criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube

Reaction buttons

JBSeptim
903 posts Member
edited March 20
Ok, Disagree never comes back. I get that. Can we skip the steps into the other direction, until the final form is reached though?

Currently, some people advocate Insightful to be the new "LOL". It is no majority. But seeing an "Insightful" on a comment causes insecurity now. Many players don't use it that way and are unaware of it. But whoever knows, will not manage to value that reaction anymore. It will always feel like an insult, even if it is meant honestly well.

If you want to walk your dangerous path of no disagreement, I will not oppose it. You'll need to remove "Insightful" then, at some point. And people will keep finding alternatives. Which you will have to remove again. Until ultimately, there is only one reaction left.

The issue is: as long as reactions are different, they will always be considered to mean "more" than another. People will feel bad for seeing whatever positive adjective you present them, because as long as there is no negative one, one of the positive ones will get a bad reputation. The only way to end this circle is to make the system laughably simple: only one reaction. Call it "Like", call it "Agree", call it "Awesome", choose a name you like, while they are still available. But this is what you will have to end up with.

Don't get me wrong: I like the complexity of the reaction system. But a complex system with no reaction of opposition will not work. You can encourage people who disagree to write comments, but you shouldn't forbid them to use the reaction (in my honest opinion), yet, if that's what you prefer, you will have to sacrifice the complexity totally, in order to have it work as affirming as you want it to.

(No intention to confront with you again IronSoldier, I just really feel that it can't really stay the way it currently is, so it has to go in either direction: add disagreement or remove levels of agreement.)

Replies

• Currently there are no other plans to change the reaction buttons further as we've said on a few occasions now.
  • I would cautiously like to recommend to consider it. I am aware that it takes time to properly evaluate the situation though, so this is no request of utmost urgency.
  • Remove them all.
  • TjPunx
    1867 posts Member
    Can we have a laughing button, not an lol
  • If they remove insightful wich will be the new lol? I bet awesome will be
  • Blitz3d wrote: »
    If they remove insightful wich will be the new lol? I bet awesome will be

I'd guess Agree, because I doubt the people who want to say "nope" are creative enough to go by anything but the order from left to right.

The idea is to prevent any button from becoming the new LOL though. This ambivalence is nonsense. It shouldn't even exist.
  • ImAGr8Panda
    891 posts Member
    edited March 27
    JBSeptim wrote: »
    Blitz3d wrote: »

I'd guess Agree, because I doubt the people who want to say "nope" are creative enough to go by anything but the order from left to right.

The idea is to prevent any button from becoming the new LOL though. This ambivalence is nonsense. It shouldn't even exist.

Remove all reaction buttons, or better yet remove the people that use insightful as a "lol" button, I prefer the second option 😁🤣😂
  • JBSeptim wrote: »
    Blitz3d wrote: »

Remove all reaction buttons, or better yet remove the people that use insightful as a "lol" button, I prefer the second option 😁🤣😂

Sounds good to me, yes 😂

Removing all but one should enough though, using the only option to agree as a way to disagree is so counter-intuitive that I doubt it would succeed like that. At least, if I don't dare people to do that 😅
  • please add a "rueful grimace" emote
    Order of Strike maps leading up to Extraction:
    Kamino -> Mos Eisley -> Death Star II -> Kessel -> Jabba's