criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Instant action split screen disappointment👎

Prev1
Chaotic
20 posts Member
edited August 22
I have been wanting for some time for more in Arcade with split screen, instant action gave hope till I heard from Twitter that it won't support split screen of this time. That's really disappointing, me and my brother share the same console, playing together is only in Arcade. Dice really needs to add split screen some how for instant action. The original 2005 had split screen. This game should have it in some capacity.

Replies

• They should figure out something.
  • Chaotic wrote: »
    I have been wanting for some time for more in Arcade with split screen, instant action gave hope till I heard from Twitter that it won't support split screen of this time. That's really disappointing, me and my brother share the same console, playing together is only in Arcade. Dice really needs to add split screen some how for instant action. The original 2005 had split screen. This game should have it in some capacity.

As far as i know, the hardware couldn't handle so much AI in the battlefront at the same time. Perhaps they could lower the count of AI for splitscreen at some time.
  • So far, it won't happen at launch. It is a shame, but I also understand how the game needs to hit performance standards.

Did you ever play games in the 90s like Mario Kart via split screen? The resolution went down, the frame rate dropped and depending on player numbers you'd get black bars on the screen too, all to keep the game performance going.

All these years later, yep, it's still an issue. Hopefully, down the line it'll happen 😊
  • Chaotic
    20 posts Member
    edited August 22

"As far as i know, the hardware couldn't handle so much AI in the battlefront at the same time. Perhaps they could lower the count of AI for splitscreen at some time.[/quote]"

That could be a solution they should at least try to make something work for split screen.
  • So far, it won't happen at launch. It is a shame, but I also understand how the game needs to hit performance standards.

Did you ever play games in the 90s like Mario Kart via split screen? The resolution went down, the frame rate dropped and depending on player numbers you'd get black bars on the screen too, all to keep the game performance going.

All these years later, yep, it's still an issue. Hopefully, down the line it'll happen 😊

Let's just hope if it's not at launch it dosen't take months to months.
  • But in battlefront 1 for ps4, the at at assault, it can play with two players.
  • But in battlefront 1 for ps4, the at at assault, it can play with two players.

Hopefully they’ll add it soon, as in October kind of soon. I’m okay with waiting an extra month for something I’ve waited over a year for.
  • We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want split-screen in instant action no matter the cost

Putting it into perspective, Lucas Arts and Pandemic's [proper] Battlefront games had both single player and split screen. As far as I remember there was minimal disruption to the gameplay performance. Yes, the frame rate got a little slower when you died but that's about it. It was easy to have a friend or two around and then waste hours of our lives shooting Wookies and making baddies fly by shooting them with vehicles.

EA's Battlefront 2 does offer a good single player online game but it lacks the sofa friendly gaming that the original ones had.
  • bfloo
    15817 posts Member
    Hayabusa wrote: »
    We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want split-screen in instant action no matter the cost

Putting it into perspective, Lucas Arts and Pandemic's [proper] Battlefront games had both single player and split screen. As far as I remember there was minimal disruption to the gameplay performance. Yes, the frame rate got a little slower when you died but that's about it. It was easy to have a friend or two around and then waste hours of our lives shooting Wookies and making baddies fly by shooting them with vehicles.

EA's Battlefront 2 does offer a good single player online game but it lacks the sofa friendly gaming that the original ones had.

When the og's were made, mp gaming was still mostly people sitting on a sofa.

Online, especially for console, was just starting.
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want split-screen in instant action no matter the cost

They’ve chosen looks over substance for some time now, why would they deviate from the norm?
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Unfortunately, I have a feeling like we will be stuck with whatever split screen we get at launch. I was also extremely excited when they announced split screen, only to be equally as disappointed when I learned what a limited scope it was going to be implemented on.
  • Most of the “offline” community is made of people who want split screen.
  • I totally agree with all of you. Please Dice, add split-screen to instant action. The bots are really good. I am impressed with how the bots work. However, I was disappointed at the fact that I don't have the ability to play with a guest at my house, which I was hoping this mode would be. The bots are not perfect but could be better. Please, add split-screen to the instant action and fix the issue of only having one enemy every time. When I first played instant action, I felt like I was playing against real players, however, I was wondering why was General Grievous, Count Dooku, or Darth Maul was not spawning but only Bossk was spawning. I put the difficulty on normal by the way. Dice, add split-screen and add the option to choose what type of enemy AI the player would go against. For example, I choose light-saber only, so only Darth Maul, Count Dooku, and General Grevious would spawn and fight against you. Also, as the people said in this thread, we don't care about performance, we care about split-screen. On the contrary, consoles are meant for this type of performance. That is what consoles are meant for, I mean, let's be real. I am not saying the desktops can not run it, but consoles are built for it. The fact that they are making the excuse the consoles can not run a two-player AI match, it is a bunch of nonsense. If Battlefront II was able to handle it, so can this game, which is a more improved version of the last game obviously. Thank you for reading.
  • To be fair here: it is a technical hurdle for sure.

Anybody who has already worked on a game or with a game-engine will most likely know that. While the initial setup might be quite easy, optimizing it and keeping it at a proper performance level is quite hard. Issues here are keeping the frames up while still trying to please console players as well as PC players with he stats given when the game launched. For a AAA-shooter, publishing something that works but only runs on 10fps is not that acceptable, as you can imagine :D Especially with the 4k-ish textures and graphic settings overall present in this game, it is not comparable to former game titles from more than 10 years ago.

I would love to see split screen return or online versus between you and a player. But tbh, I understand that it takes time and is not there at launch. IMO the should first optimize IA, since there are still issues with it and then start to add Splitscreen to it. And tbh once again, they are surely already looking into it
  • They have the dumbest AI ever, where are they actually wasting resources?
  • They have the dumbest AI ever, where are they actually wasting resources?

Don’t agree. They are actually not too far from natural. Just because they’re not spam moving like pro online players doesn’t mean it’s dumb. If anything I can actually play against him in there my level yet it’s not as bad as arcade. They are actually not too far from natural. Just cause they’re not spam moving like pro online players doesn’t mean it’s dumb. If anything I can actually play against them and they’re my level yet it’s not as bad as Arcade.
  • F8RGE wrote: »

As for split screen, it's a huge technical hurdle. We're melting hardware already and factor in you have to tender the game twice on the same screen it adds to the melty-ness.

But is it being discusses by the team or is already off the table ?
  • Please consider adding online Instant Action for coop and vs private matches !
    With vehicules and starfighters, finally on each era and planets. (all maps)

The PVE Coop game mode seems to be based on or inspired by Turning point from battlefront 2015. I would like instant action to work the same way. (progressing through the field, more density of AI on less capture points)

May The Force Be With You, Always.
  • Please consider adding online Instant Action for coop and vs private matches !
    With vehicules and starfighters, finally on each era and planets. (all maps)

The PVE Coop game mode seems to be based on or inspired by Turning point from battlefront 2015. I would like instant action to work the same way. (progressing through the field, more density of AI on less capture points)

May The Force Be With You, Always.

This
  • bfloo
    15817 posts Member
    F8RGE wrote: »
    They have the dumbest AI ever, where are they actually wasting resources?

This is a joke right?

As for split screen, it's a huge technical hurdle. We're melting hardware already and factor in you have to tender the game twice on the same screen it adds to the melty-ness.

The ai is pretty bad for the mode, they come at you 1 at a time. Friendly ai just skips around doing God knows what.

h846398gb27k.png

• F8RGE
    885 posts EA Community Manager

But is it being discusses by the team or is already off the table ?

It's been discussed yes.
    It's been discussed yes.
    Awesome, that is all i ask :wink: .

• This. My wife loves to play as Chewy splitscreen in Arcade. Been looking for more Splitscreen offerings. I hope DICE doesn't give up on couch coop.
  • bfloo wrote: »

This is a joke right?

The ai is pretty bad for the mode, they come at you 1 at a time. Friendly ai just skips around doing God knows what.

2 o 3 droids (including enforcers and regular classes) ganged on me yesterday, so at least the enemy AI seems to group. I agree with the friendly AI though... There was a match where at some point there were 4 conquest points claimed by the opposition and only 1 for us (which was the one I captured)... Every time I play as the republic, the friendly AI seems to wander around doing nothing and losing all conquest points.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • I hate to say it, but I think split screen is a very low priority. I don't even own two PS4 controllers!

Old school consoles are fun for multiplayer on the same console, as is the Wii, but I think splitting a screen on such a modern game with online capabilities isn't really something that a lot of us need.

Please also stop bashing the developers. It becomes extremely tiring and childish.
  • The ai are actually great. Hero ai needs more variety and just need the other reinforcements. They didnt come at me one at a time. They were all over was fulfilling.

This is a joke right?

Don't listen to him please. Keep working on IA and the content. Everything has been great
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

Rule 39: Never say no to Bacta

When you have been playing since launch Cool kid 8)

I want to make a squad of 4 Commandos and then scream "FORM UP DELTA SQUAD"

We need Delta Squad Commando skins.
  • Isn’t split screen when you play on two separate TVs or am I thinking something else...

But whatever it is, it, probably sounds like old technology to me. Like N64 kinds of old
  • RyanK388 wrote: »
    Isn’t split screen when you play on two separate TVs or am I thinking something else...

But whatever it is, it, probably sounds like old technology to me. Like N64 kinds of old

No split screen is when 1 TVs screen is cut in half between two players.
    ezkfs3399nkr.jpg

Rule 39: Never say no to Bacta

When you have been playing since launch Cool kid 8)

I want to make a squad of 4 Commandos and then scream "FORM UP DELTA SQUAD"

We need Delta Squad Commando skins.
  • RyanK388 wrote: »
    Isn’t split screen when you play on two separate TVs or am I thinking something else...

Boi. How do people not know split screen.

• Imagine 4 players local split screen.
    gl8nhaspzwt2.jpg
    9wexqoicrpnu.png
  • bfloo
    15817 posts Member
    TheScape wrote: »
    bfloo wrote: »

This is a joke right?

2 o 3 droids (including enforcers and regular classes) ganged on me yesterday, so at least the enemy AI seems to group. I agree with the friendly AI though... There was a match where at some point there were 4 conquest points claimed by the opposition and only 1 for us (which was the one I captured)... Every time I play as the republic, the friendly AI seems to wander around doing nothing and losing all conquest points.

It could be an issue with the clones specifically, I was playing as the droids.

h846398gb27k.png

• Online splitscreen for all modes supported this thread !
  • Starmasui73146
    1393 posts Member
    edited October 8
    This just repeats over and over and over and over again thread after thread after thread after thread.
    Hello, Sarlacc Here.
    -I wonder when split screen will come for Instant Action.

Personally, I want that a lot because my little brother loves to play Battlefront 2 with me.

What do you think?

-Sarlacc

We desperately need it.
    Yes. Gotta play with all my friends who dont have X-Boxs or Battlefront.
    Excellent point.
    Yes. Gotta play with all my friends who dont have xboxes or battlefront.

Yep, couch play is king!
    Word.
    Another something that should have been added a while ago tbh
    Yes if it is possible with out frying my hard drive, lol. 😂
    Very true
    SWymsa wrote: »
    Split screen would be great, Instant action and chill needs to be a thing.
    Aaaaaah good times.

DXlolman wrote: »
    Also adding OT and ST please...
    thank you...
    Yep.
    This would be my most desired addition to the game.
    But of course, it's where all my core memories of the classic SWBF games are rooted, good old couch split screen. There has got to be a way.
    Yeeees. ;)
    Amen sarlacc overlord.
    For those who want Split Screen F8RGE is asking for sugestion in this reddit post :
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/d8ov7q/so_we_need_a_good_list_of_modifiers_to_show/
    Cool, now if only I knew an expert who is a wiz with this kind of problem solving.
    Oh yes, that's a good post.
    Piscettios wrote: »
    Half my memories of playing the OG Battlefronts involve couch play with a friend. It got people I know that otherwise never cared for video games but liked Star Wars, to run out and pick up a PS2 so they could play at home.

Instant Action without a split screen option is plain silly.
    Truth. But still very greatful.
    10/10 Need Splitscreen. This is basically the only way I can get my wife to play with me. She loves to be Chebacca in arcade. Let her do it in IA! Also, unlock all heroes in IA.
    Lol, totally hear you there.
    We can only hope--i mean they managed to pull it off in Battlefront 2015
    True.
    It wont be split screen right away which sucks, but any word on when they would add split screen to instant action?
    This.
    I hope soon.
    1514668586380.gif
    I agree. More couch play availability.
    giphy.gif
    Instant Action needs split screen and full customizable settings and all the star cards need to be unlocked for Offline access.
    6npauvs8f0cp.jpg
    1_matthays wrote: »
    Split screen is the only reason I wanted instant action:)) please add. It would make a huge difference
    Yes, it will bring long lasting wonderful memories.
    Yes this would be much appreciated.
    Agreed.
    Cam51200 wrote: »
    Instant Action is a cool thing to have for sure, but i don’t know if it’s just me, but most of my memories of it involve me sitting next to a friend just goin to town in Star Wars. That’s something that’s just been sorely lacking with this. "Arcade" split screen was also alright, but if that was in "Instant Action", it would really enhance couch co op and playability for this game mode
    So true.
    The ability for me to hook up another controller, and have someone play with me as a “guest” on the same console is very appealing.
    This, so this. 🤗
    slarlac249 wrote: »
    It's long overdue and is a must for players who play with family.
    ky5jq3atgbbh.png
    What a big update, congratulations !
    Looking foward to Instant action (Hoping for a split screen option in the future).
    😎👍🏼
    Split screen added to Instant Action is the biggest thing I would like to see added to the game. I'll gladly join you in this fight. Local mp (split screen) is the best way to play this (and any) game. The map playlist would be cool as well. IA would be awesome in split screen. I hope IA gets split screen in October.
    Word.
    Thought this might be a good idea, Why not add a feature to instant action where you can have a buddy grab a controller and jump in with you and play it split screen mode coop against the AI.

Let me know in the comments if you think this is a good idea.
    Preach it brother. 😇
    It would be fun to play with my brothers. It would get them back into the game. It would bring in more players if you allowed splitscreen.
    Exactly. Good times man, good times.
    GenxDarchi wrote: »
    I agree.
    Could we get Instant Action split screen?
    This is a trend.
    JediFlight wrote: »
    #Split-ScreenPlayersMatter
    #Split-ScreenPlayersMatter
    Rinku wrote: »
    IA hasn’t been out for long, but it already has turned into one of my favorites. It actually makes you feel like as if your playing an online match. I was incredibly disappointed when i realized there was no split screen gameplay. Any words on this?

DICE's F8RGE's response August 23rd, 2019:
    Considered it yes. Technically it's nothing short of a nightmare to achieve, as it comes with some serious technical barriers that need to be broken through.
    DICE's FORGE's 3rd response on Split Screen was similar on September 26th, 2019:
    gl8nhaspzwt2.jpg

Aaaaaaaand this 2nd response on September 25th, 2019, which brings some closure:
    We know you want split-screen, but the point remains - it's a massive technical hurdle to overcome.

Thanks for taking the time to post out of your busy schedule F8RGE. If you were to succeed in bringing us Split Screen for "Instant Action" this would be my friends and I's response.
    i6kyuhp9h1vf.gif
    Thanks again for "instant Action" and "Co-Op" having a good time. 👍🏼
    Vihollinen wrote: »
    I don't know how much larger of a fan base we would be talking, but I would enjoy it. I just worry about a system or network facing the extra strain put on it by essentially running a second game at the same time
    Thanks for responding, is true the game is pushing the console to its limits as it is, so we all understand if it results impossible after a numerous tests.

Instant Action runs in single player 50/40fps in xbox one (the weakest console ).

I think that is posible to achieve 20/30fps (aceptable) if the game downgrades to 720p and lower its graphics to minimum when playing at splitscreen in Instant Action.

But anyway, I have to give thanks to all the Dice Team, Instant Action is awesome.
    Yes, definitely.
    Thanks for the reply—we understand. We will be patient :)
    It’s probably got something to do with the Frostbite engine
    Hmmmmm it's likely the heavy graphics having to be doubled.
    Any way, for my friends and I Split Screen Offline "Instant Action" and Online "Co-Op" is very important. But work it all out. No need to stress over it. 👍🏼
    Post edited by Starmasui73146 on
    “There is always hope.”
  • ELIMELECH0401
    1390 posts Member
    edited October 9
    @F8RGE Would toning down the graphics or AI numbers or logic or frame rate while the game runs in split screen help? I would be fine if the graphics looked like the OG battlefronts. The hero combat in this game is superb. I know polygon count, particle effects, different rendering options and styles, draw distance and resolution affect performance. I have seen others say AI does as well. Some posters say vertical is less intensive than horizontal split screen. The devs might have already tried this; however, I question if all the complaining about bad graphics in other games have made the devs reluctant to tone down graphics. IMO, split screen is FAR more important than graphics.

Post edited by ELIMELECH0401 on
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • slarlac249
    187 posts Member
    edited October 10
    is there any news on IA getting split screen yet?

Let us not forget the 2015 had split screen in Skirmish modes in SP.
    creator of the All-In-One Modular @ Nexusmods
    "for a less annoying immersive experience, dl it today!"
  • Have the devs said what exactly the technical hurdles are?
    I am the same user as Elimelech401, that account was not tied to the game. I am hoping for more Skirmish with split screen and hero AI.
  • Does anyone know if Microsoft and Sony share benefits of Xbox Live and PS Plus with developers (EA in this case)?, it'd be silly to try to force us to play online when what many of us want to pay for is content rather than connectivity permission. I understand many people want to play online (even myself could have wanted if experience were better), but it's hard to believe people don't want to gather with their cousins and friends and make some local tournaments on Friday night, not sure if I already belong to an outdated generation.
  • Instant action without split screen= pointless

Mode was poorly done as is. Super boring racing around capping and re-capping what you just capped. Bad teammate AI doesn’t help PTO, at all.
    Knights of Gareth
    XBL- JsOnMyFett 13
  • Starmasui73146
    1393 posts Member
    edited October 11
    We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want Split-Screen in "Instant Action" no matter the cost.
    They’ve chosen looks over substance for some time now, why would they deviate from the norm?
    Do you understand what Piscettios is saying darkshadow? He basically is saying because they wanted the game to look photo realistic they caused a lot of memory to be used. Thus over taxing the system. Thus making it very hard to add in things like large groups of Offline A.I. and the ability to render Split Screen for us.
    Super boring racing around capping and re-capping what you just capped. Bad teammate AI doesn’t help PTO, at all.

The best fix is telling the A.I. that "Instant Action" is different in strategy then "Co-Op. You see "Co-Op' is Turning Point and "Instant Action" is sorta like Conquest (except with slightly different rules). "Co-Op" advances forward, "Instant Action" does not. "Co-Op" finishes with one CP, "Instant Action" does not. The A.I. is playing it like they are in "Co-Op". Thus the strategy does not work well as an A.I. team mate.

Strategies for "Co-Op":
    1.) Only 1 Command Post (out of all of them) needs to be taken.
    2.) Once a Command Post is captured you never need to return to it, you advance.
    3.) Progressing forward ends a phase.
    4.) The deciding factor is if you capture the final Command Post.
    5.) There is only one Command Post to take at the end finale.

Strategies for "Instant Action":
    1.) As many Command Posts as possible needs to be taken.
    2.) Just because you captured a Command Post doesn't mean the enemy can't take it back.
    3.) Progression is constantly changing.
    4.) The deciding factor is the one who holds the most Command Posts to make the % count faster.
    5.) There are five Command Posts to dominate.

Soooooooo as you can see they are waaaaaaaaay different, if the A.I. is playing like it is similar to "Co-Op" in "Instant Action" then no wonder you don't feel helped like you should.
    “There is always hope.”

1. thermal throttling
    2. FPS
    3. lag
    4. playercount as a cause of this
    5. keeping the initial hardware requirements the same
  • We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want Split-Screen in "Instant Action" no matter the cost.
    Do you understand what Piscettios is saying darkshadow? He basically is saying because they wanted the game to look photo realistic they caused a lot of memory to be used. Thus over taxing the system. Thus making it very hard to add in things like large groups of Offline A.I. and the ability to render Split Screen for us.
    Super boring racing around capping and re-capping what you just capped. Bad teammate AI doesn’t help PTO, at all.

The best fix is telling the A.I. that "Instant Action" is different in strategy then "Co-Op. You see "Co-Op' is Turning Point and "Instant Action" is sorta like Conquest (except with slightly different rules). "Co-Op" advances forward, "Instant Action" does not. "Co-Op" finishes with one CP, "Instant Action" does not. The A.I. is playing it like they are in "Co-Op". Thus the strategy does not work well as an A.I. team mate.

That would explain why the enemy AI defends CP while also trying to attack the other ones and the friendly AI seems to not contribute at all.
    May your heart be your guiding key.
  • Starmasui73146
    1393 posts Member
    edited October 11
    TheScape wrote: »
    We have to let Dice known that we don't care about performance , we want Split-Screen in "Instant Action" no matter the cost.

That would explain why the enemy AI defends CP while also trying to attack the other ones and the friendly AI seems to not contribute at all.

Bingo. Well mind you that was my theory, but it is NOT correct. I ran a barrage of tests a little while ago to test my theory...It did not pan out. When I tested the A.I. with the heroes off (observation only, no participation) they did great. They did however still require my contribution though at a few points though.

It seems the real issue then is the Villain preventing the A.I. from reaching their intended CP targets.

Back on topic: Dang I hope they figure out how to give us Split Screen.
    “There is always hope.”

1. thermal throttling
    2. FPS
    3. lag
    4. playercount as a cause of this
    5. keeping the initial hardware requirements the same

How could they control these and do split screen? I am thinking the stuff that is taxing the resources might not be that important to those who want split screen. I also think the split screen audience is different than the single player one so the two options do not need parity.

For me, the magic of IA would be being able to play in split screen co-op against all the AI heroes, vehicles, reinforcements, and troops. I don't care what it looks like, how smart the AI is or how many there are. I wonder if turning off all the abilities (except maybe one for saber users to use at range) would fix this. If it would, I think it would be a good trade off.
  • I wonder if turning off all the abilities (except maybe one for saber users to use at range) would fix this. If it would, I think it would be a good trade off.

Aaaaaaaaah yuck no. I want A.I. Boosk to use all his abilities. Like I said
    (1.) Zip file it
    (2.) shut off all un-necessary running files while I.A. runs.
    (3.) Get rid of non-participating combat, i.e. - the background sequences

This hopefully will permit more A.I... Again I'm no expert here though.
    “There is always hope.”
  • I wonder if turning off all the abilities (except maybe one for saber users to use at range) would fix this. If it would, I think it would be a good trade off.

Aaaaaaaaah yuck no. I want A.I. Boosk to use all his abilities. Like I said
    (1.) Zip file it
    (2.) shut off all un-necessary running files while I.A. runs.
    (3.) Get rid of non-participating combat, i.e. - the background sequences

This hopefully will permit more A.I... Again I'm no expert here though.

It would be cool if that fixed the issue.