criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Community Transmission
December CC

Leave triple xp on or just give noobs all purple cards

Prev1
All these new players coming into the game facing a mountain of progression and unbalanced matchmaking is making games very bad .
Most of us who have been here from the beginning don't care about new players having to face the grind.
We just want.balanced lobbies and new content and a game without lag like Apex.

Replies

• I care about the grind....
    Heroes are born on the battlefront... especially if you play the objective.
    kui7ctmgyzll.png
  • It's so much easier to level up now though, even if you dont take into account double xp every week
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    Cards don’t matter that much. Leave the grind.

Yeah, they do, and the grind to get decent weapons
  • Noobs dying to my lightsaber gives the the grind lol.
  • Skip the grind, one does not simply do
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • All these new players coming into the game facing a mountain of progression and unbalanced matchmaking is making games very bad .
    Most of us who have been here from the beginning don't care about new players having to face the grind.

Are you a new player?
  • All these new players coming into the game facing a mountain of progression and unbalanced matchmaking is making games very bad .

Are you a new player?

No sir
  • Then why do you care about noobs?
  • Then why do you care about noobs?

What about the droid attack on the wookies noobs ?
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • CC_1010
    2703 posts Member
    CC_1010 wrote: »

No. I agree with weapons. But Co-op is a thing
  • Cards are one thing, but leveling up weapons still requires kill count, and that's not affected by XP.

I am, however, gaining tons of kills in co op, and getting a whole lot better at the game in general from that mode. My GA and CS results are far better than they used to be. Honestly, what was so frustrating about being a ne wplayer online was being cannon fodder for more experienced players, and gaining NO cards or weapons because it was so hard to improve when you're gunned down within .5 seconds in every confrontation.
  • When 3XP gets turned out permanently, that's when we'll know this game is dead. They did the same thing for BF15 when it was finished, so leaving increased XP on would be a bad sign.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • When 3XP gets turned out permanently, that's when we'll know this game is dead. They did the same thing for BF15 when it was finished, so leaving increased XP on would be a bad sign.
    Yeah that’s a scary thought lol.
  • Pretty sure they'll have plenty of 2XP and 3XP events for the next year. It's their "go to" for carrying out the live service.
  • That’d be good to encourage them to keep playing.

Might be better to unlock all weapons for them and have them earn the cards. Every base weapon besides the officer class is garbage.
  • CC_1010 wrote: »

No cards don't matter much. New weapons and their attachments do however
    Hi
  • Why have any progression if you want everything unlocked for you at the start?
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • I think they should either get rid of the tiers of cards locked behind a level or reorder them.

Some heroes have their best cards locked behind level 20. Phasma damage reduction. Lando and Finn extended range for aimbot. Palpatine is not real effective without decreased stamina drain. Etc. Etc.

And what's the issue, exactly?
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players ...

XBOX Gamer Tag: Vagabond Astron
  • There used to be a time when not every game was part-RPG and you didn't have to grind XP or gain levels for every little thing under the sun, you just grabbed a gun and went out and killed people. Pepperidge Farm remembers.
  • Why have any progression if you want everything unlocked for you at the start?

This game would have been much better without all the grinding, so players could just focus on experimenting with all the various weapons, mods and cards, to find the loadout that works best for their play style. As it is, in my opinion, the player is forced to waste several weeks / months being cannon fodder for all the players with the best weapons, mods and cards, as they struggle to upgrade their gear. It's just not fun, and risks turning away new players before they give the game a chance. And I wouldn't blame them.

The best games I've ever played (such as Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith; Rainbow Six: Ravenshield; Mechwarrior 4), the multiplayer mode granted players access to everything, so the game became about fun of weighing the pros and cons of all your choices, to find a loadout that worked best for your play style, and what you were trying to accomplish.

Here's a classic example of one of those tradeoffs: in Mechwarrior 4, I had a Daishi chassis that I stripped down to the minimum armor so I would have the room to load it out with six Ultra LBX10 autocannons. Normally, there's no way you could fit that many LBX 10's on that chassis, but I gave up most of my armor to do it. So, I had a Daishi that packed way more of a punch that most people would expect, but the tradeoff was that I could take very few shots. However, I found a way to make it work by chain-linking the guns (i.e., they didn't fire as an alpha strike - they fired one after the other.) Using trial and error, I figured out the precise interval to fire them so that by the time I fired the sixth gun, the first had just finished reloading and was ready to fire again. And each shot from one of those guns that hit another mech gave it so much knock-back that they couldn't aim at me before I hit them with my next shot. So, I could chain-fire these guns at somebody, knocking their aim all over the place as I took my time blowing them apart, one shot at a time. It was so much fun. The journey I took to come upon this very unique mech design is why I have a special place in my heart for Mechwarrior 4, and it was design decisions just like this that kept me coming back to play it again and again.

The point of my story is this: would that same mech design be impossible to do if I had to grind before I unlocked every little thing that was part of my experimentation that lead to that design? No, of course not. But, I may never have gotten to that point because the investment of time to unlock all the parts I needed to experiment with just wasn't worth the investment. I'd have given up on the game long before then.

Many of us are adults, with day jobs, and very limited free time. The time we do have, we don't want to waste on stupid grinding, because some developer got the mistaken idea that grinding is fun. It's not. Maybe some of you like it, and that's ok (to each their own), but I don't like it for an online FPS game. I think some sort of experience-leveling mechanism makes sense for a singleplayer RPG. But, absolutely not for a multiplayer FPS game.

Kill the grind, and just let the people play - that's my motto.

• I think they should either get rid of the tiers of cards locked behind a level or reorder them.

Some heroes have their best cards locked behind level 20. Phasma damage reduction. Lando and Finn extended range for aimbot. Palpatine is not real effective without decreased stamina drain. Etc. Etc.

Thats the point of playing them and leveling up. You are rewarded
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

1gwwbvgwxm1r.gif

This game would have been much better without all the grinding, so players could just focus on experimenting with all the various weapons, mods and cards, to find the loadout that works best for their play style.

The grind is what keeps people playing. Getting everything handed to you straight away kills any motivation to play the game on a regular basis and takes away any sort of challenge. You play for the sense of "pride and accomplishment™" at finally unlocking something after putting in the work to get it.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
  • "Why should we care for noobs ?"

The question goes both ways. It's not because I took 350 hours of my time for some soulless grind that others should do the same. I won't feel more proud, nor sleep and breathe better.

That's misplaced ego. Like Kylo and Rey's skins being exclusives.

This game would have been much better without all the grinding, so players could just focus on experimenting with all the various weapons, mods and cards, to find the loadout that works best for their play style.

The grind is what keeps people playing. Getting everything handed to you straight away kills any motivation to play the game on a regular basis and takes away any sort of challenge. You play for the sense of "pride and accomplishment™" at finally unlocking something after putting in the work to get it.

Or people buy this game for $7 on sale.. see that they are at a huge disadvantage with basic guns w/ no attachments/lacking cards and never come back.
  • SnakeMajin
    502 posts Member
    edited October 16
    Meerkat wrote: »
    Why have any progression if you want everything unlocked for you at the start?

Or people buy this game for $7 on sale.. see that they are at a huge disadvantage with basic guns w/ no attachments/lacking cards and never come back.

And there was nothing to unlock or grind in OG Battlefront 2 games.

I've stopped counting how much time I played it. Having the possibility to play a Star Wars Stormtrooper in a battlefield is or should be a good enough reason.

Grinding is only here to bring frustration. Frustration is only here to make us pay skins.
  • Meerkat wrote: »

Bingo man

This game would have been much better without all the grinding, so players could just focus on experimenting with all the various weapons, mods and cards, to find the loadout that works best for their play style. As it is, in my opinion, the player is forced to waste several weeks / months being cannon fodder for all the players with the best weapons, mods and cards, as they struggle to upgrade their gear. It's just not fun, and risks turning away new players before they give the game a chance. And I wouldn't blame them.

The best games I've ever played (such as Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith; Rainbow Six: Ravenshield; Mechwarrior 4), the multiplayer mode granted players access to everything, so the game became about fun of weighing the pros and cons of all your choices, to find a loadout that worked best for your play style, and what you were trying to accomplish.

Here's a classic example of one of those tradeoffs: in Mechwarrior 4, I had a Daishi chassis that I stripped down to the minimum armor so I would have the room to load it out with six Ultra LBX10 autocannons. Normally, there's no way you could fit that many LBX 10's on that chassis, but I gave up most of my armor to do it. So, I had a Daishi that packed way more of a punch that most people would expect, but the tradeoff was that I could take very few shots. However, I found a way to make it work by chain-linking the guns (i.e., they didn't fire as an alpha strike - they fired one after the other.) Using trial and error, I figured out the precise interval to fire them so that by the time I fired the sixth gun, the first had just finished reloading and was ready to fire again. And each shot from one of those guns that hit another mech gave it so much knock-back that they couldn't aim at me before I hit them with my next shot. So, I could chain-fire these guns at somebody, knocking their aim all over the place as I took my time blowing them apart, one shot at a time. It was so much fun. The journey I took to come upon this very unique mech design is why I have a special place in my heart for Mechwarrior 4, and it was design decisions just like this that kept me coming back to play it again and again.

The point of my story is this: would that same mech design be impossible to do if I had to grind before I unlocked every little thing that was part of my experimentation that lead to that design? No, of course not. But, I may never have gotten to that point because the investment of time to unlock all the parts I needed to experiment with just wasn't worth the investment. I'd have given up on the game long before then.

Many of us are adults, with day jobs, and very limited free time. The time we do have, we don't want to waste on stupid grinding, because some developer got the mistaken idea that grinding is fun. It's not. Maybe some of you like it, and that's ok (to each their own), but I don't like it for an online FPS game. I think some sort of experience-leveling mechanism makes sense for a singleplayer RPG. But, absolutely not for a multiplayer FPS game.

Kill the grind, and just let the people play - that's my motto.

Yep , you're right

But that's the nature of video games; they can't all live forever. Everyone knows that games grow less popular with age, with fewer and fewer people playing them. Even if they unlocked everything for new players as soon as they start playing, that won't do anything to stop the game's inevitable decline. These kinds of multiplayer games are meant to be purchased at or shortly after release in order to get the most out of them, not 2 years later when they cost less than $10 and when everyone you face is a pro who's been at it for a lot longer. It's those early adopters, the people that were there from the start, that prop up a game like this for as long as possible, not new players who are very late to the party.
    My Concepts
  • I find the level of selfishness in this thread very disturbing.

First. A looter shooter BF2 is not. Remember the loot boxes they tried to add and the uproar that caused their removal? Tiered star cards are part of that system. They should have been removed as well.

Second. All the veterans that brag about pre-ordering, playing the beta, and playing since launch did not "grind" their purple star cards against an unbalanced playing field. At launch, nobody had purple cards and everybody had to upgrade so it was balanced. Somebody starting today has to play against a field of mostly purple star cards.

Third. My own copy of BF2 is digital and I mainly play SA. I want more players for SA so much that I went to Game Stop and purchased a used BF2 disc. I have given that disc to 3 friends and begged them to play SA with me (all three own BF2015 by the way). Everyone played for a couple of days then gave me the disc back. They liked the game but had the same reason for quitting: "Didn't want to grind for purple cards against players that already had them." I just want to point out it was not the grind per se, but the grind in an uneven playing field.

All my fighter, interceptor, and bomber cards have long since turned purple. I want more pilots so badly I don't care if you give them all purple cards. I don't need to inflate my ego by killing unbalanced beginners. I just want to play SA some more before the whole game dies.

I agree. We're many to have experienced this hazing :) but there's no glory to humiliate a rookie with better weapons and better tricks than him/her - experience is enough to win. I bought the game 10 months after launch and I found it unfair several times... but I admit that struggling to get decent weapons was part of the fun, and part of the commitment to the game (I have pride). Speeding up the 'grind' duration is a good idea because most of players have a high level now.
  • VagabondNomad
    38 posts Member
    edited October 16

I can't be more clear when I say I disagree with 100% of what you just said. To quote a wise man, "wrong X infinity."

• Jeff__Vader
    79 posts Member
    edited October 16

I caught your reference. Didn't go well on reddit (-667821) and appears unpopular here as well.

A good multiplayer game doesn't need a carrot to keep players interested. PvP is inherently very competitive with no two matches exactly alike. That is what should make it fun. It does need new content (maps, weapons, skins etc.) every so often to rally the troops but the unlocking of said content shouldn't be the main reason to play.

First. A looter shooter BF2 is not. Remember the loot boxes they tried to add and the uproar that caused their removal? Tiered star cards are part of that system. They should have been removed as well.

Second. All the veterans that brag about pre-ordering, playing the beta, and playing since launch did not "grind" their purple star cards against an unbalanced playing field. At launch, nobody had purple cards and everybody had to upgrade so it was balanced. Somebody starting today has to play against a field of mostly purple star cards.

Third. My own copy of BF2 is digital and I mainly play SA. I want more players for SA so much that I went to Game Stop and purchased a used BF2 disc. I have given that disc to 3 friends and begged them to play SA with me (all three own BF2015 by the way). Everyone played for a couple of days then gave me the disc back. They liked the game but had the same reason for quitting: "Didn't want to grind for purple cards against players that already had them." I just want to point out it was not the grind per se, but the grind in an uneven playing field.

All my fighter, interceptor, and bomber cards have long since turned purple. I want more pilots so badly I don't care if you give them all purple cards. I don't need to inflate my ego by killing unbalanced beginners. I just want to play SA some more before the whole game dies.

I tried the mode after I saw this. It was brutal. I got 1 level with double xp. They should add S.A. co-op. At least bots won't be destroying me with level 200 purple ships.
  • Keep the grind.
    #JoinTheBuzz
    8fqc6br4b0gm.jpeg
    Never forget
  • Unwarycoin wrote: »
    Keep the grind.

Well, I'm convinced.
  • EA_Rtas
    1730 posts EA Moderator
    If you want to disagree with someone that's fine, but keep it civil and leave out this "fan lackey" stuff, it's not appropriate, it's rude and it's really dismissive of another persons opinion.

Well said
  • Indeed especially true for SA! Difficult to enjoy the game when your fighter is systematically destroyed by a 'purple' player in less than a second. Cards are too important in this mode, and balance should be improved too... if there are enough players in this mode.
    I'm not new to BF2 but SA is really hard if you've never played or if you've stopped playing a while. When a skilled purple player begins to shoot, you rarely have the time to realize and try to escape .
  • To summarize the arguments against keeping the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall:
    • It creates an unlevel playing field (maxed out players vs. cannon fodder)
    • The unlevel playing field turns away players who would otherwise join the community (many are unwilling or unable to invest the time to unlock the items needed to level the playing field)
    • When players leave the community (or refuse to join), it gets smaller, and it becomes even more difficult to find a game
    • The difficulty finding a game, causes more people to leave the community (results in a negative feedback loop that exacerbates the difficulty of finding a game)
    • It's just not fun (for a significantly large segment of potential players)

Therefore, using these arguments, one can make a solid case that the decision to lock the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall is impeding the addition of new players to the Star Wars Battlefront 2 community, as well as accelerating the abandonment of existing players from the community. Each of us can decide for ourselves whether we believe that's a desirable outcome.

• Co-op mode helps for troopers and the heroes included. However, once again it is a mode that is era locked to Clone Wars.

Also no starfighter assault.
  • JackSpanky
    225 posts Member
    edited October 17
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    If you want to disagree with someone that's fine, but keep it civil and leave out this "fan lackey" stuff, it's not appropriate, it's rude and it's really dismissive of another persons opinion.

It also happens to strike at the heart of the matter, but I expected little else from an EA moderator on this subject. Clearly no conflict of interest at work here.

I would've happily rewritten the post if you yourself had done what a community leader should do and led by example with a firm-but-courteous request to keep it civil and sent me the text in a PM or something, but since I don't save or memorize my own posts like some kind of weirdo, your complete obliteration of my content feels pretty inappropriate, rude and dismissive of my opinion.
  • meshugene89
    3752 posts Member
    edited October 17
    JackSpanky wrote: »
    EA_Rtas wrote: »

It also happens to strike at the heart of the matter, but I expected little else from an EA moderator on this subject. Clearly no conflict of interest at work here.

I would've happily rewritten the post if you yourself had done what a community leader should do and led by example with a firm-but-courteous request to keep it civil and sent me the text in a PM or something, but since I don't save or memorize my own posts like some kind of weirdo, your complete obliteration of my content feels pretty inappropriate, rude and dismissive of my opinion.
    Going after a mod, bad idea.
    EA_Tom wrote: »
    Keep in mind that discussing moderation is against our rules.
    giphy.gif
    My Concepts
  • To summarize the arguments against keeping the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall:
    • The unlevel playing field turns away players who would otherwise join the community (many are unwilling or unable to invest the time to unlock the items needed to level the playing field)
    • When players leave the community (or refuse to join), it gets smaller, and it becomes even more difficult to find a game
    • The difficulty finding a game, causes more people to leave the community (results in a negative feedback loop that exacerbates the difficulty of finding a game)

Therefore, using these arguments, one can make a solid case that the decision to lock the best weapons, mods and cards behind a grind-wall is impeding the addition of new players to the Star Wars Battlefront 2 community, as well as accelerating the abandonment of existing players from the community. Each of us can decide for ourselves whether we believe that's a desirable outcome.

This game is 2 years old. THAT is what impedes the addition of new players, not everything you listed. Even at the cheap price it's apparently at now, people just aren't willing to play 2 year old shooter games. Unlocking everything doesn't change the very simple fact that people will inevitably gravitate away from this game. Only the most the dedicated die-hards who were there from Day 1 are likely to be the ones still playing or who come back to play this game with each new update, but even some of them will play for a few days then drop out again and the casuals will do the same.
    This is just how these games are. Unless you're a MTX machine like Fortnite, then you're inevitably going to face a decline and that can't be stopped.
    My Concepts

But that's the nature of video games; they can't all live forever. Everyone knows that games grow less popular with age, with fewer and fewer people playing them. Even if they unlocked everything for new players as soon as they start playing, that won't do anything to stop the game's inevitable decline. These kinds of multiplayer games are meant to be purchased at or shortly after release in order to get the most out of them, not 2 years later when they cost less than $10 and when everyone you face is a pro who's been at it for a lot longer. It's those early adopters, the people that were there from the start, that prop up a game like this for as long as possible, not new players who are very late to the party.

Don't know about you but I enjoy having roadmaps and receiving additional support for this 2 year old game. I want to encourage as many people to play as possible. I'm not saying a Rainbow Six Seige type of resurgence is going to be a thing for this title but keeping up these barriers to entry does it no favors. If I was a new player interested in HvV, I certainly would not feel like grinding out and getting my ***** whooped over and over with no xp modifier in a 2 year old game.

There are plenty of people that avoided this title from all the bad press and are willing to give it a shot now that the dust has settled and it's cheaper.

There is literally no downside to leaving 3x XP on or unlocking all star cards for people. It gives new players a better experience and increases the chance they will stay. Unless you truly believe that the early adopters will be upset about this and leave in droves. There is no harm in doing this. I don't agree with this mentality of "You should've been here at launch, so good luck to you!" Or "It's gonna die eventually so why bother".

This game is 2 years old. THAT is what impedes the addition of new players, not everything you listed. Even at the cheap price it's apparently at now, people just aren't willing to play 2 year old shooter games. Unlocking everything doesn't change the very simple fact that people will inevitably gravitate away from this game. Only the most the dedicated die-hards who were there from Day 1 are likely to be the ones still playing or who come back to play this game with each new update, but even some of them will play for a few days then drop out again and the casuals will do the same.
    This is just how these games are. Unless you're a MTX machine like Fortnite, then you're inevitably going to face a decline and that can't be stopped.

Yeah, you're wrong.

The greater factor that discourages people from joining the community is because the playing field is grotesquely unlevel for new players. People tend to want to play a fair game, where the victor is the one with the better strategy, skill and knowledge. People do not tend to want to play an unfair game where they have to use the weakest items, and are there simply as cannon fodder for the perverse pleasure of being blown to bits by players with the best items.

That is not fun for the majority of new players, and there's no amount of spin that will persuade most reasonable people that it is.