criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Yoda: 3 dodges, and more?

Scion_of_Yggdrasil
711 posts Member
edited December 2019
As is, Yoda is too slow and weak to make a big enough impact in HvV. But most Yoda buff discussions end with nobody wanting him too OP in GA/CS. How about... some small small small buffs here and there?

3 dodges
. If he can’t do a lot of dmg, he should at least be able to avoid it. Then he can stand a better chance in close combat. As a form IV master, he should be extra agile anyhow.

Why not intoduce a new type of dodge? Maybe Yoda can do a flippy jump instead of the slide. Since he does such little dmg, maybe his dodge can inflict small dmg? Like a less deadly mini dash. It’s all about slow dps adding up. It can be blocked of course, so you would have to strategically dodge behind your enemy, not guaranteeing anything so you have to earn it. Really just because of form IV.

Lightsaber strikes. The other complaint is his swings being too slow (I agree), but people oppose making them faster (can almost agree). How about making a few hits in his combo hit twice? That would be unique, and his first hit is a plain swipe, so his second or later hits (when he flips) could hit twice. That would be fair, forcing Yoda to attack at least twice (which can be a risk) before getting the extra strike in.

Dash attack... speaking of. It was nerfed really hard. Plenty of ideas floating around, meeting in the middle would be fair? Unblocked does the damage it used to (150?) blocked can do the nerfed amount (80???). I would petition blocked takes at least 100 dmg though. If there isn’t a dmg increase, maybe decrease recharge time then? But that might make him too evasive. Or just have it always do 100 dmg, blocked or not.

Opposing the dark side star card... maybe it can do 11, 14, 17, 20 bonus damage. And it would increase dmg for both troopers and villains. Orrrrr leave it at its current scale, but allow it to increase aaaaall dmg done to villains. So his push, and dash, would do the increased dmg if the card is equipped.

Presence. Let’s buff a card? Size matters not can include a cool down increase scale, similar to Agility star card. Grey-purple, 13 sec increase, 11, 9, 7

Any combination of these would give Yoda a gentle nudge, since he is such a lover, not a fighter, after these last nerfs.

Replies

• Just give him more base saber attack damage to compensate for his slow attack speed. This will help him in HvV and have zero effect on GA.
  • Just give him more base saber attack damage to compensate for his slow attack speed. This will help him in HvV and have zero effect on GA.

There really isn’t a reason he should hit with any less dmg output than any other saber. Aside form GG, I feel he should obviously be a powerhouse.
  • ROMG4
    4605 posts Member
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    ROMG4 wrote: »
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken

Better go speak to han, dooku, rey..... do you like droids? Better go speak to infiltrator droids too. Clones? Them too. I’ll wait...
  • ROMG4
    4605 posts Member
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken

Better go speak to han, dooku, rey..... do you like droids? Better go speak to infiltrator droids too. Clones? Them too. I’ll wait...

What I really need is another who understands the thumbling nature of Gooberness
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    A OOM-9 Thread!

Episode 9's Ending
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken

What I really need is another who understands the thumbling nature of Gooberness

Oh come on, good sir. A sassy rebuttal isn’t gooberish enough for you? The Mandallorian is amazing btw. Finally finished it last night.

Perhaps I need to start using more emojis.... lol
  • Always yes to HvV yoda buffs. I would like to Main yoda for a while but atm he is just not good.
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    Always yes to HvV yoda buffs. I would like to Main yoda for a while but atm he is just not good.

As a level 275.... I can concur he takes too much work in HVV. Almost no amount of work can help him sometimes.
  • 0j5xcdhr7abd.jpegis that you?
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    Always yes to HvV yoda buffs. I would like to Main yoda for a while but atm he is just not good.

As a level 275.... I can concur he takes too much work in HVV. Almost no amount of work can help him sometimes.

• Yoda is close to being good again. He just needs a little help.

1. Revert Dash Attack nerf to 130 damage. Alternatively, partially revert the nerf to 100 damage, but increase the collision mesh slightly. Yoda depends on this ability a lot, and he needs to it to actually be a threat again.

2. Fix Presence. Simple enough.

3. Speed up Unleash animation speed. Yoda can take 200+ damage from one trooper while doing that animation - speeding it up a little would be welcome.

4. Increases Opposing the Dark Side damage time +30. Rather than increasing his swing speed, which would likely look awkward and make shooting him annoying, give Yoda more punch against villains.

That’s about it. Would be great with those changes. His Star Cards also need work, but that’s the case for most of the heroes. I’m also too lazy to talk about that right now.
    Confidence born of ignorance
  • Yoda doesn’t need three dashes, but his current ones would be improved.

Forgot to add that.

1. Revert Dash Attack nerf to 130 damage. Alternatively, partially revert the nerf to 100 damage, but increase the collision mesh slightly. Yoda depends on this ability a lot, and he needs to it to actually be a threat again.

3. Speed up Unleash animation speed. Yoda can take 200+ damage from one trooper while doing that animation - speeding it up a little would be welcome.

4. Increases Opposing the Dark Side damage time +30. Rather than increasing his swing speed, which would likely look awkward and make shooting him annoying, give Yoda more punch against villains.

That’s about it. Would be great with those changes. His Star Cards also need work, but that’s the case for most of the heroes. I’m also too lazy to talk about that right now.

This
  • Raices
    1570 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    Tbh all push abilities need to deal significant dmg against villains, Luke's and Yoda's deal way too little dmg. Luke's needs to deal 150, Yoda's minimun unleash dmg needs to be around 150 also, Obi's All out push needs to deal 200dmg to villains when fully charged.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    0j5xcdhr7abd.jpegis that you?
    sjytiw4hu9j9.jpeg

Nah, this is me:
    up0n2c39axjo.jpeg
    yyrm61w1ssql.jpeg
  • Raices wrote: »
    Tbh all push abilities need to deal significant dmg against villains, Luke's and Yoda's deal way too little dmg. Luke's needs to deal 150, Yoda's minimun unleash dmg needs to be around 150 also, Obi's All out push needs to deal 200dmg to villains when fully charged.
    Pushes doing damage makes sense, pulls do not
  • Yoda doesn’t need three dashes, but his current ones would be improved.

Forgot to add that.

I’m not saying to make his dash attack default 3, that’s why he has a card. But his standard dodge/evade maybe? I’d honestly be quite happy if he stayed as is but had another dodge. Ideally he needs some gentle buffs all around to make him balanced/effective again.
  • They should buff Rey, maybe obi wan first

This is good.
    Yoda is close to being good again. He just needs a little help.

This
    Yoda is close to being good again. He just needs a little help.

This is good.

Glad you guys agree :D
  • Other idea for unleash. Since the biggest complaint is how effective it is on troopers, instead of increasing its dmg, increase its default minimum push range, allowing it to grow larger while absorbing blaster fire. It’s laughable how small it’s base range is.
  • Can you or other people upload some good yoda gameplay? I seem to struggle with yoda the most in random HvV and do ok in private 4vs4.
    Can you or other people upload some good yoda gameplay? I seem to struggle with yoda the most in random HvV and do ok in private 4vs4.

Hm... I don’t post anything on YouTube, but post my favorite moments on my twitter?

I’d say the most important part is learning your sweet spot/distance. Get comfortable with how far you dash/dodge, and don’t get too close. If you do, dash/dodge out, don’t get greedy and think you can land another hit, unless you know it’s the last one to finish it. You want to stay juuuuust out of range of their lunge.

Second most important part. Don’t let up. Lol. The second you let them start to attack they have the advantage. You want them to keep their block up. Some of my fastest eliminations are ones where I just dodge and dash around someone who doesn’t attack me. If done right you can stay behind them the entire time. On the flip side, a spammer is best dealt with the same way. Stay out of range and constantly dodge or dash behind them. If you keep the right distance, you will get a successful push off.

Hop attacks! Very important to not hop at them though. Hop to their side so you can swing your lightsaber at their side. Otherwise you run into them and can get staggered.

Lightsaber strike followed by a dash attack is a good base combo, as well as the reverse. If you dash behind, strike their back.

Also, learn how to hop right after a dash or dodge. It gets you some extra distance to avoid lunges when done right, and allows you to follow up with a hop attack right after. Seen when I come after maul after healing:

Once you know they’ve used the majority of their force abilities, get jumpy. It’s hard to track Yoda when he’s above you or dropping down behind you

Speaking of... stay moving. Same in HvV and trooper modes. Get a tempo going, or try to match your opponents. If you keep a consistent beat it’s easier to plan 1-2 moves ahead, or change what you do in a split second. But be weary of others learning your mojo, cuz they can predict your combos. Like if you have a habit of doging left before a dash? They’ll be able to dodge at the right moment, or punish you with a lunge. So keep it fresh!

Personally, I prioritize where I want Yoda first. Before I even try to attack I imagine the best spot for me to be to do so, then get there. It’s a constant calculation game lol, that’s why I’m so dodgy and jumpy in that twitter video. Especially when you can’t afford to take any more hits.

Also, utilize the environment. Yoda is best suited to do so. You’ll notice I jumped on those crates to fight Vader. It’s easier to use your dash attack without getting stuck running into them if you dash from above. Either that, or dash to the area right next to them. Otherwise you’ll get stuck and end up right in front of them.
  • @CC_1010 heres a better example of hop attacks and the sweet spot, you can see dooku swinging behind me and such.

Can you or other people upload some good yoda gameplay? I seem to struggle with yoda the most in random HvV and do ok in private 4vs4.

Hm... I don’t post anything on YouTube, but post my favorite moments on my twitter?

I’d say the most important part is learning your sweet spot/distance. Get comfortable with how far you dash/dodge, and don’t get too close. If you do, dash/dodge out, don’t get greedy and think you can land another hit, unless you know it’s the last one to finish it. You want to stay juuuuust out of range of their lunge.

Second most important part. Don’t let up. Lol. The second you let them start to attack they have the advantage. You want them to keep their block up. Some of my fastest eliminations are ones where I just dodge and dash around someone who doesn’t attack me. If done right you can stay behind them the entire time. On the flip side, a spammer is best dealt with the same way. Stay out of range and constantly dodge or dash behind them. If you keep the right distance, you will get a successful push off.

Hop attacks! Very important to not hop at them though. Hop to their side so you can swing your lightsaber at their side. Otherwise you run into them and can get staggered.

Lightsaber strike followed by a dash attack is a good base combo, as well as the reverse. If you dash behind, strike their back.

Also, learn how to hop right after a dash or dodge. It gets you some extra distance to avoid lunges when done right, and allows you to follow up with a hop attack right after. Seen when I come after maul after healing:

Once you know they’ve used the majority of their force abilities, get jumpy. It’s hard to track Yoda when he’s above you or dropping down behind you

Speaking of... stay moving. Same in HvV and trooper modes. Get a tempo going, or try to match your opponents. If you keep a consistent beat it’s easier to plan 1-2 moves ahead, or change what you do in a split second. But be weary of others learning your mojo, cuz they can predict your combos. Like if you have a habit of doging left before a dash? They’ll be able to dodge at the right moment, or punish you with a lunge. So keep it fresh!

Personally, I prioritize where I want Yoda first. Before I even try to attack I imagine the best spot for me to be to do so, then get there. It’s a constant calculation game lol, that’s why I’m so dodgy and jumpy in that twitter video. Especially when you can’t afford to take any more hits.

Also, utilize the environment. Yoda is best suited to do so. You’ll notice I jumped on those crates to fight Vader. It’s easier to use your dash attack without getting stuck running into them if you dash from above. Either that, or dash to the area right next to them. Otherwise you’ll get stuck and end up right in front of them.

Thank you man! I really appreciate it!
  • ROMG4
    4605 posts Member
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken

Oh come on, good sir. A sassy rebuttal isn’t gooberish enough for you? The Mandallorian is amazing btw. Finally finished it last night.

@bfloo This Scion Droid has a faulty transmitter!
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

A OOM-9 Thread!

Episode 9's Ending
  • @CC_1010 heres a better example of hop attacks and the sweet spot, you can see dooku swinging behind me and such.

Very much impressed by your use of the environment!
    @CC_1010 heres a better example of hop attacks and the sweet spot, you can see dooku swinging behind me and such.

Which cards should I use?
  • bfloo
    16975 posts Member
    B631kWW.gif

I have spoken

@bfloo This Scion Droid has a faulty transmitter!

Oh boy.

Wait til he sees an OOM-9 disertation
    The Knights of Gareth are Eternal

Pirate of the Knights of Gareth

h846398gb27k.png

• Other idea for unleash. Since the biggest complaint is how effective it is on troopers, instead of increasing its dmg, increase its default minimum push range, allowing it to grow larger while absorbing blaster fire. It’s laughable how small it’s base range is.

That's what the Unleashed card is for, but I never see anyone using it. How does the range on that move work? Sometimes it'll be the regular size, other times it's like 1 meter large. Anyone else have this and can anyone explain it?
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    711 posts Member
    edited December 2019
    @CC_1010 heres a better example of hop attacks and the sweet spot, you can see dooku swinging behind me and such.

Which cards should I use?

Depends on your style, but I always have 3 dashes equipped. Now that it does less dmg you need the extra dash to add up to anything that lasts.

If you struggle close quarters, equip the base range increase for unleash. Unleash grows faster card is useless in HvV unless there is an emperor player, then it makes it easier to punish everyone on the other team with his lightning. Blasters... I think it’s best to just close the distance and dodge/dash them to death. Especially Idens, you need to always stay behind her, otherwise her secondary fire will eat you alive. So I don’t use the gross faster card for counter blasters.

Oppose the dark, the 16 extra dmg can add up when you’re in the flow of things, but I leave it behind if I’m not doing so hot lol, or if my team needs a double heal card set up. In my opinion, his heal needs both heal cards if it’s going to pack a punch. Which is how I play in trooper modes: double heal set up. Buuuuut on CS ship phases i sometimes equip double push: base range increase and grows larger faster.

I don’t equip heal cards anymore in HvV though, the nerf made it pretty much pointless, only saving peeps from maybe 1-2 extra lightsaber swings, but in vain when they group up on you. It’s better to be deadly Yoda than Healthy Yoda.

MOST IMPORTANT GUARDIAN RULE! Always push first. If both abilities are ready, push those baddies away firsttttttttt. Push takes a while anyhow, so you need to get that ball rolling ASAP. Then heal, which will slow you down even more. Chances are if you heal first, the ally in distress will die before you can get a push out. The delay between activation, registration, and them actually flying away is brutal. Luke players are better for quick saves. Yoda is better for punishing.

That’s of course just my opinion though. Would love to hear my other Yoda mains.
    Post edited by Scion_of_Yggdrasil on

That's what the Unleashed card is for, but I never see anyone using it. How does the range on that move work? Sometimes it'll be the regular size, other times it's like 1 meter large. Anyone else have this and can anyone explain it?

I’m actually confused about this as well. The card increases the base minimum range. It’s helpful especially when you’re trying to keep your distance in HvV. But I haven’t noticed if it increases his maximum charged range??? It’s too difficult to see. Anyone?

I know kenobis does, but his card specifically says it increases the maximum as well...
  • I've seen Yoda mains do some work in HVV. That being said, he's not a very forgiving hero to play.
    Yoda's mobility seems a bit underwhelming. I would like to see his dodges sped up, same with his dash. I think his swing speed is okay. If they increase his swing speed, I think they should nerf his damage a bit to offset the dps increase. The reasoning is that swing speed can get out of hand balance wise, for blaster characters in particular.
    Canon wise, Yoda's not a powerhouse versus sith. He fought Dooku to a draw, and Sidious to a draw, but against clones he smashed. It's kinda the same now. He's great in GA, but struggles to finish in HVV.
    Elect MikeDog5k To Forum Moderator 2020
    5zxc2738asy2.png
  • MikeDog5k wrote: »
    I've seen Yoda mains do some work in HVV. That being said, he's not a very forgiving hero to play.
    Yoda's mobility seems a bit underwhelming. I would like to see his dodges sped up, same with his dash. I think his swing speed is okay. If they increase his swing speed, I think they should nerf his damage a bit to offset the dps increase. The reasoning is that swing speed can get out of hand balance wise, for blaster characters in particular.
    Canon wise, Yoda's not a powerhouse versus sith. He fought Dooku to a draw, and Sidious to a draw, but against clones he smashed. It's kinda the same now. He's great in GA, but struggles to finish in HVV.

Good points, I would definitely be okay with a speed boost to dodges. Dashes feel painfully slow.

As far as canon evidence goes: I would argue it was cunning strategies, not skill, that led to draws. Dooku was terrified during his fight with Yoda, so was sidious. It’s why dooku decided to endanger Kenobi/Skywalker, cuz he knew he wouldn’t make it out of that fight alive. The energy burst that sent Yoda flying was more dumb luck, it even sent Sidious across the room right?

That right there would be plausible reason to allow Yoda and sidious to have a special interaction in battle. If Yoda absorbs enough lightning, it will blow up when he releases it, knocking everyone down lol