criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar
Double XP Event

Community Transmission — Star Card Changes

Prev134
F8RGE
908 posts EA Community Manager
edited August 9
1qs6hbrpmr66.png

Incoming transmission!

Over the last few months we’ve made a number of changes to Star Cards, whether it’s a tweak here and there or it’s adding health on kill to all heroes. There’s one bit of feedback that we’ve heard from you though, and that revolves around the health on kill cards, and that you would like to see them become passive.

We agree, and a few months ago we confirmed we would be working on this. Fast forward to the present day and we’ve now reached the point where we’re ready to deploy the changes into the live servers. This means that coming within this month’s update, all heroes will have health on kill as a passive ability.

But what happens to the Star Cards? Rather than just removing the Star Cards we will be replacing them with brand new ones, for each and every hero. All of the new cards will retain the same level as the Health Card that it will be replacing.

THE NEW CARDS

Boba Fett
  • New Card: Born to Fly
  • New Description: Boba Fett's abilities cooldown are faster while in air, but his health regeneration starts 1.5 second later.

Darth Vader
  • New Card: Surrounded by Fear
  • New Description: When killing an enemy, Darth Vader gains stamina back.

Emperor Palpatine
  • New Card: Show no Mercy
  • New Description: Each extra target hit by CHAIN LIGHTNING will reduce its cooldown by 0.25 seconds to a maximum. This effect resets when Emperor Palpatine is defeated.

Iden Versio
  • New Card: Shocking Weakness
  • New Description: Iden Versio’s STUN DROID also reveals enemies in a 25 meters radius to all allies for a short time.

Kylo Ren
  • New Card: Power of Darkness
  • New Description: After he used FRENZY, Kylo Ren’s lightsaber damage is increased for 6 seconds.

Darth Maul
  • New Card: Savage
  • New Description: If Darth Maul hits four enemies with SPIN ATTACKwithin a short time, his SPIN ATTACK recharge will be 75% faster for 4 seconds.

General Grievous
  • New Card: Flesh is Weak
  • New Description: For every 10% health missing, General Grievous gains damage reduction but his health regeneration speed is halved.

Count Dooku
  • New Card: Initiative
  • New Description: Every 15 seconds, Count Dooku’s basic attack will be a critical strike, dealing extra damage. This cooldown is reduced by 1 second for every successful lightsaber attack.

Captain Phasma
  • New Card: Blaster Inspection
  • New Description: Every time she kills an enemy, Captain Phasma and friendly troopers around her gain a permanent 3% decrease to their blaster overheat per bolt to a maximum. This effect resets when Captain Phasma is defeated.

Chewbacca
  • New Card: Impervious
  • New Description: Every time Chewbacca deals a threshold of 200 combined damage with any ability, he gains 2% damage reduction to a maximum. This effect resets after Chewbacca is defeated.

Han Solo
  • New Card: Smuggler’s Wits
  • New Description: Han Solo gains an extra Dodge ability charge but all cooldowns are increased.

Leia Organa
  • New Card: Stay Together
  • New Description: If she is within 15 meters of two friendly units, Leia and her close allies will take reduced damage.

Lando Calrissian
  • New Card: Buckle Up, Baby
  • New Description: Every enemy trooper defeated or 100 damage to villains reduces the heat per shot of Lando’s X-8 Night Sniper permanently by 2% to a maximum. This effect resets when Lando is defeated.

Luke Skywalker
  • New Card: Intensify
  • New Description: Every trooper defeated or 200 damage to heroes increases Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber damage by 2 to a maximum. This effect resets after Luke is defeated..

Rey
  • New Card: Balance
  • New Description: Rey gains an extra Dodge ability charge, but her stamina drains faster.

Yoda
  • New Card: Size Matters Not
  • New Description: When the bonus health of PRESENCE depletes, it heals for some of the damage it prevented but its cooldown is increased by 13 seconds.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • New Card: Safeguard
  • New Description: After blocking 10 blaster shots, 2 abilities or lightsaber attacks with his block, Obi-Wan gains a permanent reduction of 2% to all his stamina costs to a maximum. This effect resets when Obi-Wan is defeated.

Anakin Skywalker
  • New Card: Steamroll
  • New Description: Every enemy trooper defeat or 200 damage to villains decreases all of Anakin Skywalker's stamina costs by 2% to a maximum. This effect resets after Anakin is defeated.

Finn
  • New Card: In Charge
  • New Description: During UNDERCOVER TEAM, Finn will grant a damage reduction, of 2% for each trooper defeated or 100 damage to villains to a maximum, to all friendlies affected. This bonus stays for the next use of the ability but resets when Finn is defeated.

All of these changes will be going into the August update, which is currently scheduled for release on August 28th.

We’ll be back with more info on this month’s update, as well as the future of Star Wars Battlefront II at gamescom later this month.

Punch It
Post edited by F8RGE on

Replies

• These star cards are fire!!!! @lerodemmy looks like you get your wish for vader.
  • Lmao so dooku really has 3 dodges for no reason
  • So can we expect a fix for Count Dooku next patch?
  • TheUltimateHope
    1320 posts Member
    edited August 9
    Great news, i thought Lightside didn't have enough AOE damage reduction and healing !
    Also people will maybe realize now what having 3 dodges really means.
  • Will HoK be passive in HvV as well? Because i use HoK in that mode.
  • I'd say that finn should have the new card be for big deal instead of his undercover team because undercover team is the weakest ability he has
  • Will Yoda have passive health on kill for any type of kill or will it still be tied to unleashed like the current star card?
  • awakespace
    1179 posts Member
    edited August 9
    I wish there was more of a sense of what the values are going to be...

I'm kind of worried about the further damage reduction Leia and Finn will add to what was already an issue with just Yoda and Finn as they were. Leia's is permanent - and while I think it is a good way to make her better - being permanent if you are near her is very powerful. Further if there is stacking with other health buffs, the damage reduction will be a big issue. Hopefully it is maybe 15% for Leia but only 10% for those around her. And hopefully there is a damage reduction cap - like if Finn and Leia are both there, it doesn't stack.
    I'd say that finn should have the new card be for big deal instead of his undercover team because undercover team is the weakest ability he has

I'm pretty sure that is the point - to make Undercover Team more useful
    Thanks for the transmission @F8RGE
    Some really interesting and cool effects here, which should help gameplay feel less stale. One suggestion though, could the faster regen maybe occur when Boba is on the ground instead, I feel that would promote more ground based combat and would encourage a less cheap playstyle.
    Thanks again @F8RGE

I don't agree with this - being in the air is boba's thing - it takes significantly more skill to aim while flying. I think your idea actually encourages what I would call cheap boba play - which is camping somewhere and just shooting at people from a distance - flying in and using your barage and then flying away to camp again - repeat.

• JediJulius
    701 posts Member
    edited August 9
    I like these. They gradually provide some strong and strategy defining traits, but comes with either slow ramp up times or downsides. Although I don't mind the ~30% increase to X ability or stat that most older Star Cards grant, these new cards definitely feel much more unique and less bland than the old approach.

The only one I disapprove of is Yoda's. Not only does it have a very niche application, but it also DRASTICALLY increases the cooldown of Presence, moreso than I feel justifies the niche heal benefit. I would rather have his original 'Bonus Damage upon fully charging Unleash' than this one.
  • I'd say that finn should have the new card be for big deal instead of his undercover team because undercover team is the weakest ability he has

Big Deal already has 3 Star Cards that can buff it. 4 would be overkill.
  • Gotta say Darth Vaders card is pretty useless. More stamina after a kill? Once anyone gets put in the choke combo blender they require 1 or 2 hits. Especially with both choke cards. Out of all the new cards this will see the least amount of use.

Missed opp to make dooku the support hero in GA. Right there & you guys blew it.

Its more important that he have a critical strike cause his saber doesnt do enough damage already lmao... gotta say my favorite cards of all the new ones are Kylos and Lukes.
  • Luke is going to be a killstreak beast in GA =)
    At 10 kills he will one shot all but heavys
    At 35 kills he will one shot heavys (200 damage per swing!)
    At 60 kills he will do 250 damage per swing!
    And basically every time he strikes a villain he will also gain damage per swing!
    Endor is going to be crazy
    Luke Skywalker
    • New Description: Every trooper defeated or 200 damage to heroes increases Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber damage by 2 to a maximum. This effect resets after Luke is defeated..
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Luke is going to be a killstreak beast in GA =)
    And basically every time he strikes a villain he will also gain damage per swing!
    Luke Skywalker

He already was & I don't think it's going that high. Probably 140 a swing
  • But isn't Luke a hit & run hero 🤔🤔 it's almost as if I was right when I said he isn't a hit & run hero any more
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Luke is going to be a killstreak beast in GA =)
    Luke Skywalker

There will be a maximum value his swings can reach, so no. He won’t be doing 300 damage per swing (hopefully). Though 150 would be pretty sweet.
  • Lol these are good star cards but oh my, you made boba even more annoying. Now everyone is gonna barrage,use hero hunt, stay in the air just to get it back. And regen? He hardly gets damaged, besides a sharp shot. For han, it would have been amazing if you can run with rapid fire active, but a dodge is good too.
  • Too bad it will make the more powerful heroes even more powerful and not really do much for the least powerful characters.

Steamroll is that the real name? It is fitting because that is what it will be.

Passive HOK then more damage reduction for lightside?

Maybe you should just release them for a "trial period". That is open to changes and tweaks. Let everyone know things could change. So that they don't cry real tears again like when you had to implement the needed nerfs to Anakin.

Some card look powerful, but others are useless. An extra roll for Han, but slower ability cool down? Hard pass.

Luke will become even more overpowered.

Phasma has to kill a hero, but others only have to do 200 damage to a hero? Might be okay, depends.

Dooku still doesn't sound great.

Anakin is going back to OP with just the passive HOK.

Anakin isn't going back to being up at all.
  • Vader and Reys look useless. Boba will pretty much permanently have faster cooldowns and he’s gonna be in the air for ages if for the hunt time is reduced. Some good cards and some bad cards it seems we’ll be getting.
  • anidriX
    1238 posts Member
    I feel there are many useless cards here. And I’m not sure I understand some of them. Luke’s sounds interesting but I’m not sure I am interpreting it correct.
    Luke has a base of 130 dmg. So using that card gives you a damage increase of 2 per kill (or 200 villain hp damage) to a maximum. So if the maximum is for example, 20 damage at epic, does that mean that after 10 trooper kills (or 2000 damage to villains), Luke will be dealing 150 damage per hit? @F8RGE could you please confirm if I’m getting it right?
  • Finally something worth being excited for in the form of hero changes
  • anidriX wrote: »
    I feel there are many useless cards here. And I’m not sure I understand some of them. Luke’s sounds interesting but I’m not sure I am interpreting it correct.
    Luke has a base of 130 dmg. So using that card gives you a damage increase of 2 per kill (or 200 villain hp damage) to a maximum. So if the maximum is for example, 20 damage at epic, does that mean that after 10 trooper kills (or 2000 damage to villains), Luke will be dealing 150 damage per hit? @F8RGE could you please confirm if I’m getting it right?

Pretty sure it's between 140 & 150 lol tried to tell people he's not a hit & run hero any more
  • Lyc4n
    1463 posts Member
    I really like this, feels like its a trade off by the looks of these cards and have a high skill ceiling with %stacking, probsbly not usefull for a new player but could be incredibly powerfull for a highly skilled player after a while. Really well done on these star cards dice, this is the sort of choices players should have to make between star cards
  • So when are those jump changes coming for Bossk, Grievous and the BXdroid that was talked about 2 months ago
  • I can't thank you enough for making my Leia card idea real. Thank you! <3
    Current Topics:
    Leia Improvements
    Heroes vs Villains Improvements
    Staff Strikes Improvement

m3s3leriptmd.png
    PSN / Twitter: PlayersPurity

I will not stop complaining until DICE update Leia's Hoth skin's sideburns and add some for Rey!!

• These star cards are fire!!!! @lerodemmy looks like you get your wish for vader.

Yes! @Paulie_Gualtieri came up with this idea a while back. Shame he didn't receive proper credit.
    21 years in the making... the wait is over. Buy RESIDENT EVIL 2 now!
    headerjpgt1547513853
  • Finally something worth being excited for in the form of hero changes

I concur.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • All these Cards are ok but then every player has these wierd extra specific stuff gained and all and nobody has track on and you wonder why someone defeated you bevause all these little buffs and extras and what not... Its a but messy
    My priority list:

1. Fix Split screen mode bugs
    2. Fix bugs
    3. Bigger play area for Duel mode
    4. More love for Starfighter modes
    5. First Person only mode
  • More air time with Boba and even more rocket barraging! What a brilliant idea :#
  • I'm also keen to see the artwork for the new cards, they better look exquisite.
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • I'm also keen to see the artwork for the new cards, they better look exquisite.

While it would be cool to see, I fear we won’t be getting that. Back when every hero got a HoK star card, the old artwork did not change.

You're right actually. I got ahead of myself
    "DEW IT."
    p1jlhhgtai3b.png
    "I am the Senate."
  • Very pleased with these changes. Some of these will be fun to use and will definitely mix things up a little.

Would like to see changes to other current cards as well, Grievous' cyborg rage for one. I always recommended removing the stamina decrease from the card, but reworking it to add damage to its current cap for every kill, like some of these new cards work, could be an interesting alternative.
This discussion has been closed.