criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

DICE Breaks Tradition of Game Development Lifecycle Starting with Battlefront II

lowell
2399 posts Member
Dennis Brännvall, the lead developer of the game, confirms DICE will go forward with game development for Battlefront II with no expected end date. This is the first time DICE has done so, comparing with ending development for Battlefront 2015 immediately after the Season Pass ended.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-22-restoring-trust-in-star-wars-battlefront-ii

Replies

• This is good news.
  • F8RGE wrote: »
    We're almost two years past launch and turned up to gamescom with one of our biggest announcements and capture events since launch, if not the biggest.

We're excited for the future.

the future is littered with prizes????

xa6bo45tw0k4.gif

cny3pozpq5zb.gif
    JEFF GOLDBLUM A GOD

• That's great news.

Hopefully EA gives DICE a bigger team to work on the game.

Too support the game a dedicated team could be working on skins, Voice lines and emotes, this would make the game better for 3 reasons:
    1. Make the players happy with better customization options, especially for heroes.
    2. Would make lots of money, which would fund future content and could potentially turn BFII into the "10-year" cash cow game EA failed to achieve with Anthem.
    3. Lets the rest of the team work on new planets, heroes, Reinforcements and game modes.

With a bigger team they could even have a specific group working on content for neglected modes like Cargo and SA, which would in turn, expand the games audience and generate more revenue.
  • Maybe a massive BF15 port is in store? Would love that. The games play so differently that anything brought over feels fresh.
  • lowell wrote: »
    Dennis Brännvall, the lead developer of the game, confirms DICE will go forward with game development for Battlefront II with no expected end date. This is the first time DICE has done so, comparing with ending development for Battlefront 2015 immediately after the Season Pass ended.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-08-22-restoring-trust-in-star-wars-battlefront-ii

How many years do you think BF2 will get content for? Me personally I think we'll still be getting updates when the new trilogy hits cinemas.

This could be EA's Rainbow 6S
  • Lyc4n
    1885 posts Member
    lowell wrote: »

How many years do you think BF2 will get content for? Me personally I think we'll still be getting updates when the new trilogy hits cinemas.

I think this mostly depends on the new generation of consoles and if this game can just be ported over. They could leave content drops for a year or two and then do a huge drop with a 4th era tbh
  • Lyc4n wrote: »

I think this mostly depends on the new generation of consoles and if this game can just be ported over. They could leave content drops for a year or two and then do a huge drop with a 4th era tbh

Dont see why it wouldn't port over.

Also your idea of the massive content drop is interesting. In the years before releasing it, DICE could make quality of life changes/bug fixes
  • ZephanUnbound
    3636 posts Member
    edited August 2019

I think we'll see Battlefront 3 either Holiday 2021 or Holiday 2022. I think we'll see content for Battlefront 2 up until about 6 months before Battlefront 3 releases. EA's 10 year Star Wars license expires in mid 2023, so surely they'll want to release one last Battlefront game before then. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'll Rainbow Six Siege Battlefront 2 and have support for many years.

I think we'll see Battlefront 3 either Holiday 2021 or Holiday 2022. I think we'll see content for Battlefront 2 up until about 6 months before Battlefront 3 releases. EA's 10 year Star Wars license expires in mid 2023, so surely they'll want to release one last Battlefront game before then.

I really hope they don't release another Battlefront to be honest, just keep expanding on this game and then release a different type of SW game for next gen consoles before their license ends

I think we'll see Battlefront 3 either Holiday 2021 or Holiday 2022. I think we'll see content for Battlefront 2 up until about 6 months before Battlefront 3 releases. EA's 10 year Star Wars license expires in mid 2023, so surely they'll want to release one last Battlefront game before then.

I really hope they don't release another Battlefront to be honest, just keep expanding on this game and then release a different type of SW game for next gen consoles before their license ends

Well, we know they have at least one more non-DICE Star Wars game after Jedi: Fallen Order, EA Vancouver is making it, using assets from the cancelled Visceral/Motive Star Wars game.

Well, we know they have at least one more non-DICE Star Wars game after Jedi: Fallen Order, EA Vancouver is making it, using assets from the cancelled Visceral/Motive Star Wars game.

Yep, so it'll be something like an open-world rpg thing with bounty hunters and smugglers maybe
  • lowell
    2399 posts Member
    Maybe a massive BF15 port is in store? Would love that. The games play so differently that anything brought over feels fresh.

I think if something that was in Battlefront 2015 that will be brought in, DICE will probably just start from scratch because they've said porting and doing new content have similar time frames.

But this time with more frequent contact with Lucasfilm and the Story Group, they will be able to avoid some continuity problems.

The CJ-9 Bo-Rifle never existed anywhere else in canon and didn't extend its melee properly.

The real models are AB-75 and J-19 from Rebels. Considering DICE is getting better at bringing the correct models for blasters from all over the canon, I prefer getting the exact models instead of winging a new one.

Shadow Troopers never existed anywhere else in canon and the Death Troopers' presence in many mediums has replaced the Shadow Troopers' role, thus not needing them.
  • lowell
    2399 posts Member

They technically should have talked about other EA Star Wars games in development at EA Play alongside Fallen Order and Battlefront II. It would've been to good to hear about the status of projects but I'm guessing TROS is keeping a lot of stuff under hostage wraps.

Timothy Zahn said with Thrawn and Ezra post-Rebels, that's something he can't comment on or even do a novel on until TROS is released.

I think that's why they even hesitated on announcing on the post-ROTJ Rebels sequel series at Celebration Chicago since the events of TROS are going to be relevant for everything upcoming from Lucasfilm that hasn't been acknowledged much but teased.

Especially Project Luminous:

d4nzsntx4ae4r4e.jpg#main

With five Star Wars authors reportedly involved,

Charles Soule, Justine Ireland, Claudia Gray, Cavan Scott, and Daniel José Older
  • skincarver wrote: »
    F8RGE wrote: »
    We're almost two years past launch and turned up to gamescom with one of our biggest announcements and capture events since launch, if not the biggest.

Great to hear.
    Infantry likes to feel excited for the future as well.
    Please let it happen.

What about starfighter pilots?

We’re still holding out hopes for new Starfighter Assault maps.
  • 2020 for Battlefront II is looking promising. If we get the other eras for Capital Supremacy and Instant Action its going to be real awesome.
  • Excellent news. The forums shall live on forever.
  • Rinku
    163 posts Member
    Great news.
    Open your eyes...
    ekn97qol2xso.gif

• cant help but be annoyed when they say "the community is happier then ever" it should be changed to "the casual community is happier then ever" game is still extremely unbalanced and full of glitches and we still dont have private matches.

dont even know how the casuals can be happy either most of the time you search for a game its a dead lobby or you will play 2 or 4 games then it will put you in a dead lobby and this is happening on ps4 on Virginia and Oregon servers.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN: unit900000 Xbox gamer tag: MetaltronXII
  • But I thought Battlefront 2 was dead?
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • Lyc4n
    1885 posts Member
    unit900000 wrote: »
    cant help but be annoyed when they say "the community is happier then ever" it should be changed to "the casual community is happier then ever" game is still extremely unbalanced and full of glitches and we still dont have private matches.

dont even know how the casuals can be happy either most of the time you search for a game its a dead lobby or you will play 2 or 4 games then it will put you in a dead lobby and this is happening on ps4 on Virginia and Oregon servers.

Ive been here from the begining and im a lot happier now than ive ever been. The game was **** compared to wat it is now. Yeah it still has its flaws but you cannot deny its a lot better
  • Lyc4n wrote: »
    unit900000 wrote: »
    cant help but be annoyed when they say "the community is happier then ever" it should be changed to "the casual community is happier then ever" game is still extremely unbalanced and full of glitches and we still dont have private matches.

Ive been here from the begining and im a lot happier now than ive ever been. The game was ***** compared to wat it is now. Yeah it still has its flaws but you cannot deny its a lot better

more content dont make a game better I miss actually being able to go through a whole map rotation in GA now its just dead lobbys and backing out and researching not to mention balance issues and glitches still being a big problem.
    Dont act a fool and you wont get called out. PSN: DarthOdium- old PSN: unit900000 Xbox gamer tag: MetaltronXII
  • F8RGE wrote: »

Great, me too! Just want to let you know I think you guys are doing a great job. This has become my favorite multiplayer game of all time, and I love the new content we've seen since late fall of 2018. Keep up the great work!
  • Alex64
    8155 posts Member
    I don't think so
    Why did your sold your soul to the devil?