criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Battle Point Event
Focused Feedback

Having an argument with a friend about Reys character. Opinions?

Prev13
Lyc4n
1351 posts Member
I keep saying she is a bad character learning to use the force just because the plot needs her to in situations and being stronger than kylo. Rather than developing these abilities.

What does everyone else think?

Replies

• REY is the GOAT. Well, to be more precise, she’s tHe ChOsEn OnE.
    PSN: BucksawBoushh
  • ROMG4
    2908 posts Member
    edited August 12
    4:14 pretty much explains all the problems Rey's writing has

She had a great foundation in TFA but she's been so poorly developed she actually has no development
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • Bad in which case?
    Fighting wise: Good, but somehow already knows how to fight.
    Character development bad: Movie 1, outflies First order pilots, then moves on to mind trick First Order trooper as first use of force, then outfights Crylo in 1v1 battle.
    Theory which will be explained in ep.9
    1. Rey is clone of luke ( through the hand cut off in bespin) and palps got hold of it and used to advantage. This would explain double mirror scene in TLJ.
    2. Created by good ol palps. (Just like Anakin was) Now that Rey is at her training and easily influenced, that's why Palpatine is coming back into the picture with Thrawn.
  • bfloo
    15824 posts Member
    Bad in which case?
    Character development bad: Movie 1, outflies First order pilots, then moves on to mind trick First Order trooper as first use of force, then outfights Crylo in 1v1 battle.
    1. Rey is clone of luke ( through the hand cut off in bespin) and palps got hold of it and used to advantage. This would explain double mirror scene in TLJ.
    2. Created by good ol palps. (Just like Anakin was) Now that Rey is at her training and easily influenced, that's why Palpatine is coming back into the picture with Thrawn.

2 could actually redeem her for me. I haven't forgotten how she used the Palps stabby stabby attack out of no where.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• ROMG4
    2908 posts Member
    edited August 12
    bfloo wrote: »
    Bad in which case?

2 could actually redeem her for me. I haven't forgotten how she used the Palps stabby stabby attack out of no where.

I've wanted that theory because it fit so well. It could have been genuinely interesting and ripe full of all kinds of paths you could take

But nope

Even if they do something like that in the 3rd film there's not much time left to really develop that kind of revelation and the impact it should have on the character's personality and development

That's sort of the problem you get when you rush headlong into a trilogy without thinking ahead or planning anything
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    The OOM-9 Thread
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76756/the-oom-9-thread-9-9-the-phantom-droid/p1
  • bfloo wrote: »
    Bad in which case?

She is too dangerous to be left alive!
  • bfloo
    15824 posts Member
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    Bad in which case?

I've wanted that theory because it fit so well. It could have been genuinely interesting and ripe full of all kinds of paths you could take

But nope

Even if they do something like that in the 3rd film there's not much time left to really develop that kind of revelation and the impact it should have on the character's personality and development

That's sort of the problem you get when you rush headlong into a trilogy without thinking ahead or planning anything

I don't think JJ can pull it off, but it is all I have going into this mess.

h846398gb27k.png

• ROMG4
    2908 posts Member
    Bad in which case?

But nope

Considering JJ has been incapable of writing a satisfying conclusion to any of his stories, I have absolutely no faith in him.

JJ is a great visual director but he's a terrible writer. He has one thing going for him and that is his mystery box writing style. Even though his writing and world building may be un-developed, he puts so many hooks into the story you can't help but be interested in seeing where the story goes from there

And then of course you are inevitably disappointed when he can't follow through with any of it
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

The OOM-9 Thread
  • ROMG4
    2908 posts Member
    Bad in which case?

But nope

Considering JJ has been incapable of writing a satisfying conclusion to any of his stories, I have absolutely no faith in him.

JJ is a great visual director but he's a terrible writer. He has one thing going for him and that is his mystery box writing style. Even though his writing world building may be un-developed, he puts so many hooks into the story you can't help but be interested in seeing where the story goes from there

And then of course you are inevitably disappointed when he can't follow through with any of it, because he can't end a bloody story.

Considering the train wreck the ST has become it's only going to confound that even harder
    OOM-9 FOR BATTLEFRONT 2

The OOM-9 Thread
  • This is Off Topic content

Anyways this not just a critique of Star Wars but modern Disney movies in general. I really hate how new films are just copies of previous art or they are the exact same thing but it’s way worse (life action remakes). Disney should take more risks on new things if they really want that money and Oscar.
  • Lyc4n wrote: »
    I keep saying she is a bad character learning to use the force just because the plot needs her to in situations and being stronger than kylo. Rather than developing these abilities.

I personally like her. She's not my favorite of the entire saga or this trilogy, but I do like her character as there are aspects I can relate to. She's just this generation's Luke Skywalker and I don't see any fault with that. Luke wasn't even my favorite growing up. He grew on me the most in my 25 years of being a Star Wars fan with TLJ.

I also don't believe she's THAT strong in the Force either. I mean, she has great potential, but everything we've seen appears to be nothing more than child's play compared with past movies and even TV series. Nothing that screams she's Legends level Luke or Starkiller. It's just "Oh hey, cool. She can do that." There are people who take on new things as if they've been practicing for years. Take a look at kids like Joey Alexander. Teenager with ADHD who is playing professional grade jazz charts with professional jazz musicians who've been at it for years. Shoot, look at just about any Asian child doing anything ever. Most of her prowess is mainly explained visually rather than verbally and I dig that kind of storytelling.

Overall I see it as an update in the technology being used as well. Like with her flying of the Falcon on Jakku. As cool as that was, it wasn't out smarting the Empire in an asteroid field cool. Han is still the best pilot for the Falcon and the visuals have progressed a lot since 1980 allowing for more creative flying shots. Notice how she doesn't even fly the Falcon that much in TLJ. It's Chewie who's flying and he's pulling of much more daring tactics on Crait.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Basically rey is awesome and people who say otherwise don’t know what they are talking about.

I never really liked her to be honest. She seems a bit to be a convenient character.
  • Laser921
    2097 posts Member
    Very poorly developed character, at least right now. Shes a neophyte Force user who just happens to defeat Kylo, a formally trained duelist and they make her out to be extremely powerful even though, at this point at least, she has NO background, shes just some random. But its whatever. My real critique of the new star wars is the treatment they gave the New Republic. A, in a galaxy where the Empire was still existent, why would they vote to demilitarize? B) the fact Disney made the Resistance is lazy, it almost feels like they didnt want two protagonist groups and so took a copout to remove the New Republic. If you look at wookieepedia, several different articles act like the entirety of the New Republic military was at Hosnian Prime, which again, no sane government would do that. The New Republic was a galaxy spanning government so why would the destruction of one system mean the New Republic is destroyed? Answer, because then the story group only has one protagonist group to deal with. There is a way this can be salvaged in my opinion, give the NR military a COD: Ghosts treatment. Like remaining special forces groups conducting operations here and there against the First Order or teaming up with the Resistance.

I also feel like they kinda have dug a hole for themselves with the NR treatment. So if the New Republic is destroyed, which again makes no sense, galaxy-spanning government, not just a solar system, and the Resistance is pretty much non existent at the end of Last Jedi, where are we going with this? These "allies in the Outer Rim" better be huge because they way they made the First Order out to be, they are huge population wise. Anyways, thats my beef with the sequels, I feel it lacks creativity really, I mean Rey and Kylo are Jaina and Jacen with some alterations. As for my critique of Rey, poor character development.

And side note, @WodiQuix and I wrote a fanfiction story that makes the New Republic look a whole lot better, the link is in the post Creating your own BATTLEFRONT Immersion and Background story - BATTLEFRONT II
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • She coo'

I am Darth Vader, he said within himself.

The dragon tried again to whisper of failure, and weakness, and inevitable death, but with one hand he caught it, crushed away it’s voice; It tried to rise then, to strike

But the Sith Lord laid his other hand upon it and broke its power with a single effortless twist

I am Darth Vader, he repeated as he ground the dragon’s corpse to dust beneath his mental heel. And you- You are nothing at all.

He had become, finally, what they had all called him:

The Hero With No Fear.

• Awful character development. 2 movies in we know basically nothing about her. She is ridiculously powerful considering 7 and 8 took course over about a week, giving her very little time to train. I have some theories about who she is and why she is as powerful as she is by default, and I really hope they come true in episode 9 because if they don't come true I don't see how they can explain it away.
  • Cane_danko wrote: »
    Basically rey is awesome and people who say otherwise don’t know what they are talking about.

Not a subjective opinion

I don’t like Rey, I don’t have to like her
  • Lyc4n
    1351 posts Member
    Laser921 wrote: »
    Very poorly developed character, at least right now. Shes a neophyte Force user who just happens to defeat Kylo, a formally trained duelist and they make her out to be extremely powerful even though, at this point at least, she has NO background, shes just some random. But its whatever. My real critique of the new star wars is the treatment they gave the New Republic. A, in a galaxy where the Empire was still existent, why would they vote to demilitarize? B) the fact Disney made the Resistance is lazy, it almost feels like they didnt want two protagonist groups and so took a copout to remove the New Republic. If you look at wookieepedia, several different articles act like the entirety of the New Republic military was at Hosnian Prime, which again, no sane government would do that. The New Republic was a galaxy spanning government so why would the destruction of one system mean the New Republic is destroyed? Answer, because then the story group only has one protagonist group to deal with. There is a way this can be salvaged in my opinion, give the NR military a COD: Ghosts treatment. Like remaining special forces groups conducting operations here and there against the First Order or teaming up with the Resistance.

I also feel like they kinda have dug a hole for themselves with the NR treatment. So if the New Republic is destroyed, which again makes no sense, galaxy-spanning government, not just a solar system, and the Resistance is pretty much non existent at the end of Last Jedi, where are we going with this? These "allies in the Outer Rim" better be huge because they way they made the First Order out to be, they are huge population wise. Anyways, thats my beef with the sequels, I feel it lacks creativity really, I mean Rey and Kylo are Jaina and Jacen with some alterations. As for my critique of Rey, poor character development.

And side note, @WodiQuix and I wrote a fanfiction story that makes the New Republic look a whole lot better, the link is in the post Creating your own BATTLEFRONT Immersion and Background story - BATTLEFRONT II

My main issue aswell, i feel like they went with resistance just to make a copy of the rebels which was a very poor decision. I could have at least overlooked the other similarities with the ot is they had the new republic army and not the resistance. It just doesnt make sense to me.
  • OcDoc
    1947 posts Member
    Decent character but bad character development.

I would pile on the she is a bad character bandwagon but until we REALLY know her background I can’t quite go there.

The magical, I know how to fly through a super difficult maze of ship wreckage was enough to make me think nothing good will ever really come from her character though. I could sort of handle the fighting part since she grew up on a crappy planet on her own though. I would imagine growing up like that comes with an opportunity to learn how to protect yourself and Kylo wasn’t exactly at peak form when they first met.

I like Kylo’s character 1000 times more.
  • So far Yoda has had the best character development in ST...
  • She is strong in the fawce. Some good theories mentioned in here, if she doesn't turn out to be a clone/ Palp creation I fear the new trilogy is irredeemable to me anyways. And what's with Finns character arc? Straight up made him a running coward again in 8 even though the end of 7 seemed he evolved. Eh it just upsets me Finn is still my fav new trilogy character. Jynn, cassian,Baze and Chirrut are my absolute "Disney" heros
  • OcDoc wrote: »
    The magical, I know how to fly through a super difficult maze of ship wreckage was enough to make me think nothing good will ever really come from her character though. I could sort of handle the fighting part since she grew up on a crappy planet on her own though.

Though isn't it funny how there seems to be a fair amount of overlap between the skill sets of piloting a starship and lightsaber dueling?

Just once, I want to see a badass Jedi who got his license revoked because he couldn't do a 3-point turn.
    ZI7BNkU.gif
    ^Maximum the Hormone - Alien^
    (Sorta like an insane Japanese SOAD, but w/ 3 vocalists and slap bass)

Gamertag: Billkwando PSN: Billkwando YouTube: Billkwando
    Find me in HvV, pushing people off of stuff and watching them fall, like a cat.
  • Lyc4n wrote: »

Blabla whiny whiny st fu. Remember there are freaking babies that didnt learn sht yet and be moving object around with mind cause theyre so force sensitive.
    My priority list:

1. Fix Split screen mode bugs
    2. Fix bugs
    3. Bigger play area for Duel mode
    4. More love for Starfighter modes
    5. First Person only mode
  • She’s lame
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • DarthLando wrote: »
    She’s lame

I know you are but what am i
  • bfloo wrote: »
    Vader was toying with Luke in ESB.

True, but how did he beat him in VI? Where was his extensive training between Empire and Jedi? Or did Vader just let him win? And if Vader was toying with him and then let him win, how can you say Luke was ever really that great at all?

I'm being extreme but basically you tear apart any character because across all the movies, there are character flaws and plot holes. It seems like some people have become very selective at which ones they choose to ignore (or make excuses for) and which ones bug the life out of them.

It just is frustrating for me because a lot of the complaints being made against the new movies can be applied to any of the other 6, if you choose to. Also, nostalgia really colors our perception of the older movies. I can really see it with PT....they were decimated for years, and now it seems like there is a large contingent of fans that defend them, and sing their praises. Probably the generation that were kids when they were released (as I was when the OT came out). The people who are kids now, will look back on the ST with the same rose colored glasses.
  • I guess I dont "hate" the character of Rey per se but like everything else in episode 7 and 8, she just feels like a lack of creativity in making the character. Kinda like how the Resistance and First Order are not creative, they are just copies of the Rebellion and Empire with new names. Honestly, a movie based on like Operation Shadow Hand, or an Imperial die hard finding an ancient weapon and fighting the new republic (with proper military force) would have been very simple in my view. I just hope in episode 9 they really explain the allies in the outer rim bit or show that the New Republic military is still there, weakened but there.

Another thing that could bring me back is if it turns out Snoke is a clone of Palpatine, hence the disfigurement due to the twisted force energy and he comes back as the villain he was touted to be in Episode 7
    Emotion yet Peace, Ignorance yet Knowledge, Passion yet Serenity, Chaos yet Harmony, Death yet the Force
  • CapitalShipDestroyer
    190 posts Member
    edited August 13
    Laser921 wrote: »
    I guess I dont "hate" the character of Rey per se but like everything else in episode 7 and 8, she just feels like a lack of creativity in making the character. Kinda like how the Resistance and First Order are not creative, they are just copies of the Rebellion and Empire with new names. Honestly, a movie based on like Operation Shadow Hand, or an Imperial die hard finding an ancient weapon and fighting the new republic (with proper military force) would have been very simple in my view. I just hope in episode 9 they really explain the allies in the outer rim bit or show that the New Republic military is still there, weakened but there.

Another thing that could bring me back is if it turns out Snoke is a clone of Palpatine, hence the disfigurement due to the twisted force energy and he comes back as the villain he was touted to be in Episode 7

I predict ep. 9 will actually bring Palps back with a (probably with Thrawn) army of his own. You see, Kylo will not like this because due to the rule of two, Kylo was never a Sith. Therefore Palpatine and Kylo will fight each other. This will buy time for the resistance to build forces back up enough with their allies.

Then, Palpatine and Kylo will each be trying to convince Rey to join their side. Rey will go with Palpatine and become a Sith. During this war, Palpatine will actually see to it that the knights of ren will be killed. This will be when Kylo finally turns back to the light side, defeats Palpatine, kills Rey, and actually restores the galaxy to peace.

Throughout this time I imagine that the resistance would be a small (but effective) 3rd fighting force.

Now that would be an excellent movie.
  • Really, Im just mad at the treatment the story group gave the New Republic; no government would place their entire political and military infrastructure in one place AND WHY would anyone vote for demilitarization when you know the Empire is still in existence and that certain high level Imperials were not accounted for? Makes no sense when you think about it. Id love to see a call of duty: ghosts like thing happen, you know, elements of the NR military still kicking and fighting.
  • Laser921
    2097 posts Member
    edited August 14
    She's a clear exemple of a Mary Sue. She's perfect in everything she does, therefore it's a boring character without any room for improvement and development...hence, not a good character

This has been my critique so far as well. What would have made her more interesting is NOT as strong force wise and therefore having to rely on companions like BB8 and Finn for certain areas where she was not proficient. But no, a non trained force user is just magically able to use the force after being mind probed
    Post edited by Laser921 on
  • bfloo
    15824 posts Member
    Wolfman91 wrote: »
    Appl3corps wrote: »
    I like the comment that she is basically this generations Luke, because really, she is no more a Mary Sue than Luke was.

In IV, we see Luke go from driving a car (landspeeder) to getting shoved in a bar, to clumsily blocking blaster shots without seeing them. Then he plays Tarzan and is gunning down ships with the Falcon's guns, before jumping in an X-Wing for the first time and expertly dogfighting (when would he have done that on Tatooine?) and nailing the trench run.

Then in V we see him go from clumsily lopping the arm off a Wampa to holding his own against one of the greatest dueling Jedi of all time. Yes he got beat, but if you really think about it, there is NO WAY he should have been able to do anything against Vader. We never see him go through any lightsaber training in ANY way. He does more Tarzan impersonations and lifts rocks.

I'm not trying to say the OT movies were crap or anything like that, they are my favorites, grew up with them. But if you objectively look at them, they have just as poor character development as any other movie in the franchise. You think people were saying oh yeah, I totally see the struggle Luke went through and all this training when Empire came out?

Maybe it was easier then just to accept Star Wars as a fun film and form of escapism, instead of trying to dissect every little thing and declare if it makes sense or not. In reality, none of it makes sense. It's a fantasy story in a fantasy universe. It's fun, she's a fun character, they are fun movies that I enjoy watching, and I can't wait to see how Episode IX turns out.

But she IS more Mary Sue than anyone in this franchise. I'll just paste my post from other thread:

When it comes to Luke, he struggles much more than we think. He was beaten up by sand people - Obi Wan has to rescue him. He was attacked by criminal in Mos Eisley cantina- Obi Wan saves him again. Later he was saved by Solo, who cleared his six o'clock before he destroyed the Death Star. He would die without his help.

Empire Strikes Back - Solo rescues Luke again. Luke struggles with the Jedi training, Luke fails in the cave. Despite having pretty solid training (not prequel like, but still) he loses to Vader. He went to rescue his friends and ends up being the one who needs to be rescued.

ROTJ - Luke finally grows up, became badass Jedi and responsible human being. He is still not flawless, but embraces his weakneses, saves his father (and Vader/Anakin saves him) despite Yoda and Obi Wan telling him to kill his father, he goes his own way, succeeds and becomes a legend.

That is why everyone can relate to Luke. He struggles, he needs guidance, he fails and only then he finally grows to become something more. Rey is almost perfect from the beginning. She is self made, owns thugs, she escapes on her own, she fixes hyperdrive, she wins against experianced and talented force user despite having no training at all. She learns everything from Kylo's mind, uses mind tricks, she's amazing without reason. She may not be perfect, but she is very close to perfection from the very beginning.

I don't know what kind of messege they want to send to young people. You don't need to struggle, you don't need to train, just be a woman and everything is possible? I dunno.

And that's a shame cause she could be so much better. I really liked her during the first half of TFA. I was never prejudiced against female lead, nothing like that. She just turned out to be really bland, boring and it's difficult to relate to her even for kids, unless they can relate to someone only because she/he has the same genitals.

Sabine Wren has Rey beat in the Mary Sue department.

h846398gb27k.png

• It really boggles my mind that people think this trilogy will be saved if Rey is a clone or a creation of Palpatine (?!?). Thank god these people aren’t actually writing movies and are confined to video game forum fan fiction. They must be the same people who were convinced that Snoke was Mace Windu or whatever.
  • It really boggles my mind that people think this trilogy will be saved if Rey is a clone or a creation of Palpatine (?!?). Thank god these people aren’t actually writing movies and are confined to video game forum fan fiction. They must be the same people who were convinced that Snoke was Mace Windu or whatever.

Of course we dont think he's mace windu... he's obviously the dreaded darth jar jar binks

Of course we dont think he's mace windu... he's obviously the dreaded darth jar jar binks

Haha. Like, the people who are like “Rey cannot have performed that mind trick, she is a Mary Sue” are the same people who are like “yes, Maul got cut in half and fell down an endless abyss but now he has robot legs, so he’s all better.”
  • Bad in which case?

I have zero expectations for episode 9. I expect it to be worse than TLJ. Anything resembling a SW movie would be a bonus.