criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

EA: "Loot Boxes are like Kinder Eggs"

hsf_
1911 posts Member
edited June 20
Oh really?
I would like for an EA representitive to go into great detail defending this abhorrent statement, please.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48701962
2p8odu.jpg

Replies

• From the article:
    "They pretty much locked entire characters behind loot boxes, very popular characters and ones they used in their marketing," Ryan says.

This "journalist' couldn't even do enough basic research to know that characters in this game were never part of the loot boxes. Why would I listen to a word he has to say?
  • hsf_
    1911 posts Member
    From the article:
    "They pretty much locked entire characters behind loot boxes, very popular characters and ones they used in their marketing," Ryan says.

This "journalist' couldn't even do enough basic research to know that characters in this game were never part of the loot boxes. Why would I listen to a word he has to say?

So you're going to pick on that, rather than this quote by Kerry Hopkins who said:
    "We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics - and Fifa of course is our big one, our Fifa Ultimate Team and our packs - is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people," Kerry said.
  • hsf_ wrote: »
    From the article:

So you're going to pick on that, rather than this quote by Kerry Hopkins who said:
    "We do think the way that we have implemented these kinds of mechanics - and Fifa of course is our big one, our Fifa Ultimate Team and our packs - is actually quite ethical and quite fun, quite enjoyable to people," Kerry said.

Some people probably do find it fun. I used to open packs on Galaxy of Heroes and I found it fun and exciting at the time. I realized it was a just dopamine rush and a waste of money though so I only did it a handful of times. Loot boxes on this game were not fun because the entire point of them was essentially to get crafting parts to make purples.
  • d0kRX
    1462 posts Member
    From the article:

It's people like this that continue to hold battlefront 2 in such low esteem for the public.
    PSN: d0kRX
  • hsf_
    1911 posts Member
    hsf_ wrote: »
    From the article:

Some people probably do find it fun. I used to open packs on Galaxy of Heroes and I found it fun and exciting at the time. I realized it was a just dopamine rush and a waste of money though so I only did it a handful of times. Loot boxes on this game were not fun because the entire point of them was essentially to get crafting parts to make purples.

But it's not even close to being ethical, even if some people genuinely do find it fun. It's still gambling and it's still abhorrent. There is no place for this garbage in video games.
This discussion has been closed.