criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Does the game 'reward' button bashers? Seems to be a case of hack and slash with sabers, and they're

rewarded for doing it!

Was playing as Boba Fett yesterday, evaded LS, flew away, nope pulls me back in midair and just slashes away at me.

Such a joke.

Same for those commando droids too. WAY too overpowered!?!?

Replies

• Button mashing can be too rewarding, especially against blaster heroes. Lunging and tracking do most of the work, so there’s no reason to not button mash a blaster.

The parry exploit works well against button mashing, but if/when that’s fixed, sabers will also struggle to beat a masher without losing HP.

As for Commandoes; they’re fine. I wouldn’t be against seeing the blade have a longer cooldown, then buff their blaster bloom a bit, but it’s not necessary.
    Confidence born of ignorance
  • CT_93921 wrote: »
    Boba is the most mobile character in the game and can run away easier than even palpatine, and if pulls like anakin’s didn’t exist all the LS would have as a counter would be Finn’s deadeye or you’d just have to hope another blaster hero like Han can aim well.
    Yes saber spamming is bad, parry exists for now but even without it you don’t have to be a Jedi to imagine that once a slippery boba or palpatine gets caught every available saber user is going to mash to oblivion to make sure they don’t run away for the billionth time. That’s just how those two’s play style is they run and eventually they get caught that simple. This isn’t exactly Jedi academy here, it’s turned down for casual fighting.
    Their are counters and ways to punish spamming but salt posting about nerfs won’t help anything. Trust me we’ve all been there and it’s okay to be upset over a bad game we all have them.

Locking on flying Boba is ridiculous
  • CT_93921 wrote: »
    Boba is the most mobile character in the game and can run away easier than even palpatine, and if pulls like anakin’s didn’t exist all the LS would have as a counter would be Finn’s deadeye or you’d just have to hope another blaster hero like Han can aim well.
    Yes saber spamming is bad, parry exists for now but even without it you don’t have to be a Jedi to imagine that once a slippery boba or palpatine gets caught every available saber user is going to mash to oblivion to make sure they don’t run away for the billionth time. That’s just how those two’s play style is they run and eventually they get caught that simple. This isn’t exactly Jedi academy here, it’s turned down for casual fighting.
    Their are counters and ways to punish spamming but salt posting about nerfs won’t help anything. Trust me we’ve all been there and it’s okay to be upset over a bad game we all have them.

Locking on flying Boba is ridiculous

The lunging distance is quite annoying, I’m guessing that’s what you mean? Tracking wouldn’t be half as annoying if the range of said tracking was lowered and saber users wouldn’t automatically fly five feet to their target.
  • CC_1010
    3470 posts Member
    JohnColt78 wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Was playing as Boba Fett yesterday, evaded LS, flew away, nope pulls me back in midair and just slashes away at me.

Such a joke.

It is. Stamina needs a strong nerf across the board. Spammers are such a pain because especially if they play luke dooku and maul they can break your block. Dashing behind them also only works 50% of the time since the tracking turns them around. Other wise: a block spamming Vador(who is waiting for his womb combo) or obi wan can also be a pain(Vador more though since he is more dangerous.
  • Just get rid of/nerf saber tracking and it will be fine.
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

It is. Stamina needs a strong nerf across the board. Spammers are such a pain because especially if they play luke dooku and maul they can break your block. Dashing behind them also only works 50% of the time since the tracking turns them around. Other wise: a block spamming Vador(who is waiting for his womb combo) or obi wan can also be a pain(Vador more though since he is more dangerous.

You want to nerf stamina? I’ve heard it all now, if you are are going full turtle against a full spammer one of you is bound to run out first and be an easy target. Getting caught in a corner and being teamed up on I get but if you are trying to eat all their hits and aren’t dodging regularly to reposition or to regain stamina you are basically handing them control over the duel where they act and you react.
  • OcDoc
    2155 posts Member
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

“Such a joke”... what do you want to happen next? A conversation and then maybe a choke hold followed by a game of paper rock scissors?

Seriously, what else should happen?

In regards to the title, I personally don’t have a lot of trouble with saber spamming. I am fully aware that going head on against 2 opponents will deplete my stamina and end up in my death. So I avoid that situation as much as possible and engage opponents in ways that make the matchups more favorable. If someone saber spams me (1v1) it will very very likely end up in their death and I don’t even use the little parry glitch thing. There are various ways to counter depending on which character you are.

If I do get caught in an undermanned situation, it is my responsibility to find a way out of that situation. Standing there blocking will end up in death and honestly it should be that way.
  • Many like the current state of button mashing and magnetic sabers. I don't.
  • CC_1010
    3470 posts Member
    CT_93921 wrote: »
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

You want to nerf stamina? I’ve heard it all now, if you are are going full turtle against a full spammer one of you is bound to run out first and be an easy target. Getting caught in a corner and being teamed up on I get but if you are trying to eat all their hits and aren’t dodging regularly to reposition or to regain stamina you are basically handing them control over the duel where they act and you react.

So that spammers can’t spam. Attack and block spammers.
  • OcDoc wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

“Such a joke”... what do you want to happen next? A conversation and then maybe a choke hold followed by a game of paper rock scissors?

How about balanced combat???
  • CC_1010 wrote: »
    CT_93921 wrote: »
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

So that spammers can’t spam. Attack and block spammers.

People will always go with the easiest strategy to get wins, if it’s not spamming it’ll be something else. Unfortunately what isn’t nearly as popular as spamming or calling for nerfs is learning how to play each character and their counters.
  • OcDoc
    2155 posts Member
    OcDoc wrote: »
    rewarded for doing it!

Such a joke.

How about balanced combat???

Pretty general. A little more specific?
  • Crazy Idea... remove lunging from the regular attack string? So that if you are spamming when someone runs or evades, even if you have true aim, you will be stuck attacking in place: allow me to explain....

As is, you run and attack and that triggers your lunge. If you continue to attack after the lunge the regular attack string begins. If the target were to run/evade during this attack string, you would automatically track/lunge, and all you had to do was press the attack button again.

If tracking/lunging was unavailableduring the regular attack string, players would be forced to take a chill pill, re-aim and pause, maybe even start another sprint before hitting the trigger, in order to trigger a lunge attack.

This would improve close combat and "nerf" lunging/tracking, since as long as you are not currently in an attack string, your lunge will trigger like normal (i.e. attacking after you dodge, block, or use an ability). If you are spamming and stuck doing extra attacks, you would be a sitting duck, only able to aim a direction when attacking, without closing the distance (outside of the regular step forward during an attack).

Pausing long enough to retrigger the first attack in the attack string would allow a lunge. This should greatly improve the efficacy of blaster rolls (i.e. you could be hit by the lunge, but if they spam, your roll will save you as they will be stuck attacking in place), while still giving ample opportunity for a saber to be rewarded with well timed strikes.
  • Yes, it does, spamming swing benefits the one doing it multiple ways.

Can allow you to ignore abilities

Let's you track people without even using movement controls (WASD and Left analog stick)

I was just swinging at him here and I was going after him like a lock on missile

Allows people to track you through rolls and dodges

Overall spamming swing in this game is essentially a manual version of Kylo's Frenzy
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • You can (as another lightsaber user) counter spammers. When the enemy saber hits, while blocking, attack right after and you take no damage but get a full swing in. Some blaster hero might need a buff from spammers but Boba and the Emperor are not among them.
  • kind of - mashing r2 does work on blaster heroes in HvV to some degree - but it is a pretty weak strategy in HvV and terrible in GA

Also it really doesn't work well playing against saber heroes unless they are horrible - when I face button mashers as a saber they barely hit me and go down fast - as a blaster I will usually win 1v1 as well against a masher

Such a joke.

You can't just fly away, you have to evade/dodge out of the attacks before you can fly or else you will be in saber lock

• MC_XIX
    2404 posts Member
    Ok, first of all, commando droids are not OP. They are nicely balanced and have a uniquely fun design. Their vibro swords are powerful, but only if you don't know how to dodge. Just roll twice and you'll likely dodge all 3 strikes, and then the commando is vulnerable because its blaster is fairly weak in terms of damage output.

That aside, yes, the game has many features and mechanics which are present to cater to bad and/or inexperienced players. It's rather frustrating that button mashing is often more of a viable and rewarding tactic than using actual strategy. Dodging isn't reliable enough, and the button mashers are granted effortless kills because of the high tracking sabers have. There are times when I'm playing as Palps or Maul, and I dash well away from an enemy, only for them to move at light speed in my direction from 20ft away, just by mashing the attack button. Tracking needs toning down so it doesn't follow enemies that use dash abilities, and it needs a maximum lock on distance reduction.
  • Mate it seems that you are salty that you got killed. Commando droids are the most balanced reinforcement and take a fair amount of skill. This may be your issue.

And “button mashing” is just people out playing you with tactic.

So just move on
  • Loujjw13 wrote: »
    Mate it seems that you are salty that you got killed. Commando droids are the most balanced reinforcement and take a fair amount of skill. This may be your issue.

And “button mashing” is just people out playing you with tactic.

So just move on

Button mashing is 'tactic'? Time for you to move on me thinks!?