criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Obi-Wan is a poorly designed hero & here are quality suggestions that'll make him viable in HvV & GA

Of all the heroes in the game he is the hero I hate to play as the most. Everything about him is incredibly clumsy & slow. Down below I provide sure fire ways that'll make him worth picking.

Obi-Wans Dodge
Out of all the dodges in the game he's the only one who has a weird pause at the end of his dodge that doesn't flow into his regular animation. Below is a comparison of his dodge with all the other force heroes

His dodge as you can see isn't as smooth as the other force users at all & the move that is suppose to help him avoid damage more often than not will just get him hurt.

Defensive Rush
This move lol this move is as clumsy as it is stupid. A defensive move yet he isn't offered any damage reduction. Kylo who has a offensive move is granted 40% damage reduction for a 300 & with cards 400 plus damaging move. Rey another character with a offensive minded move is able to absorb 40% less damage with this card.
ru3tk90nir3m.jpg

Here's two videos down below comparing them

Rey's dash strike with above card

Notice how rey with her offensive minded move only took 90 damage.

Obi-Wan's DEFENSIVE rush

So why do characters who have offensive minded moves rewarded damage reduction yet the master of defense can't get anything? His DEFENSIVE rush doesn't offer much protection when he can just be CC'd or take full damage from explosive. Obi-Wan should be granted 40% damage reduction.

Lastly, defensive rush needs a speed boost comparable to rey's. This move needs a burst of speed down below I compared rey's & Obi-Wan's.
Obi-Wan's

& here's Rey's

Obi-Wan's needs to be more in line & be threatening. Currently it's a ability that gets laughed at.

All out push
Abilities with longer casting where granted immunity yet obiwan received nothing. Yet Maul was granted cc immunity(should've been granted damage reduction) for his quick force choke & Obi-Wan who can charge his push did not, why? Here's a comparison of heroic might & all out push

As you can see both have a similar charge time yet only 1 move has cc immunity.

The master of defense

How is Obi-Wan Kenobi the master of defense when vader, luke, yoda & rey are just as good as him on the defensive side of things. Heck maul can be a turtle better than him. In order to show that Obi-Wan mastered the art of defense allow him to block supercharged & explosive sentry. As of right now there are several characters who fill his role quite nicely.

NERF MIND TRICK!

You guys damn sure overbuffed this ability like holy crap. It's a death sentence against blaster heroes & needs a hard nerf against heroes & heroes only. The ability should last 3.5 seconds at base & 5 seconds with the card & I say again against heroes only. Move is to overpowered & didn't solve the problem with this hero. Anyways that's it tell me what you think down below

Replies

• Fix his dodge.
    • Increase the Run Speed and Turn Speed of his Defensive Rush (10% each?). Also make the hit from the final downward slash a bit more responsive.
    • Make Defensive Rush ignore saber strikes (I heard someone say it doesn't currently), give damage reduction against other things.
    • I don't think we need to give more heroes CC immunity (I'd rather be removing it). Maybe lower the base charge time by .1 seconds to make it a little snappier (especially with the faster charge star card.)
    • I would settle for a reduction to 4 or 4.5 (previous patch) seconds for his RMT. I don't want to make it too weak again since it is pretty niche but 5.5 seconds by default is too long.
  • Drectuss
    131 posts Member
    Agree 100%, the mind trick buff makes that ability just a crutch for him and a bandaid fix to a overly clunky character. He is pretty much mediocre against halfway decent players in HvV. The whole "he has amazing stamina for blocking and thus impenetrable defense" goes out the window with Kylo's frenzy, which will pretty much always land on Obi-Wan because of his clunky dodges.
  • JediJulius wrote: »
    • Fix his dodge.
    • Increase the Run Speed and Turn Speed of his Defensive Rush (10% each?). Also make the hit from the final downward slash a bit more responsive.
    • Make Defensive Rush ignore saber strikes (I heard someone say it doesn't currently), give damage reduction against other things.
    • I don't think we need to give more heroes CC immunity (I'd rather be removing it). Maybe lower the base charge time by .1 seconds to make it a little snappier (especially with the faster charge star card.)
    • I would settle for a reduction to 4 or 4.5 (previous patch) seconds for his RMT. I don't want to make it too weak again since it is pretty niche but 5.5 seconds by default is too long.

It still ignores saber strikes. I'm all for removing it for vader & maul but grevious obi-wan & anakin should keep there's
  • CC_1010
    2704 posts Member
    edited June 28
    I agree. He is good for duelling, but he lacks in 4v4. He literally drags the match down because he has no ability to get to his enemy’s/ or to get his enemy’s to him.
    This is one of the biggest issues with him. I can pretty much always top score when my team plays defensively or when I lead our team(meaning they have to acknowledge my capability and stay with me). When Han and Lando can shot everyone up and I finish them off, if they try to get to them.

Another instance where I can top with him is when I play with my mates.(Those three players are ok-pretty good). Because, again, when I talk to them and they support my playstyle we can defeat even superior (clan)teams.

I like Obi atm. But he needs some fixes and buffs.
    Mainly because:
    Defensive rush needs a speed boost
    25-30% damage reduction during it
    CC Immunity
    All out push needs to have a shorter charge time(1-1,5 sec shorter)

Nerf the mindtrick to 4 seconds without card.
    Post edited by CC_1010 on
  • I would also suggest his defensive rush be usable while blocking would make it more useful for getting out of bad situations.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN:unit900000
  • He needs some work but i wouldn’t call him poorly designed. Honestly i think if they nerf the duration of mind trick and make his defensive rush better then he would be in a pretty good spot. Not sure what exactly needs to be done with defensive rush as making him knock foes down would just be a copy and past of rey’s dash strike.
  • Agree with all your points. Tbh most of the heroes are poorly designed.
  • I think obi wan would have to be entirely reworked for him to be good. I’ve never really played him, so I don’t know
  • Bump..
  • ghawar18
    1084 posts Member

obi wan is one of the characters I hate to play, he is too weak, his power is really too weak, which is a strong handicap in combat

for me his pushing force should be 0.5 seconds shorter to not be dependent on his star card reducing activation time

mind trick is good, I'd like a range buff, obi wan is a hero blaster killer just like palpatine is a jedi killer

saber rush deserves a big buff,
    speed buff and immunity to power hang rush
  • ghawar18 wrote: »
    obi wan is one of the characters I hate to play, he is too weak, his power is really too weak, which is a strong handicap in combat

for me his pushing force should be 0.5 seconds shorter to not be dependent on his star card reducing activation time

mind trick is good, I'd like a range buff, obi wan is a hero blaster killer just like palpatine is a jedi killer

saber rush deserves a big buff,
    speed buff and immunity to power hang rush

Yeah out of all the heroes I hate playing as him & I hate seeing him. He's not worth 4000 bp & now that chewie got a health care I don't even see the point in being him in ga & HvV you have to put in so much effort to do anything with him
  • @F8RGE ? Any thoughts?
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • ZephanUnbound
    3088 posts Member
    edited June 28
    I've been playing Obi-Wan a good bit in HvV the past week or so, to get more experience with him since I've barely used him since I hit the old level 40 cap months ago. I'm able to do pretty well with him, topping the leaderboard multiple times including a 25,000+ score match, but he definitely has glaring flaws imo.

Here are the buffs and nerfs that Obi-Wan needs imo:
    -Restrictive Mind trick base duration reduced from 5.5 to 4 seconds
    +Defensive Rush movement and turning speeds increased by 20%
    +Defensive Rush is now uninterruptible (it's silly, that Obi-Wan, a defensive master, can be snagged out of an ability with the word "defensive" in the name by a Choke or a Freeze imo)
    +Defensive Rush now blocks all lightsaber damage and abilities within a 180 degree arc in front of him
    +Defensive Rush gains 30% damage reduction for all damage types
    +Defensive Rush final strike should be more responsive (currently the damage it deals can be delayed by a half second after the animation)
    +All-Out Push can now be charged while Blocking (or at the very least it should be uninterruptible, because currently it can be interrupted while charging by a simple saber stun, putting it on cooldown)
    +Obi-Wan dash animations changed to be more fluid
  • CC_1010
    2704 posts Member
    I've been playing Obi-Wan a good bit in HvV the past week or so, to get more experience with him since I've barely used him since I hit the old level 40 cap months ago. I'm able to do pretty well eith him, topping the leaderboard multiple times including a 25,000+ score match, but he definitely has glaring flaws imo.

+Defensive Rush is now uninterruptible (it's silly, that Obi-Wan, a defensive master, can be snagged out of an ability with the word "defensive" in the name by a Choke or a Freeze imo)
    +Defensive Rush now blocks all lightsaber damage and abilities within a 180 degree arc in front of him
    +All-Out Push can now be charged while Blocking (or at the very least it should be uninterruptible)

As a lvl. 101 Obi player I can confidently say that you are right.
  • I've been playing Obi-Wan a good bit in HvV the past week or so, to get more experience with him since I've barely used him since I hit the old level 40 cap months ago. I'm able to do pretty well eith him, topping the leaderboard multiple times including a 25,000+ score match, but he definitely has glaring flaws imo.

+All-Out Push can now be charged while Blocking (or at the very least it should be uninterruptible)

Yes obi wan is pretty good against potatoes
  • CC_1010
    2704 posts Member
    I've been playing Obi-Wan a good bit in HvV the past week or so, to get more experience with him since I've barely used him since I hit the old level 40 cap months ago. I'm able to do pretty well eith him, topping the leaderboard multiple times including a 25,000+ score match, but he definitely has glaring flaws imo.

Yes obi wan is pretty good against potatoes

If your team adapts a certain playstyle(as I said earlier) he can be effective. But otherwise I need to put some huge effort in if I want to top in random lobbys(If the opposing aren’t potatoes and actually know how to play the game)
  • Cane_danko
    1268 posts Member
    Well his mind trick is a death sentence against multiple saber users. So i just think the duration should be nerfed and his other abilities buffed.
  • Maxed out Obi-Wan a few weeks after he was released into the game. He's a bold one, for sure, but I wouldn't call him poorly designed. Managed to top the lobbies with him in HvV consistently. GA not so much. Now in my CS game the other day I was top billing as Obi-Wan for Naboo until my game crashed.

He's known in canon as defensive and his in-game presence reflects that too. I like it. Allows me to play the game differently each time. Not perfect, but I'm honestly okay with him as is. Tried him in HvV yesterday and didn't do so well. Going to be a while before I get my bearings with him in that mode.
  • Psy3d
    916 posts Member
    edited June 28
    In HvV/HS Obi is a party plebs dream choice...it's the first indication you're up against a party. His mind control move combined with any blaster+shocker hero like Lando or Chewie is the most deadly force combo in the game. Now with new comer spammer Luke with Rey and Obi...it's also another deadly glowstick raver combo that even brings Vader down very quickly.

But yeah alone he's not that good alone but he's not that bad either IMHO....like the OG Luke he needs to be played 1/2 hit and dodge move for HvV/HS. If I wanted a slight buff...then for GA/CS I would like his defensive rush doing more damage and his base force push having even a lower charge up time.
  • Cane_danko
    1268 posts Member
    Maxed out Obi-Wan a few weeks after he was released into the game. He's a bold one, for sure, but I wouldn't call him poorly designed. Managed to top the lobbies with him in HvV consistently. GA not so much. Now in my CS game the other day I was top billing as Obi-Wan for Naboo until my game crashed.

He's known in canon as defensive and his in-game presence reflects that too. I like it. Allows me to play the game differently each time. Not perfect, but I'm honestly okay with him as is. Tried him in HvV yesterday and didn't do so well. Going to be a while before I get my bearings with him in that mode.

Vader, Rey, Luke, & Yoda are better defensive characters than him.

Not sure how you figure this.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Maxed out Obi-Wan a few weeks after he was released into the game. He's a bold one, for sure, but I wouldn't call him poorly designed. Managed to top the lobbies with him in HvV consistently. GA not so much. Now in my CS game the other day I was top billing as Obi-Wan for Naboo until my game crashed.

Not sure how you figure this.

Vader & Rey have 50% reduced stamina allowing them to block just as long & Rey has 1 second regen she can just dodge backwards & has a full bar. Luke can be a turtle better than him using a mix of his dash & His 1 second regen he can block forever same with yoda. I can hold block all day with these characters
  • Maxed out Obi-Wan a few weeks after he was released into the game. He's a bold one, for sure, but I wouldn't call him poorly designed. Managed to top the lobbies with him in HvV consistently. GA not so much. Now in my CS game the other day I was top billing as Obi-Wan for Naboo until my game crashed.

Perhaps in your experience. Not so much mine. My time with Luke isn't as great as it is with Obi-Wan. I don't play Yoda. Maybe once they change his health card I'll give him a chance. Now Rey and Vader... Sure they have that ability to give them lower stamina drain, but Obi-Wan still has the highest stamina pool of all the heroes for blocking. Mind you I haven't played Vader or Rey that much since they saber changes a few months ago. I'll give it another look at as I don't mind going back to play those heroes. Maxed them out before the stamina changes and hadn't touched them since so I'm game to play them again. Been mostly maining Han and Dooku in HvV so I haven't particularly played other heroes that much.
  • Drectuss
    131 posts Member
    Luke can actually evade Kylo's frenzy and use his rush and *smooth* dodges to get out of 3v1 or 4v1 situations, while Obi-Wan will just stand there blocking until Kylo breaks his block with frenzy. Or Case B: He will use his clunky dodge and get stunlocked. Case C: He starts to use defensive rush and gets frozen, choked, etc..
  • Drectuss wrote: »
    Luke can actually evade Kylo's frenzy and use his rush and *smooth* dodges to get out of 3v1 or 4v1 situations, while Obi-Wan will just stand there blocking until Kylo breaks his block with frenzy. Or Case B: He will use his clunky dodge and get stunlocked. Case C: He starts to use defensive rush and gets frozen, choked, etc..

This right here.
  • Cane_danko
    1268 posts Member
    Obiwan can block more than anyone by far without insight or any other abilities. That point is moot.
  • @F8RGE ? Any thoughts?

Any thoughts
  • Bumpty...
  • Compo
    150 posts Member
    Nicely put together!
    I put in the vote earlier, that Obi-Wan was the least interesting to play for me. His defensive Rush ability, i dont bother using anymore, it often got me killed lol.

So yes i agree, but im just your bog average saber player.
    Thanks for vids too :)
  • Cane_danko
    1268 posts Member
    I wonder if they could make defensive rush give him a damage reduction buff like how luke has with his rush star card. Make it 5 seconds and obi will be a tank.
  • I can 100% agree with you.
    I feel the same problems when playing with Obi-Wan, especially his extreme weakness in power. I think the reason for that could be his Mind Trick. It just doesn't fit into the battlefield, since Obi-Wan never ever used it in the middle of a battle, or against someone he was dueling with. I know it's kind of a signature ability for him, but c'mon, we don't need to fall into exaggeration. Oh, and in my opinion this ability will always be OP from a certain point of view, because you need to do no efforts to make it effective.
    I would honestly change this ability to something more useful and less OP.
    I don't know what do you think about it, but I'm so curious :).
  • Cane_danko
    1268 posts Member
    I can 100% agree with you.
    I feel the same problems when playing with Obi-Wan, especially his extreme weakness in power. I think the reason for that could be his Mind Trick. It just doesn't fit into the battlefield, since Obi-Wan never ever used it in the middle of a battle, or against someone he was dueling with. I know it's kind of a signature ability for him, but c'mon, we don't need to fall into exaggeration. Oh, and in my opinion this ability will always be OP from a certain point of view, because you need to do no efforts to make it effective.
    I would honestly change this ability to something more useful and less OP.
    I don't know what do you think about it, but I'm so curious :).

The mind trick is a great ability i just think the duration is to long. It is needed currently as his other abilities are weak but if they were to be buffed then they can tone down on the duration from what i see.

• I use Obi Wan as my main hero. This isn't because he's good, but because he's literally more of a challenge than any other lightsaber hero to play! His force push is pitiful when compared to Luke or Maul and the charge up is near impossible to use against any lightsaber hero as its too easy to spot and block. The defensive rush has recently changed in animation but is still completely useless to use and the mind trick is Obi Wans only trick up his sleeve, witch doesn't say much when it doesn't exactly stop him getting hit in the face with a lightsaber while using it.

I love Obi Wan as a character and i like the challenge but he seriously needs a boost, even if its just making the base range of his force push equal to Lukes.
  • IIPrest0nII
    4914 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Let's not necro/bump old threads please.

Closed.
    Star Wars Battlefront Community Forums Moderator
This discussion has been closed.