criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Instant Action & PvE Feedback

Replies

• @MajorChief_IX I came here right to report the same thing you reported.
    While it was clear new infos will arrive at gamescom, that answer is a little good sign for the new pve stuff to be offline.
    They clearly know what people want. And people want it offline.

I personally think it will be what we want...large scale maps, objectives, ai reinforcements....but online.

We'll see.
    Instant Action - Thank you Dice!
  • @MajorChief_IX I came here right to report the same thing you reported.
    While it was clear new infos will arrive at gamescom, that answer is a little good sign for the new pve stuff to be offline.

I personally think it will be what we want...large scale maps, objectives, ai reinforcements....but online.

We'll see.

I agree. I am now extremely confident that we'll be getting all the in-game goodies that we want—large scale maps, AI Heroes, AI Reinforcements, playlists, troops and Hero skin customization, vehicles and starfighters, objectives—but I don't think the PVE modes will be completely offline arcade. It will be online, technically. I believe that it will be akin to what games like 'The Division/Divison 2' do. It will be a completely soloable experience(s), that is connected online for the ability to co-op your way through. It will be an option, not a requirement, to play co-op.

This could result in a few things that we maybe haven't considered yet:

1) This online connection could mean that your progress, XP, credit gain, and customization will all continue as you play "offline." No limitations on credit gain like in Arcade. This has been set up by the expansion of class levels to 999.

2) The online connection will prompt a reshuffling of the current game modes online to guard against further splintering of the player base. Expect to see Strike mode include Extraction, Ewok Hunt, and Blast in the not so distant future. Less likely due to the difference in player counts, but at some point expect to see all of the HvV modes combined into one playlist as well. Less modes (less fractured player base) but same variety of game type. Eventually you'd end up with Capital Supremacy (for all eras), Galactic Assault, Strike (including all Operations modes), Starfighter Assault, HvV, and Fantasy Battles in the new PVE Mode.
    Six Modes when all is said and done, plus Arcade. That tightening of focus will benefit us all over the long term.

3) This online connection will also allow the DICE team to take advantage of the newly developed AI that the game-changers were raving about. If the AI in Capital Supremacy is any indication of this new AI skill, then these "new ways to play PVE" are going to be loads of fun.

4) I believe that requiring these PVE modes to have an Internet connection is a boon for battlefront 2. It may not be what we expected (or thought we wanted in many cases), but keeping this game's focus "online" means that it is far more likely to Recieve continued support far into the future. I can already see this game being supported throughout 2020, and beyond. With a stronger "online" player base (with more offline solo/co-op players), there is more reason to continue to update and support the game from a dev/studio standpoint.
    Continued support (and a longer shelf life) means a higher likelihood of receiving requested content like BF2015 maps, wider array of heroes, more hero skins, weapons, and new maps like Coruscant, Scarif, Utuapau, etc.

5) See point #2... We can also expect for there to be some additions to Extraction and Hunt Mode once they are added to the strike playlist. Not many, mind you. Maybe 1-2 each. And not right away. But it makes sense to add maps to a mode/list that is being played as opposed to a mode/list that is not. Certainly there are a few Extraction maps from BF2015 that could return, and we've known for a while that the team has been toying with other ideas/scenarios for Hunt Mode.

6) This "Online Connectivity required PVE Mode" will also give the private match folks what they've been looking for as well. Since it's online "co-op" you can play solo or with as many friends as you want, with you team being supplemented by the AI. It might not be called Private Matches, but it will have the same effect.

7) Co-Op functionality (as an option) allows you to play with people without subjecting yourself to the hive of scum and villainy that online multiplayer games usually devolve into. As long as the new PVE mode provides the game CONTENT that we want, it's the best of both worlds. And this would certainly fit under the umbrella of "New Ways to Play."

I understand the desire to have this PVE completely offline. It's what I wanted, too. Eventually the servers get shut down and then what? But if this works the way I think it will, the PVE servers may live on long after the main online lobbies for this game have dried up.

I hope I'm wrong and this is all completely offline, but the pieces all fit together too well to be anything but "online connectivity required." And really that in itself is not the issue. Online, Offline, who cares? What matters is the ability to play this game down the line for as long as want. To live out your own Star Wars Fantasy. If this new mode gets us there... I'm in.

Scoundrel out.
  • Scoundrel wrote: »
    @MajorChief_IX I came here right to report the same thing you reported.

We'll see.

I agree. I am now extremely confident that we'll be getting all the in-game goodies that we want—large scale maps, AI Heroes, AI Reinforcements, playlists, troops and Hero skin customization, vehicles and starfighters, objectives—but I don't think the PVE modes will be completely offline arcade. It will be online, technically. I believe that it will be akin to what games like 'The Division/Divison 2' do. It will be a completely soloable experience(s), that is connected online for the ability to co-op your way through. It will be an option, not a requirement, to play co-op.

1) This online connection could mean that your progress, XP, credit gain, and customization will all continue as you play "offline." No limitations on credit gain like in Arcade. This has been set up by the expansion of class levels to 999.

2) The online connection will prompt a reshuffling of the current game modes online to guard against further splintering of the player base. Expect to see Strike mode include Extraction, Ewok Hunt, and Blast in the not so distant future. Less likely due to the difference in player counts, but at some point expect to see all of the HvV modes combined into one playlist as well. Less modes (less fractured player base) but same variety of game type. Eventually you'd end up with Capital Supremacy (for all eras), Galactic Assault, Strike (including all Operations modes), Starfighter Assault, HvV, and Fantasy Battles in the new PVE Mode.
    Six Modes when all is said and done, plus Arcade. That tightening of focus will benefit us all over the long term.

3) This online connection will also allow the DICE team to take advantage of the newly developed AI that the game-changers were raving about. If the AI in Capital Supremacy is any indication of this new AI skill, then these "new ways to play PVE" are going to be loads of fun.

4) I believe that requiring these PVE modes to have an Internet connection is a boon for battlefront 2. It may not be what we expected (or thought we wanted in many cases), but keeping this game's focus "online" means that it is far more likely to Recieve continued support far into the future. I can already see this game being supported throughout 2020, and beyond. With a stronger "online" player base (with more offline solo/co-op players), there is more reason to continue to update and support the game from a dev/studio standpoint.
    Continued support (and a longer shelf life) means a higher likelihood of receiving requested content like BF2015 maps, wider array of heroes, more hero skins, weapons, and new maps like Coruscant, Scarif, Utuapau, etc.

5) See point #2... We can also expect for there to be some additions to Extraction and Hunt Mode once they are added to the strike playlist. Not many, mind you. Maybe 1-2 each. And not right away. But it makes sense to add maps to a mode/list that is being played as opposed to a mode/list that is not. Certainly there are a few Extraction maps from BF2015 that could return, and we've known for a while that the team has been toying with other ideas/scenarios for Hunt Mode.

6) This "Online Connectivity required PVE Mode" will also give the private match folks what they've been looking for as well. Since it's online "co-op" you can play solo or with as many friends as you want, with you team being supplemented by the AI. It might not be called Private Matches, but it will have the same effect.

7) Co-Op functionality (as an option) allows you to play with people without subjecting yourself to the hive of scum and villainy that online multiplayer games usually devolve into. As long as the new PVE mode provides the game CONTENT that we want, it's the best of both worlds. And this would certainly fit under the umbrella of "New Ways to Play."

I understand the desire to have this PVE completely offline. It's what I wanted, too. Eventually the servers get shut down and then what? But if this works the way I think it will, the PVE servers may live on long after the main online lobbies for this game have dried up.

I hope I'm wrong and this is all completely offline, but the pieces all fit together too well to be anything but "online connectivity required." And really that in itself is not the issue. Online, Offline, who cares? What matters is the ability to play this game down the line for as long as want. To live out your own Star Wars Fantasy. If this new mode gets us there... I'm in.

Scoundrel out.

I Really hope so!
    Instant Action Saved The Offline Community!!

FRIENDLY FIRE -> ON/Off in IA
  • Simple question for you guys:

Would you be happy with the new mode featuring large scale maps, objectives, ai reinforcements and hero even though you need to be online to play or this would be a big NO for you because you want it offline?
  • Personally I'm happy for it to require an online connection so long as I can play it solo. Offline would be ideal, but its not the end of the world if online is what we get.

Would you be happy with the new mode featuring large scale maps, objectives, ai reinforcements and hero even though you need to be online to play or this would be a big NO for you because you want it offline?

Personally i'm happy, when this mode requires an internet connection if we are getting all the modes, features and modifications (like in Custom Arcade) we want. But of course i can understand all the people, who just want to have it offline due to a bad connection or the high PS+/XBOXlive costs. Perhaps it would be the best way, if we are getting everything completely offline and online but the AI will be just the Arcade AI offline and online we are getting the better AI including AI heroes.

I'd be more than happy with it, because it would enable me to play and enjoy the game without the hassle of other players. I've often said, I love this game but I hate playing it sometimes. I'm a near daily online player since launch, but I've wanted to enjoy this game at my own pace—the way I want to play. Sometimes I think players in multiplayer ruin the game, but that's just my opinion.

Bots don't spawn trap, they play objectives, and they don't use hit and run tactics. Anyway off the soapbox. I'm very happy about the PVE modes, and I really think like I said in an earlier post, it will be an online mode by a technicality only. I think the online connection will be needed, but it will be the single player "offline-ish" skirmish experience we've been waiting for.
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    My internet is good so I would be happy to get all of that.

However at the same time I wouldn't be happy because of the one most important question for this.

What happens when the servers go offline regardless of your internet?

Unless we can play it offline without being connected to the internet it will unfortunately never solve that problem!
  • I'm going to say this one more time and I really hope before people respond, they take a minute and really think about this from a practical, technical and realistic standpoint. What would be the purpose of having a single player PvE mode, require online? Seriously. I know it is a difficult concept for some of you to even fathom but we already have one PvE mode in BF2 and that mode is called the campaign.
    Unless there is going to be some form of co-op for the new mode, which in essence would be a form of private match (which has not even been hinted even though it has been asked for since nearly the beginning), there is absolutely no upside for them to have online be required for the mode.
    The only argument I keep seeing people say is in regards to the AI, which we know they started trying to implement in some way offline over a year ago but it was put on hold so that they could work on the new modes, heroes and reinforcements. I just makes far more sense, no matter how you slice it, for it to work offline with a potential optional online component as opposed to requiring being connected to EA's servers for a single player experience.

I honestly would like to see discussion as to why it would make logical sense for a (from all the info we have been given so far) single player PvE mode, to require each and every individual to access the servers.
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    mandalorj wrote: »
    I'm going to say this one more time and I really hope before people respond, they take a minute and really think about this from a practical, technical and realistic standpoint. What would be the purpose of having a single player PvE mode, require online? Seriously. I know it is a difficult concept for some of you to even fathom but we already have one PvE mode in BF2 and that mode is called the campaign.
    Unless there is going to be some form of co-op for the new mode, which in essence would be a form of private match (which has not even been hinted even though it has been asked for since nearly the beginning), there is absolutely no upside for them to have online be required for the mode.
    The only argument I keep seeing people say is in regards to the AI, which we know they started trying to implement in some way offline over a year ago but it was put on hold so that they could work on the new modes, heroes and reinforcements. I just makes far more sense, no matter how you slice it, for it to work offline with a potential optional online component as opposed to requiring being connected to EA's servers for a single player experience.

I honestly would like to see discussion as to why it would make logical sense for a (from all the info we have been given so far) single player PvE mode, to require each and every individual to access the servers.

Because there is no logical reason.

Having it be available offline but can be played online Co-op would be the preferred method.

However no matter what Online Only WILL NEVER WORK IN THE LONG RUN !!!
  • Jesbro wrote: »
    I'm going to say this one more time and I really hope before people respond, they take a minute and really think about this from a practical, technical and realistic standpoint. What would be the purpose of having a single player PvE mode, require online? Seriously. I know it is a difficult concept for some of you to even fathom but we already have one PvE mode in BF2 and that mode is called the campaign.

Having it be available offline but can be played online Co-op would be the preferred method.

Exactly. Requiring online would completely defeat the purpose of why Ben said the team is making the mode.
  • Unpopular opinion: The improved offline Arcade AI (April/May 2019) is much better than the online Capital Supremacy AI.

In Arcade, the AI have all 4 classes, use a plethora of different abilities and can tear me down if I make even simple mistakes in my tactics, even if I lower their health.

The AI in Capital Supremacy just roll around and shoot and only have one class. Yeah they can run to command posts, but they pretty much only exist as background objects.

I honestly believe that what we are getting is offline only PvE. Although the hot-potato comments from the Devs still lead to me to reserving a small occupied area of my mind to the concern that it will be server based which would be a very silly decision. Staying strong though, even if gamescom brings disappointment, I'm not going to stop, BF2015 lost so many maps so quickly and I can't let that happen again.

Next week is fast approaching so let's just keep watching for now.
    Instant Action is on the horizon! Thank you DICE so much for this incredible addition to the game!
    @MajorChief_IX I came here right to report the same thing you reported.

We'll see.

Scoundrel out.

The biggest thing for me is to be able to play in split screen.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.

While the servers are up, I would be happy with it if it could be played in split screen. I would not want to lose the mode(s) so I would want it fully offline at server closure.
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    edited August 13
    Simple question for you guys:

While the servers are up, I would be happy with it if it could be played in split screen. I would not want to lose the mode(s) so I would want it fully offline at server closure.

Exactly. My internet is good enough but this would only work temporarily.

If the servers go down we would lose access to the modes entirely and that is not acceptable for the Large Scale modes we are asking for!

I want it offline so it would be "go eat a... " 😂
  • F8RGE said, "Sorry, but I've said that Gamescom is when the news drops."

My response: Thank you for confirming that. :)

F8RGE said, "Yes we are listening."

My response: That was kind of you to let us know thank you F8RGE. :)

F8RGE said, "We know this is a topic for some of you."

My response: Some? There is more of us then you think. It is just that some of us are more out spoken then others. Someone has to fight for the cause. Not everyone has good internet. Not to mention, (least I remind you) when X-Box One and PS4 is no longer supported, only what is available Offline shall be your legacy for this project you worked so laboriously on, just saying.

F8RGE said, "Problem with the good old days, how do you know when your in them?"

My response: Lol, good point.👍🏼 That reminds me of the lyrics to a Billy Joel song, "The good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems." Hmmmmm I wonder if F8RGE was trying to give us hope there? :) Ooooor maybe I'm just reading to much into it.🤔
    “There is always hope.”
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    My guess is either the 20th or 21st is when they will reveal the info about the modes at Gamescon since that is exactly one week before the update.
  • Rax
    38 posts Member
    Jesbro wrote: »

Exactly. Requiring online would completely defeat the purpose of why Ben said the team is making the mode.

Agreed in my case as well. I'm nostalgic. I go back to these games years later and relive the experiences I had when they were brand new. This week I've been playing Shadowrun for SNES a full 26 years after its release. For a game as beautiful as Battlefront is, it would be a shame to not be able to fully enjoy it down the road in the same way. Having the ability to play it offline --truly offline, in the only definition of the word I know-- would allow for that.

This thread is called skirmish/OFFLINE content... I mean, yes, some would not mind the internet connection, but actually that is at least not what I want ... I want to be able to play the game, although something is not working with my internet connection... that's the point of having it offline, it is independent from ea servers, internet connection and speed as well as stability..
  • You should never be forced to have an internet connection in order to access 95% of a disk's content. When DICE was given the Star Wars license (and especially when they started using the name Battlefront), they made a commitment to make the games accessible to Star Wars fans, and not just gamers.

When making a game based on an existing property that is what has to be done, or otherwise you alienate long-time fans in order to please the very temporary audience of standard gamers. Spider-Man PS4 succeeded incredibly well because it was very easy for Spidey fans to pick up a controller and start playing OFFLINE and also satsified gamers with the complex combat and traversal mechanics. Same goes for many other games such as James Bond games, Batman, etc....

DICE have failed to make Battlefront 2 accessible for Star Wars fans of all ages (Which is particularly embarrasing given that they succeeded in the previous installment). If you want to experience the heart of the game, you are forced to go into a very unenjoyable online ridden with more than just a lack of longevity. Large-Scale OFFLINE modes is the only way for them to finally turn this game around.

Droidekas, Commando Droids, ARCs, Felucia, TX-130s, I never in a million years thought this great stuff would ever be added, yet DICE has proven me wrong. Since the diastrous launch they've done a lot to bring this game to greatness, but until they've completed their greatest task yet (All maps available offline with vehicles), then this game will never have the legacy that every other Star Wars game possesses.

Online content is temporary, like a tasty meal that is gone in minutes. Offline content is forever, just like diamonds as beautiful and precious as the stars in the sky.

Considering the great work they've been doing recently, I have faith in them, but I remain very wary for next weeks announcement, yet I still try to keep a happy persona because I really want to believe. One week to go.

Man... I really do ramble on don't I :D
    Instant Action is on the horizon! Thank you DICE so much for this incredible addition to the game!
  • Starmasui73146
    1482 posts Member
    edited August 13
    You should never be forced to have an internet connection in order to access 95% of a disk's content. When DICE was given the Star Wars license (and especially when they started using the name Battlefront), they made a commitment to make the games accessible to Star Wars fans, and not just gamers.

When making a game based on an existing property that is what has to be done, or otherwise you alienate long-time fans in order to please the very temporary audience of standard gamers. Spider-Man PS4 succeeded incredibly well because it was very easy for Spidey fans to pick up a controller and start playing OFFLINE and also satsified gamers with the complex combat and traversal mechanics. Same goes for many other games such as James Bond games, Batman, etc....

Droidekas, Commando Droids, ARCs, Felucia, TX-130s, I never in a million years thought this great stuff would ever be added, yet DICE has proven me wrong. Since the diastrous launch they've done a lot to bring this game to greatness, but until they've completed their greatest task yet (All maps available offline with vehicles), then this game will never have the legacy that every other Star Wars game possesses.

Online content is temporary, like a tasty meal that is gone in minutes. Offline content is forever, just like diamonds as beautiful and precious as the stars in the sky.

Considering the great work they've been doing recently, I have faith in them, but I remain very wary for next weeks announcement, yet I still try to keep a happy persona because I really want to believe. One week to go.

Here here, (all the parts that I chose to paste here on my response, to what you said) that is all well written.🤝👍🏼

Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”
    My guess is either the 20th or 21st is when they will reveal the info about the modes at Gamescon since that is exactly one week before the update.

Yesterday's CT said next week they will reveal all details about the august update that will drop on 28th.
  • @Scoundrel 100% agree.
    I miss so much Cloud City, it was a beautiful map and the only urban map we had.
    Such a waste we can never play on that map again.
    I've been trying to see the silver lining with an "online connection needed" PVE mode, hence my earlier post. If I had my way, I'd prefer DICE to give us these PVE modes COMPLETELY OFFLINE. I don't particularly care if the AI bots are "challenging" or feel like I'm playing against real players. I don't need that.

We want these modes to be completely offline so we can be the star of our own Star Wars adventure. So we can pick up and play whenever we want in whatever scenario we want. So we can enjoy the same mind-blowing fun that Battlefront II provides on a daily basis long after the servers have gone dark and the game's population has moved on the "bigger and better" games.

The single most important reason, above and beyond all else, is so that we don't lose content. This game is amazing. No one posting here or reading this forum would disagree.

BF2015 had some truly glorious maps and modes that we'll never get to play again, unless by some miracle they are ported over to BFII. Death Star Trench Run, Scarif, the Carbon Freezing Chamber on Cloud City, Extraction on Jabba's Palace Garage, just to name a few... All gone. permanently. The lobbies are empty. Barren. Desolate like the Jundland Wastes (which was an incredible map as well). If not for the efforts of two intrepid devs who worked on BF2015 and gave us the flawed yet glorious SKIRMISH, we'd be missing out on the best large scale maps in that game (and some would argue BOTH games) like Outpost Beta, Sorosuub Centroplex, Forest Moon of Endor, etc.

That's why we clamor for maps to be ported over. To enjoy them again. If this new PVE mode is NOT offline, then the same fate will befall BFII. Maybe not immediately. I have a hunch that these servers will stay on for quite a while. But that's not enough, obviously. When the player base wanes (as it eventually will), those live servers will not be populated. Hence the game will die a slow agonizing death. And if this PVE mode is an online connection (as I suspect) the servers may actually stay on for at least the lifespan of the PS5. By that time, my guess is that a core of players will still want to play BFII, but the majority will have moved on.

A truly OFFLINE PVE can mitigate all of that.

To make things simple (and to maximize player enjoyment) the core game modes that are currently available should all be moved offline with some tweaks and modifications (in some cases). Give 'em new names, that's cool. Just don't skimp on the content. And any additions to the online game should continue to be added to this PVE mode.

STARFIGHTER ASSAULT should be added to OFFLINE PVE. It's perfect as is. No changes necessary. Just add in Death Star Trench Run and Bespin Airspace and aid be ecstatic.

GALACTIC SUPREMACY (LARGE SCALE PVE MODE)
    Combine the best parts of CAPTIAL SUPREMACY, GALACTIC ASSAULT, and WALKER ASSAULT into one glorious OFFLINE SANDBOX PVE mode. Essentially take the wide open CS maps with command posts, have an era-specific Walker marching down the battlefield (which side depends on held command posts) and have uplink stations to hold and call in bomber support to take out the walkers. No need for Ion Disruptors to be targeted with AI.

STRIKE
    If all other small modes (minus blast because that already handled in Arcade) are combined into one playlist online, do the same for OFFLINE PVE. To be fair, I've wavered on this one a bit. There's nothing new content-wise that you gain by adding the small modes to PVE, since the current STRIKE MAPS are cutouts of the large maps. But there are some great maps and fun the be had. STRIKE is a lot of fun. EXTRACTION is key here. Adding Kessel and Jabba's Palace (and hopefully eventually the Outer Rim Extraction maps and Carbon Freeze Chamber for Sabotage) would be ideal. THE R2D2 Extracion from the Death Star would be perfect here. Point is, I don't want to lose the small maps here too like we lost them in BF2015. For that reason STRIKE/OPERATIONS need to come to PVE too.

HEROES v VILLAINS???
    Flip a coin. Some days yes, for me, some days no. I personally play SO little of it online that I think it would be a fun distraction from the other modes, but not one I'd play often. It doesn't add much by way of maps. And I'm more than happy if they can add Hero AI into the LARGE SCALE MODE. NO.

EWOK HUNT (and any other Hunt modes added the future)
    I think it would be fun to play these modes without the majority of the team hiding in the cave for the duration of the match, or running off and hiding where they know the shuttle is going to land so they can make a quick exit. You know... Actually hunt and be hunted by ewoks. Or wampas. Or geonosians. Or hunted by Vader. Or whatever else they cook up.

CUSTOMIZATION and PLAYLISTS
    The online customization currently in-game is pretty good and would need very little modification. Give us the ability to determine troop types for both sides, troop counts, troop skins (I.e. A certain clone skin or skins for different maps), hero skins, similar to the options in ARCADE. Let us Era-Lock Heroes and Villains for immersion nuts like me, or choose to "Free for All" with any heroes and villains. Let us CHOOSE the number of heroes on the battlefield at any given time. Want to limit it to two? Great. Want to have Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, Vader, Palpatine, Boba Fett, Bossk, and Iden all at the same time with no other Eras represented? Perfect!
    Then let us create our own playlist of maps and modes to be played.

Let me go to Kamino in Starfighter Assault, then in Galactic Supremacy. Let me set up an all OT Playlist. Let me decide to use only the 327th Phase II in the defense of Naboo. You get the point.

And for the love of the force... Give us back our beloved maps like OUTPOST BETA, FOREST MOON OF ENDOR, SOROSUUB CENTROPLEX, GRAVEYARD OF GIANTS, CLOUD CITY. Give us back SABOTAGE on CLOUD CITY (it's really a GALACTIC ASSAULT mode anyway). And let us Relive the Excitement at our own pace of the DEATH STAR TRENCH RUN.

I'm confident that we'll get a surprising amount of this content, eventually. I'm talking over the course of the next few years (this game isn't going anywhere). But how much of it will truly be OFFLINE? Never tell me the odds...

Again i really hope so just idk..
    Instant Action Saved The Offline Community!!

FRIENDLY FIRE -> ON/Off in IA
  • Starmasui73146
    1482 posts Member
    edited August 14
    @Scoundrel 100% agree.
    I miss so much Cloud City, it was a beautiful map and the only urban map we had.
    That would just be sheer ecstasy to be able to play in PvE. Ooooooh and Carbon Freezing Chamber as well, for "Team Battle". So sweet.

Please take the Offline PvE Mode Survey: Thank you for your time. 👍🏼
    https://forms.gle/BnNnacsXAF8irwXf7
    “There is always hope.”
  • Rax
    38 posts Member
    @Scoundrel 100% agree.
    That would just be sheer ecstasy to be able to play in PvE. Ooooooh and Carbon Freezing Chamber as well, for "Team Battle". So sweet.

For sure. I'm hoping they might do something for the anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back next year involving the Bespin maps from the first Battlefront. It would be a delight to have any of the others available offline in addition to Administrator's Palace. I don't even care which one- they were all amazing.
  • @Scoundrel That sounds great especially the playlists and customization, though the customization I doubt will happen even though it would be sweet, as for the online/offline I stand by what I said in an earlier post, it just doesn't make sense, any way you slice it, for a single player PvE mode to require online unless there will be some multiplayer/co-op component to it, that being said, I don't think it's going to be what a lot of people are expecting.

Until next week, all we have to go one is what F8rge shared which is:

"More info on the way. We'll have more to share in August on the new PvE stuff. It's not a horde mode, as I've seen some speculating."
    And
    "We've only used the words PvE, and we'll keep using those words...until August. We don't even have names for the new modes yet."

NOTE that F8rge used the plural "modes" to describe the new content.
  • Starmasui73146
    1482 posts Member
    edited August 17
    @Scoundrel That sounds great especially the playlists and customization, though the customization I doubt will happen even though it would be sweet, as for the online/offline I stand by what I said in an earlier post, it just doesn't make sense, any way you slice it, for a single player PvE mode to require online unless there will be some multiplayer/co-op component to it, that being said, I don't think it's going to be what a lot of people are expecting.

"More info on the way. We'll have more to share in August on the new PvE stuff. It's not a horde mode, as I've seen some speculating."
    And
    "We've only used the words PvE, and we'll keep using those words...until August. We don't even have names for the new modes yet."

We've only used the words PvE, and we'll keep using those words...until August. We don't even have names for the new modes yet," F8RGE.

Response: Don't have names for the new modes? 🧐 🤔 I wonder what that is saying? If the mode doesn't have a name does that mean it's something no one has ever played before? Why not just call it something like: "Conquest", "Capital Supremacy" or "Galactic Assault" if it's the same thing Offline? Star Wars Battlefront (2015) the mode Online was called: "Walker Assault" mode and Offline it was under the category Skirmish but it was also called "Walker Assault". Hmmmm...I wonder if this has anything to do with how they had hinted at A.I. hero issues waaaaaay back? Perhaps they had to create a very unique mode that caters to very limited Hero A.I. parameters.

l4h39opm0ohu.jpg
    Honestly if the Heroes and Villains are on like 12 different possible set routes (on rails), to prevent falling off maps I wouldn't mind at all DICE.

“There is always hope.”
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    @Scoundrel I posted your wall of text on Reddit and it got a response from F8RGE.

"Just a note, while I don't have the answers for you today *(you'll get them next week)*, I just wanted to say that I have read your post. Not in the habit of saying *seen* but can tell a lot of time and effort went into it.

Thanks for being passionate about the game."

Still vague but at least he read it :)

No I am not trying to take credit for it in any way whatsoever but wanted to make sure the devs read it in case they didn't here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/cpz06n/why_the_pve_modes_need_to_be_available_offline/
  • MajorChief_IX
    220 posts Member
    edited August 14
    Jesbro wrote: »
    @Scoundrel I posted your wall of text on Reddit and it got a response from F8RGE.

"Just a note, while I don't have the answers for you today *(you'll get them next week)*, I just wanted to say that I have read your post. Not in the habit of saying *seen* but can tell a lot of time and effort went into it.

Thanks for being passionate about the game."

Still vague but at least he read it :)

No I am not trying to take credit for it in any way whatsoever but wanted to make sure the devs read it in case they didn't here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/cpz06n/why_the_pve_modes_need_to_be_available_offline/

That was a pretty good response from F8RGE, surely if we aren't getting offline content, he would've completely ignored it. It gives me hope and that is awesome!

Carbon Freezing Chambers my my top most wanted map from BF2015, followed by Cloud City, Goazon Badlands, Swamp Crash Site, Sorosuub Pipelines/Refinery and the Scarif WA maps.
    Post edited by MajorChief_IX on
  • Thanks for putting it out there and spreading the word. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised by what's to come.
  • mandalorj wrote: »
    @Scoundrel That sounds great especially the playlists and customization, though the customization I doubt will happen even though it would be sweet, as for the online/offline I stand by what I said in an earlier post, it just doesn't make sense, any way you slice it, for a single player PvE mode to require online unless there will be some multiplayer/co-op component to it, that being said, I don't think it's going to be what a lot of people are expecting.

And

We've only used the words PvE, and we'll keep using those words...until August. We don't even have names for the new modes yet," F8RGE.

Response: Don't have names for the new modes? 🧐 🤔 I wonder what that is saying? If the mode doesn't have a name does that mean it's something no one has ever played before? Why not just call it something like: "Conquest", "Capital Supremacy" or "Galactic Assault" if it's the same thing Offline? Star Wars Battlefront (2015) the mode Online was called: "Walker Assault" mode and Offline it was under the category Skirmish but it was also called "Walker Assault". Hmmmm...I wonder if this has anything to do with how they had hinted at A.I. hero issues waaaaaay back? Perhaps they had to create a very unique mode that caters to very limited Hero A.I. parameters.

Honestly if the Heroes and Villains are on like 12 different possible set routes (on rails), to prevent falling off maps I wouldn't mind at all DICE.

This would be another good option for hero AI.
  • I found this comment of F8RGE in another thread in the forums.

ceawwr9amtrd.jpg

The comment of Commander_CT_135 was a reaction to the new video of SYLO, who said that the new PvE-modes will be online only.

I wonder if F8RGE's comment about 2 modes is hinting at this months update only or if it will be 2 modes at all (since the Roadmap is hinting at 3 modes at least).
  • So apparently it's confirmed it IS in fact TWO PvE modes, not three or more as some people here were suggesting.
  • I found this comment of F8RGE in another thread in the forums.

ceawwr9amtrd.jpg

The comment of Commander_CT_135 was a reaction to the new video of SYLO, who said that the new PvE-modes will be online only.

I wonder if F8RGE's comment about 2 modes is hinting at this months update only or if it will be 2 modes at all (since the Roadmap is hinting at 3 modes at least).

This IS interesting. Difficult to say for certain if he means two modes total or two modes releasing in August. They've been so vague about the entire PVE addition that it could just as likely be either option.

IF we take this at face value (and I'd like to read the rest of the original thread to get a sense of the context for the comment, so if someone can point me to it that would be great), and there are ONLY two modes than we can deduce that it won't be like the Battlefield 5 co-op everyone is talking about. There are 4-5 of those co-op modes there.

We can also assume (again if there are only two modes) that one will be the pre-promised Starfighter Assault mode, and the other would be the much discussed Large Scale Objective based mode. These two modes distill down everything the game has to offer. There's nothing in the games' small modes that you can't do in these two modes. So there's that.

BUT... don't go running off screaming about this quite yet. DICE have said that there are SEVERAL PVE modes coming. Several by definition means "more than two, but fewer than many." This is where eve been getting our (and my) assumptions that we'll see 3-4 PVE modes ultimately. DICE has been vague and cagey about giving out information regarding updates—especially this one—but being vague and misleading are two different things. Before you say they've lied before... No, they haven't. Not about content. Whatever they have said is coming to the game has come, in time. The only things they've been "wrong" about have been timelines. Release Windows can be difficult to pin down sometimes, so those have changed. I too remember how CS was pushed around the timeline and came out long after originally expected... But it came out.

I think Ben is giving us something here. Something meant to quell some negativity without giving any other info away. They've been silent up until this point. Other than to say it's NOT a HORDE MODE, this is the only tidbit we've received. Ben's a runner... He would NOT go all this time without divulging any info on the new modes only to trip right before the finish line and definitively give up the goods. It's deliberate. He teasing with something we want to know without telling us exactly. No, I think that Ben is Referring to the two modes that are set to release this month (with 1-2 more on the way, later).

***Okay so I just checked the roadmap and found no mention of "several" modes, but AI do recall CT or dev post talking about several modes. Can someone track those mentions down so we can investigate? Thank you.

****** IMPORTANT
    as of this morning, (and I'm not sure how long it has been this way) but the ROADMAP STATES THE FOLLOWING REGARDING FELUCIA
    New Map — Felucia, playable in Capital Supremacy + New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME. First look to be revealed in the fall.

Two takeaways here:
    1) we can assume that at least one PVE MODE will be a LARGE SCALE MODE, since a map designed for Capital Supremacy won't be small.

2) it could be vague semantics, but the words "FALL" and "New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME" should not go overlooked. We know that we're getting at least one PVE MODE IN AUGUST, right? If the above comment by BEN is true, and we're getting two modes in AUGUST, then that makes sense...

Because in the FALL (Sept—Dec) there are "New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME."
    New Experiences... Plural. More than one more to come in the Fall when Felucia drops. If this referred to the Two that drop in August, then it makes no sense to place this tease here in the FALL ROADMAP. Why? Because it's already happened in August/September.

This language, combined with Ben's comment about the two modes, and the mentions of "several modes" that we've been hearing, tells me that we were spot on thinking its 3-4 "New Ways to Play."

...and while we're at it, has the mode name been in front of us the whole time? EPIC BATTLES are listed on the roadmap. Maybe that's a clue.

All that having been said, if im completely wrong and two is all we get then when you boil it down if it's SA and the large scale mode then that's all we need.
  • Imladithil2002
    267 posts Member
    edited August 15
    Scoundrel wrote: »
    I found this comment of F8RGE in another thread in the forums.

ceawwr9amtrd.jpg

This IS interesting. Difficult to say for certain if he means two modes total or two modes releasing in August. They've been so vague about the entire PVE addition that it could just as likely be either option.

IF we take this at face value (and I'd like to read the rest of the original thread to get a sense of the context for the comment, so if someone can point me to it that would be great), and there are ONLY two modes than we can deduce that it won't be like the Battlefield 5 co-op everyone is talking about. There are 4-5 of those co-op modes there.

We can also assume (again if there are only two modes) that one will be the pre-promised Starfighter Assault mode, and the other would be the much discussed Large Scale Objective based mode. These two modes distill down everything the game has to offer. There's nothing in the games' small modes that you can't do in these two modes. So there's that.

BUT... don't go running off screaming about this quite yet. DICE have said that there are SEVERAL PVE modes coming. Several by definition means "more than two, but fewer than many." This is where eve been getting our (and my) assumptions that we'll see 3-4 PVE modes ultimately. DICE has been vague and cagey about giving out information regarding updates—especially this one—but being vague and misleading are two different things. Before you say they've lied before... No, they haven't. Not about content. Whatever they have said is coming to the game has come, in time. The only things they've been "wrong" about have been timelines. Release Windows can be difficult to pin down sometimes, so those have changed. I too remember how CS was pushed around the timeline and came out long after originally expected... But it came out.

I think Ben is giving us something here. Something meant to quell some negativity without giving any other info away. They've been silent up until this point. Other than to say it's NOT a HORDE MODE, this is the only tidbit we've received. Ben's a runner... He would NOT go all this time without divulging any info on the new modes only to trip right before the finish line and definitively give up the goods. It's deliberate. He teasing with something we want to know without telling us exactly. No, I think that Ben is Referring to the two modes that are set to release this month (with 1-2 more on the way, later).

***Okay so I just checked the roadmap and found no mention of "several" modes, but AI do recall CT or dev post talking about several modes. Can someone track those mentions down so we can investigate? Thank you.

****** IMPORTANT
    as of this morning, (and I'm not sure how long it has been this way) but the ROADMAP STATES THE FOLLOWING REGARDING FELUCIA
    New Map — Felucia, playable in Capital Supremacy + New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME. First look to be revealed in the fall.

Two takeaways here:
    1) we can assume that at least one PVE MODE will be a LARGE SCALE MODE, since a map designed for Capital Supremacy won't be small.

2) it could be vague semantics, but the words "FALL" and "New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME" should not go overlooked. We know that we're getting at least one PVE MODE IN AUGUST, right? If the above comment by BEN is true, and we're getting two modes in AUGUST, then that makes sense...

Because in the FALL (Sept—Dec) there are "New NON PVP EXPERIENCES TO COME."
    New Experiences... Plural. More than one more to come in the Fall when Felucia drops. If this referred to the Two that drop in August, then it makes no sense to place this tease here in the FALL ROADMAP. Why? Because it's already happened in August/September.

This language, combined with Ben's comment about the two modes, and the mentions of "several modes" that we've been hearing, tells me that we were spot on thinking its 3-4 "New Ways to Play."

...and while we're at it, has the mode name been in front of us the whole time? EPIC BATTLES are listed on the roadmap. Maybe that's a clue.

All that having been said, if im completely wrong and two is all we get then when you boil it down if it's SA and the large scale mode then that's all we need.

I hope so. The mention of "New Non-PvE-Experiences is actually the reason, why I thought, that at least 3 modes are coming.

You can find the other thread under the following link: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/143261/battlefront-update

EDIT: As i've seen, you found the thread. I think the fact that he has responded with "I've said too much" is very interesting and a bit promising as well.

9szzl6eeeo39.jpg
  • Honestly I would love galactic Conquest of old available offline and if you wanted you could play it online with friends. That would be a 10/10 in my books
  • Ben is answering a lot more questions from the Offline community, at long last the devs have stopped ignoring us entirely, I think this is a really good sign, here is something else from Reddit:

deyk2qxqr6jg.bmp

I'm hoping that it will be 2 new modes this month and then more later on. The problem is that you can't just do CS or GA, it has to be both, because they use different maps. port over one, and you lose all of the maps for the other. Geonosis being the most extreme example of this.

High hopes for next week! I can hardly wait!
  • Ben is answering a lot more questions from the Offline community, at long last the devs have stopped ignoring us entirely, I think this is a really good sign, here is something else from Reddit:

deyk2qxqr6jg.bmp

I'm hoping that it will be 2 new modes this month and then more later on. The problem is that you can't just do CS or GA, it has to be both, because they use different maps. port over one, and you lose all of the maps for the other. Geonosis being the most extreme example of this.

High hopes for next week! I can hardly wait!

Lol, F8RGE can be really funny when he wants to be. Here's to hope, cheers.👍🏼
    “There is always hope.”
  • If it will be 2 modes, it's pretty clear it will be GA/CS (ground phase) and Starfighter Assault. Like Skirmish 2015.
  • Yes the developments are getting very interesting the closer we get, they also said this upcoming CT will over take the previous largest and be the largest so I think it's safe to say there's a lot of anticipation with this one like right before the announcement of CS.
  • It's not offline. Don't go getting your hopes up. If it is great. If not you won't have your heart broke.
  • Jesbro
    631 posts Member
    It's not offline. Don't go getting your hopes up. If it is great. If not you won't have your heart broke.

This is where I think both sides are wrong and right at the same time.

Some say it will be online only (please no)

And others say it will be available offline (Please Yes)

So why not both?

Yes you would need to be online if you want to play with your friends that way but if playing SinglePlayer or Split Screen it would be playable offline as well.

That would work :)
  • It's not offline. Don't go getting your hopes up. If it is great. If not you won't have your heart broke.

Strictly online, makes no sense. What is your reasoning and how would strictly online work for a SWBF PvE mode?
  • @LoneShooter72 Matter of fact, weren't you the person that posted that comment at F8RGE about the PvE mode having "problems" but provided no elaboration as to where you heard that? Are you just trying to be a gray cloud?
  • mandalorj wrote: »
    @LoneShooter72 Matter of fact, weren't you the person that posted that comment at F8RGE about the PvE mode having "problems" but provided no elaboration as to where you heard that? Are you just trying to be a gray cloud?

Yes, actually I am. My fears doubts are so far down with this "pve" lack of a simple yes or no. To me the disrespect of not telling us a yes or no after 2 years and many months tells me that it's no. No offline large scale what's so ever. So since my son was 6 and autistic I've told him to "wait it's coming" to " sorry son you can play a big battle on this one(2005 bf2)".

So yeah big old fat grey cloud. I can't make it happen for him. And to be truthful if it wasn't for him I would not play at all. When I do I'm trying to get skins for him to play with. I would love and have moved on to other games. But everyday or so I have to play with my son on this game. The things I complain about because I watch him and he ask questions about. Only lest than 1/3 rd of the time you see my gamer tag online it's my 8 year old playing. So yeah, some of you are getting rekt by someone that is single digits old. LMAO!
    It's not offline. Don't go getting your hopes up. If it is great. If not you won't have your heart broke.

This is where I think both sides are wrong and right at the same time.

Some say it will be online only (please no)

And others say it will be available offline (Please Yes)

So why not both?

Yes you would need to be online if you want to play with your friends that way but if playing SinglePlayer or Split Screen it would be playable offline as well.

That would work :)

I think we're gonna be happy with the end result. There have been enough hints around "offline arcade" that I'm starting to think you might be right. Whatever this is will likely be something that can be online or offline, I think. And with Ben's "good ole days" rhetoric plus today's comments, I can tell they are beyond confident in these modes. I firmly believe... Two modes now (likely the large scale mode and Starfighter assault) and it wouldn't surprise me to see some form of co-op mode come later on.

Starfighter Assault will be almost identical. The mechanics for the large scale mode is harder to pin down. Will it be closer to GA or closer to CS? I still think it will be a hybrid of the two as I detailed earlier. A hybrid that will more easily fit with the design of ported maps.

I'm really excited now to learn more about these modes. I'm just hoping that they tick all the boxes. Don't half measure it... I don't think they will.

I expect the large scale mode will be objective based. It will feature a 20 v 20 troop setup (or more). Vehicles, reinforcements, and AI heroes for both sides will be available. And there will be some semblance of the customization that we've requested.

Almost there... Stay on target.