criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

What’s with the curse ban?

Reddit can say **** and **** all the time and that place is filled with much younger people.

But on these forums the users are much older and yet we are treated like kids that can’t swear in public.

Replies

• IIPrest0nII
    5280 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    It’s simple. Reddit is not official forums and EA doesn’t manage them. It’s absolutely volunteered community. They have their own rules.

SWBF Forums are official and can be read by people of different ages. So admins should be sure that people won’t swear on the forums and we as mods should monitor and prevent swearing. Not all people like to see when someone is swearing. It’s not constructive and not civil.

Also, your topic moved to off top.
    Star Wars Battlefront Community Forums Moderator
  • that's just how the cock crows, OP
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • To put it simply, swearing isn't permitted in the rules and that's why they're not allowed on the forum.

Simple as that.
  • IIPrest0nII
    @EA_Rtas

That's very simple :p
  • I got a better question.

What is the need for the mods to remove swear words if the profanity filter exists? For e.g. If a swear word is used, a mod might remove it and write [removed]. So we all know what was there originally, which is just the four asterisks. Therefore the uncertainty of what swear word was used is still there to be pondered and it's seemingly a totally useless action to perform by removing the asterisks and replacing them with something that, in essence, means the exact same thing.

Basically, why not just leave the asterisks unless the mod is going to change the entire sentence?
  • I got a better question.

What is the need for the mods to remove swear words if the profanity filter exists? For e.g. If a swear word is used, a mod might remove it and write [removed]. So we all know what was there originally, which is just the four asterisks. Therefore the uncertainty of what swear word was used is still there to be pondered and it's seemingly a totally useless action to perform by removing the asterisks and replacing them with something that, in essence, means the exact same thing.

Basically, why not just leave the asterisks unless the mod is going to change the entire sentence?

I don't care much either way. Just curious of the thinking behind why mods do that.
  • IIPrest0nII
    Do we really do that?
  • Mastahpeece
    2379 posts Member
    edited January 21
    Edit: did not expect that to get through 😳
  • Do we really do that?

Yeah you did it to me yesterday. I didn't even know what I wrote was part of what the profanity filter captured haha I wrote I was **** (assuming you can see that) about the backlash the game got and you removed it and wrote [removed]. I was curious why it wasn't just left as the asterisks instead.
  • Question:
    If I write a banned word, the mods see it? Or you see the ******?
  • SQJACKIE wrote: »
    Question:
    If I write a banned word, the mods see it? Or you see the ******?

I think they see it. Also I figured out that if you post the link of a thread to discord you can see the curse words on the description uncensored
  • I tend to remove most of the swearing I see here regardless of if the filter has picked it up as if the post is quoted people can usually still see the profanity when typing out their post.

Considering we have younger users here I remove pretty much any profanity I find.
  • EA_Rtas wrote: »
    I tend to remove most of the swearing I see here regardless of if the filter has picked it up as if the post is quoted people can usually still see the profanity when typing out their post.

Considering we have younger users here I remove pretty much any profanity I find.

I would also like to ask that when you ban people why don't you tell them why or how long?
    Baby Yoda is the absolute greatest character Disney has created.

Baby Yoda is love, Baby Yoda is life.

OOM-9 For Battlefront 2

• IIPrest0nII
    edited January 28
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    I tend to remove most of the swearing I see here regardless of if the filter has picked it up as if the post is quoted people can usually still see the profanity when typing out their post.

I would also like to ask that when you ban people why don't you tell them why or how long?

We always do that. We tell them a reason(s) and suspension time. After, they should get an email notification about it.

Not sure why you think we don't do that.
  • Alright everyone, considering the main question here has been answered I'm closing this off.

If you have further questions or wish for clarification on something you're welcome to DM me.
This discussion has been closed.