criterion-sm dice-lg ea-starwars-lg instagram lucasfilm-lg motive-lg twitch you-tube
Focused Feedback

Good star wars books?

Prev1
Tattered29
1025 posts Member
On these forums i read alot of people commenting about stuff from books and i already get recommendations from audible for some of the star wars books and was thinking about trying some out and just wanted to know some good ones to try out. Any help would be apreciated

Replies

• dada_shift
    1730 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    I recently discovered Battlefront Twilight Company

Have not read it..but plan on it

Synopsis sounds insane
    [This coming from someone who has never read any of the literature]
  • modulair
    320 posts Member
    All the old star wars comics are on Marvel unlimited now, if you are into comics anyway
  • The Force Awakens novel adaptation by Alan Dean Foster is great. The audio book (if you're into that) is also spectacular. I've heard great things about Aftermath, as well as Battlefront Twilight Company but I haven't got around to reading them yet.
  • I'm currently reading 'Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company' by Alexander Freed. About two-thirds of the way through and great so far. It ties in loosely to the game with references to some of the infantry weapons we get to use and also some of the locations. It's set between Ep IV and runs into the start of Ep V.

:)
  • JackTHorn
    3695 posts Member
    I can't stand most Star Wars books published before 2013, excepting the novelization and Splinter Of The Mind's Eye. They mostly just read like mediocre fan fiction with only a loose grasp of the feel of the Star Wars universe. Though I guess the Thrawn trilogy was okay-ish.

Mostly I'd recommend the Clone Wars comics, volumes 1-10, starting with "Defense Of Kamino" and finishing with "Endgame". Good writing, good Star Wars feel, excellent character development, especially for Anakin -- by the time the series finishes, you feel like you really understand how and why he fell to the dark side. Which was of course the main failing of the prequel movies. Of course, the Clone Wars animated TV show also accomplishes this, and now the animated show is canon while the comics are not, but both are very worthwhile.

Other than the comics, there are a number of good books out recently. I just read and liked "Aftermath", the story of the second to last battle with the Empire over the planet Akiva -- it contains some hints at the very end about the beginnings of the formation of the First Order. Another one called "Before The Awakening", though a young adult book, is good for learning more about the three main protagonists of the new Force Awakens movie, showing scenes from their lives right up until the start of the movie. The book "Tarkin" was decent, too.
  • Vakyoom
    995 posts Member
    I read most of the x-wing Novel series from back in the day, it was about rogue squadron headed by wedge Antilles.. Book 5 it turned into half commando squad half rogue squadron but they were good still. Even though it's not canon anymore they're still full of good action and inter-squad drama.

Also the Han Solo and vader trilogies, along with the old future trilogy,were awesome...lots of juicy no-longer-cannon material but these books may just confuse you for lore in upcoming movies.

I haven't read any of the new canon books/comics but I've only heard good things about them.
    Cycler lyfe -- All about that Ishi Tib!
  • Tarkin was really good imo. The little bit of Twilight Company I read was pretty good. Lost Stars was really really good. Aftermath was not great, except Mr. Bones.
  • I really enjoyed Heir to the Empire and Shadows of the Empire.
  • JackTHorn
    3695 posts Member
    Oh, and the new Vader comics are pretty great. Also the "Shattered Empire" one that just came out -- tells the story of Poe Dameron's mother and father and the role they played in fighting the Empire just after the Battle of Endor. Should lead in well to the Rogue Squadron movie.
  • Having been a fan for a long time I've been very happy with all of the new cannon. Twilight company was very good and so was lost stars.

If you ever wanted to get into reading star wars books now is the time. You'll have a bit to catch up on but it's great because many characters will grow across several book series (Sloan for example), and it turns into an awesome long story arc of you read them in order of release of that makes sense.

Also, minor details in the books will allude to things in the upcoming movies. For example in the servants of the empire series you meet commander huxes father, and see his vision of the future where the empire trains recruits from birth.
  • Legacy of the Force (series)... hands down. nothing better. han solos trilogy is a good one too. as for comics my favorite series was Legacy because its a little darker star wars stuff. I really enjoyed most of what i read of the EU material but my heart always goes out to Legacy of the Force.
    Deathstick addict. PSN: tuffgnar
  • Evdoflav
    249 posts Member
    The "Thrawn Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn is good reading.
  • SmokyCashew01
    378 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time and introduces the most notorious and liked character of the expanded universe)
    rsz_grand-admiral-thrawn-371x194.jpg

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

-new jedi order series (brings a new fresh enemy and the empire is a good guy and teams up wit the jedi and new republic, no boring sith vs jedi)
    latest?cb=20121006163518

-dark nest trilogy (these weren't really good but they bridge the gap between new jedi order and the nest books)
    Star-Wars-Swarm-War-Art.jpg

-legacy of the force series (where the force awakens got almost all their ideas from)
    jaina-solo-2.jpg

-fate of the jedi (jedi and sith team up to stop the harbinger of chaos)
    star_wars__fate_of_the_jedi__culmination_wallpaper_by_electricboa-d60d6un.png

i am currently on the third book of the legacy of the force series. so far all these books have been amazing. definitely more original and fresh than the force awakens but everyone has their own tastes
  • Lost Stars is brilliant! Otherwise the Thrawn Trilogy of course! =)
  • DarthGalidus
    701 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time)
    -hand of thrawn duology
    -new jedi order series (brings a new fresh enemy and the empire is a good guy and teams up wit the jedi and new republic, no boring sith vs jedi)
    -dark nest trilogy (these weren't really good but they bridge the gap between new jedi order and the nest books)
    -legacy of the force series (where the force awakens got almost all their ideas from)

i am currently on the third book of the legacy of the force series. so far all these books have been amazing. definitely more original and fresh than the force awakens but everyone has their own tastes

i was gonna say new jedi order but its like 19 books and i had to push through some, but some area really cool. Yuuzhan Vong is a sweet enemy, very new and refreshing. plus this series kills off a huge character much like TFA and i thought it was way cooler than you know whos death.
  • psa: The books marked as "Legends" are longer canon.
  • Twilight Company was by far one of my favorite books, not just because its star wars and Rebel allaince affiliated, but it's got amazing character development with the protagonist Sergeant Namir. I also liked it because it doesn't deal with jedi and sith, so we get a pure military look into the war that was the backdrop for the OT. I also read Aftermath, that was also a good book and nice window into after Endor, I'm currently looking for Lost Stars. But twilight Company was by far my favorite. I recommend reading both of them along with others.
  • DarthGalidus
    701 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    is Plagueis still canon? that one is really awesome if you want to know Palpatines story. I have it on audible and have listened to it 3 times
  • Lost Stars is brilliant! Otherwise the Thrawn Trilogy of course! =)
    -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time)
    -hand of thrawn duology

i was gonna say new jedi order but its like 19 books and i had to push through some, but some area really cool. Yuuzhan Vong is a sweet enemy, very new and refreshing. plus this series kills off a huge character much like TFA and i thought it was way cooler than you know whos death.

see people agree with my list. canon or not these books are what gave star wars life and inspired george lucas to even continue star wars. these books will always be better than the force awakens but it does take dedication and a lot of time.
  • If we are talking comics as well, absolutely check out the mini-series from a few years back called Agent of the Empire.
  • DarthJ
    6687 posts Member
    JackTHorn wrote: »
    Oh, and the new Vader comics are pretty great. Also the "Shattered Empire" one that just came out -- tells the story of Poe Dameron's mother and father and the role they played in fighting the Empire just after the Battle of Endor. Should lead in well to the Rogue Squadron movie.

Agreed, the Vader comic series has been superb, the main series has been good and the lando miniseries was great. I read 'before the awakening' recently and enjoyed it, gives a bit more insight into Poe, Finn and Rey before ep 7.
    PSN: ibrajoker59
  • deadbydawn wrote: »
    If we are talking comics as well, absolutely check out the mini-series from a few years back called Agent of the Empire.

listen to this guy. like star wars james bond its sweet
  • Evdoflav
    249 posts Member
    "If we are talking comics as well, absolutely check out the mini-series from a few years back called Agent of the Empire."

The Darkhorse Comics in the early 90's the "Dark Empire" series is good.
  • Just finished lords of the sith yesterday . Good read. I jedi, x-wing series, tales of the bounty hunters, Han solo trilogy, shadows of the Empire, thrawn series all good
  • -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time and introduces the most notorious and liked character of the expanded universe)

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

A heroic empire???? Where please show me, I must see it.
  • Tattered29
    1025 posts Member
    deadbydawn wrote: »
    The Force Awakens novel adaptation by Alan Dean Foster is great. The audio book (if you're into that) is also spectacular. I've heard great things about Aftermath, as well as Battlefront Twilight Company but I haven't got around to reading them yet.

Ya i listen to audiobooks on the way to work i usually have to drive an hour + ,and some of the recommendations were the force awakens and twilight company also darth plagueis
  • Kraigbot
    696 posts Member
    goodnight_darth_vader_cover.jpg

Read this to my son regularly :)
  • Kraigbot wrote: »
    goodnight_darth_vader_cover.jpg

Read this to my son regularly :)

haha i got Vader's Little Princess for my first fathers day. for sure a good read. not entirely sure its canon though haha.
  • keep ´ em coming! I have just finished Tarkin and are a good half into Twilight company, but after that I gonna need some more good ones - and there are a plethora of Star Wars mediocres out there...
    Playstation 4 fun :p Proud member of the 3PO community
  • Tattered29 wrote: »
    On these forums i read alot of people commenting about stuff from books and i already get recommendations from audible for some of the star wars books and was thinking about trying some out and just wanted to know some good ones to try out. Any help would be apreciated

Read the Darth Bane trilogy as your last books.

Everything else after that will dissapoint you
  • This isn't a popular opinion, but I thought that Star Wars: Deathtroopers was pretty good.
  • This isn't a popular opinion, but I thought that Star Wars: Deathtroopers was pretty good.

Pretty good audiobooks too.
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    If you're a real fan of Star Wars who never tried any EU book, then you need to do yourself a favor and pick up the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

A screen adaptation of that would have been so, si much better than that awful movie we got last year.

Everything else varies in quality from pretty good (very few ones) to decent (some) to absolutely abysmal (most of the stuff around).
  • Deerber wrote: »
    If you're a real fan of Star Wars who never tried any EU book, then you need to do yourself a favor and pick up the Heir to the Empire trilogy.

A screen adaptation of that would have been so, si much better than that awful movie we got last year.

Everything else varies in quality from pretty good (very few ones) to decent (some) to absolutely abysmal (most of the stuff around).

Thrawn Trilogy? I fell asleep
  • Deerber
    766 posts Member
    Deerber wrote: »

Thrawn Trilogy? I fell asleep

Well then you're a special kind of a snowflake. Most of the world loved it, so the OP's much more likely to enjoy it than to fall asleep.
  • Deerber wrote: »

preach budy
  • SmokyCashew01
    378 posts Member
    edited April 2016
    -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time and introduces the most notorious and liked character of the expanded universe)

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

@VengefulSoul550 In the books new jedi order series, legacy of the force series and i'm haven't read fate of the jedi so i don't know about those.

in new jedi order series (21 books total) the yuuzhan vong, an extragalactic barbaric alien race with completely organic technology has invaded the star wars galaxy and are on a religious quest to kill all infidels that mock life by weilding mechanical technologies. they believe in some prophecy. the vong pretty much take over the entire galaxy and even coruscant and kick the new republic and the empire (which are now at peace but keep to themselves) into the corners of the galaxy. the two sides put their differences aside and form the galactic federation of free alliances. together they repel the vong against all odds but it results in the deaths of 365 trillion people.

in legacy of the force jacen solo the son of leia and han turns to the dark side and kills luke's wife. after taking control of the galactic alliance as darth caedus, the empire leaves the alliance because it has been taken over by the sith and the empire makes a coalition with the jedi to stop him. the empire is really centered as the good guys in this one.

although not a book, the star wars legacy comics have the empire now a mornachy constitution rather than a totalitarian goverment and they have roan fel, a light side force user as its emperor. after winning the war against the galactic alliance (which he didn't want) the sith overthrow him and attempt to kill him. emperor fel escapes and with him a fragment of loyal troops including the 501st. he teams up with the fragments of the GA(galactic alliance) and the remaining jedi (because the new sith empire killed them) and the three fight against darth krayt's sith empire. they successfully defeat him and they form the galactic triumvirate and that is the end of star wars lore. we know nothing about star wars beyond that point

so in these two books and comic the empire is the real good guys. it's such a nice change. i really do suggest you read in the order that i told you to read the books in because of the reoccurring characters and their character development. for example. jacen solo's fall to the dark side spans through almost a dozen books and not just a simple book. we really get to know why someone would do such a thing
  • -thrawn trilogy (known as the best star wars books of all time and introduces the most notorious and liked character of the expanded universe)

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

@VengefulSoul550 In the books new jedi order series, legacy of the force series and i'm haven't read fate of the jedi so i don't know about those.

in new jedi order series (21 books total) the yuuzhan vong, an extragalactic barbaric alien race with completely organic technology has invaded the star wars galaxy and are on a religious quest to kill all infidels that mock life by weilding mechanical technologies. they believe in some prophecy. the vong pretty much take over the entire galaxy and even coruscant and kick the new republic and the empire (which are now at peace but keep to themselves) into the corners of the galaxy. the two sides put their differences aside and form the galactic federation of free alliances. together they repel the vong against all odds but it results in the deaths of 365 trillion people.

in legacy of the force jacen solo the son of leia and han turns to the dark side and kills luke's wife. after taking control of the galactic alliance as darth caedus, the empire leaves the alliance because it has been taken over by the sith and the empire makes a coalition with the jedi to stop him. the empire is really centered as the good guys in this one.

although not a book, the star wars legacy comics have the empire now a mornachy constitution rather than a totalitarian goverment and they have roan fel, a light side force user as its emperor. after winning the war against the galactic alliance (which he didn't want) the sith overthrow him and attempt to kill him. emperor fel escapes and with him a fragment of loyal troops including the 501st. he teams up with the fragments of the GA(galactic alliance) and the remaining jedi (because the new sith empire killed them) and the three fight against darth krayt's sith empire. they successfully defeat him and they form the galactic triumvirate and that is the end of star wars lore. we know nothing about star wars beyond that point

so in these two books and comic the empire is the real good guys. it's such a nice change. i really do suggest you read in the order that i told you to read the books in because of the reoccurring characters and their character development. for example. jacen solo's fall to the dark side spans through almost a dozen books and not just a simple book. we really get to know why someone would do such a thing

Why couldn't this be the new trilogy? It sounds soooo much better than the force awakens IMO.
  • Darth Bane:Path of Destruction.

Star Wars:Dark Forces trilogy.

Star Wars:Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide.

De beesga coo palyeeya pityee bo tenya go kaka juju hoopa. :D
    luke.png
  • Read most of the now legends books. Always loved the minor details of the sw universe. Got the first Shakespearean Star Wars script for Christmas "Verily. A New Hope" it's pretty funny and worth looking up
  • Joonlar
    1154 posts Member
    Of the books I've read:

Kenobi - 5/10

Lords of the Sith - 8/10

Labyrinth of Evil - 6/10

Darth Plagieus - 9/10

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

Why couldn't this be the new trilogy? It sounds soooo much better than the force awakens IMO.

Basically to me the old canon is the real canon and whatever disney adds is also canon as long as it does not overwrite the old canon. You can also give some of the new canon novels a try they are also pretty good although aftermath is complete no no to me because it screws everything up. A new dawn is actually really good. it's the prologue to star wars rebels. although starkiller will always be the real spark of the rebellion there were many rebellions including a kamino uprising, a confederate defiance, kota's malitia, etc. the rebels show is just another one of these.
  • Lost Stars, Rey's story and Before the awakening

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

Basically to me the old canon is the real canon and whatever disney adds is also canon as long as it does not overwrite the old canon. You can also give some of the new canon novels a try they are also pretty good although aftermath is complete no no to me because it screws everything up. A new dawn is actually really good. it's the prologue to star wars rebels. although starkiller will always be the real spark of the rebellion there were many rebellions including a kamino uprising, a confederate defiance, kota's malitia, etc. the rebels show is just another one of these.

We need more imperial stories and Imperial games instead of rebels. The rebels have too much already.

-hand of thrawn duology
    VlVvYQw.jpg

latest?cb=20121006163518

jaina-solo-2.jpg

We need more imperial stories and Imperial games instead of rebels. The rebels have too much already.

preach brother! that's what made the battllefront 2 campaign so good! Death to the Terrorists, Long Live The Empire!
  • Legacy of the Force is what The Force Awakens should have been
  • I've listened to all the canon books via audible.com below are my top 3

Lords of the Sith
    Lost Star
    Battlefront Twilight Company
  • deadbydawn wrote: »
    If we are talking comics as well, absolutely check out the mini-series from a few years back called Agent of the Empire.

listen to this guy. like star wars james bond its sweet

It's totally James Bond meets Star Wars. So good.
  • Now I am currently reading Twilight Company. Highly recommended!
  • DarthJ
    6687 posts Member
    deadbydawn wrote: »
    Now I am currently reading Twilight Company. Highly recommended!

That's my next buy! I'm reading the episode 7 novel currently. Adds a little extra to the film.
    PSN: ibrajoker59