criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

BUG Exposed: Restrictive Mind Trick still allowed enemy to use abilities? Here's how to avoid it!

Have you ever used Obi-Wan's Restrictive Mind Trick and then the enemy still managed to choke/pull/freeze/electrocute you? And you knew he was affected by Restrictive Mind Trick? Like in here:

giphy.gif

I know it's a small gif, and I'm testing it in Arcade with Fast Ability Recharge, but that was just to speed up my tests. It does happen on multiplayer too due to the same reasons.

Well, further testings confirmed to me that the reasons for his skill to not work and allow enemies to still use their abilities are the following:
- If the enemy is being pushed or is ragdolling around;
- If the enemy is still standing up after a knockdown effect;
- If Vader or Maul have just used their lightsaber Throws (while the sabers are still flying around).

Showing the throws:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

So if you want your Restrictive Mind Trick to work properly, never use it on enemies being pushed, pulled, knocked down, still standing up, and probably stunned too (but the stuns I can only test whenever I get to my online test setup), or on Vader&Maul while they are doing their saber throws

I tried every other villain ability and their dodges, and none would trigger this BUG, just Vader's and Maul's Saber Throws.

There may be more things that cause this BUG, but these here are 100% reproducible and consistent, and can be avoided ingame by being careful.
Tired of BUGs?

Well, they'll still exist.
But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)

Replies

• BigSwaggy88
    440 posts Member
    edited August 18
    Always great to see these posts and get more mad at how buggy this game is
  • so basically just don't use the ability because, once again, dice has failed in coding
  • UhOhItsJus wrote: »
    so basically just don't use the ability because, once again, dice has failed in coding
    And I can’t wait to wait 10 months for a patch to this
  • I looked at your post and I hate to tell you, his mind trick is working as intended. When you use fast cooldown in arcade, it drastically changes the effects of the abilities. I've done a lot of testing across a lot of heroes so I'll give an example. With fast recharge, when you freeze someone with Kylo, they instantly get unfrozen. Idk why this happens but it does. However in your claim, if a person were to time their ability just right, they could use their ability through the mind trick. This has always been a thing. But arcade testing for stuff like this is very unreliable.
  • Thechosen1_anakin
    8085 posts Member
    edited August 19
    I looked at your post and I hate to tell you, his mind trick is working as intended. When you use fast cooldown in arcade, it drastically changes the effects of the abilities. I've done a lot of testing across a lot of heroes so I'll give an example. With fast recharge, when you freeze someone with Kylo, they instantly get unfrozen. Idk why this happens but it does. However in your claim, if a person were to time their ability just right, they could use their ability through the mind trick. This has always been a thing. But arcade testing for stuff like this is very unreliable.

No he's right actually. Any time a obi-wan has mind tricked me I hope they push me so I can get them in a choke
    Post edited by Thechosen1_anakin on
  • I looked at your post and I hate to tell you, his mind trick is working as intended. When you use fast cooldown in arcade, it drastically changes the effects of the abilities. I've done a lot of testing across a lot of heroes so I'll give an example. With fast recharge, when you freeze someone with Kylo, they instantly get unfrozen. Idk why this happens but it does. However in your claim, if a person were to time their ability just right, they could use their ability through the mind trick. This has always been a thing. But arcade testing for stuff like this is very unreliable.

My Arcade test was done with and without Fast Recharge. Happens that I recorded with Fast Recharge, as I usually first try with Fast Recharge because it makes the test faster, instead of recording with normal recharge.

The method to trigger the BUG was suggested by TKS-Enigma, as he got some footage showing it happening in online multiplayer:

So I decided to give it a go in arcade splitscreen to nail down all possibilities. I know Arcade is different from the main game, but most of the bugs happen by the same triggers. I used arcade splitscreen to successfully discover how to trigger the Disabled Block BUG, the Corpse Attacking BUGs (Luke's, Phasma's, Maul's, and Ani's), the Dodge Stuck BUG, Han's Stuck Sharpshooter Stance BUG, Ani's Heroic Might Stuck BUG, Obi's All-Out Push Lingering Damage Reduction BUG, The Repulsor Cannon Targetting BUG, Palpatine's Chain Lightning Marking Property BUG, Palpatine's Lightning Attack Marking Property BUG, Han's Double Shoulder Charge BUG, Chewie's Double Slam BUG, Rey's Double Dash Strike BUG, Rey's Dash Strike Visual BUG, Obi's Defensive Rush Visual BUG, Saber Visually Blocking From Behind BUG, and more

And as I test first in Arcade I can prepare fewer test cases for Online Multiplayer to be assured of the results.

In this case of Obi however I already knew it happened in Online Multiplayer, and had a great lead with Enigma's footage. So I just tried to do it in Splitscreen and it worked.

If you look carefully, it isn't a properly timed usage of abilities to bypass Mind Trick. The enemies are affected by Mind Trick, and all abilities become available much prior to when they should, as you can see they aren't greyed out for long. It's the same thing in Multiplayer. There's also this report in Answers HQ that shows this issue by user felker_s, and has had some upvotes there from people that also experienced the BUG: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Obi-Wan-s-Restrictive-Mind-Trick-is-not-so-restrictive/m-p/8051060

So what I've shown here is true, and does happen both in Arcade and in Online Multiplayer.

Now about your Kylo freeze issue, I'll add this to my testing list for the next time I do my round of tests. However, in the Chosen One Update, Kylo's Freeze was working as intended in Arcade Splitscreen with fast recharge. You can see it by the end of the video I made to bring awareness about the Disabled Block BUG back then:

Just jumpt to 1 minute in the video to see it.

So I know Arcade isn't 100% reliable, but whenever a BUG happens outside of Arcade and I manage to trigger it in Arcade, then I know it already happens in the online environment. When the opposite happens (I discover a BUG first in Arcade, like it just did with an Iden's Shock Droid BUG I stumbled upon by accident when testing this BUG with Obi), I then try it on Online Multiplayer (and I did with that Iden's Shock Droid BUG and it also works in Online Multiplayer) to be sure.
    Tired of BUGs?

But visit the Rogue Bros Channel, there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • anidriX
    1131 posts Member
    I looked at your post and I hate to tell you, his mind trick is working as intended. When you use fast cooldown in arcade, it drastically changes the effects of the abilities. I've done a lot of testing across a lot of heroes so I'll give an example. With fast recharge, when you freeze someone with Kylo, they instantly get unfrozen. Idk why this happens but it does. However in your claim, if a person were to time their ability just right, they could use their ability through the mind trick. This has always been a thing. But arcade testing for stuff like this is very unreliable.

My Arcade test was done with and without Fast Recharge. Happens that I recorded with Fast Recharge, as I usually first try with Fast Recharge because it makes the test faster, instead of recording with normal recharge.

The method to trigger the BUG was suggested by TKS-Enigma, as he got some footage showing it happening in online multiplayer:

So I decided to give it a go in arcade splitscreen to nail down all possibilities. I know Arcade is different from the main game, but most of the bugs happen by the same triggers. I used arcade splitscreen to successfully discover how to trigger the Disabled Block BUG, the Corpse Attacking BUGs (Luke's, Phasma's, Maul's, and Ani's), the Dodge Stuck BUG, Han's Stuck Sharpshooter Stance BUG, Ani's Heroic Might Stuck BUG, Obi's All-Out Push Lingering Damage Reduction BUG, The Repulsor Cannon Targetting BUG, Palpatine's Chain Lightning Marking Property BUG, Palpatine's Lightning Attack Marking Property BUG, Han's Double Shoulder Charge BUG, Chewie's Double Slam BUG, Rey's Double Dash Strike BUG, Rey's Dash Strike Visual BUG, Obi's Defensive Rush Visual BUG, Saber Visually Blocking From Behind BUG, and more

And as I test first in Arcade I can prepare fewer test cases for Online Multiplayer to be assured of the results.

In this case of Obi however I already knew it happened in Online Multiplayer, and had a great lead with Enigma's footage. So I just tried to do it in Splitscreen and it worked.

If you look carefully, it isn't a properly timed usage of abilities to bypass Mind Trick. The enemies are affected by Mind Trick, and all abilities become available much prior to when they should, as you can see they aren't greyed out for long. It's the same thing in Multiplayer. There's also this report in Answers HQ that shows this issue by user felker_s, and has had some upvotes there from people that also experienced the BUG: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Obi-Wan-s-Restrictive-Mind-Trick-is-not-so-restrictive/m-p/8051060

So what I've shown here is true, and does happen both in Arcade and in Online Multiplayer.

Now about your Kylo freeze issue, I'll add this to my testing list for the next time I do my round of tests. However, in the Chosen One Update, Kylo's Freeze was working as intended in Arcade Splitscreen with fast recharge. You can see it by the end of the video I made to bring awareness about the Disabled Block BUG back then:

So I know Arcade isn't 100% reliable, but whenever a BUG happens outside of Arcade and I manage to trigger it in Arcade, then I know it already happens in the online environment. When the opposite happens (I discover a BUG first in Arcade, like it just did with an Iden's Shock Droid BUG I stumbled upon by accident when testing this BUG with Obi), I then try it on Online Multiplayer (and I did with that Iden's Shock Droid BUG and it also works in Online Multiplayer) to be sure.

I’m having a hard time deciding if this comment Insightful or Awesome.

@F8RGE, please comment and report this bug. The level of thoroughness of this guy’s testing is mindblowing. It bums me out the lack of appreciation he gets for all the efforts he puts into trying to make this a better game.
  • anidriX wrote: »

I’m having a hard time deciding if this comment Insightful or Awesome.

@F8RGE, please comment and report this bug. The level of thoroughness of this guy’s testing is mindblowing. It bums me out the lack of appreciation he gets for all the efforts he puts into trying to make this a better game.

Thanks for the appreciation! It really helps me continue to do what I'm doing here. Without a full time job now (and in desperate need of one), and with some family issues going on, reading this really makes my day.

I wish I had more time to do these tests. And it would be awesome if I could work with something like that. I've been playing video games since I was six, 23 years later and I'm still a huge fan of them. I always liked to discover secrets in games, try to push the boundary of mechanics and strategies. Eventually bug/glitch hunting naturally became a goal too.

But it wasn't until this game arrived that my skills in bughunting really soared (I know it'll sound rude, but there are so many BUGs in this game that it becomes easy to hone the bughunting skills).

Having a job testing videogames would be a dream, and if I manage to get the money to finish college on Computer Engineering (which I can't pay for now, and I only need 1 year to get my diploma), I hope to get a proper dev job. Too bad there aren't any gaming companies here in Brazil, only some small ones that work on mobile games. And I'm not very fond of mobile games or smartphones TBH (I only got my first smartphone on 2016, I was very reluctant :D )
    Tired of BUGs?