criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
November Community Calendar

Are we allowed to express negative opinions in this forum?

Or are we not?

Replies

• I have a negative opinion on negative opinions
    Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Smattonellus
    819 posts Member
    edited September 24
    Negative for the sake of negativity isn't allowed, criticism is though
  • It’s always sunny in the SWBF forums. Have a wonderful day and you look marvelous! 😉
  • i will have a positive opinion if the next update is bug free
  • Speedjack wrote: »
    i will have a positive opinion if the next update is bug free

LOL, I am very positive about that.
  • bfloo
    15931 posts Member
    Speedjack wrote: »
    i will have a positive opinion if the next update is bug free

Good try, but that would be a first.

@Mastahpeece

I have a negative opinion about your negative opinion of a negative opinion.

sir1prv2jnzs.png
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• I wanted to point out the commando helmet has an error but I’d better not on second thought.
    Battlefront II has a 45.8% chance of success.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Clearly they are fine with constructive criticism. I'm sure they are ok with the occasional thread of frustration. But there's been some consistent negativity from people on these forums, like beating the same tired old drum in every thread. It borders on trolling, and that's what I'm guessing they want to put a stop to.
  • F8RGE wrote: »

This.

There is much more negativity here than positive.

The key thing here is how it's delivered. Having someone rage about about something with the net outcome being "this is rubbish" has little to no value. Someone taking their time to explain why they don't like something, does bring something to the table.

While this is mostly true and the right thing to do, a comment I made that was blunt, with criticism, but with specifics to back it up was removed from a CT. Doing that made the thread appear that everyone was agreeing with the CT without dissent.
    This is a quote from @EA_Tom in a "PSA" block following a comment he made: "If you want your voice to matter, be respectful to our teams at EA and DICE, and your fellow players. At all times. Calling others -- especially our Developers -- lazy or incompetent is a surefire way to diminish the quality of your feedback, and to find a swift exit from these forums. Treating each other with respect leads to a better and healthier community, and better games."

If I read this correctly it states "be nice or be gone". While I don't agree with the typically trash-talking, trolling, negative nature of social media in general, asking a bunch of young guys to be "respectful" is a bit much. You can be tactful and get your point across, but to expect some kind of forced deference to the devs or other forum members is not going to happen with most.
    15ik61ug1jc5.gif

sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • ToadHallMayhem
    878 posts Member
    edited September 24

..............., asking a bunch of young guys to be "respectful" is a bit much. You can be tactful and get your point across, but to expect some kind of forced deference to the devs or other forum members is not going to happen with most.

This is why they are not asking. They are requiring it.
    Post edited by ToadHallMayhem on
  • OcDoc
    1984 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »

This.

The key thing here is how it's delivered. Having someone rage about about something with the net outcome being "this is rubbish" has little to no value. Someone taking their time to explain why they don't like something, does bring something to the table.

While this is mostly true and the right thing to do, a comment I made that was blunt, with criticism, but with specifics to back it up was removed from a CT. Doing that made the thread appear that everyone was agreeing with the CT without dissent.
    This is a quote from @EA_Tom in a "PSA" block following a comment he made: "If you want your voice to matter, be respectful to our teams at EA and DICE, and your fellow players. At all times. Calling others -- especially our Developers -- lazy or incompetent is a surefire way to diminish the quality of your feedback, and to find a swift exit from these forums. Treating each other with respect leads to a better and healthier community, and better games."

If I read this correctly it states "be nice or be gone". While I don't agree with the typically trash-talking, trolling, negative nature of social media in general, asking a bunch of young guys to be "respectful" is a bit much. You can be tactful and get your point across, but to expect some kind of forced deference to the devs or other forum members is not going to happen with most.

That is sort of putting words in his mouth. He specifically says, don’t call others, particularly the developers, lazy or incompetent and behavior like that is grounds to be removed from the board.

I don’t think it needs to be restated as “be nice or be gone”.

I don’t understand why people have a tendency to restate simple comments that seem pretty straight forward to begin with. But if I was going to do it, I would take it more as “don’t attack, or be gone” which is fairly consistent with the forum rule set and sensible.

• OcDoc wrote: »

This.

That is sort of putting words in his mouth. He specifically says, don’t call others, particularly the developers, lazy or incompetent and behavior like that is grounds to be removed from the board.

I don’t think it needs to be restated as “be nice or be gone”.

I don’t understand why people have a tendency to restate simple comments that seem pretty straight forward to begin with. But if I was going to do it, I would take it more as “don’t attack, or be gone” which is fairly consistent with the forum rule set and sensible.

Agreed. The post from EA Tom is very clear. And why should we not expect people capable of posting on a forum to also be capable of controlling their conduct? We are posting in their forums. They have a community they want to build here. It's their right to decide what that community should look like.

Besides, calling devs incompetent and lazy on their own forums isn't exactly a brilliant move. LOL!!

It's the same thing as if someone goes to a Twitch streamers chat and starts ragging out the streamer or trolling the people in chat. They'll get banned in no time, and for good reason.
  • Ponds main

Officer of The Knights of Gareth
    uruzea55jgr4.png
  • Silly thread.
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    Only if you're a part of the clone crowd. The rules don't apply to shills like they do for the rest of us.

False

You're not going to tell me Santa is real next, are you?
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"

The key thing here is how it's delivered. Someone taking their time to explain why they don't like something, does bring something to the table.

Except when it relates to SA.
    #StarWars-y
  • IIPrest0nII
    4780 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Or are we not?

I think you can express your negativity, but only following the forum rules and guidelines: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76222/star-wars-battlefront-forum-rules-guidelines#latest

For some people it's really difficult to do so. If it's also difficult for you, please refrain from posting to avoid possible sanctions against your profile.
    Star Wars Battlefront Community Forums Moderator

This.

Since you accept criticism, why was an Iden nerf given priority over buffing leia, tweaking boba, improving droidekas, or you know literally anything else?
  • Ben_Solo wrote: »
    Or are we not?

I think you can express your negativity, but only following the forum rules and guidelines: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/76222/star-wars-battlefront-forum-rules-guidelines#latest

For some people it's really difficult to do so. If it's also difficult for you, please refrain from posting to avoid possible sanctions against your profile.

Saying "great job devs" without explaining why is the same thing as to say "you devs suck" without explaining why. You are writing something without being constructive. So why are the former allow but not the latter?

Technically right. Where else would/ should they be held accountable 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Alwe15 wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    I feel that we are not able to express some kind of criticism about the silly clone wars parade of content.

Really Alex? Literally every damn opportunity and you'll take it...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 never misses
  • Alwe15 wrote: »
    Alex64 wrote: »
    I feel that we are not able to express some kind of criticism about the silly clone wars parade of content.

Really Alex? Literally every damn opportunity and you'll take it...

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 never misses

Literally never. Poised at her keyboard waiting to post anti-CW propaganda.
  • @Alex64 Yeah Alex. You should just conform to your gender role and be seen but not heard. How dare you have an opinion! Unacceptable!

Am I right? ;)
    Heart of darkness beateth, Ultima
    Iron enigma treateth, Ultima
    Shielding light retreateth, Ultima
    Hydaelyn defeated. Ah, Ultima

The fact is that if you're running it's because you suck, and the game shouldn't pander to players who suck.

y6qvidach2x9.png

"I have never died to a Finn"

This.

1y4mjpvmz5w7.gif
    Video games, music and movies for life!
  • IronSoldier
    3790 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    Y'all gonna hate me. But i've moved this to off topic and it's discussion about the forum and not the game :)
  • Y'all gonna hate me. But i've moved this to off topic and it's discussion about the forum and not the game :)

Where topics go to die ♥
  • Relmets wrote: »
    You can’t even make up punny nicknames for things

You can't even post a joke about a (badly designed) armor.
    sfg04pfx1l31.gif
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    Relmets wrote: »
    Relmets wrote: »
    You can’t even make up punny nicknames for things

I’m gonna call you Helmets because it sounds like Relmets and there’s nothing you can do to stop me

emote.png

KresusFIN wrote: »
    KresusFIN wrote: »
    Only if you're a part of the clone crowd. The rules don't apply to shills like they do for the rest of us.

False

You're not going to tell me Santa is real next, are you?

Bruh people trash the clone wars daily and they are still on here. Weird. Anti CW shills get the same treatment bud, next you’re gonna tell me these forums aren’t fair😂

gu2qen1g6c9q.png
    5yr7tgfakeog.png

Just now seeing this That’s easy. What’s a derogatory line that’s been used for the OT or ST? People don’t bother using many. I’ve been booted for negative talk about the ST, as I’m sure others have. What’s the difference? People just don’t use those terms for every era like the anti CW fanboys religiously use that one. Try again. It’s giving a wildly popular example

Also terms like "OT purist" "OT lover" and also any other term some people use to call those who want OT content.

Sure. And people get booted for those I’m sure. It goes all 3 ways, CW hate just seems to be the most prolific in these forums. Derogatory is derogatory 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • EA_Rtas
    1569 posts EA Moderator
    edited September 25
    So I'll weigh in on this one as well. As others have pointed out rather well, Tom's statement was not a "be nice or be gone" post. He specifically brings up you can be negative or positive, that isn't the problem. The problem is people repeatedly breaking the rules when they do so, either by disrespecting other users here on the forum or the developers or volunteer moderators. A bit of civility can go an awfully long way.

Considering it's specifically called out in the rules it realistically shouldn't be too much to ask for that. Especially considering the vast majority of people on here are perfectly capable of discussing and getting their opinions across without breaking the rules when doing so.

Personally I don't think it's too much to ask that the rules be followed, they're not exactly new and following rules isn't exactly a new concept, they exist on pretty much most online forums and social media.

Bottom line is that we're never going to stop you from posting your negative opinion as long as it doesn't break the forum rules and as @F8RGE said above constructive negative feedback is always going to be significantly more useful and valuable than a comment that says "you suck" with pretty much zero additional information.

I have removed some posts from in here that broke a couple of rules including discussing moderation. I'm happy to leave this thread up for you all to discuss this but you need to keep it within the rules.
  • Alex64 wrote: »
    I just want to say that the only time i asked more female representation in troopers for this game my thread was closed, and then other people make spam by creating a lot of threads about the same topic and those threads are never closed, and i want to say that i'm not talking about moderation, i'm talking that women are not being heard when we ask something in a very polite way, that's all.

I'm really sure that's not why the thread was closed. If I remember correctly, it turned into a circular argument about how you didn't want female clone troopers and yet wanted female representation in the PT era, despite it being impossible for both factions to have female representation because they are a robotic droid army and an army of clones of Jango Fett. And then the usual result of trying to argue with you ensued. You refused to give any ground and people kept getting more and more frustrated until the thread was closed because it was becoming pointless.

So no, the thread was not closed because "women are not being heard" it's because you expressed your point in a low quality and confusing way.

The reason other threads weren't closed is because they were not confusing about what they were asking for, expressed what they wanted well, and didn't argue with the commenters resulting in pointless and draining arguments being the entirety of the comments.
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • EA_Rtas
    1569 posts EA Moderator
    Alright folks, let's leave it out with calling out other users. It's not cool.
  • KresusFIN wrote: »
    @Alex64 Yeah Alex. You should just conform to your gender role and be seen but not heard. How dare you have an opinion! Unacceptable!

Am I right? ;)

No.
  • EA_Tom
    371 posts EA Community Manager

This.

I disagree with your takeaway from my quote. And I'll explain why (without the use of a disagree button).

Our aim has never been to remove negative opinions. Rather, it is to encourage and maintain respectful discussion. We don't have to be unkind to each other in other to discuss varying opinions, or difficult topics. Even if they're negative. This also means comments don't simply get a free pass because they contain some constructive points, while the rest is unconstructive.

Please also note that my comment reads be respectful to our teams at EA and DICE, and your fellow players. This has never been specifically about our developers, but this needed to be called out specifically because we've seen an increase in abusive comments directed their way, while at the same time questions were being raised about why they didn't post here..

To your comment "asking a bunch of young guys to be "respectful" is a bit much." I also don't agree with this. I don't think a bunch of young guys is an accurate representation of the Star Wars fan base, or those who come here to discuss. We should simply strive to be our very best and give each other a fine reputation to live up to. Being respectful to each other shouldn't be considered something that's too much to ask.

I'm curious to hear why you or others think that following these guidelines wouldn't lead to better discussion (on these forums).

With that said, you can always ping me directly if you see something that raises questions. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
  • IXPrometheusXI
    709 posts Member
    edited September 26
    EA_Tom wrote: »

This.

I disagree with your takeaway from my quote. And I'll explain why (without the use of a disagree button).

Our aim has never been to remove negative opinions. Rather, it is to encourage and maintain respectful discussion. We don't have to be unkind to each other in other to discuss varying opinions, or difficult topics. Even if they're negative. This also means comments don't simply get a free pass because they contain some constructive points, while the rest is unconstructive.

Please also note that my comment reads be respectful to our teams at EA and DICE, and your fellow players. This has never been specifically about our developers, but this needed to be called out specifically because we've seen an increase in abusive comments directed their way, while at the same time questions were being raised about why they didn't post here..

To your comment "asking a bunch of young guys to be "respectful" is a bit much." I also don't agree with this. I don't think a bunch of young guys is an accurate representation of the Star Wars fan base, or those who come here to discuss. We should simply strive to be our very best and give each other a fine reputation to live up to. Being respectful to each other shouldn't be considered something that's too much to ask.

I'm curious to hear why you or others think that following these guidelines wouldn't lead to better discussion (on these forums).

With that said, you can always ping me directly if you see something that raises questions. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Was legit going to say "If people were respectful in voicing there negative opinions this wouldn't be a problem" like 10 minutes ago but decided I didn't need to get in to this but EA_Tom took care if it. Nice job man.

Edited to remove duplicate quotes ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg This isn't mine, Just thought it was cool

Rule 39: Never say no to Bacta

When you have been playing since launch Cool kid 8)

I want to make a squad of 4 Commandos and then scream "FORM UP DELTA SQUAD"

We need Delta Squad Commando skins.
  • EA_Rtas
    1569 posts EA Moderator
    if you've got a grievance with someone that you want to discuss with them then please do so via DM, derailing a thread isn't the right way to do it. If you have a concern that someone is trolling you/targeting you etc then you can report them or contact a moderator to look into it.

Lets keep this on topic please.
  • MK300MK
    77 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Or are we not?
    No, I like to think you pretty much shouldn't have one if you want to be safe from provoking them.
    "Somewhere over this horizon sit a million little dictators eager to purge society of its strengths"
    -Mk300mk