criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Restrictive Mind Trick should disable lightsaber blocking.

Prev1
Since the light side is going to be seeing some nerfs soon and had previously received nerfs from the Restrictive Mind Trick nerf, I believe that Obi Wan’s RMT should be able to disable blocking for the duration. The ability currently doesn’t even work half of the time, as I notice enemies using abilities while they’re under the effects of mind trick. Even if the ability works, it’s not that great. Furthermore, dark side saber users such as Vader and Grievous are already strong, so this would be a good way to not only counterbalance their strength, but also help Obi Wan and the light side a little after the last few patches have nerfed them.

Thoughts?

dt1kn6yqh2vy.gif

Replies

• Feelee6
    2406 posts Member
    3akr0yy1s4al.gif interesting
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Feelee16 wrote: »
    3akr0yy1s4al.gif interesting

fz7jd2vwixdq.gif
  • Feelee6
    2406 posts Member
    edited January 24
    I agree
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Sounds good to me.

Though, cut the active time by a couple seconds.
    Confidence born of ignorance
  • I think this sounds pretty balanced. I’d be up for it.
  • Good for HvV not for GA.
  • JMaster
    2543 posts Member
    I think it's something to consider. Dropping a block- even if for a few seconds- could easily bring Kenobi up to being one of the best saber heroes in the game (for HvV at least). It's a shame that Rey got such a great mind trick, since something like that would've been great for Kenobi, alas. Villains could still dodge with this, and it doesn't delete blaster heroes like Bossk or Iden. Why not?
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • Great idea, this is the ideal buff for the LS in HvV.

You could also change on of his star cards to something like Rey's opportunist:

Villains who's block is disabled take extra damage
    Janina Gavankar/Iden Versio Fan
    First Max Prestige Iden Versio
    hojevrxvarht.png
    PSN: Empire_TW. Twitter: Empire_TW. Youtube: Empire_TW.
  • Genin
    700 posts Member
    edited January 24
    I think it's really too OP. Imagine potentially the chance to stop the block to the entire opposite team... They would be slaughtered in seconds. Even with the nerf, Obi one is still a great character, with the best defence and health regen in the game (especially with the right star cards). It could be better with his running attack... Maybe making it stronger and that consumes enemies' stamina in blocked. Because the only tool obi needs to shine its something he could use to "press" little bit an opponent. For the rest, in the rights hands, he is really good!

But guys... Make opponents unable to block for seconds, to me, looks like 100% game breaker.
  • Empire_TW wrote: »
    Great idea, this is the ideal buff for the LS in HvV.

You could also change on of his star cards to something like Rey's opportunist:

Villains who's block is disabled take extra damage

Hmm that’s a great idea!
  • No Just No
  • Genin wrote: »
    I think it's really too OP. Imagine potentially the chance to stop the block to the entire opposite team... They would be slaughtered in seconds. Even with the nerf, Obi one is still a great character, with the best defence and health regen in the game (especially with the right star cards). It could be better with his running attack... Maybe making it stronger and that consumes enemies' stamina in blocked. Because the only tool obi needs to shine its something he could use to "press" little bit an opponent. For the rest, in the rights hands, he is really good!

But guys... Make opponents unable to block for seconds, to me, looks like 100% game breaker.

The no dodging and no abilities was fine, he just needed a longer cooldown on it.

I agree this sounds drastic, BUT it could also be a necessary evil now
  • No Just No

Why not?

What’s so wrong about forcing sabers to to rely on dashes? Blasters have to do it all the time. Surely sabers can survive it for 5 seconds.
    Confidence born of ignorance
  • NomiSunstrider
    3920 posts Member
    edited January 24
    Easily counterable, they can still dodge. And jump. I wouldnt mind it.
    It will actually be a buff to the blasters, since DS wont be able to block their shots. If this happens, the duration needs to be reduced.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• Easily counterable, they can still dodge. And jump. I wouldnt mind it...

Plus they would still be able to attack with their lightsaber.
  • NomiSunstrider
    3920 posts Member
    edited January 24
    I think this is how RMT should have worked in the first place. LS blasters would have received that needed buff, and also Obi wouldnt have been cancerous against the enemy blaster villains.
    ''The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel he understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if he had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the Dark Lord out of necessity to prevent a greater evil''
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• No Just No

There is no reason to be opposed to this idea
    Easily counterable, they can still dodge. And jump. I wouldnt mind it.
    It will actually be a buff to the blasters, since DS wont be able to block their shots. If this happens, the duration needs to be reduced.

All LS blasters become more viable if it did this. RMT disabling block needs to happen.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • CC_1010
    3728 posts Member
    Please do this. This would make it way easier to kill blocking vadors and grievances
  • Obi-Block needs something other than his dodge/block gameplay that's for sure.
  • I'd be all for this tbh. I would rather it disabled Dodge but if it's not going to do that then I think disable block is fair
  • I've been saying this over and over since the day of the nerf, so yes I agree

It would buff lightside in hero modes, but have little impact on GA/CS since it will only affect saber villains

Darkside sabers can dodge and/or attack for 5 seconds, not a big deal, just like Yoda and Maul used to play - but at least the ability will create a little window of mild weakness
  • Genin wrote: »

Vader can choke a whole team Kylo too with freeze, them not being able to block for a few seconds isn't much compared to that.
    hojevrxvarht.png
  • anidriX
    1784 posts Member
    I'd be up for it. Counterable, helps LS Blasters A LOT. Sounds good to me.
    JMaster wrote: »
    it's a shame that Rey got such a great mind trick, since something like that would've been great for Kenobi, alas.

Whoah whoah whoah.

What do you mean "Rey got such a great mind trick"?

• RogueZeroRendar
    2861 posts Member
    edited January 24
    I totally agree with this: Disabling Dodge was a lot more drastic then disabling block. Firstly because Blaster Heroes Dodge, but don't Block, so in this only Saber Users are affected. And then because dodging is much better at avoiding damage and staying alive then Blocking.

If they fix RMT's disabling ability perk, and make it disable blocks, I thinkRMT would be much better then it ever was. Not sure about its timer though, but that can be tweaked as tests are done.

I also think it should disable other abilities like Iden's secondary fire and Boba's Jetpack (probably only if he's landed as it would be too cheap to make Boba fall into the pit just by using RMT), but just getting blocks disabled is enough I guess.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tired of BUGs?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, they'll still exist.
    But visit the Rogue Bros Channel , there we document many BUGs and possible workarounds for them. There's also gameplay and other videos related to EA's Star Wars Battlefront (I & II)
  • No way lol If it takes blocking away and can't be blocked thats just a free kill and since dashing is limited to 2 on a minor recharge time it would be a bit too OP. I didn't have a problem when it stopped dashing. It was a good power. Check this out too if you guys get a chance lmk your thoughts
  • Get rid of his mind trick. Give him a duelist ability like Dooku.

• ROMG4
    5306 posts Member
    Landeaux2 wrote: »
    I think I should deny the other player's ability to fight back by pressing a button

tumblr_msh0hh2NJv1se9fcoo1_500.gif
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • MikeDog5k wrote: »
    Get rid of his mind trick. Give him a duelist ability like Dooku.

Doesnt even fit his character
  • awakespace
    1472 posts Member
    edited January 24
    No way lol If it takes blocking away and can't be blocked thats just a free kill and since dashing is limited to 2 on a minor recharge time it would be a bit too OP. I didn't have a problem when it stopped dashing. It was a good power.

It is not remotely a free kill, and I understand that you haven't played this game that much. You can still attack and dodge - thus the two primary offensive and defensive tactics in this game are not affected by this proposed mind trick. In a one on one it will only give a slight advantage for the 5-6 seconds, but if it is a 3/4 on 1, then yes it will disrupt a turtling saber user and could lead to a quick death.

• Kuvox
    131 posts Member
    No way lol If it takes blocking away and can't be blocked thats just a free kill and since dashing is limited to 2 on a minor recharge time it would be a bit too OP.

How long does Vader's choke last? Like 3 seconds with the upgrade? Make it that long and I think this suggested change would be more than fair.
    Palpatine hunter

Before DICE released him I though it would be cool if he had an ability called Soresu

It could make him block everything automatically, while he is attacking, running, jumping, etc. essentially being invulnerable to everything but explosives. The ability would last for approximately 5 seconds. A star card could add a second or two for each kill (would have to be play-tested to get right).

Sure it does. 91d1yzjd84ev.jpg
    Obi Wan dueled with Maul, Grievous, Dooku (twice), and Darth Vader (twice). He has more experience dueling with sith lords than any Jedi.
    He even has a cool dueling stance they could use for his ability animation.
    mya5wc132bto.png
    His duelist ability would differ from Dooku's though. Instead of a damage buff, he would utilize a defensive dueling style. There's many options , for instance his blocks could drain attackers stamina faster, or stagger opponents, or cause damage.
    This makes much more sense than mind tricking force users into forgetting how to block.

• Nah. RMT disabling block means it's an automatic case of no blocking, because... RMT can't be blocked in the first place. This is my problem with it and Rey's. Every other force ability can be blocked but not Mind tricks. Mind tricks in lore only work on the weak minded, not on other 'heroes'. So why should it be an automatic "y0V [email protected] bL0cK" "fR33 k1LLz"! This game is riddled with cheesy abilities and goofy stuns, why would you want to add another broken ability on top of an unblockable, automatically-affected ability?

Mind trick should be blockable and have it's effects back to what it was at launch for Obi-Wan. If it's not blockable, then leave it as it is or give it an ability that reduces the damage done by normal attacks by the affected player or prevent lock-on by a saber or no zoom for a blaster.
  • Nope.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    du2UASv.gif
    MikeDog5k wrote: »

Sure it does. 91d1yzjd84ev.jpg
    Obi Wan dueled with Maul, Grievous, Dooku (twice), and Darth Vader (twice). He has more experience dueling with sith lords than any Jedi.
    He even has a cool dueling stance they could use for his ability animation.
    mya5wc132bto.png
    His duelist ability would differ from Dooku's though. Instead of a damage buff, he would utilize a defensive dueling style. There's many options , for instance his blocks could drain attackers stamina faster, or stagger opponents, or cause damage.
    This makes much more sense than mind tricking force users into forgetting how to block.

ro4twh6pzwey.jpeg

I love Obiwan but I thought I’d juat share this for giggles. Perfect window
  • I'm baffled by the number of people that thinks it's a good idea. An actual good idea would be that enemies affected by restrictive mind trick have all their stamina costs vastly increased. It both plays into Obi Wan playstyle in game as it is fitting to the lore.
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • Zyder
    553 posts Member
    Absolutely not. It should be like launch, except the duration.
  • Yeah...8 seconds of no blocks... That's a great idea!
    That's a hard pass. If anything it should cancel out abilities in action. Let's say a Vader choke or GG's UA. If they are in the middle of animation... The mind trick should instantly stop it. That's about the only change needed for that ability
  • ROMG4 wrote: »
    I think I should deny the other player's ability to fight back by pressing a button

Easily counterable, they can still dodge. And jump. I wouldnt mind it...

Blocking and attacking are two different things
  • Nah. RMT disabling block means it's an automatic case of no blocking, because... RMT can't be blocked in the first place. This is my problem with it and Rey's. Every other force ability can be blocked but not Mind tricks. Mind tricks in lore only work on the weak minded, not on other 'heroes'. So why should it be an automatic "y0V [email protected] bL0cK" "fR33 k1LLz"! This game is riddled with cheesy abilities and goofy stuns, why would you want to add another broken ability on top of an unblockable, automatically-affected ability?

Mind trick should be blockable and have it's effects back to what it was at launch for Obi-Wan. If it's not blockable, then leave it as it is or give it an ability that reduces the damage done by normal attacks by the affected player or prevent lock-on by a saber or no zoom for a blaster.

Then you change it to where only Obi Wan’s mind trick can be blocked.
  • No Light Side is too strong they need to be nerfed and I hope Dice takes a look at Obi Wan next because he is a glaring problem. Especially when it comes to height and elevation. :)
  • No Light Side is too strong they need to be nerfed and I hope Dice takes a look at Obi Wan next because he is a glaring problem. Especially when it comes to height and elevation. :)

What? Vador and grievous are stringer then any LS Hero
  • KZ_Toxic wrote: »
    Yeah...8 seconds of no blocks... That's a great idea!
    That's a hard pass. If anything it should cancel out abilities in action. Let's say a Vader choke or GG's UA. If they are in the middle of animation... The mind trick should instantly stop it. That's about the only change needed for that ability

WHO is Talking about 8 seconds? 3 seconds without and 4.5 with card.
  • ROMG4
    5306 posts Member
    edited January 25
    ROMG4 wrote: »

So basically turn every Obi-Wan fight into a button mash contest only one where he can block and you can't?

giphy.gif

Adding more things to Obi-Wan's button click mind-trick is not going to balance the game, make it deeper, add strategy, instead all this will do is make combat more brainless and frustrating
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    A OOM-9 Thread!

Episode 9's Ending

So basically turn every Obi-Wan fight into a button mash contest only one where he can block and you can't?

giphy.gif

Adding more things to Obi-Wan's button click mind-trick is not going to balance the game, make it deeper, add strategy, instead all this will do is make combat more brainless and frustrating

Tell that the ds

giphy.gif

Make it deeper?

This game has passed that point a long time ago.
    9qkoakxcje0l.gif

• ROMG4
    5306 posts Member
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    Tell that the ds

So then fix the imbalances, don't add more. This solution is essentially looking at a raging fire and deciding to pour gasoline on it because "it'll make it burn out faster"
    Make it deeper?

tumblr_omzxcnC5jw1rnikqmo3_540.gifv
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS

A OOM-9 Thread!

Episode 9's Ending
    CC_1010 wrote: »
    Tell that the ds

So then fix the imbalances, don't add more. This solution is essentially looking at a raging fire and deciding to pour gasoline on it because "it'll make it burn out faster"
    Make it deeper?

tumblr_omzxcnC5jw1rnikqmo3_540.gifv
    Balance? Yeah. Apparently both sides need op things. We tried this often enough.