criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

How to properly introduce Starfighters to CS

jo_achim747
2172 posts Member
edited January 27
So, we had this discussion over and over again - but to me it is still "criminal" that Starfighters are completely excluded from CS. Not even a controllable LAAT to get from point a to b quickly.

After reading and participating in many of these discussions, I came to an idea that might please everyone. Please be so kind and let me know your thoughts - any constructive feedback is very welcome :) I try to keep the description / explanation as short as possible:
  • CS starts normally
  • Once a team holds the majority of command posts (3 out of 5 minimum), 5 players are randomly selected and prompted with a quick menu, allowing those to play as starfighter (e.g. press left button to play as starfighter now, press right button to decline)
  • OPTION A: player has declined the opportunity to play as a starfighter - he continues his fight on the ground, while another player gets the same prompt.
  • OPTION B: player has accepted to play as starfighter - he'll crouch down, just as in 2015 and the screen fades to black, fades to normal again and he has spawned in a starfighter in the atmosphere

From here on, the game continues on the ground as normal. The attacking team has his 5 starfighters in the air. What's happening now?

As a starfighter, you:
  • can now damage some critical systems of the enemy CS
  • CANNOT shoot at ground troops, meaning your blaster bolts do not deal any damage to troopers and following and trying to get you close to the ground battle will result in you "leaving the battlefield"

As a trooper on the ground, you:
  • play your objective normally, meaning you take command posts and kill enemies
  • still trying to reach 100%

By the damage the starfighters create on the enemy CS, the attacking team either have
  • more time, when it needs to be boarded
  • gains also percentage for completeing the ground phase, allowing for a faster boarding
  • slightly damages the critical system the attackers have to destroy on the cs when it is finally boarded

Therefore, it can help your team very well playing in the air using your starfighter. If you get destroyed as a starfighter, you spawn regularly on the ground, whereas another trooper of your team gets the chance to play as a starfighter with the menu prompt described earlier.

So, how do the defenders actually defend against that and turn the tide?
  • They takeover the majority of command posts on the ground (minimum 3 of 5). If this happens the starfighters are shown a timer, how long they can stay in the starfighters. This countdown could possibly be something like 15 sec? Giving the team on the ground the chance to get back the command points. Once the countdown ran out, the now defender starfighters in the air are destroyed
  • When enemies have 5 starfighters in the air, defenders can have 2, actually trying to defend the attacking starfighters --> focus should be on taking back the command posts on the ground, therefore this is less than the attacking team
  • As long as your own CS is attackable, you can not attack the enemy CS

To be honest with you guys, this is basically one of the fairest ideas I could come up with and to be honest, I would really like to see it. This way Starfighter players are pleased, while the trooper players do not have to fear the striking force from above.

Furthermore this could be optimized by the dev team by laying a "dust" layer aka. clouds over the battlefield, so that this does not necessarily has to be rendered completely for people playing in the starfighters.

What do you think?
Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
Post edited by jo_achim747 on

Replies

• anidriX
    1735 posts Member
    To be honest I don't think there needs to be any type of system. Just allow starfighters on both sides. Strafe runs aren't such a big deal. As long as there are human players on both sides, it's fine. Battlefield has 2 jets per side on Conquest and Rush and it's not a problem. Allow 2 starfighters per side, 1 fighter and 1 interceptor.
  • Genin
    615 posts Member
    I see a lot of good ideas, but for some reason it looks like devs are not considering a way to introduce starfighters in what become the main mode of bf2.

In GA we have starfighters in some maps, and in maps like kasheek and hoth it's very enjoyable having dog fights in the sky to gain air superiority and give air support to the ground troops.

Both infantry and veichles have tools to fight back and it would be a real complete and funny experience.
  • Starfighters are part and parcel of the Star Wars experience, I love fighting them and fighting in them in GA. That there's no plans to bring them to CS is sad indeed.
  • anidriX wrote: »
    To be honest I don't think there needs to be any type of system. Just allow starfighters on both sides. Strafe runs aren't such a big deal. As long as there are human players on both sides, it's fine. Battlefield has 2 jets per side on Conquest and Rush and it's not a problem. Allow 2 starfighters per side, 1 fighter and 1 interceptor.

Personally I would not need any system either: but Devs stated often they would not like that since you could easy kill anybody since there is no cover... and yes, some would say it is "bad map design" but yeah, as said before, this is a compromise, but a fair one. Which also offers new sort of gameplay tbh
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
  • Just add them normally.

Could argue that Geo would be too open, but infantry has tools to dispatch of strafers. And as king as each side has fighters, it’s easy to contest the air.
    Confidence born of ignorance
  • Just add them normally.

Could argue that Geo would be too open, but infantry has tools to dispatch of strafers. And as king as each side has fighters, it’s easy to contest the air.

please refer to this
    anidriX wrote: »

Personally I would not need any system either: but Devs stated often they would not like that since you could easy kill anybody since there is no cover... and yes, some would say it is "bad map design" but yeah, as said before, this is a compromise, but a fair one. Which also offers new sort of gameplay tbh

• anidriX
    1735 posts Member

The only one that has little cover is Geonosis. Naboo, Kashyyyk, Kamino and Felucia all have some cover or at least something for players to hide or not be so visible. But even then it's not like Starfighters are able to strafe carelessly. Infantry can use Ion turret and Ion Torpedoes plus there would be 2 fighters on both sides.

The only one that has little cover is Geonosis. Naboo, Kashyyyk, Kamino and Felucia all have some cover or at least something for players to hide or not be so visible. But even then it's not like Starfighters are able to strafe carelessly. Infantry can use Ion turret and Ion Torpedoes plus there would be 2 fighters on both sides.

Again, You do not have to argue that with me :D As I said I would be fine with Starfighters being put directly into CS. But as stated above, Devs have already come out and said they would not really want that - at least that is what they said in the past.

Therefore, I simply tried to come up with a new idea on how the criticized points of having star fighters in CS could be converted and instead allow for ew objectives / mechanics to contribute to the game flow :)

As a starfighter, you:
    • CANNOT shoot at ground troops, meaning your blaster bolts do not deal any damage to troopers and following and trying to get you close to the ground battle will result in you "leaving the battlefield"
    What do you think?
    Awesome.
    Better album: Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree?
  • Rook008 wrote: »
    As a starfighter, you:
    What do you think?
    Awesome.

Very pleased to hear that :)

• anidriX
    1735 posts Member
    As a starfighter, you:

I don't like this. That's the whole point of having Starfighters in Trooper based modes, to be able to support your team on the ground from the air with strafe run by engaging ground troops and armored vehicles in addition to the occasional dogfight with the 2 fighters from the enemy team. If it's gonna be strictly dogfights, might as well switch to SFA.

As a starfighter, you:

I don't like this. That's the whole point of having Starfighters in Trooper based modes, to be able to support your team on the ground from the air with strafe run by engaging ground troops and armored vehicles in addition to the occasional dogfight with the 2 fighters from the enemy team. If it's gonna be strictly dogfights, might as well switch to SFA.

mhm, well - as I said, there would be targets on the enemy CS which you would have to destroy to quicker end the ground phase e.g.; or to damage the critical systems on the inside. So while you are not directly helping your m8s below by performing strafe runs - you can actually help them by fulfilling the aim of the ground phase (and the CS ship phase) quicker

But I get your point. As stated multiple times, I would also prefer Starfighters to be in there normally. but this approach would
    - be something new
    - would benefit the gameflow
    - wouldn't get much hate from people who hate starfighters since they are not strafe runned
    - would work well with the devs statements, regaridng maps being too open and too difficult to render

• When the mode was announced, it sounded like a blending of assault and conquest from OG BF2. But then Starfighters were left out.

DICE, do you hate Pilots that much? Someone please bring back Criterion!

indeed, the initial description of cs sounded much more like star fighters would take a central role ..

• I could go for a system where the starfighters are separated from the ground combat. I don't in any way want Starfighters on these ground maps. They are too small and would basically be a dinner bell for any good starfighter pilot to farm killstreaks.

Really, you are more or less describing a major difference between Capital Supremacy and Titan mode from Battlefield 2142. In Titan mode, the Titans (their capital ships) were playable on the map, and the maps were much bigger. Fighters and aircraft could destroy turrets on the Titans and/or deliver troops to them once their shields were down. The action on the ground was spread out enough that aircraft couldn't farm kills like we see in GA. There was also a lot more AA in the game.

Of course the old Battlefront had space only maps where you could fight over capital ships. Rumor was that an in-development Battlefront 3 way back then was going to have the ability to fly from ground to space.

Call it a dream of mine, but I want legit Titan mode or that rumored ground-to-space and back combat for Battlefront 3.
  • I could go for a system where the starfighters are separated from the ground combat. I don't in any way want Starfighters on these ground maps. They are too small and would basically be a dinner bell for any good starfighter pilot to farm killstreaks.

Well, that's what I am describing above :) As I said, to us starfighter players, it is a compromise. But if something like this is the only way how to get starfighters into CS, I would be happy to take it.
    Really, you are more or less describing a major difference between Capital Supremacy and Titan mode from Battlefield 2142. In Titan mode, the Titans (their capital ships) were playable on the map, and the maps were much bigger. Fighters and aircraft could destroy turrets on the Titans and/or deliver troops to them once their shields were down. The action on the ground was spread out enough that aircraft couldn't farm kills like we see in GA. There was also a lot more AA in the game.

Of course the old Battlefront had space only maps where you could fight over capital ships. Rumor was that an in-development Battlefront 3 way back then was going to have the ability to fly from ground to space.

Call it a dream of mine, but I want legit Titan mode or that rumored ground-to-space and back combat for Battlefront 3.

I would have loved the revival of the original titan mode in Battlefront as well. It is a dream coming true to star wars fans imo. But, unfortunately, DICE had different plans on this take :(

• This is a very interesting take on this - kind of a minimal approach, but given the neglectence of Starfighter based Content by the Devs, that's probably our only hope. If there is any, which shouldn't stop us from asking for new content.
    It's Star (...) Wars after all, and this game is the best chance we starfighter fans will get in some time.

In GA the best Maps with Starfighters are those where you actually can contribute to the objective play - all walker assault type maps like Kashyyyk or Naboo. Hoth with the Ski-Speeders is the best implementation in my opinion.

A mechanic like the one you outlined would be perfect in my opinion and would work along what's in the game already. I don't think strafing would be such an issue to be honest and I wouldn't disconnect it from the Trooper Gameplay.

Also- we could finaly board capital ships in a Starfighter! I mean the Mechanics are in the Game already.

Starkiller Base is a good indication why Starfighters only make sense in CS if there is an objective Pilots can work towards to. All you can do on Starkiller Base is dogfight and strafe infantry - to me that's kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to dogfight over Felucia :-) But I can see how this could be a bit annyoing if you a) can't help with the objective and b) are on the receiving end of the strafing run of a fairly decent pilot.

But - it seems at some stage in 2018 the team at dice decided to give up on the starfighter aspect of the game. Probably because Criterion was rushed to the Rescue of Firestorm, the BFV Battle Royale. That - ironically, has been abandoned by Dice just like Starfighter Assault in Battlefront II. Hope the Guys get their own Game at some Stage.
    Pilot Main, YouTube Channel dedicated to the Starfighter Modes: RogueWolfe: Starfighter Tutorials, News-Reports & Streams .
    Monthly Starfighter Top 5 Competition
  • Honestly, for me starfighters with stronger air vs ground than ground vs air add a lot of tactical depth on the team level. Starfighters themselves can't contribute to the objective (at least on their own) but (only) if strong enough offer valuable support to the ground. So aerial supremacy can offer an advantage but takes effort to be achieved. This is what offers tactical considerations. It can't be neglected and needs to be at least contested and mitigated (through ground based AA). This construct of interdependency offers gameplay depth.
    I'd argue they aren't OP since their higher strength is balanced by their limited ability to achieve the objective. Also CS being far more spread out than GA alongside the starfighters limited ability of telling apart AI and players should mitigate the problems with strafing in that mode.
  • RogueWolfe wrote: »
    This is a very interesting take on this - kind of a minimal approach, but given the neglectence of Starfighter based Content by the Devs, that's probably our only hope. If there is any, which shouldn't stop us from asking for new content.
    It's Star (...) Wars after all, and this game is the best chance we starfighter fans will get in some time.

In GA the best Maps with Starfighters are those where you actually can contribute to the objective play - all walker assault type maps like Kashyyyk or Naboo. Hoth with the Ski-Speeders is the best implementation in my opinion.

A mechanic like the one you outlined would be perfect in my opinion and would work along what's in the game already. I don't think strafing would be such an issue to be honest and I wouldn't disconnect it from the Trooper Gameplay.

Thanks for the feedback you kindly provided here, also by drawing comparisons to how starfighters actually contribute to the gameflow. I would not see strafe runs as much of an issue either. Especially since fighter canons are not that much damaging infantry right now and ion turrets / torpedos / snipers with ion shots are everyhwere. However, from a pure trooper perspective, I can somewhat understand the trooper players: it is more of a tropper focused mode now. Adding more vehicles to it might take the focus on the ground away; that's why I came up with this compromise :)
    RogueWolfe wrote: »
    Also- we could finaly board capital ships in a Starfighter! I mean the Mechanics are in the Game already.

Although I would personally also like that, it is not intended to do so in my approach :) Phases end as they do now. I am really hoping that they introduce such a mechanic in the next battlefront installment!
    RogueWolfe wrote: »
    Starkiller Base is a good indication why Starfighters only make sense in CS if there is an objective Pilots can work towards to. All you can do on Starkiller Base is dogfight and strafe infantry - to me that's kind of boring. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to dogfight over Felucia :-) But I can see how this could be a bit annyoing if you a) can't help with the objective and b) are on the receiving end of the strafing run of a fairly decent pilot.

But - it seems at some stage in 2018 the team at dice decided to give up on the starfighter aspect of the game. Probably because Criterion was rushed to the Rescue of Firestorm, the BFV Battle Royale. That - ironically, has been abandoned by Dice just like Starfighter Assault in Battlefront II. Hope the Guys get their own Game at some Stage.

Just agree here

• Honestly, for me starfighters with stronger air vs ground than ground vs air add a lot of tactical depth on the team level. Starfighters themselves can't contribute to the objective (at least on their own) but (only) if strong enough offer valuable support to the ground. So aerial supremacy can offer an advantage but takes effort to be achieved. This is what offers tactical considerations. It can't be neglected and needs to be at least contested and mitigated (through ground based AA). This construct of interdependency offers gameplay depth.
    I'd argue they aren't OP since their higher strength is balanced by their limited ability to achieve the objective. Also CS being far more spread out than GA alongside the starfighters limited ability of telling apart AI and players should mitigate the problems with strafing in that mode.

Mostly agree here, but with all the different opinions and expectations flying around (pun intended) in the community, I do not think we will get "pure" starfighter combat in CS at anytime

Here is a solution to players complaining to complain about strafe runners; how about you spend your points on a starfighters, interceptor or bomber to dogfight those other fighters in the air to strive for dominance in the skies. If your being strafe run from the air than that's own teams fault for spending points on a fighter and just saving it up to be a hero. It's a common sense solution to spend your points to hop into a fighter to battle against the other fighters for air dominance.

Here is a solution to players complaining to complain about strafe runners; how about you spend your points on a starfighters, interceptor or bomber to dogfight those other fighters in the air to strive for dominance in the skies. If your being strafe run from the air than that's own teams fault for spending points on a fighter and just saving it up to be a hero. It's a common sense solution to spend your points to hop into a fighter to battle against the other fighters for air dominance.

sorry I do not quite get want you want to express, would you mind rephrasing it?

• So, we had this discussion over and over again - but to me it is still "criminal" that Starfighters are completely excluded from CS. Not even a controllable LAAT to get from point a to b quickly.

After reading and participating in many of these discussions, I came to an idea that might please everyone. Please be so kind and let me know your thoughts - any constructive feedback is very welcome :) I try to keep the description / explanation as short as possible:
    • CS starts normally
    • Once a team holds the majority of command posts (3 out of 5 minimum), 5 players are randomly selected and prompted with a quick menu, allowing those to play as starfighter (e.g. press left button to play as starfighter now, press right button to decline)
    • OPTION A: player has declined the opportunity to play as a starfighter - he continues his fight on the ground, while another player gets the same prompt.
    • OPTION B: player has accepted to play as starfighter - he'll crouch down, just as in 2015 and the screen fades to black, fades to normal again and he has spawned in a starfighter in the atmosphere

From here on, the game continues on the ground as normal. The attacking team has his 5 starfighters in the air. What's happening now?

As a starfighter, you:

As a trooper on the ground, you:
    • play your objective normally, meaning you take command posts and kill enemies
    • still trying to reach 100%

By the damage the starfighters create on the enemy CS, the attacking team either have
    • more time, when it needs to be boarded
    • gains also percentage for completeing the ground phase, allowing for a faster boarding
    • slightly damages the critical system the attackers have to destroy on the cs when it is finally boarded

Therefore, it can help your team very well playing in the air using your starfighter. If you get destroyed as a starfighter, you spawn regularly on the ground, whereas another trooper of your team gets the chance to play as a starfighter with the menu prompt described earlier.

So, how do the defenders actually defend against that and turn the tide?
    • They takeover the majority of command posts on the ground (minimum 3 of 5). If this happens the starfighters are shown a timer, how long they can stay in the starfighters. This countdown could possibly be something like 15 sec? Giving the team on the ground the chance to get back the command points. Once the countdown ran out, the now defender starfighters in the air are destroyed
    • When enemies have 5 starfighters in the air, defenders can have 2, actually trying to defend the attacking starfighters --> focus should be on taking back the command posts on the ground, therefore this is less than the attacking team
    • As long as your own CS is attackable, you can not attack the enemy CS

To be honest with you guys, this is basically one of the fairest ideas I could come up with and to be honest, I would really like to see it. This way Starfighter players are pleased, while the trooper players do not have to fear the striking force from above.

Furthermore this could be optimized by the dev team by laying a "dust" layer aka. clouds over the battlefield, so that this does not necessarily has to be rendered completely for people playing in the starfighters.

What do you think?

I completely disagree with what you said; but I am for adding starfighters because it would make the game way more of a sandbox mode for every type of player being able to play the game however they want. Instead of the invasion phase, it will be a conquest style phase (with no ship interiors) and to win your team has to reach a 1000 reinforcement points.

But to gain reinforcement points, you do that by still capturing and holding a majority of command posts; but now you can also gain points by killing enemy troopers, reinforcements, heroes, ai, and destroying enemy vehicles/fighters/capital ships/frigates or support ships/fighter ai.

I would still allow fighters to strafe run ground forces on the ground to provide support for their team and if you get annoyed at that; than spend your battle points on a fighter to battle against them in the skies. But with adding starfighters to now Supremacy; they will have objectives from the sky like destroying critical systems on the other teams Capital Ship and destroying the enemy frigates that will advance your team on the scoreboard to 1000. If your faction starfighter players do manage to take out the enemy capital ship it will give your team a massive point bonus on the scoreboard.

This is where in order to win your teams has to explore all layers on the battlefront. If it is starfighters fighting it out in the skies (taking out enemy frigates, other fighters, providing air support for your team on the ground and destroying the enemy CS), ground forces capturing and holding a majority of command post or killing enemy troopers, reinforcements, ai, heroes and destroying ground based vehicles will be the way to win in Supremacy.

These changes that I proposed will revise Supremacy into the mode that we all want it to be and for all players to play or experience Star Wars any way they want.

I got this idea Star Wars Battlefront elite squadron conquest mode and the only difference is that you cannot board the enemy ship

sorry I do not quite get want you want to express, would you mind rephrasing it?

What I mean by that is take ownership of the problem and spend your battle points on a starfighter to dogfight those other fighters in the air; so there more focused on you and instead of your ground forces. Your helping team out a lot when your team also have a starfighter in the air fighting against other teams starfighter players.
  • @TheYoungCentrist I am just gonna tag you here since quoting might get a little long now :D

What you describe in your first post has been requested, discussed and more or less revised by the dev team... which is, as you said, something most of us would want from a battlefront game, but DICE did not want that (maybe due to design decisions, maybe due to technical hurdles, who knows).

Since all those different options on how CS could be completely reworked have been revised til now, I was offering this solution which would allow to mostly stay in tact and still add star fighters on top of it while giving ground troops no reason to complain. No complains -> more supporters for star fighters in cs

However, what you described is something we'll never see in BF2 sadly... hopefully in another installment..

What I mean by that is take ownership of the problem and spend your battle points on a starfighter to dogfight those other fighters in the air; so there more focused on you and instead of your ground forces. Your helping team out a lot when your team also have a starfighter in the air fighting against other teams starfighter players.

Ah ok, thanks for detailing that for me. Well, then you are basically forcing people to get into fighters to protect themselves. From my point of view there are already some effective ways in the game to protect yourself from air fighters.
    e.g. ion turret, ion shots (especially for sniper, also available for heavy and assault) which can deal quite a lot of damage already.

However, I would appreciate it more, if we could get some sort of anti air turrets in future versions / installments of the battlefront franchise, in which you actually have to enter and which you can control. Therefore you are then maybe able to protect a command post which is mainly open, but then has 1 or 2 of these turrets alongside with it, offering the opportunity to fight back fighters without the need of ion shots.