criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

The Battlefront 2 forums need to be improved

Doctor_Jones
115 posts Member
edited February 7
So I'm fairly new to posting and commenting on the Battlefront 2 forums. I think this is a great place for players to come and voice their opinions about how the game should be improved, among other things. However there's a few problems with this site that really hinder our ability to have clear discussions.
  • One, there are too many "agree with" options, and not enough "disagree with" options for posts. We have no way of knowing if a post is something that people disagree with, are divisive on, or are simply indifferent to.
  • Two, notifications are broken. If I'm replying to a lot of threads, I never get notifications from the people who are actually REPLYING to my comments. Which means I have to manually look through every post I've commented on to see if people are replying to me.
  • Three, comment signatures blend in with the rest of a person's comment, and are too large. There's no separation between a person's actual comment, and their signature. The only difference is the text of a person's signature, it's a little grey, THAT'S IT. Some people have signatures so large that it makes the whole thread bloated.
  • And four, comments can't be deleted. Seriously, why is there no option to delete your own comments on a post?

There are simple solutions for all these problems, and I hope the moderators solve them so that we can have a more productive environment in the forums. Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• it used to have it, it was took out because people were massiv downvoting things, if you don't like something you can use "insightful" it's pretty much always used ironically.
    • yes
    • yes
    • there's probably a reason I don't know of for why but it doesn't bother me personally.
    The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. - Qui-Gon Jinn
    Never tell me the odds. - Han Solo
  • The Insightful is basically an LOL function. I do agree with the deletion-ing-er thing.
    Yeah, you know who I am...
    • it used to have it, it was took out because people were massiv downvoting things, if you don't like something you can use "insightful" it's pretty much always used ironically.
    • yes
    • yes
    • there's probably a reason I don't know of for why but it doesn't bother me personally.

People use "insightful" ironically, you say? ;)
  • ZephanUnbound
    3623 posts Member
    edited February 7
    • There used to be an LOL reaction, but people got their feelings hurt, whined, and it was removed. I think most people use Insightful now if they disagree with a post. Kind of sucks, because I had alot of legit insightful's from before LOL was removed, and now it looks like a I have alot of disagrees. I've only gotten 19 Insightful's since LOL was removed it, just checked.
    • Notifications only work if someone @'s you, they don't work for people who quote you for some dumb reason. I agree that they need to add that functionality.
    • I personally separated my own signature with a line of hyphens. Shame that the forum doesn't automatically do it for you.
    • Yeah, it's pretty dumb that you can't delete your own comments, best you can do is edit them and put in something like "disregard"

• We really just need some new mods..

The volunteer mods are much better than the EA ones. :*
  • Alwe15
    2379 posts Member
    So I'm fairly new to posting and commenting on the Battlefront 2 forums. I think this is a great place for players to come and voice their opinions about how the game should be improved, among other things. However there's a few problems with this site that really hinder our ability to have clear discussions.
    • One, there are too many "agree with" options, and not enough "disagree with" options for posts. We have no way of knowing if a post is something that people disagree with, are divisive on, or are simply indifferent to.
    • Two, notifications are broken. If I'm replying to a lot of threads, I never get notifications from the people who are actually REPLYING to my comments. Which means I have to manually look through every post I've commented on to see if people are replying to me.
    • Three, comment signatures blend in with the rest of a person's comment, and are too large. There's no separation between a person's actual comment, and their signature. The only difference is the text of a person's signature, it's a little grey, THAT'S IT. Some people have signatures so large that it makes the whole thread bloated.
    • And four, comments can't be deleted. Seriously, why is there no option to delete your own comments on a post?

There are simple solutions for all these problems, and I hope the moderators solve them so that we can have a more productive environment in the forums. Let me know what you guys think.

One - there used to be a "disagree" but snowflakes couldn't cope with having their opinion down voted, so it was removed. The "LOL" option was then used as a disagree alternative and the snowflakes complained once again, so it was removed. Rumour has it that "insightful" is the new LOL which I guess technically makes it a disagree. It's a pretty weak option though and this can be assumed as not even the snowflakes have complained about it!

Two - there are settings you can change about notifications. Mess around with them 👍🏼

Three - 🤷🏼‍♂️

Four - edit the comment and just put "delete" and the mods will usually remove it.
  • Dice seem to be afraid of anything resembling downvotes. I can't exactly remember why :neutral:
  • ROMG4
    4645 posts Member
    Essentially speaking everytime we get a dislike button someone or a few people here go crazy and make it their mission to downvote every single post from someone they dislike

And I mean every post, they'll go months or even years back until you have something like a few thousand negatives. ALl things considered I found it quite funny though

It's happened to me and a few users multiple times, regardless. Lol, its even happening to me again with a certain fishhook
    OOM-9 FOR LEGO STAR WARS
    OOM-9 Hero Concept by AzelfandQuilava
    https://i.redd.it/uleh1g22xrhz.png

OOM-9 Canonical Material Check-List:

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
    William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
    Ultimate Star Wars (Reference Guide)
    Star Wars: On the Front Lines (Reference Guide)
    Darth Maul: "Who is supervising the search for the Gungan cities?" Nute Gunray: "Commander OOM-Nine." Darth Maul: "A droid. The predecessor of your inept B-Ones." Rune Haako: "A superior droid, Lord Maul. Viceroy Gunray's personal guard."
    Bring OOM-9, Hondo, Bo Katan, Mara Jade, Dengar, IG-88, Greedo, Zam Wessel General Veers, Tarkin and Rogue One, into the game we must. The way this is
    Tell Me. Have You Ever Heard Of The Tragedy Of Darth Coyler The Wise?
    A OOM-9 Thread!
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/152598/the-oom-9-vs-jar-jar-season

Episode 9's Ending
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025735/uploads/editor/15/zs312vl0xftg.jpeg
  • Batman20
    2715 posts Member
    edited February 8
    If you don't get any likes or agrees is how you know nobody likes what you suggested I agree with all the other points you should definitely be notified if someone quotes you and you should be able to delete comments
  • You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Reddit would like a word...
  • mastery0ta wrote: »
    You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Reddit would like a word...

Oh you aren't wrong friend. I stopped going there long ago. I enjoy these forums for real
  • Yea some members of a certain discord chat make it their mission to insightful me a lot now, it’s cool. It makes me seem smarter with the iinsightfulness I have given to the forums 😈
  • I wish we could edit our responses in case there’s any mistakes.
  • James8282 wrote: »
    Dice seem to be afraid of anything resembling downvotes. I can't exactly remember why :neutral:

theory: forum janitors were traumatized by their unpopularity in school and equate downvotes to bullying, when it's really just disagreement and that is normal
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's
  • IIPrest0nII
    5294 posts SWBF Senior Moderator
    edited February 8

One, there are too many "agree with" options, and not enough "disagree with" options for posts. We have no way of knowing if a post is something that people disagree with, are divisive on, or are simply indifferent to.

We had such option like "Disagree" before and had to remove it. Users used it for other purposes even if a post was really good. That was some kind of trolling, harassment and toxicity, we try to prevent this from happening on our forums. So, that's why the option was removed and there are no plans to return it back.

///
    Two, notifications are broken. If I'm replying to a lot of threads, I never get notifications from the people who are actually REPLYING to my comments. Which means I have to manually look through every post I've commented on to see if people are replying to me.

Please check your Notification preferences and make sure that the option responsible for this is enabled for you: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/profile/preferences/

///
    Three, comment signatures blend in with the rest of a person's comment, and are too large. There's no separation between a person's actual comment, and their signature. The only difference is the text of a person's signature, it's a little grey, THAT'S IT. Some people have signatures so large that it makes the whole thread bloated.

Well, probably Signatures need some improvements, agree with you. At the moment I'm not aware if anything will be changed for Signature feature.

///
    And four, comments can't be deleted. Seriously, why is there no option to delete your own comments on a post?

This option is not available for regular users for reasons. Any comments must stay on the forums. Even if we remove comments/topics, they are still on the forum, just moved to the private (hidden) area that's visible only for Moderators and Administrators. There are no plans to give "Delete" option for regular users.

PS: This thread moved to Off-Topic section.
    Star Wars Battlefront Community Forums Moderator
  • Alwe15 wrote: »

One - there used to be a "disagree" but snowflakes couldn't cope with having their opinion down voted, so it was removed. The "LOL" option was then used as a disagree alternative and the snowflakes complained once again, so it was removed. Rumour has it that "insightful" is the new LOL which I guess technically makes it a disagree. It's a pretty weak option though and this can be assumed as not even the snowflakes have complained about it!

Two - there are settings you can change about notifications. Mess around with them 👍🏼

Three - 🤷🏼‍♂️

Four - edit the comment and just put "delete" and the mods will usually remove it.

I've tried messing around with my notification settings. They don't change anything. Notifications are still broken. Even if people quote me I don't get notified of it. I have to have "all notifications" enabled in order to keep track of all the threads I've been involved in. It's dumb.
  • Kuvox wrote: »
    The only improvement these forums need is for the devs to visit their own forums more frequently and chime in as much as they do elsewhere. You can usually find them on Reddit and Twitter with all the crazies, 11-year-olds and sycophants.

That would be nice, but then again as soon as a Dice dev visits these forums, to look for popular ideas for game changes, they run into the problems I've listed above. When they come looking for game ideas, they get a good sense of popular ideas, but they get a very poor sense of unpopular & divisive ideas. In that outcome a developer doesn't know what to avoid.
  • Batman20 wrote: »
    If you don't get any likes or agrees is how you know nobody likes what you suggested I agree with all the other points you should definitely be notified if someone quotes you and you should be able to delete comments

No, you should read my first qualm again. I say we have no way of knowing if a post is something people disagree with, are divisive on, or are indifferent to. These words mean different things. If a post is something people universally disagree with, we wouldn't know that if a small minority of people decide to upvote the post anyway. If a post is divisive, we wouldn't know that because all you would see is the upvotes from the half of people who agree with the post. If a post is about something people are indifferent to, we wouldn't see many upvotes on it, which isn't a clear indicator of the post being uninteresting, instead of appearing disliked. If the mods would add a "dislike" option, that would save everyone time by not forcing people to sift through every comment section to see where the support leans for an idea.
  • Doctor_Jones
    115 posts Member
    edited February 10

One, there are too many "agree with" options, and not enough "disagree with" options for posts. We have no way of knowing if a post is something that people disagree with, are divisive on, or are simply indifferent to.

We had such option like "Disagree" before and had to remove it. Users used it for other purposes even if a post was really good. That was some kind of trolling, harassment and toxicity, we try to prevent this from happening on our forums. So, that's why the option was removed and there are no plans to return it back.

///
    Two, notifications are broken. If I'm replying to a lot of threads, I never get notifications from the people who are actually REPLYING to my comments. Which means I have to manually look through every post I've commented on to see if people are replying to me.

Please check your Notification preferences and make sure that the option responsible for this is enabled for you: https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/profile/preferences/

///
    Three, comment signatures blend in with the rest of a person's comment, and are too large. There's no separation between a person's actual comment, and their signature. The only difference is the text of a person's signature, it's a little grey, THAT'S IT. Some people have signatures so large that it makes the whole thread bloated.

Well, probably Signatures need some improvements, agree with you. At the moment I'm not aware if anything will be changed for Signature feature.

///
    And four, comments can't be deleted. Seriously, why is there no option to delete your own comments on a post?

This option is not available for regular users for reasons. Any comments must stay on the forums. Even if we remove comments/topics, they are still on the forum, just moved to the private (hidden) area that's visible only for Moderators and Administrators. There are no plans to give "Delete" option for regular users.

One: The game has been out for over 2 years already, you'd think that the initial griefing on the game would've died out by now. The difference between Battlefront 2 at launch and the Battlefront 2 we have now is night and day, and that's a good thing. The game is in an immensely better and more popular position than it was back then. Is griefing really still an issue on this website? You guys should reconsider bringing the "dislike" option back, maybe even for a limited time, to see if widespread griefing still persists.

Two: I've already toyed with my notification settings. They don't work, specifically the "Notify me when people mention me" option. Even with that option on, I don't get notified of people replying directly to my comments, such as when they mention me with the "quote" feature.

Three: Yes, please add a bold line or something that separates comments from comment signatures. And make it so that large signatures are "collapsed" by default, and if someone wants to view the whole thing, they can click an "expand" button. That would be a great feature.

Four: Okay now it makes even less sense for you guys to not have a delete button for users. Like, if you guys can still see an archive of deleted/altered comments, just let people have that feature? If people had the option to delete their comments, just write a script that sends that comment to the same place? When you have all these people writing comments by accident or whatever, and they can't delete it, that just makes threads more bloated.
  • IIPrest0nII
    Two: I've already toyed with my notification settings. They don't work, specifically the "Notify me when people mention me" option. Even with that option on, I don't get notified of people replying directly to my comments, such as when they mention me with the "quote" feature.

Weird, "Notify me when people mention me" option usually works when someone tag you like this way @Doctor_Jones

See if you received a notification after I mentioned(tagged) you in this post.
  • The forums are the neatest part of this franchise to me at this point. Sure a disagree button would be nice but these forums are easy to navigate unlike others
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • rollind24
    6018 posts Member
    edited February 10

///

///

///

One: The game has been out for over 2 years already, you'd think that the initial griefing on the game would've died out by now. The difference between Battlefront 2 at launch and the Battlefront 2 we have now is night and day, and that's a good thing. The game is in an immensely better and more popular position than it was back then. Is griefing really still an issue on this website? You guys should reconsider bringing the "dislike" option back, maybe even for a limited time, to see if widespread griefing still persists.

Three: Yes, please add a bold line or something that separates comments from comment signatures. And make it so that large signatures are "collapsed" by default, and if someone wants to view the whole thing, they can click an "expand" button. That would be a great feature.

Four: Okay now it makes even less sense for you guys to not have a delete button for users. Like, if you guys can still see an archive of deleted/altered comments, just let people have that feature? If people had the option to delete their comments, just write a script that sends that comment to the same place? When you have all these people writing comments by accident or whatever, and they can't delete it, that just makes threads more bloated.

Regarding number one, they know who griefed and banned them. So doubt this is ever happening. It’s just a simple way for them to avoid certain special people that don’t even post here anymore from whining their posts get negative responses that don’t include someone writing an essay
    #infantrylivesmatter
  • Two: I've already toyed with my notification settings. They don't work, specifically the "Notify me when people mention me" option. Even with that option on, I don't get notified of people replying directly to my comments, such as when they mention me with the "quote" feature.

Weird, "Notify me when people mention me" option usually works when someone tag you like this way @Doctor_Jones

I got notified of that mention, but that's not where the problem lies. It's when people are QUOTING your comment, and then you don't get a notification, even though they're still mentioning you in their comment. This is when notifications should be working the most.
  • rollind24 wrote: »
    The forums are the neatest part of this franchise to me at this point. Sure a disagree button would be nice but these forums are easy to navigate unlike others

So you're satisfied with broken features and a lack of basic functions in an online forum?
  • IIPrest0nII

I got notified of that mention, but that's not where the problem lies. It's when people are QUOTING your comment, and then you don't get a notification, even though they're still mentioning you in their comment. This is when notifications should be working the most.

Ahh, if someone quoted your comment, you won't get a notification. That's not broken and working as intended.
  • Two: I've already toyed with my notification settings. They don't work, specifically the "Notify me when people mention me" option. Even with that option on, I don't get notified of people replying directly to my comments, such as when they mention me with the "quote" feature.

Ahh, if someone quoted your comment, you won't get a notification. That's not broken and working as intended.

If that's how the system is supposed to work then that's stupid. The system should be changed to be more common sense, and you know, functional?