isn’t canon. If you want the game to be 100% canon, the skins have to get A LOT more immersive and more characters need to be added so it can be balanced. But maybe, just maybe, enjoy being able to use the most iconic characters in Star Wars on any map you want and stop being a killjoy. There’s that too.
  • im all in for era lock, there are already many heroes in game, there is no reason they cant stay on their respective eras.
    but also era lock the weapons, it really takes away the fun of star wars when i see some clone with a resistance blaster. it should at least make it that prequels only get prequel weapons, galactic civil war gets their own and prequel weapons and new trilogy gets them all.
  • JackTHorn
    3651 posts Member
    Raices wrote: »

Well it’s not authentic or canon to have Rey fighting on Naboo against Darth Vader. This doesn’t happen in the movies, but it sure as hell doesn’t happen anywhere else in Star Wars so why not Indiana Jones as a skin?

Do you actually want an Indiana Jones skin in Battlefront 2?

The elements are canon, not the events. That’s how I see it at least.

Correct. The elements are but the 'battles' aren't. That's where "it's a game" comes in.

Then why we can't play as the droids on Death Star or as the clones on Hoth?
    Exactly.
  • because its double edged sword. people cry because of balance?
    well it unfair that anakin is only in the good side?
    why isnt every hero on every side? If yu want "TRUE BALANCE"
    why is anakin able to one hit infantry but kylo isnt?

ERA LOCK should be happening in GA . the game is much better if its STAR WARS CONFORM NOT LIKE THIS
  • JackTHorn wrote: »

Well it’s not authentic or canon to have Rey fighting on Naboo against Darth Vader. This doesn’t happen in the movies, but it sure as hell doesn’t happen anywhere else in Star Wars so why not Indiana Jones as a skin?

Correct. The elements are but the 'battles' aren't. That's where "it's a game" comes in.

Exactly.

The battles are canon the gameplay isn't
  • JackTHorn wrote: »

Exactly.

059ipew1udne.gif
    Add more Extraction and SA maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 5: Episode IX
    “Season” 6: Rogue One
  • KilroyWH78 wrote: »
    im all in for era lock, there are already many heroes in game, there is no reason they cant stay on their respective eras.
    but also era lock the weapons, it really takes away the fun of star wars when i see some clone with a resistance blaster. it should at least make it that prequels only get prequel weapons, galactic civil war gets their own and prequel weapons and new trilogy gets them all.

The weapons shouldn’t be locked either.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • why cant First order troopers play on Death star?

This logic is completely stupid

ERA LOCK should exist.

especially for important things like HEROES

or else only meta heroes will be played 24/7

anakin is played the whole game on every map
    is that fair balance?
  • Raices wrote: »
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    Exactly.

But where it really gets interesting is when you ask:

Why can’t I play the AT-ST on Kashyyyk? Or the BARC on Crait? Or the Naboo starfighter anywhere but Naboo?

It’s exactly this, and defenders of cross-era can no longer use the “but I paid for Heroes” excuse (as they were all given to us for free, if not previously purchased)
  • So having this game non era lock makes this a joke? THATS what’s hurting this game for you? .....you have speeders used as star destroyers, Officers that inspire and get “paid” off others taking damage, Anakin nuking a whole room, BUT seeing Dooku on the Death Star soils it? ☹️

Yeah, this isn’t one of my main priorities for the devs to fix either.
    Add more Extraction and SA maps please!

What the ROADMAP should look like for 2019/2020:
    “Season” 4: Clone Wars Revival
    “Season” 5: Episode IX
    “Season” 6: Rogue One
  • SnakeMajin
    372 posts Member
    edited June 18
    So having this game non era lock makes this a joke? THATS what’s hurting this game for you? .....you have speeders used as star destroyers, Officers that inspire and get “paid” off others taking damage, Anakin nuking a whole room, BUT seeing Dooku on the Death Star soils it? ☹️

Clearly not the biggest problem.

However...

- Officers inspiring others ? Watch war films. Join the army. And you'll see. I don't get the "paid off" part, what did you mean ?
    - Anakin nuking ? Watch Vader in Rogue One. Watch TCW. He is pretty much nuking.
    - Dreadful speeders ? In SW I doubt someone would survive being crushed by it.

All these are indeed not well designed and a problem for Multiplayer gameplay. But at least, they feel like Star Wars, or are believable.

Cross-era is not. It feels like nothing I've watched and played for 30 years. Except Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

• GA was designed as the "scenario" game mode. We have canon-fitting units on canon-fitting maps with canon-fitting objectives. We may argue that not all said era heroes are fitting in terms of canon, but we will all agree that such an extreme would kill the fact that it is a video game.

Cross-era heroes is a sandbox asset. I love sandbox game modes like HvV, and I would enjoy sandbox dedicated gamemodes involving heroes and objectives. As long as they are designed and recognized for what they are : sandbox.

Such a sandbox asset, that for obvious reasons is incompatible with scenarios, should not be in a game mode, that claims to be the main scenario game mode. It is as simple as that.

Still, cross-era should not stop anyone from sleeping and breathing 😋
  • anidriX
    932 posts Member
    edited June 18
    The bare minimum for this is to at least have non-era heroes cost considerably more than era ones. 6K-8K for era-non era respectively sounds good. At one point I rooted for cross era but after seeing constantly the same heroes over and over again, I now root for era locked.

dou58iexhrnw.png

Save for ST villains, we have enough for all eras. I know it wouldn't make much sense but you could maybe add Iden Versio to the ST villain roster. She was with the Resistance at that point but she also was with the Rebellion for most of the campaign. I'm still fine with having 4 heroes in the last phase of the map which means you would also have to add one more villain to the ST. Bossk maybe? Or just keep it at 3 for ST maps.
    So having this game non era lock makes this a joke? THATS what’s hurting this game for you? .....you have speeders used as star destroyers, Officers that inspire and get “paid” off others taking damage, Anakin nuking a whole room, BUT seeing Dooku on the Death Star soils it? ☹️

However...

- Officers inspiring others ? Watch war films. Join the army. And you'll see. I don't get the "paid off" part, what did you mean ?
    - Anakin nuking ? Watch Vader in Rogue One. Watch TCW. He is pretty much nuking.

All these are indeed not well designed and a problem for Multiplayer gameplay. But at least, they feel like Star Wars, or are believable.

Cross-era is not. It feels like nothing I've watched and played for 30 years. Except Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds.

So in the army you get “paid” off being next to your squadmate getting ripped apart? I’m saying “paid” as a fun way of the battle points. You can not fire your gun with an officer and get a hero in this game please tell me how that’s balanced because of the “army”

I get the inspiring part tho I was just making a joke.

And no the only time I’ve seen what Anakin does or used to do is That Datht Maul looking dude and he was ALREADY a sith AND fused with a witch. So, sorry if I can’t buy that with a Jedi Knight Anakin. Let’s not get talking about retribution, heroic might is just a broken feature as is.

I’m talking about speeders middle
    Ability being stronger than a star destroyer laser barrage. Hero’s die in 3-4 seconds to something that’s 150-200 battle points. That’s okay?
  • I luv u tho

However...

So in the army you get “paid” off being next to your squadmate getting ripped apart? I’m saying “paid” as a fun way of the battle points. You can not fire your gun with an officer and get a hero in this game please tell me how that’s balanced because of the “army”

I get the inspiring part tho I was just making a joke.

And no the only time I’ve seen what Anakin does or used to do is That Datht Maul looking dude and he was ALREADY a sith AND fused with a witch. So, sorry if I can’t buy that with a Jedi Knight Anakin. Let’s not get talking about retribution, heroic might is just a broken feature as is.

I’m talking about speeders middle
    Ability being stronger than a star destroyer laser barrage. Hero’s die in 3-4 seconds to something that’s 150-200 battle points. That’s okay?

Thanks !
    I think for Anakin they took inspiration from Mortis where he does whatever he wants with two giant force beasts.

All this is not designed for Multiplayer though, I agree.
  • anidriX wrote: »
    The bare minimum for this is to at least have non-era heroes cost considerably more than era ones. 6K-8K for era-non era respectively sounds good. At one point I rooted for cross era but after seeing constantly the same heroes over and over again, I now root for era locked.

dou58iexhrnw.png

Save for ST villains, we have enough for all eras. I know it wouldn't make much sense but you could maybe add Iden Versio to the ST villain roster. She was with the Resistance at that point but she also was with the Rebellion for most of the campaign. I'm still fine with having 4 heroes in the last phase of the map which means you would also have to add one more villain to the ST. Bossk maybe? Or just keep it at 3 for ST maps.

I think Bossk could be the Chewbacca counterpart. All eras. Devs have the power to make it canon after all, if nothing says otherwise.
    But yeah the fourth is tricky. Cross-era remains necessary, until they find one.
    anidriX wrote: »

dou58iexhrnw.png

I think Bossk could be the Chewbacca counterpart. All eras. Devs have the power to make it canon after all, if nothing says otherwise.
    But yeah the fourth is tricky. Cross-era remains necessary, until they find one.

ST could add Hux and Poe and then limit to 3 heroes only (even though I think it should only be 2 in any gamemode)

dou58iexhrnw.png

ST could add Hux and Poe and then limit to 3 heroes only (even though I think it should only be 2 in any gamemode)

Sure Episode 9 will bring enough heroes. They can't allow themselves to miss an opportunity to be "up to date" with such a global release.
    I feel Hux won't be the DS pick though, Knights of Ren are making too much of a noticeable promotion and comeback to be useless.
    Well that's forgetting Phasma...
    SnakeMajin wrote: »

dou58iexhrnw.png

Sure Episode 9 will bring enough heroes. They can't allow themselves to miss an opportunity to be "up to date" with such a global release.
    I feel Hux won't be the DS pick though, Knights of Ren are making too much of a noticeable promotion and comeback to be useless.

trust me the game is not survive that long. its more or less on one foot and the bugs and glitches proof that EA is not supporting this game properly.

SnakeMajin wrote: »

dou58iexhrnw.png

trust me the game is not survive that long. its more or less on one foot and the bugs and glitches proof that EA is not supporting this game properly.

Maybe. But they already were dying a year ago, weren't they ?

For both Lucasfilm and Dice, it would be a non-sense not to have Episode 9 related content. That would be a huge missed opportunity in terms of advertisement. It's the last of the Skywalker saga film after all.
    Felucia is coming in Fall, death can wait three more months.
  • They have a contract that they have to have Episode 9 content. Then after that Dice is off contract. So they’ll probably do skins for rey and fin and a new map hopefully. I doubt they do anything with space unless it makes a comback. I doubt they’ll give us a hero, Poe wouldn’t be worth it over padme at that point I’m hoping, assuming Ashoka is there already. Assuming Ahsoka comes with Felucia
  • If you want era lock then play CS. Hopefully all eras or at least the OT will be added to CS that way people who want to play cross era can play GA and people who want era lock can play CS. I don't play an online multiplayer for immersions or authenticity, that's what story modes and offline play are for. Also If immersion and authenticity is such a huge deal then you might as well be map specific also. That means no ,Yoda, Dooku, or Grevious on Naboo. No Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, or Boba Fett on the Death Star II and so on. And while we're at it might as well make it skin specific as well, so Luke needs his Ep IV & V skin to be playable on Tatooine, Cloud City and Hoth, Yoda can't have a lightsaber in OT maps, Anakin can't be on Naboo or Geonosis without his EP I and II skins, and God help me if I see Palpatine step one foot on a PT map without his lightsaber. Era specific gameplay just unnecessarily limits our choices and not for the better imo. I just like having fun and playing with the characters I want to play with on the maps I want to play on. And again CS looks to be a great mode for people who want era specific gameplay especially when the add the other eras too.

Go tell WW2 players it would be normal to have a few Samurais and Napoleonic Soldiers coming out of nowhere in their WW2 multiplayer game.

They unfortunately made GA the flag "scenario" mode. We have era-fitting troopers, era-fitting ships, era-fitting objectives on era-fitting maps. I'm fine with sandbox Cross-era but the game mode must be designed as such. Sandbox. GA is not.

No one defends map-specific heroes.
    It's just like all games, think about RTS where you move your troops and heroes where you want, even if you don't exactly replicate historical/movie events. However, you still have an era-fitting roster and still can go only on era-fitting maps. Think about OG 2005 Galactic Conquest where you had only 501st but moved this 501st around the Galaxy.
  • Cane_danko
    1245 posts Member
    Please don’t era lock GA. Thanks dice.