criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
August Community Calendar

Suggestion on the large vs small map situation

ArchAngeL_777
1752 posts Member
edited March 2016
The map count now sits at 16 small vs 7 large. If you honestly plan on addressing this in any meaningful way, it needs to be made public ASAP.

For over 3 months, large game modes only had FIVE maps in the rotation. Its not enough to add one or two free maps to a small rotation people are tired of playing. Outer Rim DLC needed to address this. It was a chance to give large map players a reason to stick around. Instead, you chose to further stack the deck in favor of small maps.

So why the urgency? The spring and early summer release calendar is packed full of games for people to move on to. You've sent a message with Outer Rim that you are more concerned with small map players. So what reason does a large map player have for sticking around? Why should he or she believe this is ever going to be addressed?

Honestly, it may actually be too late. It may be best to just stay with the small map crowd, I don't want to say that because i wanted to stick with this game. But like many large map players, I'm not interested in waiting for the next DLC to see what happens. Not with all these other game coming out. And truth to be told, that next paid DLC needs to be all big maps to address this issue since Outer Rim had none. What are the chances of that happening? haha

Replies

• Iki
    85 posts Member
    The map count now sits at 16 small vs 7 large. If you honestly plan on addressing this in any meaningful way, it needs to be made public ASAP.

For over 3 months, large game modes only had FIVE maps in the rotation. Its not enough to add one or two free maps to a small rotation people are tired of playing. Outer Rim DLC needed to address this. It was a chance to give large map players a reason to stick around. Instead, you chose to further stack the deck in favor of small maps.

So why the urgency? The spring and early summer release calendar is packed full of games for people to move on to. You've sent a message with Outer Rim that you are more concerned with small map players. So what reason does a large map player have for sticking around? Why should he or she believe this is ever going to be addressed?

Honestly, it may actually be too late. I don't want to say that because i wanted to stick with this game. But like many large map players, I'm not interested in waiting for the next DLC to see what happens. Not with all these other game coming out. And truth to be told, that next paid DLC needs to be all big maps to address this issue since Outer Rim had none. What are the chance of that happening? haha

The next DLC is bespin. (cloud city) so larger more open maps, probably designed with some air to air combat... I'd say there's a good chance we get some large maps.
  • Did you not like the math in your previous thread on this exact same topic? You literally just got 2 more maps this month, in the base game playlist at that. I'd love for 2 more base game cargo maps to come my way instead and you can have a large dlc instead of outer rim.
  • fyrefox46 wrote: »
    Did you not like the math in your previous thread on this exact same topic? You literally just got 2 more maps this month, in the base game playlist at that. I'd love for 2 more base game cargo maps to come my way instead and you can have a large dlc instead of outer rim.

The math is 16 small - 7 large = a NINE map difference between maps available for small vs large game modes. You keep trying to dance around this, but that is still the problem.

Cargo can be put on any small map. It's not that hard to figure out. None of the small game modes, other than maybe this new Extraction mode, are too complex to put on any one of the small maps. They just haven't done it, same as Turning Point was only on Jakku for the first two months it was out.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1752 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    What's most ironic about this situation is the fact that all the commercials show people flying into battle in X-wings with walkers all around and tons of explosions, etc., none of which happens on small maps.

I wouldn't be this mad about it if I hadn't dropped $50 on a season pass thinking DICE would actually do something to breathe serious life into the paltry collection of large maps before summer. Worst case, I thought we'd get two large maps in Outer Rim bringing our large map total to a decent 9. I say decent because by the spring DLC, Battlefield 4 had 18 total large maps. 9 still makes for a good rotation of maps though, with almost twice as many as we had for the first 3 months.

So what's the plan? Are we going to get more free large maps in between this DLC release and the next one? Will there be at least two large maps in the next DLC?
  • Please, just quit. Stop making threads about this or that making you not want to play and quit.

There was just a free large map released. If you bothered to watch any of the stream and listen to the Devs, they said this is CQC DLC. The rest will not be. I don't know how else they can explain that to you. Should they draw it in crayon for you?

Your self centered attitude is incredibly irritating. You are essentially **** that some players got what they wanted, but you didn't, so that's not okay.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1752 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    QQnerfQQ wrote: »
    Please, just quit. Stop making threads about this or that making you not want to play and quit.

There was just a free large map released. If you bothered to watch any of the stream and listen to the Devs, they said this is CQC DLC. The rest will not be. I don't know how else they can explain that to you. Should they draw it in crayon for you?

Your self centered attitude is incredibly irritating. You are essentially **** that some players got what they wanted, but you didn't, so that's not okay.

That rich you calling me self centered, coming in here telling me to quit, when you have 16 small maps now...SIXTEEN. That's more than twice the large map count. They gave you two small maps free along with the two free large maps, then tossed you a DLC full of more small maps.

You're being taken care of, and then some. Large map players are not. The only reason there aren't more in here complaining is they have already left the game. They were tired of playing the same 5 maps for 3 months while you had a full set of 10 small maps to play, and a CQC map pack isn't going to bring them back. Whether they announced it on a stream is irrelevant.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member
    Idk I think the large maps we have are so damn good I can personally wait for new maps because I know they'll be good. Plus it takes Atleast 2/3 hours to go thru all of em anyway? I would know because I do this EVERYTHING DAY unless my team is on the extreme of good or bad and it goes significantly faster by about an hour or so. And The small maps "imo " are kinda boring and repetitive? Each map is in a building with props everywhere, or its dense in the center and super exposed in the outskirts. I'd say us large map players are better taken care of. But we each can have our opinions.
  • ArchAngeL_777
    1752 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Sb2432 wrote: »
    Idk I think the large maps we have are so damn good I can personally wait for new maps because I know they'll be good. Plus it takes Atleast 2/3 hours to go thru all of em anyway? I would know because I do this EVERYTHING DAY unless my team is on the extreme of good or bad and it goes significantly faster by about an hour or so. And The small maps "imo " are kinda boring and repetitive? Each map is in a building with props everywhere, or its dense in the center and super exposed in the outskirts. I'd say us large map players are better taken care of. But we each can have our opinions.

yea I agree on your points. I'm not in any way knocking the quality of the large maps we have. They are a lot of fun. And you're right, the small maps are definitely boring and repetitive by comparison. They do have some good small maps, but there's several that leave a lot to be desired. Outside of the new maps, there's very minimal variation in style and layout as you point out.

I just know a lot of people that left this game because they played those same 5 maps over and over for months and got tired of them. They have all been watching to see what this DLC was going to offer in hopes of it helping breath more new life into the large map count.

It's not that the idea of a CQC map pack is in itself terrible. it's the fact it is our first one instead of maybe the third. So the big map players get left waiting a long time. I actually expect this "death star" pack to be smaller maps, so to me that should have been the CQC pack.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member

yea I agree on your points. I'm not in any way knocking the quality of the large maps we have. They are a lot of fun. And you're right, the small maps are definitely boring and repetitive by comparison. They do have some good small maps, but there's several that leave a lot to be desired. Outside of the new maps, there's very minimal variation in style and layout as you point out.

I just know a lot of people that left this game because they played those same 5 maps over and over for months and got tired of them. They have all been watching to see what this DLC was going to offer in hopes of it helping breath more new life into the large map count.

It's not that the idea of a CQC map pack is in itself terrible. it's the fact it is our first one instead of maybe the third. So the big map players get left waiting a long time. I actually expect this "death star" pack to be smaller maps, so to me that should have been the CQC pack.

Ya I know what you mean, but I think the DLC shouldn't have been so spread out, I mean this game launched in November I believe? And no large map pack content until maybe bespin which is in the summer? Not even sure about that though. But I have no problem with outer rim maps, I just hate the playlist.
  • Sb2432 wrote: »

Ya I know what you mean, but I think the DLC shouldn't have been so spread out, I mean this game launched in November I believe? And no large map pack content until maybe bespin which is in the summer? Not even sure about that though. But I have no problem with outer rim maps, I just hate the playlist.

Exactly, the game launched in November, so now the earliest we will get large maps in the paid DLC is June or July. That's a long time to wait, and why I said in my OP that it might be too long to hope for large map players to make a return to the game. And like you said, that's assuming Bespin actually has large maps. I don't think the new maps themselves are bad either, but this playlist is awful. I don't want to have to quit every time a game mode comes up that I don't want to play.
  • Sb2432
    2605 posts Member

Exactly, the game launched in November, so now the earliest we will get large maps in the paid DLC is June or July. That's a long time to wait, and why I said in my OP that it might be too long to hope for large map players to make a return to the game. And like you said, that's assuming Bespin actually has large maps. I don't think the new maps themselves are bad either, but this playlist is awful. I don't want to have to quit every time a game mode comes up that I don't want to play.

Yup, the struggle lol I know I'll still be here, I can play this game everyday but I can't play longer than a couple hours like I stared earlier lol and I think what's gone is gone? But if they announce a hero like chewbacca, lando calrissian or when death star dlc comes out, Everyone will come back, who could resist those 3?xD
  • Sb2432 wrote: »

Yup, the struggle lol I know I'll still be here, I can play this game everyday but I can't play longer than a couple hours like I stared earlier lol and I think what's gone is gone? But if they announce a hero like chewbacca, lando calrissian or when death star dlc comes out, Everyone will come back, who could resist those 3?xD

It will get my interest for sure. My faith in what's going on with this game though has been shattered. I just don't get the decision to make this first DLC CQC. I was really looking forward to maybe a return to the game with a couple of large maps in this DLC, bringing us to 9 total. But even then, if they mechanized it like they did this playlist, we'd just be playing those 2 maps in a rotation on their own which would not be good haha