criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

With player count soaring, this is the perfect time to resurrect Extraction

Let's face it, their treatment of the extraction mode has been a mess. They threw it in to flesh out the pitifully sparse Solo update years ago, then they spent more than a year slowly and deliberately ignoring it. No new maps, nothing. They gave Ewok Hunt more attention than Extraction. Yet it was still a hugely popular game mode. My group played extraction almost exclusively for most of the last couple of years, and other than maybe a few instances we never had any kind of trouble finding a full Lobby. With GA spammed full of Heroes and CS taking an hour or more to finish a match, Extraction was the best that Battlefront had to offer for a long time.

Then, for no reason and at the request of exactly no one, they inexplicably begin muttering about Extraction not having many players, then quietly shoved it into a rotation with Strike , where it seems to have been almost forgotten. Except by the many, many players who love the mode and long for its return.

Point being: Now is the perfect time to bring extraction back from the brink of death.

With all the players streaming in after the games recent Improvement and a successful holiday season of sales, extraction could come back in a big way, and it could be an easy win for dice. The mode is already created, with two maps. They've already started some hype about adding CS and Co-op into new areas, putting all the eras and all the modes. All they have to do is follow that pattern.

Here's what I propose. Throw an Extraction map in alongside the February and March content. Make some sequel era Maps, if that month's content is sequel, or make them OT maps if that month's content is OT. Then, a while later but before the year wraps up, add some maps from the missing era, Clone Wars. Two per era would be great, more would be even better. If they're feeling ambitious, maybe they could toss in a new version of extraction, Hero Extraction, all on the same maps.

Replies

• Agree
    PSN: this_old_mouse
  • Totally agree!! People who keep saying that it wasn't popular and that Dice have moved on clearly never played Extraction and are probably hero 'mains'

• ROMG4
    4652 posts Member
    Gibbon Hask finish Project Extraction Resurrection!
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • JMaster
    2535 posts Member
    I concur.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.
  • I'd like this.
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • glawa2ku5k9r.gif
  • As much as I support
    MEMP2020🐣 and MSAMP2020🐣 I don’t see it happening. This game has made a major turn around but I don’t see them letting this game go any further than it has to in order to save face. I’m sure if content decisions aren’t outright limited it’s probably heavily filtered at this point as to what is and isn’t okay for them to do by corporate. Maybe the next reboot if not battlefront 3 will handle these concepts better.
  • Chico
    721 posts Member
    🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣🐣
  • Chico
    721 posts Member
    And 🐣🐣🐣🐣 for good measure.
  • Yeah, I'm not saying it's likely. I'm just saying it really would be the perfect time. There's not going to be a better time for it, at the very least. With all these new players, new people ready to see which parts of the game they like...? Open it up. Show them extraction. Even if it's just a couple sequel era maps tossed in at first.
  • BucksawBoushh
    6250 posts Member
    edited January 24
    If player numbers were booming we wouldn’t need BOTS in CS.

That being said, I want nothing more than new Extraction maps. Although the Reinforcement spam is pretty terrible at the moment.
  • If player numbers were booming we wouldn’t need BOTS in CS.

That being said, I want nothing more than new Extraction maps. Although the Reinforcement spam is pretty terrible at the moment.
    As I understand it, we have bots in CS because the servers are only able to handle a certain number of live players.

And yes, reinforcement spam is a sad reality in all modes that have reinforcements, really. They need to reduce the maximum number in just about every mode that has them.

But, with that said -- more Extraction maps! There's never going to be a better time for it.
  • “Player count soaring” lol not even close to true, if anything it’s going down because Christmas noobs are leaving the game already. Also DICE has no reason to put effort into a dead game mode.
  • What are the players numbers, pray tell, O ye of infinite knowledge? :lol:

And it's only a dead (ish) mode because they gave it only two maps and then ignored it completely. If that had happened to GA or CS or HvV, they'd be "dead" modes too.
  • I want extraction. Yes.

But where is everyone getting these magic numbers?
    41st.org Founder "Where the Game is Winnable."

are-you-threatening-me-gif.gif
  • tankertoad wrote: »
    I want extraction. Yes.

Um, because fOrgE sAiD sO!
  • Magic numbers?

The devs and several other people associated with the game have said several times in the last couple of months that the player base is as high as it's ever been, or higher.

All I'm saying is, if we take that at face value, then this should be the perfect time to add more Extraction maps.
  • Wow. Even when people here are agreeing with you, they get snitty and toxic. That's what I get for coming back.
  • tankertoad wrote: »
    I want extraction. Yes.

Um, because fOrgE sAiD sO!

I'm sure they were up in December, early January.

But get a 3rd party independent to analyze and publish numbers.

It put in a server browser

People buy a $7 game just to goof around, check it out. No one is going "omg, I never heard of BFII, look what were missing!" In mass.

I'm glad the game is doing a little better. I'm happy that some people are happy. But it seems like they're some fans that it is really important to them that this title be something that it's not. Like, why do you need false verification?

• JackTHorn wrote: »
    What are the players numbers, pray tell, O ye of infinite knowledge? :lol:

And it's only a dead (ish) mode because they gave it only two maps and then ignored it completely. If that had happened to GA or CS or HvV, they'd be "dead" modes too.

I could say the same thing, you don’t know the player number either. We could go back and forth all day but that would get us nowhere. It’s dead and DICE are unlikely to revisit it. All you have to do is take a look at their track record to see that. You’re also likely to get far more attention on Reddit and Twitter than the official forums.
  • JackTHorn wrote: »
    What are the players numbers, pray tell, O ye of infinite knowledge? :lol:

I could say the same thing, you don’t know the player number either. We could go back and forth all day but that would get us nowhere. It’s dead and DICE are unlikely to revisit it. All you have to do is take a look at their track record to see that. You’re also likely to get far more attention on Reddit and Twitter than the official forums.
    I just played an Extraction match about 30 minutes ago so it's not dead.
    Your journey nears its end.
    fg4b6t2kcplam2qmfrnt.gif
  • If they gave us hero extraction for a ltm, that would be amazing.
    Hech4Lyf!
    Or maybe cross-era special units ltm.
  • MEMP2020🐣
  • Batman20
    2716 posts Member
    edited January 26
    Won't happen dice are only focused on CS and Co op right now
    Or maybe cross-era special units ltm.
    Like a reinforcements HvV? That would be cool too.
    Hech4Lyf!
  • the DICE B-team: "this mode we threw in with two maps that was popular and then we forgot about it and then we used pointless menu shuffling as an excuse to bury it and then no one brought it up in surveys that people with nothing better to do fill out isn't popular enough for us to care about...deal with it"

same mentality they have for not porting old yet popular maps from BF2015: "it takes just as long as making new content (which is unbalanced and buggy)"
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • No. Will never happen
  • I'm pretty sure the next major thing on DICE's list is CS, Instant Action, and Co-op for OT era. Even if they drop Ahsoka and Ventress next month, it won't derail that. Now maybe after that they entertain Extraction, especially if they decide to tie it into Mandalorian. Mandalorian is content, like Solo, that is more suitable to Extraction. I could see them doing a Kessel sized map for Nevarro and one for a Republic Prison Ship to extract a prisoner. Also, drop in a couple more maps from Battlefront 2015.

But again, all that isn't likely to happen until Fall at best.
  • the DICE B-team: "this mode we threw in with two maps that was popular and then we forgot about it and then we used pointless menu shuffling as an excuse to bury it and then no one brought it up in surveys that people with nothing better to do fill out isn't popular enough for us to care about...deal with it"

same mentality they have for not porting old yet popular maps from BF2015: "it takes just as long as making new content (which is unbalanced and buggy)"

The "too hard to port" "new engine" is such bullocks. But it worked, as people bought into it.

• The more I think about it, Mandalorian Season 2 would be the perfect time to attempt a resurrection of Extraction. Again, Mandalorian is smaller scale like Solo. They could do:
    • New extraction map Navarro with both above ground and sewer levels with different access points to the sewers.
    • New extraction map Arvalla-7 to extract Baby Yoda with the mercenary compound and various canyon passes.
    • New extraction map Republic Prison Ship based on Episode 6
    • A Bespin extraction map from Battlefront 2015
    • new heroes Mandalorian and Moff Gideon.

If the mode catches on, then more maps could be added from Season 2.
  • Unpopular opinion- extraction is overrated. The maps are tiny, it gets boring fast and the reinforcement spam is out of control.

Just leave it and add a CTF mode. Let old things die.
  • AW_Cramer
    537 posts Member
    edited January 27
    Loujjw13 wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion- extraction is overrated. The maps are tiny, it gets boring fast and the reinforcement spam is out of control.

Just leave it and add a CTF mode. Let old things die.

Its only boring if you play each game the same way. I found Extraction to be the perfect game mode to try new tactics, try a different approach to flanking enemy units, trying new star cards etc etc. Its a very veratile game mode in that respect. Everytime I play Extraction the experience is different and that even changes depending on the group you're playing against! One time we were able to keep an entire team at bay on Kessel right outside the payload start area! Other times it came down to the wire getting the payload onto the Falcon! Its such an underrated game mode but because some people cant spam a sabre in it they ignore it. Playing Extraction on BF15 with heroes in it is the worst experience...
  • yes, it is a great mode for developing trooper tactics and unlike large modes feels more like you can have a personal impact on the mission

imo it has the best repeat value of any of the trooper modes, and is crying out for new maps
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • JMaster
    2535 posts Member
    Yes. Yes to this. Please.
    "I felt there was a large amount of human chauvinism... also I felt very bad that at the end the Wookie didn't get a medal also... oh, all the people got medals but the Wookie who had been in there fighting all the time, didn't get any medal, and I thought that was an example of Anti-Wookie discrimination." - Carl Sagan on the subject of Star Wars
    He knew.