criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Clone Commando Community Transmission
September Community Calendar

Should EA add Captain Rex

Prev1
Captain Rex has a layout (ARC Trooper) so therefore he should be added to the Battlefront II game as a hero. I could see this being a good hero since he is the one and only Captain Rex. He served under the title of 501st which was led by Anakin Skywalker so there could also be interesting dialogue between the two when they are fighting. One of his abilities could be "For the republic!" (L1+R1) which could temporarily buff the hero's health around them. Then the ability of the DC-17's massive blast that shoots out a big blaster bolt. The last one should make it so his gun doesnt overheat for a short period of time.

Replies

• CC_1010
    1749 posts Member
    A clone as a hero? I would like someone else. Maybe arc trooper skin.
  • lowell
    1272 posts Member
    edited July 3
    Captain Rex has a layout (ARC Trooper) so therefore he should be added to the Battlefront II game as a hero. I could see this being a good hero since he is the one and only Captain Rex. He served under the title of 501st which was led by Anakin Skywalker so there could also be interesting dialogue between the two when they are fighting. One of his abilities could be "For the republic!" (L1+R1) which could temporarily buff the hero's health around them. Then the ability of the DC-17's massive blast that shoots out a big blaster bolt. The last one should make it so his gun doesnt overheat for a short period of time.

Actually, Commander Rex and he fought at Endor:

A_Fools_Hope_33.jpg?ssl=1

rex-in-return-of-the-jedi.jpg

strfykeojd431.jpg

• Well, how about not him as a hero but him as a special version of the current ARC? Devs hinted several times that they would like to see a system where things like this would be possible, so this is more likely IMO
  • And just one tiny thing, it is DICE that is developing the game and therefore would have to add new content, not EA (EA is the publisher) :D
  • They could certainly give us our legion and alien skins to use on the enforcer's such as aerial and change from wookies and be a Quaren Enforcer or Mirialan Aerial.
  • I remember Ben saying that Fives only as an ARC skin, would be disappointing. So imagine how the team would feel about Rex.

Although I don't imagine named Clones getting into the game, I believe that if they were to come it would be as heroes.

Imagine a hero simply called "Clone hero" or something less cringy like that. With the likes of Rex, Cody, Fives, and Wolffe as skins with a few different lines. Give them the DC-15s as default and make the switch to twin blasters their 4th ability.
    With a hero status, you wouldn't get 2 Rex on the battlefield as opposed to reinforcements. But it also means you would not get more than one Clone hero at a time.
  • I’d give him a rocket launcher, grenades and some kind of team buff ability
  • As a Arc trooper skin yes, never as a hero before others
  • Rex isn’t an arc trooper. Fives should be the skin.
  • Rex should definitely be a CW blaster hero. I’d say he’s pretty much first on the list for a LS blaster hero from the CW.

However... He’s definitely not next on the list, by any means.
  • Rex should definitely be a CW blaster hero. I’d say he’s pretty much first on the list for a LS blaster hero from the CW.

I’d rather see padme but that’s just me
  • ZephanUnbound
    3010 posts Member
    edited July 3
    I'm not against his addition, like some here are, but I can think of other blaster heroes who should be higher priority, like Padme and Jyn. If we ever get Sabine or another hero jetpack to balance out Boba, I feel like Rex and Cad Bane, with Rex having a jetpack and Cad Bane his rocket boots, could be a good pair, since they are both dual wield heroes who used jets/rockets at some point in the show.
  • Darth_Vapor3
    4122 posts Member
    edited July 3
    Rex should definitely be a CW blaster hero. I’d say he’s pretty much first on the list for a LS blaster hero from the CW.

I’d rather see padme but that’s just me
    I'm not against his addition, like some here are, but I can think of other blaster heroes who should be higher priority, like Padme and Jyn. If we ever get Sabine or another hero jetpack to balance out Boba, I feel like Rex and Cad Bane, with Rex having a jetpack and Cad Bane his rocket boots, could be a good pair, since they are both dual wield heroes who used jets/rockets at some point in the show.

Padme is a legitimate character, no argument from me. I would just prefer a soldier character, that’s all.
  • Na lol
  • After padme he would be first on my list to be honest for blaster hero’s, he derseves consideration. I used “never” to hastily
  • Captain Rex has a layout (ARC Trooper) so therefore he should be added to the Battlefront II game as a hero. I could see this being a good hero since he is the one and only Captain Rex. He served under the title of 501st which was led by Anakin Skywalker so there could also be interesting dialogue between the two when they are fighting. One of his abilities could be "For the republic!" (L1+R1) which could temporarily buff the hero's health around them. Then the ability of the DC-17's massive blast that shoots out a big blaster bolt. The last one should make it so his gun doesnt overheat for a short period of time.

No
  • i would love to see captain rex ether as a ARC trooper skin or a regular clone skin for the phase 1 armor or something along those lines
  • Captain Rex has a layout (ARC Trooper) so therefore he should be added to the Battlefront II game as a hero. I could see this being a good hero since he is the one and only Captain Rex. He served under the title of 501st which was led by Anakin Skywalker so there could also be interesting dialogue between the two when they are fighting. One of his abilities could be "For the republic!" (L1+R1) which could temporarily buff the hero's health around them. Then the ability of the DC-17's massive blast that shoots out a big blaster bolt. The last one should make it so his gun doesnt overheat for a short period of time.

love it im a big captain rex fan and would love to see him in this game along with ahsoka and ventress.
  • Cane_danko
    1247 posts Member
    Eh... it would be cool but i think there are other heroes that should get precedence sorry. It is a cool thought though.
  • Alex64
    7603 posts Member
    No, i don't even know who is
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • Lyc4n
    1123 posts Member
    I think he should be an arc trooper skin legendary appearence
  • Lyc4n wrote: »
    I think he should be an arc trooper skin legendary appearence

yep i agree
  • Alex64 wrote: »

your kidding Right?????
  • GoodBytes
    138 posts Member
    @I_am_opswow here's a better idea, pick any Clone Trooper/Infiltrator class and become your own hero.

Leeching off the reputation and achievements of an established character isn't going to help your team win.
    Alone against all these droids....? Hmph... they don't stand a chance.
  • Correction: EA is not involved in the development in this game at all and couldn't care less about it as far as I know. DICE is doing all the work.

More broadly, this question falls into "Should a Clone Trooper Hero be added to the game?"

Probably not, for the same reason that OOM-9 or TR-8R/FN-2199 or any other standard trooper shouldn't be added to the game. They are less like Heroes, and more like buffed troopers. Even OOM-9 is just a Separatist Officer, and would play much like the one already in game (they even have the same appearance!). Of course, many people would enjoy characters like the ones I said being in the game, but they are not exactly on par with the heroes, unless you count their rank.

Of course, by this logic, only Jedi, Sith, etc. could be added to the game, but significance also matters. Many people don't even know who Captain Rex is, but characters like Leia are iconic.

Another question is "Could they be added to the game?"

The answer is of course. But some would make more sense than others. For example, OOM-9 is no different than any other Separatist Officer if you really analyze his abilities. However, Captain Rex utilizes many things not seen in the game before, such as a dual-wielding blaster hero, and EMP "Droid Poppers" as a possible ability.

But in the end, most of the heroes are decided by popularity, canon, if they make sense to be added to the game, and how they would work in game.

Conclusion: No, unless he falls into all of the categories above.

Where's the offline content?
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • Alex64
    7603 posts Member
    Alex64 wrote: »

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Don’t take this bait. This is done every time Rex or some other CW character is discussed. They have all been explained enough. This is troll bait, and will lead thread derailment. That is the goal with this anyway. This forum member is notorious for this.

I'm not kidding, i really don't know who is, some say he's a clone and the only clone i know is coddy.
    The kind mixed with the wicked, the will to fight until the end, I'm not your enemy or friend.
  • bfloo
    15647 posts Member
    Just pretend the arc trooper is Rex, mission accomplished
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Don’t take this bait. This is done every time Rex or some other CW character is discussed. They have all been explained enough. This is troll bait, and will lead thread derailment. That is the goal with this anyway. This forum member is notorious for this.

I'm not kidding, i really don't know who is, some say he's a clone and the only clone i know is coddy.

Rex is the leader of Anakin's Clone Batallion, the 501st, in much the same way that Cody is the leader of Obi-Wan's Clone Battalion, the 212th. Cody got a movie appearance in ROTS, unlike Rex, but Rex was in more episodes of The Clone Wars than Cody was, and Rex also showed up in Rebels, joining the Rebellion and eventually taking part in the battle of Endor.
  • bfloo
    15647 posts Member

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Rex is the leader of Anakin's Clone Batallion, the 501st, in much the same way that Cody is the leader of Obi-Wan's Clone Battalion, the 212th. Cody got a movie appearance in ROTS, unlike Rex, but Rex was in more episodes of The Clone Wars than Cody was, and Rex also showed up in Rebels, joining the Rebellion and eventually taking part in the battle of Endor.

That wasn't Rex, It was Nik Sant.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nik_Sant

h846398gb27k.png

• Alex64
    7603 posts Member
    bfloo wrote: »

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Now i'm more confused
  • bfloo wrote: »

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

No, Rex still participated in the Battle of Endor. He just wasn't that person specifically.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • Alex64
    7603 posts Member

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

No, Rex still participated in the Battle of Endor. He just wasn't that person specifically.

that doesn't help me

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Yes, I'm aware. Dave Filoni originally planned to get rid of Nik Sant and make Rex that old guy, but changed his mind at the last minute. However, it is still canon that Rex fought during the battle, he just wasn't shown on screen.

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

But it was. Nick Sant was an alias that Rex assumed in order to stay off the Empire’s radar. He was no ordinary clone officer.
  • lowell
    1272 posts Member
    edited July 4

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Yes, I'm aware. Dave Filoni originally planned to get rid of Nik Sant and make Rex that old guy, but changed his mind at the last minute. However, it is still canon that Rex fought during the battle, he just wasn't shown on screen.

Well, now, we got some on-screen footage from Galaxy of Adventures:

strfykeojd431.jpg

• GoodBytes
    138 posts Member

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

Rex is the leader of Anakin's Clone Batallion, the 501st, in much the same way that Cody is the leader of Obi-Wan's Clone Battalion, the 212th.

Um... no. Did you get that info off a cereal box? This sounds like the typical inaccurate Hasbro propaganda.

Rex and Cody were very different. Rex was the captain who lead Torrent Company (144 troops), which was just one small unit of troopers within the 501st Brigade (9,216 troops, later called a Legion after the formation of the Empire). Skywalker was in command of the entire brigade, so Rex would have reported to his battalion commander, who would have reported to his regimental commander, who would have reported to the brigade's senior commander who would have reported to Skywalker. Unlike most Jedi, Skywalker preferred to fight alongside his troops, hence why there is so much interaction between him and Captain Rex. Jedi officers outranked clone officers, and Skywalker was never one to follow due process anyway.

A lot of people complained about all the politics featured in the prequel trilogy, well military politics is just as bad so they obviously chose to leave it out of The Clone Wars series.

Cody, on the other hand, was the marshal commander leading the 7th Sky Corps (36,864 troopers and support personnel). There are 4 brigades in a corps. This is the highest rank a clone officer could achieve. The 212th Attack Battalion (576 troops and support personnel) was one of many battalions in the 7th Sky Corps.

So no, Rex is not a leader in the same way Cody is. Not to mention Rex is a traitor who deserted the GAR and abandoned his brothers. Cody was loyal to the Republic and later the Empire, an all-around good soldier.
  • EA_Rtas
    1163 posts EA Moderator
    Let's leave off with attacking people for not knowing something please. I've noticed it happening a lot recently and it needs to stop.
  • bfloo
    15647 posts Member
    So we are calling Rex a traitor for basically escaping from slavery.....

h846398gb27k.png

That's an excellent but loaded question. I'm going to say no, because he was not a slave. Granted there are many similarities but the case against is fairly solid, albeit no longer canon.

Happy to debate clone rights in private if you wish. B)
  • lowell
    1272 posts Member
    GoodBytes wrote: »

That's an excellent but loaded question. I'm going to say no, because he was not a slave. Granted there are many similarities but the case against is fairly solid, albeit no longer canon.

Happy to debate clone rights in private if you wish. B)

Do Wolffe, Gregor, and Cut Lawquane count also as traitors, now?
  • Why are so many people against this? Captain Rex fights along the main heroes consistently, and--for those saying he shouldn't be a hero because he's a soldier--they have Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, and Lando. All of which are inferior to Rex, as characters and in skill.
  • Why are so many people against this? Captain Rex fights along the main heroes consistently, and--for those saying he shouldn't be a hero because he's a soldier--they have Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, and Lando. All of which are inferior to Rex, as characters and in skill.

Oh Lord. Cringe.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh

True, but popularity matters just as much. The characters you mentioned are all iconic fan favorites, and many people don't know that Captain Rex exists.
    ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif

your kidding Right?????

your kidding Right?????

that doesn't help me

Captain Rex was a clone trooper. At the end of the Clone Wars, he learned that the clones had "mind control" chips in their heads. Those devices were activated by Palpatine so that the clones would kill the Jedi without hesitation. However, Rex removed the chip in his head before Order 66, so he didn't kill Jedi or join the Empire like most of the other clones did. When Order 66 did happen, he faked his death and went into hiding in order to escape punishment. He and other clone troopers who removed their chips moved to a remote planet called Seelos, until some Rebels found him so they could recruit him to join the Rebels. Later, he participated in the Battle of Endor.

That's Captain Rex's story in a nutshell. If you want it detailed, watch all of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Star Wars: Rebels Seasons 2-4.

ehwmyfbp0dvm.gif
  • BucksawBoushh, how so? Rex is simply the better character, and I say this as someone who grew up on the Original Trilogy. So you can ***** fight me on that one, kid.
  • Commander_AI426, Captain Rex is one of the most popular characters within the community. The only people who DON'T know him are the casual movie goers. But,guess what? They added Bosk and Captain Phasma, characters that are nowhere near Captain Rex's level of popularity.
  • Hell yes he needs to be a hero! After Ahsoka he’s my most wanted hero by far. Plus, he’s one of the easiest heroes they could add, and a popular one at that.
    Top favorite heroes and villains missing:
    Ahsoka, Rex, Padme, Cody, Mace
    Bane, Thrawn, Ventress, Jango, Savage
    0np8u7zs8tne.gif