criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Chris Hemsworth would of made a good Anakin. Who do you think could of done a good job?

Prev1
Starwarsor66
2917 posts Member
edited January 31
He's got the look...he's got the look.

He's also got a voice that's more fitting to an alpha male than Hayden does. It also then is not much of a stretch to make the link between him and Vader's mask voice.

He's got good height. 6'3" I think. Plus a decent amount of muscle to fill out the suit for when he has to change to Vader.

He can pull off the "Badas.." look like we've all seen him do with Thor. So that would of suited well for episode 3.

Even when I used to watch Home and Away when I was a youngen, he was still basically the same looking guy, but just with longer hair. So he easily could of played the Anakin role even around that time when the movies were made and he was a teenager.

Hayden did an ok job. Bit of a miscast in my opinion. I mean I think he's cool now haha but when I first saw the prequels, I didn't like him at all. I think Chris Hemsworth would of got everyone on board with liking Anakin and the opinions wouldn't be anywhere near as dividing.

You guys have any thought on who you think would of made a good Anakin?

Replies

• I would have liked to see what Michael Cera could have done with the role
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • Feelee6
    2415 posts Member
    edited January 31
    Why him?
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Chris Hemsworth's first acting gig was in 2002, the same year AotC released, whereas Hayden had been acting since the early 90s and Lucas was impressed with his work on a couple of movies and a TV show.
    Whether you think Hemsworth would've better doesn't matter because he was just starting his acting career in 2002 whereas Hayden at least had something of a budding career with lots of experience behind him, so there was no chance Hemsworth would have ever been a consideration for the role.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • awakespace
    1472 posts Member
    edited January 31
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    But he does have blue eyes and light brown hair like Mark did. Kinda bothered me that Luke had blue eyes and lighter hair while padme and Anakin didn't. I know It's possible but still

Hayden has blue eyes
    Natalie has brown
    Mark has blue
    Carrie has brown

works pretty well

also Natalie's shortness explains Luke and Leia being short

re the first post - I think Hayden was a really good Anakin - childish and odd - whiney - overly possessive - and also unbalanced
  • Feelee6
    2415 posts Member
    edited January 31
    Wow, just checked again and he actually does. Forget what I said
    ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • Feelee16 wrote: »
    Deleted

his style
  • Ivar the Boneless
  • I would have liked to see what Michael Cera could have done with the role

Hmm...kind of funny for once.
  • Chris Hemsworth's first acting gig was in 2002, the same year AotC released, whereas Hayden had been acting since the early 90s and Lucas was impressed with his work on a couple of movies and a TV show.
    Whether you think Hemsworth would've better doesn't matter because he was just starting his acting career in 2002 whereas Hayden at least had something of a budding career with lots of experience behind him, so there was no chance Hemsworth would have ever been a consideration for the role.

Oh geez. Do we really have to get into the ins and outs to that degree? Chris is 2 years younger. Close enough.
  • awakespace wrote: »
    Feelee16 wrote: »
    But he does have blue eyes and light brown hair like Mark did. Kinda bothered me that Luke had blue eyes and lighter hair while padme and Anakin didn't. I know It's possible but still

Hayden has blue eyes
    Natalie has brown
    Mark has blue
    Carrie has brown

works pretty well

also Natalie's shortness explains Luke and Leia being short

re the first post - I think Hayden was a really good Anakin - childish and odd - whiney - overly possessive - and also unbalanced

I think you're describing Anakin and not Hayden haha
  • Hayden did a great job.

Did you think that when the prequels came out?
  • It didn’t matter who played Anakin. George’s writing and directing would’ve ruined anyone’s career.

At it didn't occur to me to look at an actors performance. I was a teenager at the time of the PT. Watching them now, I think he portrayed an angsty awkward young man dealing with tremendous pressure perfectly. He would have been spoiled and awkward, as he was raised by the Jedi from a very young age.

At it didn't occur to me to look at an actors performance. I was a teenager at the time of the PT. Watching them now, I think he portrayed an angsty awkward young man dealing with tremendous pressure perfectly. He would have been spoiled and awkward, as he was raised by the Jedi from a very young age.

Yeah he would of been. I think the main problem with that whole awkwardness thing is that it's honestly hard to tell if it's his acting that's making it awkward or if the character is supposed to be like that.

I guess people can say it was bad directing though and George Lucas should be the one replaced haha.

Yeah he would of been. I think the main problem with that whole awkwardness thing is that it's honestly hard to tell if it's his acting that's making it awkward or if the character is supposed to be like that.

I guess people can say it was bad directing though and George Lucas should be the one replaced haha.

I think that's fair about Lucas. And I definitely think the character was supposed to be that way.
  • It didn’t matter who played Anakin. George’s writing and directing would’ve ruined anyone’s career.

Agree, GL at that time would have made anyone sound cringe with some of his lines.

To the op, Hayden for me all the way, can’t think of a better Anakin, I like Chris for what he does but can’t seen him as Anakin.

Oh geez. Do we really have to get into the ins and outs to that degree? Chris is 2 years younger. Close enough.

Yes, we do, because regardless or whether you think Hemsworth is a better actor and would have been good for the role, he wasn't even an actor at that time so he would never have had a chance of being cast in that role because of that.
    When fantasy casting actors, you have to at least take into account if they were around at that time to be cast in the role. It's like if someone said, "I think Saoirse Ronan would've made a good Padme", but she was 5 at the time of TPM so that wouldn't have happened and it's the same with Hemsworth because he wasn't acting at the time AotC was being cast.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    My Concepts
    Clone Skin Changes | Clone Customisation & Menu | Empire Customisation & Menu
  • He's got the look...he's got the look.

He's also got a voice that's more fitting to an alpha male than Hayden does. It also then is not much of a stretch to make the link between him and Vader's mask voice.

He's got good height. 6'3" I think. Plus a decent amount of muscle to fill out the suit for when he has to change to Vader.

He can pull off the "Badas.." look like we've all seen him do with Thor. So that would of suited well for episode 3.

Even when I used to watch Home and Away when I was a youngen, he was still basically the same looking guy, but just with longer hair. So he easily could of played the Anakin role even around that time when the movies were made and he was a teenager.

Hayden did an ok job. Bit of a miscast in my opinion. I mean I think he's cool now haha but when I first saw the prequels, I didn't like him at all. I think Chris Hemsworth would of got everyone on board with liking Anakin and the opinions wouldn't be anywhere near as dividing.

Nah. He's to much of a superhero looking guy for me.

Yes, we do, because regardless or whether you think Hemsworth is a better actor and would have been good for the role, he wasn't even an actor at that time so he would never have had a chance of being cast in that role because of that.
    When fantasy casting actors, you have to at least take into account if they were around at that time to be cast in the role. It's like if someone said, "I think Saoirse Ronan would've made a good Padme", but she was 5 at the time of TPM so that wouldn't have happened and it's the same with Hemsworth because he wasn't acting at the time AotC was being cast.

Dude, you're going too far into it. I think it's fine is someone said whoever Saoirse Ronan is, would of made a good Padme. You're talking about stuff that could literally never happen anyway, so why bother sticking to making the appropriate age or experience as an actor apart of the criteria for imagining what sort of job they would of done in the movie.

FYI, experience in acting isn't necessary to land a major role. It's acting haha almost anyone can do it. Edward Furlong got his role in terminator 2 without any experience or even any ambition to act. So simply an audition could of done the trick for Hemsworth. I mean what are you going to say to that? "Oh he couldn't of because he never actually even tried to audition" haha. If you're going to mention a whole bunch of reason why someone didn't actually get the role in reality then it will always lead you just back to saying that only Hayden is the one who could of got it, because he got it! That way of thinking leaves no imagination possible and you can't be open to fun theories like this.
  • CeymalRen wrote: »
    He's got the look...he's got the look.

Nah. He's to much of a superhero looking guy for me.

Well yeah you think that now haha. Robert Downey Jr used to be too much of a junkie criminal looking guy to everyone haha but now he's superhero looking. I wonder why :P
  • unpopular opinion: Hayden did a great job.

Sure, his role in Ep.2 was a bit doll, but let's be honest - this was not due to his acting skills. The love dialogues were really bad but that is not the actor's fault.

In Ep.3 however he lived up to the expectations and exceeded those imo. Great fade from light to dark. Really well acted. Would never want to replace him
    Wanna read how Starfighters could be introduced to CS in a fair manner? Read-up on it here: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/153390/how-to-properly-introduce-starfighters-to-cs#latest

Want to support Starfighter content in general? Help us here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/evnc78/starfighters_reborn/
  • unpopular opinion: Hayden did a great job.

Sure, his role in Ep.2 was a bit doll, but let's be honest - this was not due to his acting skills. The love dialogues were really bad but that is not the actor's fault.

In Ep.3 however he lived up to the expectations and exceeded those imo. Great fade from light to dark. Really well acted. Would never want to replace him

Yes he did quite a good job in episode 3. Was quite bad in episode 2 though for sure.
  • Hayden nailed the look for me honestly. He just looks like a BAMF in episode 3

it didn't hurt Ewan's, although Ewan is a solidly mediocre actor who has difficulty in excelling in movies not directed by Danny Boyle

we will be seeing, for example, Adam Driver in a bunch of good movies, because he's a legitimately good actor...Hayden has basically gone to the bottom of the straight to video bin, i.e. he's gotten not very good parts in not very good movies, some of them only released in Canada (although I do want to see that movie he did with Harvey Keitel just for laughs)
  • why was Hayden cast? because of his dumb story plotting, Lucas needed someone who could look convincingly adolescent in Clones and convincingly adult in Sith, and Hayden more or less did that...just a shame his line reads are horrifically cringy

the problem is Lucas needed a good actor for a role he'd written beyond his abilities as a director, but a good actor is never going to be a great fit for Lucas' creative sensibilities (at least at that point--when Lucas was more influenced by his filmmaking peers like Coppola he seemed to put in more effort)...a good actor is going to be holding the Clones or Sith script with an incredulous look on his face and saying something like "George, you can type this [stuff], but you sure can't say it!" And George in his nerdy voice is going to reply "Just say it faster"

when you're looking for good acting in a Star Wars movie directed by Lucas, you're looking at the old pros--Guinness, Cushing, Lee, I would almost say Ford is the exception but he's pretty wan in Return of the Jedi (he's reading the lines but his eyes are looking at his bank account)

it didn't hurt Ewan's, although Ewan is a solidly mediocre actor who has difficulty in excelling in movies not directed by Danny Boyle

we will be seeing, for example, Adam Driver in a bunch of good movies, because he's a legitimately good actor...Hayden has basically gone to the bottom of the straight to video bin, i.e. he's gotten not very good parts in not very good movies, some of them only released in Canada (although I do want to see that movie he did with Harvey Keitel just for laughs)

I thought Hayden consciously took a huge break from acting? Like yeah he could of just been getting bad offers and just said that to us all haha

Also yes Liam Neeson sure seemed like a good actor in episode 1 under the same director. So maybe George Lucas wasn't as much of a factor in Anakin being all awkward that people say and it was Hayden's acting. Then again Liam Neeson was well established and probably would of had way more input into his character than Hayden would of because of that.
  • He's got the look...he's got the look.

Hayden Christensen
  • Liam often looked pained in Menace, I felt the same way watching an outstanding actor be forced to regurgitate exposition and move the plot forward with the blandest of dialogue ("there's always a bigger fish"--just look at how glazed his eyes are in that scene, from all the green screen he had to do)
  • Liam often looked pained in Menace, I felt the same way watching an outstanding actor be forced to regurgitate exposition and move the plot forward with the blandest of dialogue ("there's always a bigger fish"--just look at how glazed his eyes are in that scene, from all the green screen he had to do)

He's an extremely good actor. Highly unlikely he would let his distaste for a line in the movie actually be made visible. Maybe you are bias because you now know he didn't enjoy the filming process and are reading too much into things.
  • OutboundFlight1
    223 posts Member
    edited January 31
    Honestly, my pick would go to Matt Lanter, he did a great job on Anakin’s voice in TCW, balancing charm with aggression. And he looks similar to Anakin.

si38cfclhgzx.jpeg
  • My mans Hayden is the perfect Anakin 👌
    Be sure to unsubscribe & dislike as it helps out a lot:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnRouzdpRHBBptPtbzFekLA/videos?view_as=subscriber
  • Nope Hayden christensen is the best and only true canon anakin.
  • If Hayden is alive there is no reason to bring someone else. And if you have to, don't even name Chris Hemsworth, he's not a good actor
  • James franco would be interesting
  • or Jake Gyllenhaal
  • SQJACKIE wrote: »
    If Hayden is alive there is no reason to bring someone else. And if you have to, don't even name Chris Hemsworth, he's not a good actor

Neither is Hayden haha. However Chris has more "screen presence" than Hayden does. He's got that same quality Brad Pitt has where even though he's not the best actor, he's still undeniably a top tier "movie star" because of his looks and personality/confidence, and can carry movies better than Hayden because of it. Not that he's had any movies that have been as highly acclaimed as Brad Pitt's have though haha.
  • Jimmy89 wrote: »
    James franco would be interesting

Yes he would of been good for sure. Good actor and definitely has the dark side look to him.
  • Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of Anakin. I think he also would of been a great cast.

On another note. Who else would of made a good obi-wan? Because I think that although Ewan did a good job, it still could of been done better and a different style. I would of liked to of seen Obi-Wan more serious and come across a little bit wiser in the 2nd and 3rd films. I know a lot of this probably came down to directing and also Alec Guinness was an almost impossible act to live up to. The writing in particular of the storyline where obi-wan talks about the planet he's missed. Like c'mon man!! It was such an obvious thing to do to just go and check out the location of the planet itself. If one of the 4 main natural forces of physics are acting in a way that says a planet is in a certain location, but a computer tells you it isn't there. Gee, which one are you going to believe?
  • Feelee6
    2415 posts Member
    Jimmy89 wrote: »
    James franco would be interesting

Yes he would of been good for sure. Good actor and definitely has the dark side look to him.
    I agreepv49sasop9zi.gif

ur9uulae4dqx.gif
  • DarthLando
    2354 posts Member
    edited February 1
    Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of Anakin. I think he also would of been a great cast.

Leo turned down the roles of Anakin Skywalker, Spider-man & Robin in ‘Batman Forever’

Crazy
    PSN: DarthLando-
  • DarthLando wrote: »
    Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio turned down the role of Anakin. I think he also would of been a great cast.

Leo turned down the roles of Anakin Skywalker, Spider-man & Robin in ‘Batman Forever’

Crazy

Oh I didn't know about spidey and Robin. He wouldn't of been as good as Toby as spidey, but better than that Robin guy probably.
  • Hayden did a good job, he's a solid actor.
    That said — the writing was a bit tedious at times, and they didn't need to portray him a such a whinging nancy half the time. But the strong moments (like at the end of Clones and beginning of ROTS) were very good.
    Maybe someone with a larger frame, seeing as how they used Prowse for Vader and all.
  • blgrn37 wrote: »
    Hayden did a good job, he's a solid actor.
    That said — the writing was a bit tedious at times, and they didn't need to portray him a such a whinging nancy half the time. But the strong moments (like at the end of Clones and beginning of ROTS) were very good.
    Maybe someone with a larger frame, seeing as how they used Prowse for Vader and all.

Yeah one of the main reasons I picked Hemsworth was because of his build. Taller and also more muscular than Hayden when they were around the same age.
  • Hemsworth looks more like a younger Obi-Wan to me. Except a more statuesque type of Obi-Wan like the old CW cartoons and comics.
  • ZephanUnbound
    3650 posts Member
    edited February 1
    I never really got the Hayden hate. Yes, his voice is a bit high pitched and whiny, but it never really mattered to me that much. It’s a shame that he got so much hate over Star Wars that it basically killed his acting career, I only saw him in 1 thing after Episode 3, Jumper.

That being said, I do prefer Matt Lanter’s deeper voiced take on Anakin in TCW over Hayden’s version. Lanterkin is just much more fitting for a man who would become Darth Vader, you can’t really imagine James Earl Jones’ voice coming out of Hayden’s Anakin, breathing apparatus or not.
  • Hemsworth looks more like a younger Obi-Wan to me. Except a more statuesque type of Obi-Wan like the old CW cartoons and comics.

Really? I always felt Obi-Wan had a bit of a nerd vibe to his character haha Something Chris Hemsworth doesn't really suit at all I think.
  • I never really got the Hayden hate. Yes, his voice is a bit high pitched and whiny, but it never really mattered to me that much. It’s a shame that he got so much hate over Star Wars that it basically killed his acting career, I only saw him in 1 thing after Episode 3, Jumper.

That being said, I do prefer Matt Lanter’s deeper voiced take on Anakin in TCW over Hayden’s version. Lanterkin is just much more fitting for a man who would become Darth Vader, you can’t really imagine James Earl Jones’ voice coming out of Hayden’s Anakin, breathing apparatus or not.

Yeah I think the voice was a major factor in people believing he wasn't a good fit. Vader's voice is his most iconic attribute regardless of how his mask made it sound the way it did, and yet they chose an actor without a deep voice.

Really? I always felt Obi-Wan had a bit of a nerd vibe to his character haha Something Chris Hemsworth doesn't really suit at all I think.

His LOOK. Think of Hemsworth and this Obi-Wan

d7fbe604612897fda4edbf157c631b8a.jpg